Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

little munchkin posted:

that builds been going around for a while

sun titan -> get back saheeli -> clone sun titan, attack with hasted clone -> get two more things back seems like pretty good value to me

also skred red in the finals maybe people will start respecting as an actual deck now they won't

People just refuse to respect Blood Moon and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

little munchkin posted:

that builds been going around for a while

sun titan -> get back saheeli -> clone sun titan, attack with hasted clone -> get two more things back seems like pretty good value to me

also skred red in the finals maybe people will start respecting as an actual deck now they won't

Yes, make my Snow-Covered Mountains GROW In value

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Star Man posted:

People just refuse to respect Blood Moon and it's great.

I feel like it's the opposite, everyone seems to think that the deck is all-in on Moon and ignore how powerful stuff like Relic+Scourge and turn 3 koths/chandras are. Like I don't even play with moons mainboard for low-stakes events because the card is legit not fun.

Count Bleck posted:

Yes, make my Snow-Covered Mountains GROW In value

Scrying Sheets was the real investment, they've tripled since the GP win. Koth has doubled as well.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

C-Euro posted:

I wish I had this kind of motivation. I live within walking distance of my current LGS and don't know if I would go as often as I do if it wasn't so close. And poo poo, I'm tired on weekends and the last thing I want to do sometimes is drive somewhere to think all day.

I live a 5 minute drive from one of the best stores in town and only make it there once a month at best. Sunday was the first I've played Magic in about 6 weeks actually. I have two small kids so it's hard to justify leaving my wife to put them to bed by herself a couple times a week though.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I wish I could get to a shop in 5 minutes or less, I live in NoVA and there's a lot of good shops but somehow I ended up where I can't get to an FNM in less than 25 minutes on a Friday night. And after a full week of work, I've gotten tired of doing that.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Boco_T posted:

I wish I could get to a shop in 5 minutes or less, I live in NoVA and there's a lot of good shops but somehow I ended up where I can't get to an FNM in less than 25 minutes on a Friday night. And after a full week of work, I've gotten tired of doing that.

I actually live in the same general area, and I feel for you. I've occasionally toyed with the idea of opening my own LGS in Reston, seeing as there doesn't seem to be one there already, but I'm a CS major and also don't actually know anything about comics and games myself, so it's a toss up between Fairfax and Falls Church.

(Free tip, by the way: Fairfax Comics and Gaming does casual, no-cost, proxys-are-okay EDH every Monday night, so if Fridays suck, try that instead?)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I live in Reston so I would play there every single week for sure. There are a lot of vacant places here.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Boco_T posted:

I live in Reston so I would play there every single week for sure. There are a lot of vacant places here.

Like I said, I have zero business background. If I feel like ruining my life with debt and bad business decisions, though, you'll be the first to know. :capitalism:

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I have game store that is about 40 minutes north and it's sort of a poo poo hole. Went there for my second time on Saturday for draft day. No promo, no dice for the 'trials' things. I know I'm picky about people but none of these were people I would ever want to spend any amount of time around.

The next closest store to me is 45 minutes south and I just can't do driving and hour and a half (total) to play magic with pubbies.

Considering going MTGO for my magic fix but the fact that it costs the same as paper (for drafts and stuff at least) irks the poo poo out of me.

I will probably just play commander and cube with my brothers the once a month or so when we can all manage to be in the same place for a few hours.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Inglonias posted:

Like I said, I have zero business background. If I feel like ruining my life with debt and bad business decisions, though, you'll be the first to know. :capitalism:

There were some people I knew that got sick of the place that was local and pooled their money together to open their own game store. They kept their day jobs and built it up with the expectation that it was going to make enough money to stay open and run events. The two that remained have gotten to the point that their store makes enough money that they don't have to work a regular job, but it took almost four years to get that far.

I don't recommend opening a game store, though, unless you want to live there at night because someone's gotta be there when it's open and it would put a huge strain on your family life if you have one.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

bigperm posted:

the fact that it costs the same as paper (for drafts and stuff at least) irks the poo poo out of me.

Same

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I don't actually play it but doesn't mtgo end up costing less just because you can reuse packs and points?

I guess it's still not much better

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Same here. I refuse to play it because I don't want to have to buy digital versions of poo poo I already own to play a game.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Inglonias posted:

I actually live in the same general area, and I feel for you. I've occasionally toyed with the idea of opening my own LGS in Reston, seeing as there doesn't seem to be one there already, but I'm a CS major and also don't actually know anything about comics and games myself, so it's a toss up between Fairfax and Falls Church.

(Free tip, by the way: Fairfax Comics and Gaming does casual, no-cost, proxys-are-okay EDH every Monday night, so if Fridays suck, try that instead?)

The Fantastic Store is in Herndon.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Death Bot posted:

I don't actually play it but doesn't mtgo end up costing less just because you can reuse packs and points?

I guess it's still not much better

You don't reuse packs. You can use prize pavks to draft though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Soul Glo posted:

You don't reuse packs. You can use prize pavks to draft though.

Some stores don't allow you to give them packs for store credit so by "reuse packs" I assume they meant "use packs as entry for the next draft".

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I did a handful of actual drafts on mtgo and had fun but the cost was the biggest problem for me much like everyone else. The flashback drafts when they actually had cards worth something were pretty clutch though.

Lone Goat posted:

Some stores don't allow you to give them packs for store credit so by "reuse packs" I assume they meant "use packs as entry for the next draft".

They are talking about mtgo specifically, I think

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Speaking of MTGO, it's looking pretty slick these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BHDaK2ZmYM

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

odiv posted:

That isn't mtgo though right?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Yeah, that's Magic Duels

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

:thejoke:
Come on.

It is hilarious that Wizards probably doesn't want anyone to actually associate MTGO with, well, anything. They're probably desperately waiting for Digital Next to come to fruition - they apparently were going to show at E3 but backed out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

odiv posted:

Having to pay to enter drafts with prizes against pro players is such a scam. Why don't they sell a season pass like every other game with DLC? I'll just play magic duels for free instead

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chill la Chill posted:

Having to pay to enter drafts with prizes against pro players is such a scam. Why don't they sell a season pass like every other game with DLC? I'll just play magic duels for free instead

Please source your quotes

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

I realize this is (probably) a joke but what actually does drive me nuts is when I play against WotC accounts. I've lost several 5/0s in leagues to them and it's all the more frustrating knowing that they're playing for free and from what I remember, they can't actually buy or sell cards so their prizes aren't worth anything.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Please source your quotes
I actually saw this one. It's from the comments on that PC Gamer "MTGO" video Odiv posted.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

suicidesteve posted:

Generally, nothing is worth grading unless it's in extensive good condition, which I kinda doubt a pile of cards in a closet from 20 years ago would be. I don't know how much it costs to get it graded but you have to consider that too.

As I said, I was pretty anal about my cards.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
sell seLL SELL!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

:stare: HOLY. poo poo.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rip test?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

That is a very pretty card.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

odiv posted:

Rip test?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
ayyyyyyyyyy, might have to make a standard deck now

https://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-lsv-standard-mono-blue-engulf/

That's Beta right? $5000?

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 2, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
When did Gideon Jura become $15+? Is this because of that Gideon tribal SaffronOlive deck? I do think that card is underrated in control decks but didn't expect a buyout spike.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I wish! German Revised.

I'd be happy to rip test a land from the same German Revised Starter Deck it came from.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fingers McLongDong posted:

When did Gideon Jura become $15+? Is this because of that Gideon tribal SaffronOlive deck? I do think that card is underrated in control decks but didn't expect a buyout spike.

It's the Gideon deck. You answered yourvown question.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

odiv posted:

Rip test?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Black Bordered basics are actually probably worth way more than random commons like Bog Wraith or Wall of Fire...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That Mountain was probably worth $20+

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

GonSmithe posted:

That Mountain was probably worth $20+

:lol:

Hoo boy, this took a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007