Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i got banned for quoting a post where richard called himself a retard

I miss your av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
SA will live on in thousands of other, also-outdated ways. IRC will forever host channels full of people that just can't let go of an aging standard, probably literally hundreds of other forums that collected goons, roving twitter circle-jerk mobs, loving ham radio of all things (73)

and of course, dozens of discord instances, and slack, probably a dusting of snapchat by now if we have users under 25 anywhere (lol)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

it'll fracture and the individual splinters will eventually burn out independently as they won't be able to sustain themselves with SA's pull so don't worry too much about that

i've accepted the fact that if this place goes my internet usage will go down by like 95%

the only offsites that seem to survive are horrifying pits of bitterness and nastiness. not sure how to prevent that. when sa goes offline there will probably not be a place like the pos again.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blue Train posted:

I miss your av

me too, i'm going to wait a bit to allow whatever spaz in dnd to calm down a bit before re-buying it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i hear drew curtis' fark.com is doing well these days...

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
slashdot still exist? I'd look it up but I might get space herpes or something.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

TerminalRaptor posted:

you've already got it judging by that avatar

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

redleader posted:

these dead gay forums are dying because we're all old now, and no one wants to join a weird forum filled with olds and their in-jokes from 5+ years ago

that being said i hope these forums continue to limp on indefinitely, since i like them and have nothing better to occupy my time with

the arstechnica forums are still going along and they're like 10+ years ahead of SA on the old nerd curve

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TerminalRaptor posted:

it's still there. occasionally interesting links but can't recommend reading the comments.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

it's still there. occasionally interesting links but can't recommend reading the comments.

yeah? why? you're allowed to elaborate here

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

DuckConference posted:

the arstechnica forums are still going along and they're like 10+ years ahead of SA on the old nerd curve

do they still get new users, or are they in the same boat as us? i didn't even know ars had a forum

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ars technica and hack-a-day have some of the worst commenters in existence

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
don't worry ill make a new forum in elixir when the end is here (yospos only though)

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Sagebrush posted:

ars technica and hack-a-day have some of the worst commenters in existence

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

don't worry ill make a new forum in elixir when the end is here (yospos only though)

:yossame:, but node and emberjs

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

cis autodrag posted:

most folks i talk to like the forums in spite of lowtax rather than because of him. the most visible forum has a toxic culture that drives away new registrations and lowtax comes back in a tone deaf rage to remind us that "gay" and "tranny" are funny words and the sjw mods were ruining his site. it's not 1997 anymore but his sense of humor never moved past there and he'd be better of leaving the site to zdr and a few others to run.

this, but also maybe start cracking down on the people who immediately poo poo on every single thread because everything has to be a pissing competition over who can care the least and how loudly they can tell everyone about it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sweevo posted:

this, but also maybe start cracking down on the people who immediately poo poo on every single thread because everything has to be a pissing competition over who can care the least and how loudly they can tell everyone about it

it took me a long time to deprogram myself from the goon "hate everything reflexively" and my life is a lot better since i did. it's ironic detachment that lost its irony.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

mods pls gas and ban

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

sometimes I wonder what I'll do to read about nerd poo poo when the forums go down

like, i like micro controllers. i can talk with people wayyyyyy smarter than me here. yet, i can ask a dumb question, and get a human response.

I mean, even the loving arduino forums have tons of threads where some newbie wanders in and is like "how do i do [x]" (when they really should be doing [y], but they're too new to know it yet).

and the first reply they get is some terse "do [z]"
or a series of obtuse responses or humorless nerds. Its different for some reason here, and IDK, i think its because this is a """"comedy"""" forum [and this the stupid computer subforum[ and not a forum specifically about one topic and issues around it. it makes things a lot more interesting and conversational.

the worst part is when this all goes kaput, i've never been really super-involved in the inner stuff, i just lurk mostly and so i'm never gonna know where y'all went.

I know you aren't gonna wanna hear this, but the new place for that is reddit

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

I know you aren't gonna wanna hear this, but the new place for that is reddit

Yup, this is your best answer for niche interests other than here. If it makes you feel better, the smaller communities are usually nowhere near as bad as the rest of the site (but sometimes are much worse)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yeah? why? you're allowed to elaborate here

They're just not very good. Lot of reflexive hate against each article, the mod that posted the article, Microsoft, Apple, Linux, etc., together with the sort of deep political opinions you get from white programmers.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
looking forward to the yospos memorial webring

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

George posted:

looking forward to the yospos memorial webring

that's twitter now

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
in a theoretical world where gbs finally got deleted forever, what would the top forum be

byob?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
pyf

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

in a theoretical world where gbs finally got deleted forever, what would the top forum be

byob?

yes its incredibly active and relevant

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably games

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

byob?

It got deleted and the top forum was byob iirc yes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zamujasa posted:

byob?

axe gbs and rotate the top forum once a month.

also looking at the forums list for the first time in ages, i wouldn't be surprised if poo poo like FYAD's current subtitle drives away younger people who might otherwise register.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shaggar posted:

probably games

yeah this. or pyf

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

also looking at the forums list for the first time in ages, i wouldn't be surprised if poo poo like FYAD's current subtitle drives away younger people who might otherwise register.

or anyone who wants to browse at work

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol at replacing GBS with pyf like that's an improvement, just fuckin lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Lol at replacing GBS with pyf like that's an improvement, just fuckin lol

theres no improving gbs

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

only registered users can see fyad tho

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
:pervert:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OldAlias posted:

only registered users can see fyad tho

that alone should discourage registration...

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

this is the worst thing to happen to the forums in quite some time

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

cis autodrag posted:

Nah keep gbs but rotate in mods so that the ones with the highest ban counts are moderating it

It'd be like a shooting gallery but for terrible posters like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

smb3 grass land music

• Locked thread