Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

fishmech posted:

If you don't think there's plenty of people who actively support deregulation, reducing labor rights etc because they think they're not necessary, well. I congratulate you on your optimistic view of people, but warn you you're missing that a lot of people think those are pointless restrictions which they don't need because they did everything on their own because they're not lazy.

They are wrong of course, but they still believe it.

You are saying that in response to a post where I literally say the exact words of

quote:

I'm not going to disagree that, yes, there are a lot of people who support economic liberalism as an ideology. It would be naïve to do otherwise.
so I'm unsure as to what point you're trying to make now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

Speaking as a black dude, no they wouldn't.

You didn't post a Stalin :ohdear:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't wait to choose between a neolib shithead and a fascist.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://twitter.com/MkBlyth/status/840278908389978112

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

that survey is wack and massively outdated. Macron and Le Pen more popular than mélenchon with younger voters?

Actual election results for the 18-24 age group:

Mélenchon 31%

Le Pen 20%

Macron 18%

Hamon 10%

Fillon 9%

Seems like younger voters aren't adverse to leftists with proper left wing economic program

(for reminders the elections results were Macron 24, Le Pen 21, Mélenchon and Fillon both at 19)

Really the only electorate that Le Pen does really lovely at is very old people, who probably remember how great the good old france was (or probably because they've vote for the right wingers all their life and dont want to change)
She's around 20% for most other group, except for the 30-60 age groups where she does around 30

so yeah the idea that younger french people are somehow all future fascists is kinda bs

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 30, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I heard on the radio just now that Orban caved to the heat MEPs were throwing his way, and is going to undo his bad education law.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39757962

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

I heard on the radio just now that Orban caved to the heat MEPs were throwing his way, and is going to undo his bad education law.

What the hell, what could they have possibly have threatened him with to make him back down this easily.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MiddleOne posted:

What the hell, what could they have possibly have threatened him with to make him back down this easily.

Hungary's receiving about 5.5% of its GDP in money from the EU, while only spending about 1% of its GDP on payments to the EU, at least as of 2013 or so.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

so yeah the idea that younger french people are somehow all future fascists is kinda bs

Not to retread well-trod territory, but the socio-economic factor seems a lot more relevant to who's voted for whom than age (although there is of course an overlap between the two).

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Apparently Orban isn't backing down after all?
Only a German-language source, sorry
The article quotes Orban as saying that there was no agreement with the EPP and that Hungary will enter negotiations with the Commision over the education law.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The Swiss intelligence service is diligently keeping its country safe from threats to the national interest by, uh, getting busted for spying on the German tax authorities and trying to hamper their investigations into German citizens who use Swiss banks to evade the righteous taxes of der vaterland: https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article164132038/Schweizer-Spion-soll-deutsche-Steuerfahnder-bespitzelt-haben.html

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

The Swiss intelligence service is diligently keeping its country safe from threats to the national interest by, uh, getting busted for spying on the German tax authorities and trying to hamper their investigations into German citizens who use Swiss banks to evade the righteous taxes of der vaterland: https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article164132038/Schweizer-Spion-soll-deutsche-Steuerfahnder-bespitzelt-haben.html

That's actually........ not surprising(if infuriating) if you think about it. A Dutch security expert also warned last week that GCHQ was exceptionally likely to spy on the Brexit negotiations and that they probably couldn't be stopped. Intelligence services act in their countries' economic interests and facilitating tax evasion is clearly of major economic interest to Switzerland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pluskut Tukker posted:

That's actually........ not surprising(if infuriating) if you think about it. A Dutch security expert also warned last week that GCHQ was exceptionally likely to spy on the Brexit negotiations and that they probably couldn't be stopped. Intelligence services act in their countries' economic interests and facilitating tax evasion is clearly of major economic interest to Switzerland.
Just prevent anyone speaking German, French, Italian or English from being anywhere near the negotiations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Whoever gave me this didn't know how to make red text. Now it just looks like a cool tankie avatar.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So one week away. How is the election looking? Still a big La Pen loss?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deltasquid posted:

I can't believe you're claiming the ideology which beheaded kings and aristocracy in the name of making mad dosh wants to return to feudalism. The veer to the hard right is a side-effect of their policy, not their goal.

The Jacobins would not support 21st century neoliberal EU centrist policies.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So one week away. How is the election looking? Still a big La Pen loss?
Despite her really great week (great dynamism, better charisma than the weakling centrist, alliance with a rightwing nitwit), Le pen is still under 40% in polls (but hey polls, right?). Unless something really stupid happen (and it could happen, never believe otherwise), it looks like it's going to be a 37.5%-45% Lepen defeat/62.5%-55% Macron victory. Note that anything around 45% would be a great result for her image and give her greater chance to win in 2022. Something like 35% would be kind of a personal defeat and if her party do badly (or at least not that good) in the parliamentary election (like in 2002) it would be really bad for the cohesion of a party full of over-ambitious racists. I must repeat myself but for the 200th times, it's the parliamentary elections that matters.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 30, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Le Pen desperatly begging for a new terrorist attack in Paris to get those numbers above 30%

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

Despite her really great week (great dynamism, better charisma than the weakling centrist, alliance with a rightwing nitwit), Le pen is still under 40% in polls (but hey polls, right?). Unless something really stupid happen (and it could happen, never believe otherwise), it looks like it's going to be a 37.5%-45% Lepen defeat/62.5%-55% Macron victory. Note that anything around 45% would be a great result for her image and give her greater chance to win in 2022. Something like 35% would be kind of a personal defeat and if her party do badly (or at least not that good) in the parliamentary election (like in 2002) it would be really bad for the cohesion of a party full of over-ambitious racists. I must repeat myself but for the 200th times, it's the parliamentary elections that matters.

So what outcome do you think the parliamentaries have, given a 60-40 win for Macron? Cooperative and willing to ram through all kinds of ghoulish neoliberal stuff, or hostile and obstructionist?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
There haven't been any polls for the legislatives in like 6 months, but at the time the impression was that Republicans and Independent Right would be getting a majority. If that's true they can absolutely cut a grand bargain.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Whoever gave me this didn't know how to make red text. Now it just looks like a cool tankie avatar.

Lmao, is that a pickelhaube?

e: ok, it's the death of Peter Fechte, who tried to flee the GDR and was shot by border guards and i'm history illiterate

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 30, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

So what outcome do you think the parliamentaries have, given a 60-40 win for Macron? Cooperative and willing to ram through all kinds of ghoulish neoliberal stuff, or hostile and obstructionist?
I have no loving idea, it's going to be pandemonium with a chance of sarkozy or valls prime minister? We still don't know who the hell will be in Macron parliamentary party(mostly because it would be political suicide for the candidates to announce that before Macron wins), the paranoid part of my brain is in overdrive over that poo poo. There is a chance that Macron will be president but with a parliament so divided no stable government could emerge for long.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 1, 2017

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/858943667347869696

Der zug hat doch bremsen

(or something like that, my german's really loving horrible)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
wow i was looking at the results by department and i'm really sad but not surprised that Corsica votes so far to the right

Marine Le Pen 28,62
François Fillon 25,68
Emmanuel Macron 17,87
Jean-Luc Mélenchon 13,84
Jean Lassalle 5,42
Benoît Hamon 3,49
Nicolas Dupont-Aignan 3,04

Lassalle did better than Hamon tho lol

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-39765575/macron-eu-must-reform-or-face-frexit

quote:

"I'm a pro-European, I defended constantly during this election the European idea and European policies because I believe it's extremely important for French people and for the place of our country in globalisation," Mr Macron, leader of the recently created En Marche! movement, told the BBC.

"But at the same time we have to face the situation, to listen to our people, and to listen to the fact that they are extremely angry today, impatient and the dysfunction of the EU is no more sustainable.

"So I do consider that my mandate, the day after, will be at the same time to reform in depth the European Union and our European project."

Mr Macron added that if he were to allow the EU to continue to function as it was would be a "betrayal".

"And I don't want to do so," he said. "Because the day after, we will have a Frexit or we will have [Ms Le Pen's] National Front (FN) again."

The 39-year-old is leading in the polls by 20 percentage points, and will try to win over more voters when he speaks in north-east Paris later.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

- François Hollande, 2012

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Lassalle did better than Hamon tho lol
The famed Corsican shepherd voting block.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toplowtech posted:

The famed Corsican shepherd voting block.

oh poo poo that's probably the reason

my uncle is a shepherd there and he kinda gives off lassalle vibes

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
As a Moroccan black dude I can only wish for Le Pen to win.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Ligur posted:

As a Moroccan black dude I can only wish for Le Pen to win.

We said we'd only roleplay in bed, Ligur dear.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Ligur is Joao Bruno Putulukeso.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Sums it all up quite well

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Soon.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Soon what? That graph shows Macron will absolutely crush Le Pen may 7th

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheRat posted:

Soon what? That graph shows Macron will absolutely crush Le Pen may 7th

If the campaign were to last a few more months, Le Pen would overtake Macron eventually if the trend continued. Thankfully, the election will be over in a week.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Looks like it's trending to stay under 40 to me. Don't see what you're looking at.

jinx

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Torrannor posted:

If the campaign were to last a few more months, Le Pen would overtake Macron eventually if the trend continued. Thankfully, the election will be over in a week.

Post your map

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lost in postation posted:

Not to retread well-trod territory, but the socio-economic factor seems a lot more relevant to who's voted for whom than age (although there is of course an overlap between the two).

http://m.leparisien.fr/elections/pr...017-6902829.php

quote:

De son côté, Marine Le Pen, avec 21,3 % des voix dimanche dernier, est championne dans les communes situées au-delà de 15 km des centres d'emploi

MLP killing in towns farther than 15km from major employment areas

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 1, 2017

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Sums it all up quite well

What's that first word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Nilbop posted:

What's that first word?

"plutôt" - the sentence means "Rather Rick & Morty than Emmanuel & Marine".