Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I have a Seedbox that I use for torrenting. How exactly do I mount this box or vice versa to allow Sonarr/Radarr to view it and sweep/rename/move it into proper folders?

NFS doesn't appear to have much options in Unraid, there is no mechanisms to white/blacklist IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

YouTuber posted:

So I have a Seedbox that I use for torrenting. How exactly do I mount this box or vice versa to allow Sonarr/Radarr to view it and sweep/rename/move it into proper folders?

NFS doesn't appear to have much options in Unraid, there is no mechanisms to white/blacklist IP.

I have the first part of that equation. I have Syncthing setup on my seedbox and my NAS to sync encrypted data between the folders. Syncthing is available as a docker container and I've seen that most seedbox providers have Syncthing as an option to install. The 2nd part however, I'm still tackling with. My local sync folder is separate from where Sonarr/Radarr has access to. Mostly because I want to keep seeding stuff and I don't want Sonarr/Radarr to move the files which in turns deletes the data on the seedbox. Syncthing has an option to set a folder as send only so it won't receive changes from my local folder but, what it will do is resync the data which is sort of waste as I have an upload bandwidth cap on the seedbox.

I haven't figured out a suitable solution yet unfortunately.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The seedbox I was using offered Open VPN as well, so I setup a local Ubuntu VM that only has an internet connection that goes over that VPN and downloaded files directly to a shared drive on my local network. This makes the webUI inaccessible outside of your local network though.

You can run sonarr/radarr on the same VM or on another device if you want to make their interfaces available outside of your local network.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have the first part of that equation. I have Syncthing setup on my seedbox and my NAS to sync encrypted data between the folders. Syncthing is available as a docker container and I've seen that most seedbox providers have Syncthing as an option to install. The 2nd part however, I'm still tackling with. My local sync folder is separate from where Sonarr/Radarr has access to. Mostly because I want to keep seeding stuff and I don't want Sonarr/Radarr to move the files which in turns deletes the data on the seedbox. Syncthing has an option to set a folder as send only so it won't receive changes from my local folder but, what it will do is resync the data which is sort of waste as I have an upload bandwidth cap on the seedbox.

Sonarr and Radarr have a copy option. Would that work?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

G-Prime posted:

Sonarr and Radarr have a copy option. Would that work?

Yes and no. I have setup the copy option before but on occasion, and I don't know if it's to do with my setup or a nuance with Sonarr/Radarr, it will assume that files in the sync folder are to replace the already existing files that are already organized and renamed, etc..

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I had Sonarr/Radarr on the remote server and had my FreeNAS share mounted via NFS so they would move them quite easily. However I don't think this will work with the inverse even if I mount the completed folder for the torrent program. I'd prefer to keep all these programs running on my Unraid box.

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/44104-unassigned-devices-managing-disk-drives-outside-of-the-unraid-array/

I may attempt this plugin to mount the seedbox, but that'll come in a day or two.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 29, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

YouTuber posted:

I had Sonarr/Radarr on the remote server and had my FreeNAS share mounted via NFS so they would move them quite easily. However I don't think this will work with the inverse even if I mount the completed folder for the torrent program. I'd prefer to keep all these programs running on my Unraid box.

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/44104-unassigned-devices-managing-disk-drives-outside-of-the-unraid-array/

I may attempt this plugin to mount the seedbox, but that'll come in a day or two.

Everything I'm running is on my OMV3 box through docker containers. Syncthing on the seedbox is the only extraneous thing outside of rtorrent on it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Just rsync the diff between your seed folders and final location to a temporary directory that radarr can then move things from?

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I'm running a server at home for Plex + nzb's that I've got pretty much automated now through programs like Sonarr, Radarr, etc. It's been coming together over a number of years so has 6 disks of varying sizes and with data on, and it's running Windows 10 at the moment which I want to stick with.

I've been looking for a raid style solution for it and had originally settled on snapraid, however I've been playing with it a bit and feel like I'm swimming in a sea of unsupported powershell scripts and random forum posts from years ago as to how to make it do simple tasks like sync daily and alert me when a drive drops out. I tried using the (unofficial) Elucidate gui too but it seems to be so outdated that it couldn't even create a working config file anymore. Is there a better way out there?

I know about flexraid but I've also seen the many posts complaining about it across the internet, is it nearly as bad as people seem to make out, or would that do what I want without making me feel like I'm always guessing if it's actually properly giving me redundancy?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KingKapalone posted:

When replacing a drive in FreeNAS, after you pop it in do you need to have had it formatted in anyway? My friend said he's always had to connect them to his desktop in his external drive enclosure to format it before then putting it in the NAS. FreeNAS doesn't accept it otherwise. I don't know all the details on how to do it yet but that doesn't sound right to me.

You do not need to format it. In fact, I just did this thanks to a failed drive: Pulled out the bad drive, took the new one out of the packaging, slotted it in, told FreeNAS to replace the missing drive with the new one, resilver started, a few hours later it's all done.

If the drive already has some data on it (even if it's empty but has defined partitions of any sort) ZFS will warn you that the disk is not empty. In that case you still don't need to format it--you just need to click the checkbox for "force" in the GUI, or add the force flag if you're using the CLI. ZFS will then wipe the drive and format it as it needs.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

DJ Burette posted:

I'm running a server at home for Plex + nzb's that I've got pretty much automated now through programs like Sonarr, Radarr, etc. It's been coming together over a number of years so has 6 disks of varying sizes and with data on, and it's running Windows 10 at the moment which I want to stick with.

I've been looking for a raid style solution for it and had originally settled on snapraid, however I've been playing with it a bit and feel like I'm swimming in a sea of unsupported powershell scripts and random forum posts from years ago as to how to make it do simple tasks like sync daily and alert me when a drive drops out. I tried using the (unofficial) Elucidate gui too but it seems to be so outdated that it couldn't even create a working config file anymore. Is there a better way out there?

I know about flexraid but I've also seen the many posts complaining about it across the internet, is it nearly as bad as people seem to make out, or would that do what I want without making me feel like I'm always guessing if it's actually properly giving me redundancy?

Check out drivepool from stablebit. It's free for 30days and just $30 for a license if you want to keep it. Adding drives to the drivepool doesn't erase the data on them which makes trying it out easy.

I set it up recently and was very impressed with how easy and functional it was.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

THF13 posted:

Check out drivepool from stablebit. It's free for 30days and just $30 for a license if you want to keep it. Adding drives to the drivepool doesn't erase the data on them which makes trying it out easy.

I set it up recently and was very impressed with how easy and functional it was.

I'm using their scanner so I'd quite like to use drivepool too but I was under the impression that it just did drive mirroring? I'm looking for a raid6 style solution at the moment as I've got 6 full drives and only space in my case for 2 more.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

DJ Burette posted:

I'm using their scanner so I'd quite like to use drivepool too but I was under the impression that it just did drive mirroring? I'm looking for a raid6 style solution at the moment as I've got 6 full drives and only space in my case for 2 more.

Unfortunately drivepool isn't nearly as efficient with space compared to RAID6, especially as you add more hard drives. It's just duplicating files so their RAID 6 equivalent reduces your available space by 1/3 rather than just by 2 drives.

The reasons I liked it were you could set duplication on a per folder basis rather than having to use the same duplication across the entire array and that the array doesn't die if too many disks die, you always have the data on the working drives available.

I did read that is extremely annoying to restore from Crashplan after a hard drive dies with Drivepool, Crashplan doesn't have an option to leave existing files in place when restoring from a backup so you either need to download your entire backup and restore your entire pool or manually figure out which files need to be restored.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

DrDork posted:

You do not need to format it. In fact, I just did this thanks to a failed drive: Pulled out the bad drive, took the new one out of the packaging, slotted it in, told FreeNAS to replace the missing drive with the new one, resilver started, a few hours later it's all done.

If the drive already has some data on it (even if it's empty but has defined partitions of any sort) ZFS will warn you that the disk is not empty. In that case you still don't need to format it--you just need to click the checkbox for "force" in the GUI, or add the force flag if you're using the CLI. ZFS will then wipe the drive and format it as it needs.

Yeah I did it too no problem. I don't know why he's had issues in the past.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Very quick question: are iSCSI LUNs inherently less stable than typical shared folders on a NAS? Any other downsides? My current use case is a mac mini syncing my Dropbox account to an iSCSI LUN on a DS1515+, and the LUN is then backed up weekly to a 4TB MyPassport and another 1515+ at my work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Smashing Link posted:

Very quick question: are iSCSI LUNs inherently less stable than typical shared folders on a NAS? Any other downsides? My current use case is a mac mini syncing my Dropbox account to an iSCSI LUN on a DS1515+, and the LUN is then backed up weekly to a 4TB MyPassport and another 1515+ at my work.

iSCSI is going to be more stable, because its usually used for actual boot devices like VMs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

CommieGIR posted:

iSCSI is going to be more stable, because its usually used for actual boot devices like VMs.

The primary advantage of iscsi is mpio and being able to have native partitions on LUNs for weird permissions stuff. It's not more or less stable than NFS, generally.

Different use case is all, and better failover/performance if mpio is used.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Latest experiments with FreeNAS, primarily intended to fiddle with iSCSI, showed me how much of an impact ZFS fragmentation has. Data I've copied from a backup onto this array while fresh (four disk quasi-RAID-10, all WD Reds) reads at like 250MB/s, whereas data I've downloaded onto it via torrent clients gets up to just 80-90MB/s and you can hear the disks rattle way more. (--edit: Array is not even half full, so there'd be plenty of contiguous free space on a traditional filesystem.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 9, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That, combined with my own desires for data segmentation, is why my torrents all go to a separate / single drive during the download. I have Deluge move the file to the ZFS array only after it's complete.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Latest experiments with FreeNAS, primarily intended to fiddle with iSCSI, showed me how much of an impact ZFS fragmentation has.

Would pre-allocation not effectively fix this?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

DrDork posted:

Would pre-allocation not effectively fix this?

No, it actually makes it worse. ZFS makes a copy of a block before changing it. Allocating a bunch of zero blocks just writes a bunch of zero blocks, which will be copied to a non-contiguous area when changed. A traditional file system will modify the block in place.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SamDabbers posted:

No, it actually makes it worse. ZFS makes a copy of a block before changing it. Allocating a bunch of zero blocks just writes a bunch of zero blocks, which will be copied to a non-contiguous area when changed. A traditional file system will modify the block in place.

There is an API (posix_fallocate) which you can call to tell the system "This file will eventually be this large, please preallocate the space right now." This allows preallocation without actually writing zeroed blocks so long as the filesystem driver supports it (if it doesn't, the Linux VFS layer will fall back to writing zeroed blocks). The Linux ext4 and xfs drivers implement this feature, no idea about zfs.

The application needs to support calling posix_fallocate() too, of course.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

From a ZFS standpoint, sparse allocation only really affects metadata. ZFS batches writes to disk into transaction groups, and allocates space for those. Traditional file systems can allocate LBA x to LBA y for a single file and update blocks in-place, but ZFS will always allocate a new range of blocks for each write, and update metadata accordingly. The torrent write pattern is pretty much ZFS's pathological worst-case when it comes to fragmentation.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If Amazon reviews are any indication, the available NAS drives are poo poo. Supposedly the HGST one is loud, hot, and has bad QA issues, and the WD Red lives up to its name by literally catching on fire. I know that Seagate drives are bad and unreliable. What should I be buying?

I'm also considering a Synology DS216j (or the one bay unit.) Any good? Will it power down the drives when not in use? This is going to hold movies so the data is only gonna get accessed on it a few times a week at most.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I have had 8 WD Reds spinning for over a year and they haven't caught fire even once. They are quiet too.

The Seagate IronWolf line looks promising, but only time will tell.

The HGST NAS drives are 7200RPM which is why they are louder and hotter than the 5400RPM Reds.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

If Amazon reviews are any indication, the available NAS drives are poo poo. Supposedly the HGST one is loud, hot, and has bad QA issues, and the WD Red lives up to its name by literally catching on fire. I know that Seagate drives are bad and unreliable. What should I be buying?

They are not a good indication if all you do is sort by Most Negative review and take that as representative.

-The HGST one is gonna be a little on the louder side compared to the others because it's a 7200RPM drive vs 5400/5900. The upside is a bit better performance. If you shove it in a closet who cares if it's a tad louder? These aren't drives intended to sit next to you on your desktop. And at 73% 5-star/6% 1-star, they're virtually identically rated as WD Reds (76% 5-star/6% 1-star), so no idea what your QA comment is about.
-The WD Reds have 3 reviews involving fire out of over 4,000. Randomly checking around with other, non-NAS drives of various sorts, many seem to have the occasional mention of fire. Figure that a drive catching on fire is far more likely to elicit a review than a drive that works perfectly, and <0.1% of reviews noting fire would suggest this isn't much of a problem.
-Seagates have, indeed, had a few hilariously bad models. Other models have had durability on par with or better than competitors. Anecdotal, but no one in this thread has come back complaining about unusually high failure rates for their NAS drives AFAIK. Amazon reviews peg it as a little less reliable than WD Reds, but they also usually sell at a bit of a discount. Whether or not that's worth it to you is your call.

The DS216j will work alright for light file-sharing purposes, but that's about it. It cannot run Plex, specifically, if that's something you were looking at. You should be able to set it to spin the drives down after a given idle period, yes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If I can pick between the drive that has a 3 in 4,000 chance of catching on fire and burning down the house, and the one that doesn't, I think I am going to go with Option 2.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
WD Reds have burned my house down four times but I have Crashplan so NBD

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If I can pick between the drive that has a 3 in 4,000 chance of catching on fire and burning down the house, and the one that doesn't, I think I am going to go with Option 2.

It's not 3/4,000.

Think of it like this: if you bought a hard drive and it caught fire, you would almost certainly write a review about it. On the other hand, how many hard drives have you owned that you've been perfectly content with, but have never left a positive review for?

The actual number of people who bought that drive from Amazon is going to be more than 3, but not by much. Conversely, the number of people who bought that drive from Amazon and didn't experience a fire is going to be much, much, much higher than 3,997.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I even preheat my reds by putting the server in the garage. No fire.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

(1) It's not. It's probably more like 3 in 400,000+ (Amazon sells a lot of drives, and most people who are satisfied with an item never bother to write a review), and that's assuming that those 3 were actually caused by faulty drives, and not some other issue, like a flaky PSU, power surges, or out-of-spec cables.

(2) You probably don't have a choice: Sure, the Red has 3/4000, but the HGST's have <400 reviews, and the Seagates <700 reviews, so even if they have a higher spontaneous combustion rate than the Reds, there's a very good chance that they simply haven't shown up yet. Statistics!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
In my NAS (that's running for 4 years now) I have 2 WD Reds (wdc wd30efrx-68euzn0) and 2 HGST (HGST HUS724030ALA640) and now they're running at 33,37 (WDs) ,42 and 39 (HGSTs) degrees Celsius.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My hard drive is a note 7 :ohdear:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IOwnCalculus posted:

I even preheat my reds by putting the server in the garage. No fire.

Same. The ambient often hits over 100F out there during the summer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Look at you, mister I-don't-live-on-the-surface-of-the-sun.

I had mine crammed in a media center before with such piss-poor airflow that I don't think being on an open shelf in the garage (with much less concern about fan noise) is actually any hotter.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Didn't Google pop out a minor study a while back that more or less found that drive temps didn't have much of an impact on drive life (until they got stupid high, anyhow), but that moisture/humidity was a bigger factor?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To be fair, Google's graph stops around where my summer drive temps start :v:

So I'm thinking I'm going to bail on FreeNAS instead of trying to follow them down this path of docker inside a VM. I need to grow my storage a bit while I'm at it since I just hit 80% full. Going to move to Ubuntu with ZFS.

It looks like cheap PCIe m.2 SSDs are almost as cheap as regular 2.5" SSDs, just have to pay a bit for an adapter. My motherboard (Supermicro X8DT6-F) predates any M.2 slots, so I'm looking at getting a couple of the PCIe->m.2 adapters and running those in a mdraid mirror for my Ubuntu root partition. Is there anything funky I'm going to have to do to boot off of them, or should they "just work" since it's all just PCIe? It'll cut down on the cabling I have to do, which will be nice.

I'm going to have to get a handful of large drives, build a new temporary zpool on them, and then migrate my data temporarily while I rebuild the existing array. Partly to add drives and change the raidz config, partly because by default FreeNAS enables a useless feature flag that Linux ZFS doesn't use. Anyone got a decent guide on the best way to do this? Last time I tried zfs send/recv I managed to cock the whole thing up and had to restore from backups. I do still have backups, but it takes a long goddamn time to pull all of that data back from Crashplan.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm going to have to get a handful of large drives, build a new temporary zpool on them, and then migrate my data temporarily while I rebuild the existing array. Partly to add drives and change the raidz config, partly because by default FreeNAS enables a useless feature flag that Linux ZFS doesn't use. Anyone got a decent guide on the best way to do this? Last time I tried zfs send/recv I managed to cock the whole thing up and had to restore from backups. I do still have backups, but it takes a long goddamn time to pull all of that data back from Crashplan.

Just use rsync?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Just use rsync?

Absent a better choice, yeah, I'll just use rsync.

Also I may be SOL on NVMe boot - looks like that really works best with UEFI, which that old board doesn't have. So I guess I'll just grab a couple cheap 2.5" SSDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

It's not 3/4,000.

Think of it like this: if you bought a hard drive and it caught fire, you would almost certainly write a review about it. On the other hand, how many hard drives have you owned that you've been perfectly content with, but have never left a positive review for?

The actual number of people who bought that drive from Amazon is going to be more than 3, but not by much. Conversely, the number of people who bought that drive from Amazon and didn't experience a fire is going to be much, much, much higher than 3,997.
I've actually tested 4000+ Reds and the only fires I've seen in my lab were caused by bad molex->SATA adapters and happen with any drive.