Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it's important to remember that The last of Us had a perfectly reliable perspective and narration, so jumping ship from that and telling the story through hallucinations would be a prrrrrretty huge departure...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think that implies that is how the story would be told. We don't even know if that scene is actually in the game or it could be an isolated thing. I doubt you'd be running around with ghost Joel.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Well, making a direct sequel to tLoU is a bad decision to begin with, so why not shove ghost dad in there too?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ellie and angry vengeful ghost Joel now share the same body. TLOU2: Shadow of Pittsburgh

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Joel is Ellies persona.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it's important to remember that The last of Us had a perfectly reliable perspective and narration, so jumping ship from that and telling the story through hallucinations would be a prrrrrretty huge departure...

I don't think it's supposed to be an instance of "something that actually happens" in the story, but more of like "TLOU is back and here is the tone and themes we're going for." Like nowhere in the story of Horizon Zero Dawn did Aloy ever come across some cave paintings describing the ascent of humanity or take down a Thunderjaw chasing a heard of Grazers, but as an introduction to what the game was about, it did its job.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Attitude Indicator posted:

Joel is Ellies persona.

They're called Stands

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

They're called Stands

Has there been a country music character?

I submit Kenny Rogers for Joel

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is TLOU multiplayer a PC only thing? I don't see an option for it on PS 4.

I just finished Left Behind on lunch, and it was fantastic. I'm so bad at video games that I lost the imaginary fighting game :shepicide: That whole scene was superb

I'm a little annoyed at just how many men are sent to kill Joel and I. Through out the entire back 2/3's of the game I'm harried by thugs that are presumably sent from the personal militia of Dave the Governor from The Walking Dead. The manpower he sent after us was amazing, and the justification for it was petty and wasteful: revenge. We have nothing but the clothes on our backs and a smattering of ammo, but Ellie and I smoked probably 100 men in self defense.

TLOU is a Real Good Game (RGG) ™

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a confirmed thing that Joel did hosed-up poo poo like everyone else when he was a bandit. He admits it as much himself on multiple occasions, not to mention his brother being pretty traumatized by the poo poo he made them do to survive. Or even just the guy standing in the road setting up the ambush; "I've been on both sides of this before."

That's what Joel was talking about while reminding his brother that 'you owe me your life' bit when they met back up. That's inexcusable, but I guess he's atoned for it in a small degree by culling the amount of murderers and, well, Ellie.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
TLOU is a Sony first party title and Factions is the name of the multiplayer

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
All this TLOU chat is really making me want to replay it. How satisfying/rewarding is the game at the harder difficulties?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
You get more 'cheevos man. What more do you want?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Montalvo posted:

All this TLOU chat is really making me want to replay it. How satisfying/rewarding is the game at the harder difficulties?

I personally think the game is best played on the harder difficulties, as high as you're willing to ramp it up; more important than making enemies do more damage, it drastically lowers the amount of supplies you find laying around, so you REALLY feel like you're scrounging for every last advantage. Combat is heart-pounding when there are six people hunting for you, you have a total of 4 bullets between all of your weapons, and you have to debate between using the last of your supplies toward making one molotov and trying to take them out, making a medkit since you're already at 25% health, or trying to rely on your wits and pray you might find a 2 x 4 or a bottle out there that could really turn things in your favor.

Normally I'm one of those types who plays on Normal so I don't have to bother with hitting the same enemies four times as much to destroy them, but TLOU plays like a much gritter survival sim at higher difficulties, and I LOVE it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Is TLOU multiplayer a PC only thing? I don't see an option for it on PS 4.

Thread title please

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Nioh has been the perfect palette cleanser for my disappointment with Nier and TLG.

It's just so loving good. It plays like a faster Dark Souls (but not like quite Bloodbourne) but it has some excellent QoL improvements and i never thought that closed off 'levels' that you could clear would work in this type of game but they most certainly loving do.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

spudsbuckley posted:

Nioh has been the perfect palette cleanser for my disappointment with Nier and TLG.

It's just so loving good. It plays like a faster Dark Souls (but not like quite Bloodbourne) but it has some excellent QoL improvements and i never thought that closed off 'levels' that you could clear would work in this type of game but they most certainly loving do.

Glad that you enjoy it, I hope you don't get disappointed by the 50% mark when you notice something about the enemies.

Cause I hated the game from that point onward.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Montalvo posted:

It's my single favorite hard mode. You don't really need to play grounded unless you really want a challenge, but playing on survivalist elevates the gameplay so much.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One thing I liked about higher difficulties of TLoU is that crafting and upgrading actually involved choosing what you wanted to upgrade. On the normal difficulty, the game throws so much stuff at you that you can easily upgrade everything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Glad that you enjoy it, I hope you don't get disappointed by the 50% mark when you notice something about the enemies.

Cause I hated the game from that point onward.

Was it a particular instant or just some growing dissatisfaction over time? I'm a little bit after the halfway mark and have put it on hold for now due to 50 different things that just feel either wrong or poorly explained that are making the game really hard to enjoy. I'd be able to deal with the repetitiveness if the mechanics themselves felt like they were really tight and made sense, but they don't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only thing I noticed about the enemies is that there is about 5 of them in the whole game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

The only thing I noticed about the enemies is that there is about 5 of them in the whole game.

Thats what soured my on it once I noticed that at about 50% and I hated the rest of the game.

Also, the inventory got on my nerves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

That would be a real trick considering there are 19 types of small yokai alone.

They probably could swap up the enemy variety more, especially by default, but still.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 1, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Nioh definitely overused some of the enemies IMO, I like what it was trying to do they just needed more slightly different actual enemies so I don't have to fight that loving chains first boss 100 times in various configurations. It was kind of cool the first time when you are like "wow this guy is so easy now" but then it just becomes old. There is very little time past the halfway point that you see an enemy and don't know exactly what to do. This helps to make it more accessible I think but also cheapens the level of variety at the same time, it's a trade off really I can see both sides of it.

I really like what it brought to the table though, I think if they refine some of it and just spend some more time on diversity of enemies and on continuing some of the more interesting level designs the formula will be very good.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The first DLC for Nioh that comes out tomorrow which adds a new weapon type, PVP and new enemies to the game should help alleviate that somewhat. Course, it depends on if you like the game enough to buy the DLC in the first place.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

TLoU difficulty stuff

Cool, thanks everyone. I'll definitely add it to my list of single player games to play through.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

That would be a real trick considering there are 19 types of small yokai alone.

They probably could swap up the enemy variety more, especially by default, but still.

I was exaggerating but that's how it felt after a while.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I bought Persona 5 on a whim and it's kinda fun, and it's my first JRPG since I played Final Fantasy VII about fifteen years ago and wondered what the hell the hype was about. Dear god it felt like about two hours before I was actually able to play the game. So many cutscenes, loading screens every thirty seconds or so for ten minutes on end, and mashing X through some really, really bad dialogue. I like the combat, but is there any way to see the turn order and not just who's going next? And do enemies always endlessly respawn?

I just finished the first palace with the gym teacher guy ten days before it had to be done, so I guess I have some downtime before the next big thing pops up. What should I be focussing on, getting a job, reading books, hanging out with team members, wandering around aimlessly talking to people? Seems like I'm only allowed to do one thing a day after school before something happens that results in me having to go home and be insulted for a bit before bedtime (e.g.: I went to the clinic to get some healing stuff for my second visit to the palace but ended up getting sick from experimental medicine and having to go immediately home).

I really like the concept of being thieves going inside people's perceptions of environments to change things up. Reminds me of Psychonauts. Hoping there's a lot more stuff like that (unlike, say, Remember Me which had that great memory-mixing conceit that happened all of three or four times in the entire game).

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Its fairly typical for jrpgs to have slow starts and tons of cutscenes, and probably P5s biggest flaw is when it takes control away from you for long periods of time while you mash through endless dialogue.
I don't think there is s way to view turn order beyond whos next.
Enemies respawn whenever you load in to a new area, but if you outlevel them enough they'll run away from you.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

spudsbuckley posted:

So far I seem to like it, but holy poo poo I'm really loving bad (I don't remember having a problem with DS) and still on the first level like over an hour later.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quote-Unquote posted:

I just finished the first palace with the gym teacher guy ten days before it had to be done, so I guess I have some downtime before the next big thing pops up. What should I be focussing on, getting a job, reading books, hanging out with team members, wandering around aimlessly talking to people? Seems like I'm only allowed to do one thing a day after school before something happens that results in me having to go home and be insulted for a bit before bedtime (e.g.: I went to the clinic to get some healing stuff for my second visit to the palace but ended up getting sick from experimental medicine and having to go immediately home).

Yeah, the daily-life stuff in Persona 5 is basically you get two timeslots (day and night) to do stuff when there isn't a story event, and things that generally progress your skills or relationships use a timeslot. At the beginning your curfew for evening activities is really restrictive but it opens up soon. You can't really screw up in what you choose to do, but if you want to maximize all your relationships (this gives you a lot of benefits and is where a lot of interesting story happens) you have to min-max a little

Edit: A big thing that people seem to miss often is when you are on the R1 city map, you can hit square on a location to see if one of your confidants is available to hang out with

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 1, 2017

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Attitude Indicator posted:

Its fairly typical for jrpgs to have slow starts and tons of cutscenes, and probably P5s biggest flaw is when it takes control away from you for long periods of time while you mash through endless dialogue.
I don't think there is s way to view turn order beyond whos next.
Enemies respawn whenever you load in to a new area, but if you outlevel them enough they'll run away from you.

Cool thanks. By the end of the palace all the enemies appeared red to me so I guess I'm not strong enough to scare them off. It was pretty challenging for the last few fights before the boss (the boss himself was fairly easy in contrast). Can you get XP from just doing stuff or do I have to grind on enemies?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quote-Unquote posted:

Cool thanks. By the end of the palace all the enemies appeared red to me so I guess I'm not strong enough to scare them off. It was pretty challenging for the last few fights before the boss (the boss himself was fairly easy in contrast). Can you get XP from just doing stuff or do I have to grind on enemies?

You only gain XP from fighting enemies, but what's almost more important than level is your personas. When you fuse personas the resulting one will gain XP and they'll get a bonus based on how much you've leveled up their arcana's confidant

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pablo Gigante posted:

You only gain XP from fighting enemies, but what's almost more important than level is your personas. When you fuse personas the resulting one will gain XP and they'll get a bonus based on how much you've leveled up their arcana's confidant

Cool. I did that once but have gained a whole shitload of personas (it actually made me delete a couple in the palace) and hit level 2 with a few confidants since then so I guess I'll check that out again before things kick off again.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quote-Unquote posted:

Cool. I did that once but have gained a whole shitload of personas (it actually made me delete a couple in the palace) and hit level 2 with a few confidants since then so I guess I'll check that out again before things kick off again.

That's great, there's no reason not to get as many personas and be constantly fusing as much as possible since you can always re-summon Personas you've already gotten for a fee.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I noticed that the clicker was the most common enemy in TLOU, but bloaters were very rare. I think I saw 3 or 4 of them in my whole playthrough. Are there more of those on higher difficulty levels?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I noticed that the clicker was the most common enemy in TLOU, but bloaters were very rare. I think I saw 3 or 4 of them in my whole playthrough. Are there more of those on higher difficulty levels?

I don't think there are any differences in enemy placement between difficulty levels, they only use bloaters a few times

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

clickers aren't the most common enemy (the basic infected and regular dudes with guns show up more than clickers do)

bloaters are kinda mini bosses and I don't think there are more in the higher difficulty levels

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uncle w Benefits posted:

The only differences are that you don't get to use listen mode, you get wayyy less supplies and ammo (although the game does a good job of not totally screwing you. You will survive a lot of encounters with zero bullets) and you can't take as much damage. It really does a good job of making you feel like you survived by the skin of your teeth.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Nioh has a lot of enemy types. It was also extremely fun. The one mark against it in my opinion is it might be a little too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I died 958 times in Nioh. 136 of those deaths were on one fight