Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

We really screwed the pooch by focusing on the Russians, huh?

On the bright side the war's probably going to kill a lot fewer people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
how did the Entente mass a million men over in a single area!? That seems kind of odd to be able to do on such a narrow frontway in 1915.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So remember when people said it would be a good idea to focus on the Western front BEFORE they could leverage having some of the largest economies and strongest armies in the world against us?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

wedgekree posted:

how did the Entente mass a million men over in a single area!? That seems kind of odd to be able to do on such a narrow frontway in 1915.

Well, they've not lost huge areas of land - including 80% of their iron mines.

Basically not hitting France gives them a LOT more resources and manpower.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Well, they've not lost huge areas of land - including 80% of their iron mines.

Basically not hitting France gives them a LOT more resources and manpower.

Ow. Point on that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Kitchener is going to march into Berlin, isn't he?

Also, the obscure VLADIMIR NIKOLAEVICH Gorbatovskii should be commanding the 12th army corpus, at least by one book on the internet.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

JcDent posted:

Kitchener is going to march into Berlin, isn't he?

Also, the obscure VLADIMIR NIKOLAEVICH Gorbatovskii should be commanding the 12th army corpus, at least by one book on the internet.

"Home before the Leaves are Back!"

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Its almost like attacking into superior numbers is a bad idea

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!
Wow, that game looks amazing and hard as hell at the same time, the Allies managed to do what they failed to accomplished in real life already.

By the way, in the ''Casualties report'' in the ''Prisoners Taken'' part, is the game telling us about the Allied soldiers we captured or about the Austrian and German soldiers captured by the Ententes? And if (like I think) it's about the prisoners we have taken, is there a way to know about our own captured soldiers or is it considered defeatist propaganda?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

wedgekree posted:

The Allies start with an army group HQ on the Western Front, and armies attached to the same HQ can aid each other from neighboring provinces. This makes it rather difficult to attack under most circumstances. You'll notice that Grey Hunter was only able to set up a Western HQ this turn (our second, as we started with an eastern one from our decision to focus on the Russians), which is why we have been pushed back in the first place. Our armies in the west have been isolated from each other until now, so that great big Allied stack didn't have to deal with mutually supporting defenses.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It should also be noted that to do so cost me 2,000 VP's - it was that or ship Hindenburg to the other side.

But Hindenburg is not eligible for promotion, even though he gets angry that you skip over him!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

It should also be noted that to do so cost me 2,000 VP's - it was that or ship Hindenburg to the other side.

But Hindenburg is not eligible for promotion, even though he gets angry that you skip over him!

:ageod:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
hot take: we're losing

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

hot take: we're losing

The war might be unwinnable, but we need a great victory so we can negotiate an end from a position of strength.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

We're losing but not defeated. It all depends on if or how fast we can crush the entitlement in the east. We have not a lot of space we can trade for time in the West.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The game tries to follow history, so the CP always have the hardest time winning: while attacking France would have made the start easier, we would still have ended up with the same "Germany can't realistically fight a war on two fronts" problem once Russia got it's poo poo together.

Of course, it might have been better to play Germany's defensive plan and attack with the Austrians, since the Germans don't need *that* many armies to beat the Russians with good planning; but good planning only comes with experience, so :shrug:.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, the Great Kitchener's Waaagh of 1915 will be remembered as one of the strongest and deadliest known in Empire history.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We try and hold in the West.

Sarrbrucken has a lot more men than it looks.

Von Nedas finally agrees to attack, I order all other units to start closing the pocket.

Bulow is to advance as well.

The advance into Egypt is to continue.

We begin the offensive.

The Pocket slams shut, now to see what is in there.

Its not all victory though!

We finally manage to stall Kitchener's advance.

We push deeper through the desert.

Bulow runs into heavy Russian opposition. He inflicts heavy losses on them before retiring.

Conrad however cannot deal with a force half his size.

We take a fort in Belgrade with heavy losses.

It looks like the Entente have retreated into Metz. I order conservative attacks to see if we can retake some lost ground – it will look good in the papers if we can!

We work on closing the pocket.

Prussia is covered in Russians.

We take on a lost Corps of Entente troops.

The enemy have plenty of supplies in the pocket, but they will not last long.

Von Nedas pushes towards Warsaw, but is stopped with very heavy losses.

This time I shall destroy Rennenkampf!

There are to many enemy troops in Morhange for our men to advance – we do three to one casualties before calling off the advance.

In Lorraine we are able to destroy a French division.

The Russians nearly break out of the pocket, but we are able to hold them in.

Kitchener counter attacks in Lorraine with one and a half million men.

We find Lodz well defended.

With the pocket in place, we have a chance of grinding down the Russians – if we can hold out in the west.

Bulgaria has joined the central powers! We can now open a second front in Serbia and try and wipe them out of the war.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I can't really tell as I don't know these games too well, but what's the entrenchment level looking like at the moment? Have any of the fronts really seen any significant diggin in yet? I mean progress has been kind of light in the east and the French and British are basically doing their own guns of august in the west. Those casualties are pretty insane though, are we currently looking at a half-year long battle of the frontiers?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Ow, those losses in the West are brutal. Good luck with the Bulgarians - the sooner you can pinch off the Serbian end of things, the sooner the Austrians can put all their army to the East, then you can use the Bulgarians to hopefully screen AH against Italy and the Balkans in case the Entente pushes the Romanians or Greeks into thier camp. Otherwise, would suggest using them as second line troops and a strategic reserve after.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Aren't the Bulgarians like way better than the Austrians?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Aren't the Bulgarians like way better than the Austrians?

Probably, but the Austro-Hungarian army is a lot bigger than the Bulgarian one so (in my mind) having a smaller army vulnerable to attrition but higher quality as a genreal strategic reserve to plug holes seems better, presuming I'm actually right at all as opposed to completely wrong.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Good lord man, AH is going to lose all their NM by 1916 at the rate you're taking casualties.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, AH seems to believe that Pyrrhic victory is the only victory worth having :stare: how are they so bad?

Grey Hunter posted:

Bulow is to advance as well.

Elektrėnai (as seen in the picture) was only established in 1960s when the Soviets built a power plant name (hence the name, which would roughly translate to Electroville).

JcDent fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 25, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

JcDent posted:

Yeah, AH seems to believe that Pyrrhic victory is the only victory worth having :stare: how are they so bad?

Elektrėnai (as seen in the picture) was only established in 1960s when the Soviets built a power plant name (hence the name, which would roughly translate to Electroville).

Are you suggesting that an AGEOD game may have mistakes in it?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Ironically, AH generals in this game are given okayish stats because their generals irl were so uniquely terrible.

I don't think all is lost quite yet. The worse your NM, the worse troops fight. Russia's NM continues to fall, making their already garbage troops worse and worse. Conversely, this also applies to AH. Whats the end date for this scenario? You might need it :ohdear:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

A White Guy posted:

Ironically, AH generals in this game are given okayish stats because their generals irl were so uniquely terrible.

I don't think all is lost quite yet. The worse your NM, the worse troops fight. Russia's NM continues to fall, making their already garbage troops worse and worse. Conversely, this also applies to AH. Whats the end date for this scenario? You might need it :ohdear:

End of 1918, I believe.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

JcDent posted:

I don't think they had much choice: they would have to expand the region to make it historically correct, or maybe name it after one of the cities.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We see air combat for the first time.

While we welcome Bulgaria into the Central Powers, the Entente gain Greece.

Most of the Western front is on hold, excepts Saarbourg, where we should be able to push back an isolated French unit, and Morhange, where 6 Armee is being sent to support our men.

Prussia continues to be a mess.

The men fighting in the pocket are in desperate need of rest – they loose cohesion so quickly.

We are ready to make some limited pushes in the Ruthanian sector.

The Bulgarians begin to redeploy their forces.

We should see fighting in the Dardenelles soon.

We hand Joffre a bloody defeat.

With gas support, Bulow defeats twice his number of Russians and inflicts four times the casualties he takes.

But the Russians push back at the edges of the Warsaw pocket.

Kitchener throws his weight at Morhange.

This may have broken the pocket.

Kitchener also pushes against our main force, but is rebuked by massed machine gun pits.

Joffre counter attacks at Saarbourg and wins through this time.

We counter-counter attack and push him back with heavy losses.

They try again, but make no ground.

The French then commit a mass of men to the flank at Morhange and push us back there.

The Austrians begin their offensive.

After days of heavy fighting, our Saarbourg positions collapse!

The Entente assault has blown a hole in our lines that I am forced to rush troops to fill.

Prussia is a whirling storm of a conflict, Hindenburg is trying to destroy Rennenkamph, while Bulow is moving to retake Koenigsberg.

The Austrians in the pocket are played out and need to rest before continuing operations, but it doesn't look like they can hold the Russians back.

While the forces on the Ruthanian front are strong, I'm afraid to much movement would leave an open hole for the Russians to pour through!

The Bulgarians go into action this month, and hope to push back the Serbs and Greeks.

The Turkish armies are advancing unopposed through Egypt – it seems the British manpower in France has come at a cost in the rest of the empire!

The Austrians make an attempt for Warsaw, but are repulsed.

The Battle of Saarbourg continues with a nice victory to us.

I finally got this screen to capture! The Turks fall upon the French in the Dardenelles.

French losses total a good three quarters of their force.

The Russians use their seemingly endless streams of manpower to open up a front in Armenia.

The Bulgarian offensive does not start well.

The Russians push at our flanks

This is a better showing by the Bulgarians!

D'Elsa cannot let it go without a fight.

Kitchener expands his bulge.

He also sends his forces forward, but after some bloody fighting we stop them with 2:1 losses – 80,000 casualties is something to write home about!

The Austrians lose more ground, but really make the Russians pay for it in blood.

The Russians are rapidly losing the will to fight – if we can keep on pounding them we may still be able to take them out before the West falls!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

The German people demand revenge against Perfidious Albion! SORTIE THE HIGH SEAS FLEET! :black101:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

HannibalBarca posted:

The German people demand revenge against Perfidious Albion! SORTIE THE HIGH SEAS FLEET! :black101:

Tempting as that is, losing big ships does horrific things to national moral; as such, it's almost never worth the risk.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

thetruegentleman posted:

Tempting as that is, losing big ships does horrific things to national moral; as such, it's almost never worth the risk.

[extremely H+L voice] Your majesty, the current Chancellor here is simply unacceptably defeatist and must be removed from office at once.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

What sort of defensive positions do we have on the east bank of the Rhine?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So in the battles of May 1915 on the main fronts of the war (eastern and western) the following casualties have been sustained (guess you could look at difference between this month and last month to then find out the number of casualties from attrition if it tracks that):

German: 231,753
British and French: 291,581
Russian: 158,691
Austro-Hungarian: 87,143

That has to be the bloodiest month yet. Those casualties are pretty crazy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pershing posted:

What sort of defensive positions do we have on the east bank of the Rhine?

Falling back to the east bank of the Rhine would be a pretty gigantic disaster, a lot of German industry on in the western side I think.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
You appear to be losing.... ?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Well that pocket that was supposed to turn the tide of the war was nice while it lasted.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

PittTheElder posted:

Falling back to the east bank of the Rhine would be a pretty gigantic disaster, a lot of German industry on in the western side I think.

Im not -hoping- for it, just wondering what's there.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Pershing posted:

Im not -hoping- for it, just wondering what's there.

There's not going to be anything as far as prepared defenses go, but attackers do take a malus across a river, and it takes longer for them to enter the zone, as well.

That said, I think the guys above nailed it. If it comes to that, Germany is probably finished - it'd probably be worse for Germany than it was for France losing all the territory Germany occupied during the actual war.

e: I started playing this shortly after the LP started, and from all the forums posts I've read about the game, the W. Entente doomstack is an ongoing problem. It's probably made much worse when you don't invade Belgium and take a lot of French resources/manpower, but the AI definitely has a predilection for one massive army.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well it certainly appears to be working, I wouldn't call it an AI issue.

• Locked thread