Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Boba Fett's role in ESB is to serve as an extension of Darth Vader, which is why they look somewhat alike. He's a reflection of the more individualistic, less doctrinaire approach Vader takes throughout the film, as opposed to the uniformity of the (ineffectual, lame) Stormtroopers he commanded in ANH.

The joke in AOTC is that they take the ruggedly individualistic bounty hunter and clone him millions of times over to make an army, and the results are proto-Stormtroopers fighting for the proto-Empire. Boba Fett was just another (ineffectual, lame) Stormtrooper the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"I thought this bad guy was extremely cool until I learned their traumatizing back story" is basically the prequel writ large.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Whoa, getting quoted from page 2!

Jango Fett does get all the cool gadgets and neat gunslinger tricks that fans imagined for Boba. He also dies a chump's death.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

El Burbo posted:

What's that article of the guy who watched the prequels with his kids while also watching the clone wars cartoon. I remember them getting really attached to anakin and being genuinely shocked when he went bad.

Here's the first part of that series

Zoran posted:

Whoa, getting quoted from page 2!

Jango Fett does get all the cool gadgets and neat gunslinger tricks that fans imagined for Boba. He also dies a chump's death.

His whip is pretty cool though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He's the coolest chump in space, like his father before him.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Here's the first part of that series

quote:

Any time I’ve brought the subject up around adult fans of the series, I get stern lectures about how I need to brace myself for the idea that my kids might actually like the Prequels.
lol

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
"Pre-quel hate" is going out of style I think as super fans mellow out as they age, realizing that being up in arms about children liking movies explicitly made for children is a bit weird. Also realizing that they uncritically dedicated a large portion of their identities to children's movies.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Danger posted:

"Pre-quel hate" is going out of style I think as super fans mellow out as they age, realizing that being up in arms about children liking movies explicitly made for children is a bit weird. Also realizing that they uncritically dedicated a large portion of their identities to children's movies.

Also, honestly, it's kind of hard to hate something as inconsequtinal to your lives as a trilogy of kid moves after a literal decade. After a while, you kind of need to move on. More important things going on in the world to get up in arms about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

After a while, you kind of need to move on. More important things going on in the world to get up in arms about.

Forget about actual real life, there's so much great film out there to appreciate. When I first started to discover the world of film outside of my Lucas/Spielberg box, it was such an amazing feeling because it felt infinite. It still kinda does, there's just too many great films for one person to see in a lifetime. The idea of someone limiting themselves to Star Wars, or the MCU, or Harry Potter or any of these huge franchises is very sad.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I actually just finished watching The Clone Wars (the 5 aired seasons, we'll get to the unaired 6th in a bit) with my son, and it was surprisingly good. The animation and artistry by the end was really top notch, and the storylines/character development was superb.

I knew what was coming in the final 4-5 episodes but was still gripped emotionally by the ending and wishing it could have gone another way, plot wise.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danger posted:

This argument of "they're movies for children" about films that feature:

-child murder
-multiple instances of child murder
-frequent decapitations and dismemberment
-long and boring diplomatic diatribes
-someone being burned alive, screaming

Really needs to stop. Specifically the child murder scenes, where in AOTC Anakin slaughters the village of "sand people," tells Padme about it, then in the next film when he slaughters children again and Obi-Wan tells Padme, she says she refuses to believe it. After Anakin literally confessed to the act of murdering children! Are you kidding me?!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
They are unquestionably films made purposely for and appreciated by children. You can still watch and like them just fine, though, so don't worry.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danger posted:

They are unquestionably films made purposely for and appreciated by children. You can still watch and like them just fine, though, so don't worry.

They're terrible films that break every rule of good filmmaking and any sort of logical sense. To write that off as "for children!" when children can appreciate plenty of quality films that a child can enjoy without overly grim nonsense and over the top stupidity.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

They're terrible films that break every rule of good filmmaking and any sort of logical sense. To write that off as "for children!" when children can appreciate plenty of quality films that a child can enjoy without overly grim nonsense and over the top stupidity.

Oh, I think you are misinterpreting. "Children's film" or "for children" isn't an insult or used to write-off anything, and it's again sort of odd to take it that way. The OT and PT films are overall good movies (some better than others) AND designed for children.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

This argument of "they're movies for children" about films that feature:

-child murder
-multiple instances of child murder
-frequent decapitations and dismemberment
-long and boring diplomatic diatribes
-someone being burned alive, screaming

Really needs to stop. Specifically the child murder scenes, where in AOTC Anakin slaughters the village of "sand people," tells Padme about it, then in the next film when he slaughters children again and Obi-Wan tells Padme, she says she refuses to believe it. After Anakin literally confessed to the act of murdering children! Are you kidding me?!

What could the difference between a village of "sand people" and Jedi children be to a person like Padme? We may never know.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Taintrunner posted:

Even the goofy-rear end candy-coloured Star Wars films are too grimdark for this fuckin baby.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Taintrunner posted:

They're terrible films that break every rule of good filmmaking and any sort of logical sense.

I just want to appreciate that sentence.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am showing the prequels to a friend of mine who has never seen em. She watched Rogue One and wanted to see the rest so we did the OT and she liked it. I'll let you guys know what she thinks of the old ones.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Danger posted:

I've heard plenty of (much younger than me) adults say they like Phantom Menace the best because it was the first one they saw in the theater and they were still pretty young.

It's highly likely a lot of fans first saw IV, V, VI before they were really ready to understand the movies. If they did that then had a a couple year gap and then they saw Ep. I in a movie theater right around the time their brain could finally process a feature length film made not entirely for children, then the attachment makes sense.

I can still cling to my argument that the idea that the prequels were critically "better" than the original trilogy or TFM because they "tried something different" are fighting words and demonstrably wrong but arguing about movies created to sell toys isn't something I want my life defined by.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danger posted:

Oh, I think you are misinterpreting. "Children's film" or "for children" isn't an insult or used to write-off anything, and it's again sort of odd to take it that way. The OT and PT films are overall good movies (some better than others) AND designed for children.

The PT is a clusterfuck of trying to be everything for everyone, including a racist caricature of a black man for children to laugh at.

They're bad movies that don't make any sense, especially when you consider every single point of failure in Palpatine's master plan to rise to power, like making sure the Trade Federation blockade only nicks the Queen's ship so they're forced to land on Tattooine, a massive planet, so Qui-Gon encounters the slave boy that Palpatine willed into life with Darth Plagueis the Wise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taintrunner posted:

The PT is a clusterfuck of trying to be everything for everyone, including a racist caricature of a black man for children to laugh at.

Buster Keaton, known black man.

Taintrunner posted:

They're bad movies that don't make any sense, especially when you consider every single point of failure in Palpatine's master plan to rise to power, like making sure the Trade Federation blockade only nicks the Queen's ship so they're forced to land on Tattooine, a massive planet, so Qui-Gon encounters the slave boy that Palpatine willed into life with Darth Plagueis the Wise.

...what?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 1, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taintrunner posted:

Uh excuse me, his buffoonery was simply masking that he is the true evil behind everything. Every step into the poopoo perfectly calculated to mask his dark designs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Any EU bullshit aside, the most reasonable conclusion watching the prequels is that Palpatine is capable of turning any development to his advantage. Regardless of what he'd tell you, he's not omniscient and he's not playing 11 dimensional chess, but he's a canny motherfucker.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I didn't think Mace Windu was that funny.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Taintrunner posted:

That's not Palpatine's plan.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

I'm glad you brought this up in this thread. Much like the Star Wars films themselves, profound repetition is characterized by profound difference.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Taintrunner posted:

That was not Palpatine's plan. That was more a lucky coincidence.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

That's

The Force (tm)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

tadashi posted:

I can still cling to my argument that the idea that the prequels were critically "better" than the original trilogy or TFM because they "tried something different" are fighting words and demonstrably wrong but arguing about movies created to sell toys isn't something I want my life defined by.
What do you feel is wrong, that the PT tried something new, or that TFA didn't? (I'm not sure anyone says that about the OT, nor would it make sense.)

Like, forget "originality", which is an iffy concept to begin with in a series that began by combining The Hidden Fortress with Flash Gordon and finishing off with the climax of The Dambusters. For me the biggest issue with TFA is that it lacks imagination. There's very little in there that makes me say "wow, I've never seen anything like this". There's no moments like these:

Even Rogue One, which spends a good deal of time with designs and locations plucked straight from the OT, captures them in new and interesting ways - I've talked a lot before about how I love the various ways the Death Star is filmed in the movie, and how they manage to make one of the oldest and most referenced designs in the series feel like you're seeing it for the first time.

TFA just...doesn't seem interested in that. It rarely lingers on those moments of novelty it has. Abrams likes the Falcon and X-wings and TIE fighters, and that's fine. I like them too, but even more I like the feeling I had seeing them for the first time on screen. To me, that's one of the things that makes Star Wars what it is, that sense that every scene you might see something you've never seen before. It's something the other seven movies have in spades, and TFA doesn't, nor does seem like it even wants to try.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covok posted:

He's weird guy from Naboo who is a secret Sith Lord that killed his master, Darth Plagueis, after they will a being into life (Anakin) that engineers the trade federation blockade of Naboo, so the royalty escape, are forced to detour to Tattoine, coincidentally run into the boy Palpatine willed into life, and Qui-Gon takes him along to begin training him to become a Jedi, because "midichlorians!" and then Palpatine starts slowly grooming the boy to become his Sith apprentice.

Which reminds me, when Palpatine orders Anakin to brutally decapitate an unarmed man (in a supposed children's film), Anakin faces no consequences from the Jedi council for committing a war crime. Or murdering children in the previous film.

There's a reason that "Prequel Memes" became a thing, it's because they're overproduced schlock. Remember the tank top cleavage Twi-Lek Jedi? The 1950s Americana diner in a galaxy far far away? Jango Fett hiring another assassin to use a droid to use poison slugs to killl the target he was hired to assassinate, which he proceeds to not do after drawing the Jedi away with his first plot? Letting a freaky frog guy with no diplomatic experience be the senator for your planet? "I have the high ground" after it's been established in the first film that you can defeat an opponent when you have the low ground, as shown by Obi-Wan himself? Qui-Gon and Watto's stupid and over complicated betting sequence which ends in Qui-Gon using the force to rig the dice roll anyways, even though he could have used those same Jedi powers to sneak in and steal the part he needed at night anyways? "I hate sand?" Obi-Wan and Yoda not showing the footage of the newly crowned Emperor that happens to be a Sith Lord knighting his apprentice?

The Prequels are an onslaught of bad and poorly executed ideas, that are clearly not for children. There's plenty of great films for children that are competent and don't insult the intelligence of the viewer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

He's weird guy from Naboo who is a secret Sith Lord that killed his master, Darth Plagueis, after they will a being into life (Anakin) that engineers the trade federation blockade of Naboo, so the royalty escape, are forced to detour to Tattoine, coincidentally run into the boy Palpatine willed into life, and Qui-Gon takes him along to begin training him to become a Jedi, because "midichlorians!" and then Palpatine starts slowly grooming the boy to become his Sith apprentice.

Which reminds me, when Palpatine orders Anakin to brutally decapitate an unarmed man (in a supposed children's film), Anakin faces no consequences from the Jedi council for committing a war crime. Or murdering children in the previous film.

There's a reason that "Prequel Memes" became a thing, it's because they're overproduced schlock. Remember the tank top cleavage Twi-Lek Jedi? The 1950s Americana diner in a galaxy far far away? Jango Fett hiring another assassin to use a droid to use poison slugs to killl the target he was hired to assassinate, which he proceeds to not do after drawing the Jedi away with his first plot? Letting a freaky frog guy with no diplomatic experience be the senator for your planet? "I have the high ground" after it's been established in the first film that you can defeat an opponent when you have the low ground, as shown by Obi-Wan himself? Qui-Gon and Watto's stupid and over complicated betting sequence which ends in Qui-Gon using the force to rig the dice roll anyways, even though he could have used those same Jedi powers to sneak in and steal the part he needed at night anyways? "I hate sand?" Obi-Wan and Yoda not showing the footage of the newly crowned Emperor that happens to be a Sith Lord knighting his apprentice?

The Prequels are an onslaught of bad and poorly executed ideas, that are clearly not for children. There's plenty of great films for children that are competent and don't insult the intelligence of the viewer.

Pack it in folks, someone finally explained why the prequels are bad. Someone let the rest of the internet know that SA poster Taintrunner has solved the prequel problem once and for all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Basebf555 posted:

Pack it in folks, someone finally explained why the prequels are bad. Someone let the rest of the internet know that SA poster Taintrunner has solved the prequel problem once and for all.

More effort than you are putting into it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

More effort than you are putting into it.

After years of this crap can you really blame anyone for giving up?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Palpatine's plan in The Phantom Menace was pretty simple. As Sidious, he joins up with the Trade Federation, who think they're not being paid enough for delivering food to Naboo, and goads them into occupying the planet by assuring them that they will not be punished by the Senate. Because he is also Senator Palpatine, he can tell them exactly what to do in order to keep them "bogged down in procedure." This part of the plan is easy because the Senate sucks.

Once the Trade Federation has started rounding people up into concentration camps and forced the Queen to evacuate, that's his signal that the situation has finally gotten bad enough that he can break the story, and ride that sympathy vote right into the Chancellor's office. Remember, being complicit in the occupation means he can pull this trick any time he wants, and having the young, popular, sympathetic Amidala sitting right there in his booth with him is lets him do this to maximum advantage.

He sends Darth Maul because a Jedi being involved might discover the existence of Darth Sidious, and a flashy demon motherfucker is the perfect distraction. Nute Gunray and Darth Maul are made to take the fall for the whole thing. Sending Maul in is win-win - either he kills the Jedi, so there's nobody to ask any awkward questions, or the Jedi kill him, so there's nobody to answer them.

That's it. That's his whole plan.

Anakin's involvement is not part of the plan, and it takes him over ten years of grooming to hatch with a plan that involves him. It's not a coincidence, because to a believer in the Force such as him, there's no such thing as a coincidence, but it's not something he intended to happen.

His second plan was exactly the same plan. Use his alter ego to fight both sides of a war, manipulate the appearance of the war to convince the Senate to give him more power, and use an expendable Sith apprentice as a cut-out to keep the Jedi distracted and compromised. Meanwhile, always be on the lookout for little boys to seduce.

You have correctly identified that the Jedi are hypocrites, meanwhile.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taintrunner posted:

About half of that doesn't happen.

It's never stated that Palpatine was Darth Plagueis apprentice (not that he wasn't, it's definitely possible), just that Palpatine was familiar with Sith mythology.
Palpatine did not plan on Queen Amidala escaping, or detouring to Tattoine. It's never suggested that Palpatine was aware of Anakin to any degree before he's brought to Coruscant.

You've mistaken fan theories (or "Prequel Memes") for the actual events of the film.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 1, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

"Prequel memes" became a thing because nerds are dumb and hyper-conservative about their nerd intellectual properties. Nothing must change their precious, the precious must live forever and generate new content while conforming to their headcanon.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

And, I mean, they are like explicitly made more children. Lucas has been vocal about that since first making Star Wars.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Also the diner sequence is like an explicit quote of American Graffiti. John is killed by a drunk driver, but that's extraneous to the onscreen depiction isn't it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I feel like I just read a Markov chain of prequel complaints. :psyduck: A third of those are just things listed without context that I guess we're supposed to hate, a third are misunderstood plot points, and a third are tactical realism complaints.

Danger posted:

Also the diner sequence is like an explicit quote of American Graffiti.
Look, Star Wars is the most serious business and cannot abide anything like a diner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord Hydronium posted:

a third are tactical realism complaints.

I know it's just visual short-hand but I still think it's really funny that the federation blockade can be defeated by simply flying somewhere else.

• Locked thread