Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Wait, so you're saying that some people honestly enjoy the prequels and aren't just bullshitting to piss people off on the internet?

There are some pretty dumb people in this world, yeah

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes, Grievous and Darth Vader are two different characters. You haven't explained why Greivous is bad.

He has a dumb name

he is a gimmick

he has no emotional weight

he does not make me feel any emotion at all

i never feel that obi wan is ever in danger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Taintrunner posted:

He can slaughter Jedi and keeps their lightsabers as trophies? So shouldn't a Jedi like Kenobi react or act in a way that isn't clearly exposing himself and shouting "Hello there!"

The confrontation between these characters doesn't show what the film is telling us to believe about these characters. In fact, that's the greatest crime - it largely tells without showing, i.e. Anakin being Obi-Wan's "good friend." They largely can't stand each other on-screen.

They've fought like 5 times before and Obi Wan has trouned him every time. Grevious was only good at killing Jedi Knights, but Masters generally kicked his rear end, according to Clone Wars 3D.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covok posted:

They've fought like 5 times before and Obi Wan has trouned him every time. Grevious was only good at killing Jedi Knights, but Masters generally kicked his rear end, according to Clone Wars 3D.

I'm sorry I didn't watch the children's cartoons before the movie as you shouldn't have to watch cartoons before a movie to understand what is taking place.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

He can slaughter Jedi and keeps their lightsabers as trophies? So shouldn't a Jedi like Kenobi react or act in a way that isn't clearly exposing himself and shouting "Hello there!"

The confrontation between these characters doesn't show what the film is telling us to believe about these characters. In fact, that's the greatest crime - it largely tells without showing, i.e. Anakin being Obi-Wan's "good friend." They largely can't stand each other on-screen.

Obiwan "Drink and Fight" Kenobi is encountering Greivous for the second time in the photographed scene and is in the middle of composing himself for a battle to the death.

Would you prefer Obiwan lose his cool to an obvious taunt hes extremely aware is true so that you could then say hes nothing like his OT portrayl where nothing, not even his impending death, phases him?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

I'm sorry I didn't watch the children's cartoons before the movie as you shouldn't have to watch cartoons before a movie to understand what is taking place.

What about how Grievous walks hunched over as if he's 80 years old and has the chronic hacking cough of a COPD sufferer? Or how he tries to hide behind other droids on the ship at the beginning of the movie, and runs away as soon as the tide starts to turn? All of these things are in the movie, not any cartoon.

Grievous is a tool, and the movie shows you this over and over but your need for another Darth Vader makes you blind to it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

You don't; you just have to pay attention to the movie at a slightly deeper than surface plot/dialogue level and jettison some preconceived notions you have about what's "supposed" to happen in a Star Wars movie.

The cartoon helps make things more explicit, but it's not like explaining things that the movies didn't already say.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/can-you-redeem-count-dooku-eyes-your-father-law-5958

Not sure everyone here could pass this test...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Taintrunner posted:

It's almost as if there was a scene where Obi Wan and Grevious meet up on the ship in the beginning of the film and Grevious implies they have met and fought before.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Obiwan "Drink and Fight" Kenobi is encountering Greivous for the second time in the photographed scene and is in the middle of composing himself for a battle to the death.

Would you prefer Obiwan lose his cool to an obvious taunt hes extremely aware is true so that you could then say hes nothing like his OT portrayl where nothing, not even his impending death, phases him?

He actually smiles like a twit before actively engaging Grievous. Then Grievous twirls lightsabers like an idiot at Obi-Wan before the two of them do a bunch of lame flippy poo poo with no weight.

Basebf555 posted:

What about how Grievous walks hunched over as if he's 80 years old and has the chronic hacking cough of a COPD sufferer? Or how he tries to hide behind other droids on the ship at the beginning of the movie, and runs away as soon as the tide starts to turn? All of these things are in the movie, not any cartoon.

Grievous is a tool, and the movie shows you this over and over but your need for another Darth Vader makes you blind to it.

It's silly and deployed for comedic effect.

Grievous is like stated above, a gimmick with no weight who does even dumber flippy poo poo than the previous flippy poo poo we've seen in the PT. Not even a minute into this fight, and Kenobi is hacking off two of the dude's arms. If the guy can kill Jedi and keeps trophies, then use the tools that making a movie gives you to communicate the ideal that he's somewhat intimidating to our hero, Kenobi. He doesn't have to be "another Vader," and this weird character accusation that I "need" anything from the Prequels beyond "competent filmmaking and a sensical plot," which is what I take issue with, isn't of value.

In fact, Grievous is shown to be more effective without lightsabers at all and just punching the poo poo out of Kenobi. And then Kenobi shoots him with a blaster until he spontaneously combusts and dies horribly. In a film for children.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 1, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm now taking bets on how many more pages it'll be before we get to "droids aren't people."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
What about how Grievous looks like a spindly skeleton indistinguishable from the 'expendable' pions behind him?

We know the answer, though: "There are heroes on both sides." Grievous, as a figure, embodies all of the pretense of a galactic villain, but is actually just as expendable as the other droids/clones. These characters are "heroes" in the classical sense of being distinguished by their legend, by a pedigree of great, but ultimately superficial and reactionary feats of power which are not indicative of any ethical accomplishment.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm now taking bets on how many more pages it'll be before we get to "droids aren't people."

It already happened like two pages back, so I'll put my bet on one page.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

He actually smiles like a twit before actively engaging Grievous. Then Grievous twirls lightsabers like an idiot at Obi-Wan before the two of them do a bunch of lame flippy poo poo with no weight.

Ah yes, so opposed to his behavoir in three other films where he hesitates to use violence and shies away from armed combat.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Taintrunner posted:

Which parts of the Obi-Wan/Grievous encounter did you not understand? Maybe we can help clarify.

Also the idea that Grievous is some super Jedi killer is entirely outside the movie as well. In ROTS, the two lightsabers we see him get are from captives, and not even captured by him. You might be projecting your own expectations of an intimidating Jedi killer onto the character in the movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Taintrunner posted:

It's almost as if the cameraman pointed the camera at Ewan McGregor for a reason, and he smiled like that for a reason, and this shot made it into the final film for a reason. In fact, it's almost as if the filmmakers are deliberately signaling that Kenobi (that's the guy played by Ewan McGregor) is not afraid of Grievous (that's the guy played by two Harryhausen Skeletons jammed together) at all and is looking forward to this conflict.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

One page.

Droids aren't people.

Okay, now pay up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Obi-Wan isn't afraid of Greivous because Obi-Wan is living a life of swashbuckling adventure and doesn't give a gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phi230 posted:

He has a dumb name

he is a gimmick

he has no emotional weight

he does not make me feel any emotion at all

i never feel that obi wan is ever in danger

Yes, just like villain Darth Father and the robed warrior Swordsash Sword

He is a sniveling coward with delusions of grandiosity

Derision? Cruel schadenfruede that he tries to duel a jedi honorably and then gets shot in the chest?

Obiwan is, on screen, the only person to kill a Sith other than Anakin who kills two. He is considered a top soldier. That said, he is in the fight put on the back lega and forced to abandon the weapon which he constantly harps on Anakin about losing to save himself.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

"So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Xibanya posted:

apropos of nothing a friend of mine who is a huge fan of Knights of the Old Republic really wants me to play it. I own it but it's so old and it's in that awful transitional stage of being an early 3D game so it's barely playable. I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins which supposedly employs similar mechanics but trying to play through this game seems like a chore. I've sunk maybe an hour and a half into it, worth pressing on or no?

I'd find a good let's play if I were you, honestly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Grevious was an amazing lightsaber duelist, actually. Did another else see the Gendy Tarkowski cartoon? He killed like everyone and it was really flashy and he was my best friend.

I am half-tempted to post that picture of Waifu- Grevious from that old Let's Play.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

If the guy can kill Jedi and keeps trophies, then use the tools that making a movie gives you to communicate the ideal that he's somewhat intimidating to our hero, Kenobi. He doesn't have to be "another Vader," and this weird character accusation that I "need" anything from the Prequels beyond "competent filmmaking and a sensical plot," which is what I take issue with, isn't of value.

He's not intimidating to Kenobi. You're mistaking your preconceived notions of what ought to be in the movie, for competent filmmaking, and when you don't get the former you believe you didn't get the latter. But they're not the same thing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Obiwan is, on screen, the only person to kill a Sith other than Anakin who kills two. He is considered a top soldier. That said, he is in the fight put on the back lega and forced to abandon the weapon which he constantly harps on Anakin about losing to save himself.

Oh right, that scene. "This weapon is your life" juxtaposed against "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.” is the funniest contradiction the Prequels and the OT have, second only to every Jedi wearing the same robes Old Ben is wearing in exile on Tattooine, yet nobody goes "Hey! A Jedi!" at any point in Mos Eisley, not even the Stormtroopers (who are all clones that would have "Jedi wear Jedi Robes" programmed into their brains).

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

He's not intimidating to Kenobi. You're mistaking your preconceived notions of what ought to be in the movie, for competent filmmaking, and when you don't get the former you believe you didn't get the latter. But they're not the same thing.

Except he kills Jedi and keeps their lightsabers as trophies. So he can slay these galactic warriors and makes a point of it yet Kenobi doesn't care. In fact, he regularly snarks throughout the entire second and third films. Then you're stating that Kenobi is a bad character because he's never acting like he's in any sort of real danger throughout the movies, in a galactic war with massive armies with starships and laser guns and laser swords.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 1, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Oh right, that scene. "This weapon is your life" juxtaposed against "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.” is the funniest contradiction the Prequels and the OT have, second only to every Jedi wearing the same robes Old Ben is wearing in exile on Tattooine, yet nobody goes "Hey! A Jedi!" at any point in Mos Eisley, not even the Stormtroopers (who are all clones that would have "Jedi wear Jedi Robes" programmed into their brains).

Actually by the time of the OT most of the clones are all dead due to advanced aging. The stormtroopers are regular recruits

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

One character says one thing, then a different character says a different thing, but clearly this is meaningless.

Jedi wear robes. Lots of people wear robes. Farmers wear robes. (Jedi used to wear robes made of nicer material than farmers, but when they've been a desert hermit for 17 years I guess they settle for the scratchy stuff.)

El Burbo posted:

Actually by the time of the OT most of the clones are all dead due to advanced aging. The stormtroopers are regular recruits

They make this explicit in The Force Awakens, of course, but even in the Special Editions, they don't have Temuera Morrison dub over all the stormtrooper lines even though they had him redo Boba Fett's.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Aren't Ben and Beru wearing basically the same kind of clothing as Obi-Wan at the end of ROTS?

And the fact that the Jedi have contradicting views and actions is basically like their whole thing.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Taintrunner posted:

"This weapon is your life" juxtaposed against "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.” is the funniest contradiction the Prequels and the OT have
Even putting aside what everyone else is saying about different characters having different perspectives, how are those two statements even contradictory?

Taintrunner posted:

Except he kills Jedi and keeps their lightsabers as trophies.
You apparently don't like bringing in outside works, so when does this happen in the movie?

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 1, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bongo Bill posted:

One character says one thing, then a different character says a different thing, but clearly this is meaningless.

Jedi wear robes. Lots of people wear robes. Farmers wear robes. (Jedi used to wear robes made of nicer material than farmers, but when they've been a desert hermit for 17 years I guess they settle for the scratchy stuff.)

They make this explicit in The Force Awakens, of course, but even in the Special Editions, they don't have Temuera Morrison dub over all the stormtrooper lines even though they had him redo Boba Fett's.

Jedi wear Jedi Robes that are clearly different from everyone else's robes. You can even buy them online! https://www.jedi-robe.com/

Lord Hydronium posted:

Even putting aside what everyone else is saying about different characters having different perspectives, how is that even contradictory?

Yoda is explaining about how being a Jedi is more than brute force and winning wars, that simply having a lightsaber doesn't make Luke a Jedi. It's about reaching a state of balance with the universe around them and the energy that flows through every living being. "This weapon is your life" is contradictory because Jedi are supposed to be so much more than a blunt object to hit galactic troublemakers with, as we're taught in the Original Trilogy. Luke doesn't simply kill Vader and the Emperor, he actually goes out of his way to throw down his sword to redeem his father.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 1, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Serf posted:

Aren't Ben and Beru wearing basically the same kind of clothing as Obi-Wan at the end of ROTS?

And the fact that the Jedi have contradicting views and actions is basically like their whole thing.

Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, and A New Hope. The Jedi robes even stand out little enough that people in The Phantom Menace take a while to realize Qui-Gon is a Jedi.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

Except he kills Jedi and keeps their lightsabers as trophies. So he can slay these galactic warriors and makes a point of it yet Kenobi doesn't care. In fact, he regularly snarks throughout the entire second and third films. Then you're stating that Kenobi is a bad character because he's never acting like he's in any sort of real danger throughout the movies, in a galactic war with massive armies with starships and laser guns and laser swords.

He's not in danger, though, at least physically. Or at least he never thinks he is. He's one of the top Jedi masters and his entire character is confidence bordering on cockiness. "Sith lords are our speciality," he says to a Sith lord.

Edit: I seriously think that's one of the best lines in the prequels.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Jedi wear Jedi Robes that are clearly different from everyone else's robes. You can even buy them online! https://www.jedi-robe.com/

Yeah, the difference is that the Jedi wear silk robes while farmers and hermits wear burlap robes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

Yoda is explaining about how being a Jedi is more than brute force and winning wars, that simply having a lightsaber doesn't make Luke a Jedi. It's about reaching a state of balance with the universe around them and the energy that flows through every living being. "This weapon is your life" is contradictory because Jedi are supposed to be so much more than a blunt object to hit galactic troublemakers with, as we're taught in the Original Trilogy. Luke doesn't simply kill Vader and the Emperor, he actually goes out of his way to throw down his sword to redeem his father.

So wouldn't that lead you to believe that Yoda and Obi-Wan have drastically different philosophies?

Also this "....as we're taught in the Original Trilogy" thing is hilarious, you know that Star Wars isn't a religious text right?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Taintrunner posted:

Letting a freaky frog guy with no diplomatic experience be the senator for your planet?

Do you know who the President of the United States is?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Do you know who the President of the United States is?

Hey now.

Jar Jar Binks is a hero.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

So wouldn't that lead you to believe that Yoda and Obi-Wan have drastically different philosophies?

Also this "....as we're taught in the Original Trilogy" thing is hilarious, you know that Star Wars isn't a religious text right?

Tell that to the practioners of Jedism...which is a real thing. There is an actual religion people actually follow based on Star Wars.

I'm just glad Gokuism and the Batman religion were a joke and remained one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Hey now.

Jar Jar Binks is a hero.

Also, he is a war hero and the Naboo were trying to ease tensions due to Gungans not getting representation so a split "Gungan/human" senator team made sense.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

He's not in danger, though, at least physically. Or at least he never thinks he is. He's one of the top Jedi masters and his entire character is confidence bordering on cockiness. "Sith lords are our speicality," he says to a Sith lord.

Edit: I seriously think that's one of the best lines in the prequels.

Then it's a lame setup for a sword fight. "Confident super Jedi quickly dispatches of a lame spinning robot gimmick" is not a quality sequence that adds anything to the film.

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, the difference is that the Jedi wear silk robes while farmers and hermits wear burlap robes.

The Jedi robes are clearly the same visual style to what Ben is wearing. Anakin starts wearing dark robes in 3 because teen angst. None of the Stormtroopers recognize what are clearly Jedi robes. Even if the old clones died, the new ones would have "Hey! This guy's wearing Jedi robes!" programmed in their head.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm simply explaining the facts we have to go off of in the films that are released before the PT.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 1, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, and A New Hope. The Jedi robes even stand out little enough that people in The Phantom Menace take a while to realize Qui-Gon is a Jedi.

To be fair, given the array of worlds and cultural clothing styles unless youre particularly familiar with the Jedi order you probably just think their some foreigners, especially given that your statstical likelihood of seeing one even on coruscant is staggeringly low unless something has gone terribly wrong.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

The Jedi robes are clearly the same visual style to what Ben is wearing. Anakin starts wearing dark robes in 3 because teen angst. None of the Stormtroopers recognize what are clearly Jedi robes. Even if the old clones died, the new ones would have "Hey! This guy's wearing Jedi robes!" programmed in their head.

Stormtroopers aren't clones and the Jedi have been all but dead for 18 years by the time of A New Hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

So you're saying that Jedi can be identified by how they wear dark brown? This despite the fact that we often see Jedi wearing dark brown robes successfully going incognito?

• Locked thread