Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The scene behind the diner always fucks me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Section 9 posted:

I'd say watch Inland Empire, but maybe give yourself some time to relax first.

Inland Empire makes me worried about the upcoming season of Twin Peaks. I'd like to at least ~kind of~ understand it.

The movie wasn't bad, and overall I enjoyed it. But holy hell he out-Lynched himself on that one.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

cptn_dr posted:

Gotta agree, Mulholland Drive is probably my favourite film ever.

The Club Silencio scene is an absolute masterpiece. Lynch immediately tells the audience "Hey, everything you're about to see is fake." And then, also immediately, makes the audience forget this and completely buy in to the reality of the scene, and not just once but twice (trumpet player and the singer). He tells you the trick he's about to play on us and we still loving fall for it, and even after falling for it once we're still seduced into his illusion again.

Only a supremely talented filmmaker, operating at the very top of their game, could pull that off.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

regulargonzalez posted:

The Club Silencio scene is an absolute masterpiece. Lynch immediately tells the audience "Hey, everything you're about to see is fake." And then, also immediately, makes the audience forget this and completely buy in to the reality of the scene, and not just once but twice (trumpet player and the singer). He tells you the trick he's about to play on us and we still loving fall for it, and even after falling for it once we're still seduced into his illusion again.

Only a supremely talented filmmaker, operating at the very top of their game, could pull that off.

This is the thing that gets me about both films but especially about Mulholland Drive. People get so caught up in thinking Lynch makes weird choices for the sake of weirdness, but both films give you basically everything you need to understand them, rather clearly, within the film. I feel like I really personally enjoy Lost Highway, but Mulholland Drive is probably the better film.

I'm going to do Inland Empire sometime in the next few weeks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Inland Empire is ... I hesitate to call it a bad film, because I think the issue is that I just don't get it, but it's not a film I enjoyed and I don't have a lot of interest in seeing it again. There are some amazing scenes in it, including one that is thematically similar to the Club Silencio scene that really catches you off guard, but as a whole it just didn't work for me.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Fly Ricky posted:

Inland Empire makes me worried about the upcoming season of Twin Peaks. I'd like to at least ~kind of~ understand it.

The movie wasn't bad, and overall I enjoyed it. But holy hell he out-Lynched himself on that one.

I'm hoping that the new season will challenge me like FWWM did ("give the fans what they need, not what they want") and intrigue me like MD and LH. If it goes all the way off the deep end like IE I will be very sad.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

hallo spacedog posted:

This is the thing that gets me about both films but especially about Mulholland Drive. People get so caught up in thinking Lynch makes weird choices for the sake of weirdness, but both films give you basically everything you need to understand them, rather clearly, within the film. I feel like I really personally enjoy Lost Highway, but Mulholland Drive is probably the better film.

I'm going to do Inland Empire sometime in the next few weeks.

When I read this, especially about Mulholland Drive, I've gotta disagree. I like what Lynch says about his movies, they are open to interpretation, there isn't just one way to understand or interpret his movies. And largely they have dream-like logic, highly surreal, that for me he pulls off better than anybody. He doesn't want there to be one correct way to look at a movie like Mulholland Drive, so I just find it odd when people approach it that way.

Your reaction to the movie is the right reaction, to me it's about the feeling etc, and just works as is, I don't look at them like a puzzle. I've read the websites about Mulholland Drive in that respect, just kinda seems counter-intuitive to what Lynch does to look at it like there's one way to get it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I liked the first half of Lost Highway but it felt pretty weak once it got away from Bill Pullman and I wasn't a huge fan after that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig the Balthazar Getty portion as much myself (plus it's got Gary Busey). But speaking of Getty, he's on the cast list for the new Twin Peaks, which is cool.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

It's a teaser that doesn't show much of anything but it does have glimpses of new stuff and makes me too excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI_UZ55d4_A

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So is Blue Velvet supposed to be like a dress rehearsal for Twin Peaks or something? Setting-wise, motifs-wise, it's like total deja vu.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Data Graham posted:

So is Blue Velvet supposed to be like a dress rehearsal for Twin Peaks or something? Setting-wise, motifs-wise, it's like total deja vu.

David Lynch loves the whole "small town/community with a dark underbelly with dive bars and diners" kind of thing. But yeah, there's a lot of similarities between the two though I'd say Blue Velvet is a little less campy and more outright violent. Which makes sense as it is a film and not a network television show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

True. But I mean even down to like the logging trucks driving past the diner facades, the frilly teenage girls' bedrooms, the incestuous sex themes, the seedy nightclubs with lugubriously crooned love songs. You even get McLachlan throwing rocks at a shack. It's freaky.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
That's probably the Packard mill's wood getting shipped through Lumberton.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Heavy Metal posted:

When I read this, especially about Mulholland Drive, I've gotta disagree. I like what Lynch says about his movies, they are open to interpretation, there isn't just one way to understand or interpret his movies. And largely they have dream-like logic, highly surreal, that for me he pulls off better than anybody. He doesn't want there to be one correct way to look at a movie like Mulholland Drive, so I just find it odd when people approach it that way.

I dunno, I always got the impression that his each of his movies is telling a specific story. He just wants the viewers to understand those stories by interpreting his films and not be told the answers in interviews, etc.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 2, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Data Graham posted:

True. But I mean even down to like the logging trucks

David Lynch loves loving wood.

David Lynch posted:

Wood

"Wood is beautiful stuff. I could talk a long time about wood."
"Well, wood is a very special material, and since the dawn of time people have been chopping down these trees and working with wood. Most wood will take a nail and not split apart. And wood can be cut with a saw and carved with chisels and smoothed. It has this beautiful grain, there's something that goes right to your soul."

http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/quotecollection/wood.html

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

We're not getting a real trailer for the new season, right?
It feels like they're just going to dump the new episodes out without a preview.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The "On The Next" bumpers will be more opaque than Mad Men's.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yeah, they're being incredibly cryptic and not actually showing any characters or dialogue from the new portion yet. Normally that would hint that a production is trying too hard to be mysterious, but it looks like they're generally trying to be spoiler-free and keep up the mystery.

First two parts on the 21st! Then 2 more a week after!
http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/1-and-2

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

SaviourX posted:

First two parts on the 21st! Then 2 more a week after!
http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/1-and-2

I thought I'd read somewhere that the first two episodes are airing together, with episodes three and four streaming online afterwards?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm just extremely happy that CraveTV (here in Canada) is getting the episodes as they air. :toot:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm somewhat worried it will be bad but even bad Lynch is still entertaining and will try unconventional things. I don't know whether to be more excited about this or Curb.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Captain_Person posted:

I thought I'd read somewhere that the first two episodes are airing together, with episodes three and four streaming online afterwards?

Looks like streaming is scheduled to be after the premiere for folks what pay for Showtime's online, I dunno, I'm not USerican.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm somewhat worried it will be bad but even bad Lynch is still entertaining and will try unconventional things. I don't know whether to be more excited about this or Curb.

I'm pumped and have pretty high expectations. I think especially because he wrote it with Mark, it'll be somewhat dependable. I'm sure it'll be out there though. If he was winging it without a script like Inland Empire, then I might be worried a bit.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm pumped and have pretty high expectations. I think especially because he wrote it with Mark, it'll be somewhat dependable. I'm sure it'll be out there though. If he was winging it without a script like Inland Empire, then I might be worried a bit.

My concern is more whether or not the actors still have it. I'm sure Lynch and Frost can write something decent, but you still gotta get the performances.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

My concern is more whether or not the actors still have it. I'm sure Lynch and Frost can write something decent, but you still gotta get the performances.

This is the least of my worries (although now I'll be watching for it, drat you!!!)

I'm assuming that we will get enough amazing scenes between actors that I'll be able to overlook the beats that don't quite work.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I legitimately have no idea what to expect from this. and it's got me the most excited I've been about a show in quite some time.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

McLaughlin was great a couple years back on Agents of SHIELD.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

notthegoatseguy posted:

McLaughlin was great a couple years back on Agents of SHIELD.

Lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That scene of Leo and Shelley in the FWWM out takes is so bad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cromulent posted:

I legitimately have no idea what to expect from this. and it's got me the most excited I've been about a show in quite some time.
Yeah that's the crazy part.

If the show was being brought back by someone other than Lynch/Frost, I would mostly expect this new season to just be a remix of the original two + FWWM, as so often happens with franchise revivals. But Lynch certainly is not the kind of person to do that and has only gotten crazier with age, and hell even Frost has some odd ideas in his own right like with his book last year starting with a pretty lengthy section about the Louisiana Purchase. For better or worse, I do not expect this season to be predictable.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
One of the biggest things I'll miss from the original series is the chemistry between Coop and Truman. It is always a delight to watch them together and it will be sad that Ontkean won't be returning.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Chris Knight posted:

That scene of Leo and Shelley in the FWWM out takes is so bad.

The extended version of Leo's methed-out cleaning monologue? That scene's amazing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

el oso posted:

One of the biggest things I'll miss from the original series is the chemistry between Coop and Truman. It is always a delight to watch them together and it will be sad that Ontkean won't be returning.

I literally just had a dream that he said he'd be back, so it was him, Coop, and Agent Rosenfield doing police stuff the entire time :allears:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

el oso posted:

Agreed. I loved how in the pilot, Lynch and Frost subverted all the cliches by having Coop say that he was in charge of the investigation and he hoped there wouldn't be any problems with that, and Truman said he was happy and grateful the FBI was here to help, and he was looking forward to working with Coop and learning from him. In any other movie or show, that would have caused friction and hard feelings, or led to a rivalry, but here, it was the start of a beautiful friendship.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB2naaQZbfI

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Agreed. I loved how in the pilot, Lynch and Frost subverted all the cliches by having Coop say that he was in charge of the investigation and he hoped there wouldn't be any problems with that, and Truman said he was happy and grateful the FBI was here to help, and he was looking forward to working with Coop and learning from him. In any other movie or show, that would have caused friction and hard feelings, or led to a rivalry, but here, it was the start of a beautiful friendship.

I still love how in FWWM the town is bizarro twin peaks so we do get that, but for comedic effect

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Looks like Sarah Palmer's hitting the bottle pretty hard :(

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Harry Dean Stanton is the king of Hollywood, he classes up the joint every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I might have missed this being mentioned before, but does anyone know if it is going to be released on Showtime Hulu subscription at the same time as broadcast? I don't have cable and was planning to get a Showtime Hulu sub just for this, but just need to know when to schedule my watching party.

• Locked thread