Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Prog rock and Guitar virtuoso stuff is definetly the worst music.
Free Jazz, what I've been forced to hear of it has all sounded like a group of kids having separate music lessons in the same room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

Yeah but she actively advocated against even collaborating with aliens at all. No one disagreed that humans should look out for #1, your existence as a SPECTRE kind of confirmed that.

Her objections were against allowing aliens to wander freely on the brand new top of the line human warship (quite rightly, as Tali is revealed to have stolen all the designs for her people in ME2). She didn't ever advocate (batarian-style) isolationism, just that a level of vigilance and mistrust should be maintained (just as the Salarians, Asari, Turians all secretly did).

I'm not sure how you figure having a human as a Spectre serves humanity's interests, really. They work for the citadel council. It's a token inclusionary gesture, a sign that humans are accepted at the table of galactic politics.

But the utopian galactic community (that Shephard could argue was great to become a part of) never existed. The spirit of shared knowledge and cooperation was a lie.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Her objections were against allowing aliens to wander freely on the brand new top of the line human warship (quite rightly, as Tali is revealed to have stolen all the designs for her people in ME2). She didn't ever advocate (batarian-style) isolationism, just that a level of vigilance and mistrust should be maintained (just as the Salarians, Asari, Turians all secretly did).

I'm not sure how you figure having a human as a Spectre serves humanity's interests, really. They work for the citadel council. It's a token inclusionary gesture, a sign that humans are accepted at the table of galactic politics.

But the utopian galactic community (that Shephard could argue was great to become a part of) never existed. The spirit of shared knowledge and cooperation was a lie.

But the Turians DID build the ship and hand it over directly to the humans. There is definitely some truth about the races each retreating to save their own rear end, but it wasn't like they were actively working against Humanity. If Humanity never tried to join the table, and if the races never cooperated, there would never have been a ME2 as the Humans would have likely been wiped out then and there since no one cared to help them out. That wasn't the case.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I take my previous post back about music/dream chat. Whatever the hell you guys are talking about definitely tops that list.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My unpopular opinion is I'm interested in listening to your dream, but only if it tells a story. It's the 12 oz. Mouse random poo poo that's dull as hell. But you have a dream about finding yourself in a creepy town and discovering a cult? Cool, let's hear it!
And speaking of which, I love to have nightmares because they're so adventurous. Not "a loved one died" nightmare, but if I'm evading murderers or monsters I am having a great time. Even when I die. :v:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Jastiger posted:

I'd say Metallica lasted slightly more than 10 years and still put out some good stuff.

Man, I was a seriously OG 'tallica fan back in the day, and even I can't defend anything past the Black album.

I'm not saying that a band or artist can't put out decent albums or an occasional great song outside a ten year window, I'm just saying that's the limit for strings of brilliant stuff.

Like, I'm a huge Neil Young fan, and 1969-1979 was his run. He's put out some fairly good songs and albums in the last 38 years, but never a string of great ones like in the Seventies.

I can't comment on MM, not familiar with them except for 'Float On'.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Free Jazz, what I've been forced to hear of it has all sounded like a group of kids having separate music lessons in the same room.

I'll go a step further and say all jazz is bad. It's a waste of talented musicians. I'm convinced most people "like" it because they want to seem cultured.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

But the Turians DID build the ship and hand it over directly to the humans. There is definitely some truth about the races each retreating to save their own rear end, but it wasn't like they were actively working against Humanity. If Humanity never tried to join the table, and if the races never cooperated, there would never have been a ME2 as the Humans would have likely been wiped out then and there since no one cared to help them out. That wasn't the case.

The ship was a joint venture which you can point out to her as a simple gotcha that doesn't actually invalidate her point.

Whether the Turian contribution was cutting edge tech for them at the time is debatable, but they certainly don't share any of their best stuff post-Sovereign (the reverse engineered weapons specifically).

Again, her objection wasn't to cooperation where it was beneficial, it was to unreserved cooperation in which humanity gives all of itself up to the galactic community (like free access to a top of the line vessel). She didn't trust the aliens to act in similarly good faith and they didn't. The Asari government knew everything we learn through first two games the whole time but kept it to themselves.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Das Boo posted:

I love to have nightmares because they're so adventurous. Not "a loved one died" nightmare, but if I'm evading murderers or monsters I am having a great time. Even when I die. :v:
I don't think you know what a nightmare is. If you're having a great time or a fun adventure, it's not a nightmare. The defining characteristic of a nightmare is that it makes you feel bad. Scared or sad or both.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only played Mass Effect 2 and 3 so I never really met Ashley. I wish they would do an HD revamp of the first ME to get rid of the stupid mini games and the mandatory loading times. Tried to play it and gave up within 90 minutes because it's so terrible. But I guess all the people involved in the good ME games have left Bioware years ago.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 14:09 on May 1, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

The ship was a joint venture which you can point out to her as a simple gotcha that doesn't actually invalidate her point.

Whether the Turian contribution was cutting edge tech for them at the time is debatable, but they certainly don't share any of their best stuff post-Sovereign (the reverse engineered weapons specifically).

Again, her objection wasn't to cooperation where it was beneficial, it was to unreserved cooperation in which humanity gives all of itself up to the galactic community (like free access to a top of the line vessel). She didn't trust the aliens to act in similarly good faith and they didn't. The Asari government knew everything we learn through first two games the whole time but kept it to themselves.

Hmm that is a good point, the other aliens DID look out for number one. Though it isn't likely the Asari knew EVERYthing that Shepard eventually learns. Most of her objections seemed to be silly in the face of what was happening though. She didn't just object to working together, she though aliens shouldn't even be on their SHIP. You can't really have that attitude when you're the new kid in town and being handed goodies by those very aliens.

JnnyThndrs posted:

Man, I was a seriously OG 'tallica fan back in the day, and even I can't defend anything past the Black album.

I'm not saying that a band or artist can't put out decent albums or an occasional great song outside a ten year window, I'm just saying that's the limit for strings of brilliant stuff.

Like, I'm a huge Neil Young fan, and 1969-1979 was his run. He's put out some fairly good songs and albums in the last 38 years, but never a string of great ones like in the Seventies.

I can't comment on MM, not familiar with them except for 'Float On'.

Well their first album was 1983 and Black was 1991, and I'd argue that Load (1996) and Reload (and S&M!) were still good albums. Checkmate.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Every music discussion is just endless back and forth "the bands i like are the best" "nuh uh mine are, idiot".

It's therefore the most uninteresting topic for conversation aside from talking about your dreams.

What about iPhone vs. Android?

Or Console vs. PC

Or Playstation vs Xbox

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

What about iPhone vs. Android?

Or Console vs. PC

Or Playstation vs Xbox

At least those arguments involve technical facts that can be objectively compared. Still boring but theres more to it than "i like it".

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

At least those arguments involve technical facts that can be objectively compared. Still boring but theres more to it than "i like it".

I guess but 90% of the reason someone likes one over the other is personal preference or some loyalty to one or the other.

I have an iphone because I'm comfortable with it and it does what I need it to. Does Android make something better? Probably, but I dont give a poo poo because I like what I have. But that doesn't stop my buddy who has android from never stopping talking about how great android is to all his friends that have iphones.to

Yeah PC is better than consoles but I'm lazy and like that consoles just work most times out of the box. PC Master Race bullshit is annoying as hell and is a turn-off to joining the PC community.

Playstation vs Xbox who fuckin cares

basically all your thing vs my thing conversations are boring, much like this one.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 19:28 on May 1, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Jastiger posted:

I'd argue that Load (1996) and Reload (and S&M!) were still good albums. Checkmate.

Yeah, but you also argue that Des Moines* is a great place to live, so your credibility is suspect ;)

I waited until midnight to buy Load the moment it came out and holy poo poo was that a disappointment. S&M is fine but they're just playing mostly old stuff with an orchestra, hardly groundbreaking. They put out three or four great albums and that was it, I'll argue that when Cliff Burton died, so did their brilliance.

*last time I was in Des Moines, summer 2010, there was a flood and the freeway from the north was closed, we were routed onto an old state highway and entered the city right past a submerged trailer park with a bunch of sad-looking old people staring at their trailers all cockeyed and soggy. I was driving an 18-wheeler and had to take this decrepit surface street, full of derelicts, all the way into downtown before I could re-enter the Interstate.

Was Not Impressed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think you know what a nightmare is. If you're having a great time or a fun adventure, it's not a nightmare. The defining characteristic of a nightmare is that it makes you feel bad. Scared or sad or both.

I should have used "typical" in there. No one I know enjoys dreams where something's trying to kill them. They're the most fun.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'll go a step further and say all [food/drink/art/religion] is bad. It's a waste of [ingredients/materials/space/time]. I'm convinced most people "like" it because they want to seem cultured.

The amount of times I've heard this stupid idea is staggering.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been to symphonies and everyone looks bored

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

There's at least one of those "actually everybody is pretending to like this" takes per page. I assume most people are just being hyperbolic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nobody really likes anything. We're all just desperately seeking distraction from the meaningless horror of life under late-stage capitalism

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.
There is no true functional difference between the democrat and republican parties. The only difference is which demographic they tailor their lies to target to gain support from. They both only care about the next election cycle, and care nothing about the country or it's people. They're like an extremely toxic couple that fights all the time, won't get divorced, and that gets off loving like rabbits and getting off on the trauma they cause their kids as they sadistically try to manipulate them to take sides between the parents that simple enjoy watching the kids suffer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a rural coworker who was 100% sure anyone who ate sushi was just doing a thing "urban elites" do to prove that they're multi-cultural and trendy and open minded. No one likes the taste, it's just some sort of class-signalling.
Then I showed him a local cheap sushi place that was filled entirely with dirty construction workers and trades and other "blue collar" folk like him chowing down because it was what they craved for lunch after working hard all morning and he was blown away. Yes, they honestly like how it tastes, it's delicious fish and rice and half the rolls are like deep fried this or that or not even fish anyways.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You should probably stop reading the "stupid opinions" thread then.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

I don't know. I get it, to one degree or another. Opera, for instance. I know there are legitimately people who like it. There are probably even people who like it without the background to enjoy it on a technical level.

There are a lot more people who claim to like it for reasons but, you know, don't.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I see people especially here constantly calling directors like Ridley Scott and James Cameron (and similar) "hacks". I don't think these people know what "hack" is supposed to mean because those guys aren't that. In fact, I would say they are among the best and anyone who says otherwise is just trying too hard to appear superior by disliking popular things.

This opinion might not be unpopular for the general public, but it seems to be among the goons.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I see people especially here constantly calling directors like Ridley Scott and James Cameron (and similar) "hacks". I don't think these people know what "hack" is supposed to mean because those guys aren't that. In fact, I would say they are among the best and anyone who says otherwise is just trying too hard to appear superior by disliking popular things.

This opinion might not be unpopular for the general public, but it seems to be among the goons.

Also, Zack Snyder and Michael Bay are literally idiots who can barely function and put no thought into their films, unlike noted genius Chris Nolan.

Internet movie opinions are loving garbage and we're lucky CineD is a lot better than most places.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

You can't really have that attitude when you're the new kid in town and being handed goodies by those very aliens.

The game shows that you can and you should. The other idiots aren't entitled to be top dogs just because they got there first. The Citadel was a trap that led to stagnation and destruction.

Jastiger posted:

Hmm that is a good point, the other aliens DID look out for number one. Though it isn't likely the Asari knew EVERYthing that Shepard eventually learns. Most of her objections seemed to be silly in the face of what was happening though. She didn't just object to working together, she though aliens shouldn't even be on their SHIP.

You capitalise that as if it's ridiculous that a military organisation shouldn't allow random extraterrestrial personnel wander around their experimental spaceship. She doesn't explicitly object to Turian help in building the ship, or to the presence of aliens involved in the project (there are none). She has concerns that a defecting security officer, a mercenary, and a homeless person now have easy access to top-level human military hardware.

One of the three literally does steal the plans to the Normandy and present them to a military power that is gearing up for a war.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

brokenknee posted:

Using foreign terms in conversational English is stupid. Stop trying to sound smart by saying "faux pas" instead of "awkward, ugly, and gross".

Do you also get angry when people are described as 'entrepreneurs'? Perhaps you despise avalanches too? Or when someone mentions their fiancé? I know you're a posting extraordinaire, do you explode when people mention that film noir is the greatest genre, or that one should not flambé in the kitchen? Perhaps you slap away such fancy sounding entrees known as hors d'œuvres because they aren't called starters, or finger food? The cavalcade of french words in the english language is deeply entrenched, perhaps you didn't get the communiqué? Do you complain about such things to your chauffeur, because his resume said he was an excellent listener, the creme de la creme of the blasé conversationist?

Your post had a certain je ne sais quoi, I had to respond to your unpopular opinion in the form of a coup de grace. Such is the esprit de corps of the goon, and though camaraderie binds us all...c'est la vie, c'est la bon mot. You gave me somewhat of a carte blanche to post.

I have no doubt you are a connoisseur of true english words, and will appreciate the anglo nature of my riposte, I hope others are au fait with english and don't find my response too cliche.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gorilla is a Carthaginian term, and must be destroyed.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr.Tophat posted:

Do you also get angry when people are described as 'entrepreneurs'?

Someone described as an entrepreneur: fine
Someone describing themselves as an entrepreneur: gigantic red flag

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Someone described as an entrepreneur: fine
Someone describing themselves as an entrepreneur: gigantic red flag

Gigantic red flag that they absolutely need a juicer.

Or maybe they're about to sell you a juicer!

Edit: Also, that's a cool avatar you've got there, is that some kind of prawn vol-au-vent?

Mr.Tophat has a new favorite as of 13:16 on May 3, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr.Tophat posted:

Or maybe they're about to sell you a juicer!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

No, no you see, it's not a pyramid scheme, you see, we're like a mobile phone company, we provide a service while using that same service! Because it's great! Here, let me find a glass and you can try it out for yourself! Don't you think you deserve to be healthy? Don't you think you could be the one to introduce this great lifestyle choice to those around you? There are bonuses if you do!

MLM? That must stand for My Latest Milestone, because you are it it it it! Now, sign here for the first three hundred boxes...I put you the 'natural born winner' quota, instead of the, "unmotivated debutante' category or the 'dilettante juice pursuer' style; I assumed you'd want the very best!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But I think we can all agree if said person is injecting Japanese words into conversation, he is likely a monster.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Das Boo posted:

But I think we can all agree if said person is injecting Japanese words into conversation, he is likely a monster.

Agreed. Kawaii...tsundre...waifu...baka. The four trumpets of the weeaboo will ring out, and anime will once more invade the world (and your personal space).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've heard all of those but tsundre.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Das Boo posted:

Tsunami? Typhoon?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tsunami? Typhoon?

Neither are Japanese words for any meaningful definition of "Japanese". They're not pronounced the same as the Japanese words of the same meaning they are derived from.

e: My unpopular opinion that is also hard fact is that loan words exist, I guess.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 20:28 on May 3, 2017

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I don't know. I get it, to one degree or another. Opera, for instance. I know there are legitimately people who like it. There are probably even people who like it without the background to enjoy it on a technical level.

There are a lot more people who claim to like it for reasons but, you know, don't.

The reason people like music is the same regardless of genre, attractive people. As a kid, adults used to be super impressed that I listened to "opera," but really Dmitri Hvorostovsky is just a beautiful man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tony Bologna posted:

The reason people like music is the same regardless of genre, attractive people. As a kid, adults used to be super impressed that I listened to "opera," but really Dmitri Hvorostovsky is just a beautiful man.

I'm pretty sure it's just you and teen-agers.