Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not a very serious political player. I'm just a voter.

You decided to vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
every now and then one of us may find ourselves with some lingering hope of coming up with a line or two that will, if not stop the smugposting entirely, at least convince pissflaps to maybe find a way to engage with the thread that doesn't make it painful to read on a regular basis

when finding yourself in such a mood, do your best to catch yourself, count to 10, and remind yourself of the true nature of The H-Word.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

You decided to vote?

I always do. I hope you can join me in voting this coming election.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I always do. I hope you can join me in voting this coming election.

I was confused what with you saying for months that you may not, but I'm happy that you changed your mind.

I will be receiving a postal vote in the coming weeks which I assure you will be used to vote labour. I hope you also choose to support Labour with your vote.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

Imagine if the UK population wasn't utter garbage? You keep voting Corbyn for the entirety of Britains ills and I'll blame the gobshite public for making GBS threads in their own bed.

If May is so plainly poo poo as you say, what excuse does anyone have? They don't have to vote for May just because they don't like Corbyn. They could vote for another party or not vote.

Ah, the old Corbynista favorite of "Vote Corbyn or you hate the people"/"gently caress the people they won't vote Corbyn".

Can't imagine why Corbyn's going to lead Labour off a cliff in the election with effective and compelling political rhetoric like that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

Ah, the old Corbynista favorite of "Vote Corbyn or you hate the people"/"gently caress the people they won't vote Corbyn".

--the poster who received multiple month-long probations from an Israeli mod because he found your dick-sucking of anthropomorphic Israel offensively sycophantic

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should vote for the person who will govern the best but people don't always and they're dumb for not doing so.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Does anyone know why russians dont interfere in UK elections?

Because Jeremy corbyn will only get 30% of the vote.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That is similar to Labour's performance in 2015 and the current polls, we'll see if it gets better over the coming weeks.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Polls~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYuoWyk8iU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

Does anyone know why russians dont interfere in UK elections?

Because Jeremy corbyn will only get 30% of the vote.

We don't want racists posting here, so gently caress off.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Corbyn's latest pledge is 10,000 more police officers funded by scrapping the cut to capital gains tax.

Anyone else noticed that the Tory word of the week seems to be 'nonsensical'? Everything Labour proposes is nonsensical now. Funding public services with taxation? Nonsensical. Saving money by scrapping planned tax breaks? Nonsensical.

It's no surprise they are keen to avoid any form of debate/interview/talking to real people. Their empty style of campaigning and rebuttal is purely suited to newspapers/TV where the media simply publish a press release verbatim. In any situation where a follow up question could be asked, such as 'why is that nonsensical?' it would totally fall apart.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Insect Court posted:

Can't imagine why Corbyn's going to lead Labour off a cliff in the election with effective and compelling political rhetoric like that.

*farts*

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That is similar to Labour's performance in 2015 and the current polls, we'll see if it gets better over the coming weeks.

It won't. Brits have the politcal equivalent of ID. They will never learn.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

You should vote for the person who will govern the best

Which is why the polls won't get any better than the 30% mark.

Its really infuriating as Labour have great policies.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like the police policy but I'm concerned that labour are going to harm their credibility if they keep trying to use the same source of funding for multiple spending commitments.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Teh national credit card meme

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pissflaps posted:

I like the police policy but I'm concerned that labour are going to harm their credibility if they keep trying to use the same source of funding for multiple spending commitments.

It did no apparent harm to the Brexit campaign.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TomViolence posted:

The "Assad regime" is otherwise known as the nation of Syria, the people of which you should have solidarity with regardless of who their leader is.

The CPGB-ML (AKA Horselord +5 other randos) I can take or leave.

The nation of Syria should start by not mass murdering their citizens, imo

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/patrick_ness/status/858338965916708864

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think a lot of that is those people see young people blaming old people for stuff like the Brexit vote and post stiff about WW2 without realising that they are in fact the lovely old people are complaining about and WW2 veterans are mostly dead.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Familial wealth is now the 9th biggest source of funding for house purchases in the country: https://www.ft.com/content/0bd5e826-2e49-11e7-9555-23ef563ecf9a

quote:

The Bank of Mum and Dad has unofficially become Britain’s ninth-biggest “mortgage lender” with loans and gifts from family or friends increasing 30 per cent this year to £6.5bn as house prices keep rising.
The scale of lending from the “Bomad”, which now helps fund 26 per cent of all UK property transactions, puts it on a par with Yorkshire Building Society, the ninth-biggest residential lender in Britain, according to new research. For those under the age of 35, the proportion seeking help from parents, friends and family for property purchases stands at 62 per cent.
The number of transactions in which family plays a role is just under 300,000, according to the study by Legal & General. The insurer first assessed the scale of Bomad lending for home purchases last year, when it said £5bn was lent. This year 42 per cent of prospective homeowners expect to get help from relatives, up from one-third last year.
House prices rose 7.3 per cent on average in 2016, according to the house price index produced by the Office for National Statistics. Price growth has subsequently fallen back to 5.8 per cent in the year to February. The average house price was £218,000 in February, £12,000 higher than in February 2016.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Why do people keep calling Tony Blair a "war criminal"?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Are these changes to University tuition fees a big gently caress you to the current NSS boycott or am I misinterpreting it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39736310

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ewan posted:

Why do people keep calling Tony Blair a "war criminal"?

On account of all the war crimes.

E non sarcy answer: he mislead parliament into a war of aggression, the ultimate war crime.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My boomer dad still bangs on and on about how bananas were still rationed in the 1950s like it's justification for hanging on to his enormous 4 bedroom house where only three rooms get used, instead of moving to a smaller one and freeing it up for a family to buy. He also holds very strong opinions about imagrants coming over here and taking up all the houses that should be used for good honest Brits.

He's Australian.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

learnincurve posted:

My boomer dad still bangs on and on about how bananas were still rationed in the 1950s like it's justification for hanging on to his enormous 4 bedroom house where only three rooms get used, instead of moving to a smaller one and freeing it up for a family to buy. He also holds very strong opinions about imagrants coming over here and taking up all the houses that should be used for good honest Brits.

He's Australian.

have you considered patricide?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

learnincurve posted:

He's Australian.

Tell him to piss off, we're full.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

nopantsjack posted:

On account of all the war crimes.

E non sarcy answer: he mislead parliament into a war of aggression, the ultimate war crime.
That isn't a warcrime. Call me a pedant, but when you're calling someone a "war criminal" it's pretty important to actually mean war criminal.

You maybe mean he led the UK into an illegal war but that is not the same thing as a warcrime. War crimes refer to atrocities committed during a state of war, i.e. those that go against the Geneva convention. An "invasion" that is in contravention of the UN Charter may be illegal under international law, but that's not the same thing as a war crime. That's why UK will always say Russia's "illegal annexation of Crimea", not say Russia "committed a war crime".

Ewan fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 2, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Too late.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ewan posted:

That isn't a warcrime. Call me a pedant, but when you're calling someone a "war criminal" it's pretty important to actually mean war criminal.

You maybe mean he led the UK into an illegal war but that is not the same thing as a warcrime.

It's exactly the same thing as a war crime. It's literally word for word the first two indictments at Nuremberg - crimes against peace and promoting a war of aggression.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's exactly the same thing as a war crime. It's literally word for word the first two indictments at Nuremberg - crimes against peace and promoting a war of aggression.
Launching/starting a war of aggression is a crime under international law. Just because it relates to starting a war does not make it a "war crime". War crime is a term for a category of crimes which are committed during the state of war (whether international armed conflict or non-international armed conflict). This distinction is important.

You'll notice your indictment you used also conflicts with your point - "war crimes" are their own line, separate from the other crimes you mentioned.

The indictments were for:
Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of a crime against peace
Planning, initiating and waging wars of aggression and other crimes against peace
War crimes
Crimes against humanity

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ewan posted:

You maybe mean he led the UK into an illegal war but that is not the same thing as a warcrime. War crimes refer to atrocities committed during a state of war, i.e. those that go against the Geneva convention. An "invasion" that is in contravention of the UN Charter may be illegal under international law, but that's not the same thing as a war crime. That's why UK will always say Russia's "illegal annexation of Crimea", not say Russia "committed a war crime".

this is the worst pedantry ever posted in one of these threads

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ewan posted:

Launching/starting a war of aggression is a crime under international law. Just because it relates to starting a war does not make it a "war crime". War crime is a term for a category of crimes which are committed during the state of war (whether international armed conflict or non-international armed conflict). This distinction is important.

You'll notice your indictment you used also conflicts with your point - "war crimes" are their own line, separate from the other crimes you mentioned.

The indictments were for:
Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of a crime against peace
Planning, initiating and waging wars of aggression and other crimes against peace
War crimes
Crimes against humanity

The classic Nuremberg quote on the matter is "To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole" note that they say other war crimes, I.e. it's itself war crime.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

She's not very good is she.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

The classic Nuremberg quote on the matter is "To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole" note that they say other war crimes, I.e. it's itself war crime.
Ok I was unaware of that, and it does seem in that specific context it is included within the broader definition of "war crimes" so it's not as clear cut as I first set out. I would add though that since the Nuremberg trials, the UN and UN Charter have been developed, along with it the more formal inclusion within it of classifying and making illegal "aggression", which further separates that away from war crimes, which are largely defined and understood to be crimes committed under the state of war, rather than the initial instigation.

As with all things international it's a very grey area, but in this case I back away from my derail.

So, who has the best summer BBQ recipes?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
She was fine on radio 4 this morning

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

learnincurve posted:

He's Australian.

Don't even get me started, loving immigrants are the worst, they come here and steal our jobs, eat our houses, buy our food, drink our polluted air, and they don't integrate! They should all get deported! Tories will build a great wall around the country, vote Tories.

* is immigrant *

Ewan posted:

So, who has the best summer BBQ recipes?

The best BBQ recipe is this:

- Get some argentinian meat and a bag of lumber coal. Flank steak and short ribs are the essential cuts.
- Start early. This whole process will take 4-6 hours
- Get a large grill, none of that pussy yankee backyard baseball BBQ stuff. It needs to be adjustable so you can raise and lower it over the embers
- Build a proper fire (google this, I dunno), break up the coals and spread the embers under the grill
- Rub some coarse salt on the meat, this is all the seasoning you should ever need, if you use BBQ sauce I will find you and kill you for ruining perfectly good cuts
- Put it on the fire
- What follows is several hours of slow-cooking the meat, turning it over, raising/lowering the grill, checking it, and drinking wine and talking
- Since you're European and used to lovely meats your first instinct will be to consider "rare" the best cooking point. I urge you to experiment a bit - this slow cooking open grill method, if done properly, will yield delicious brown caramelised fats and juicy juicy tender bites that are not red at all. But it's an acquired talent to cook the meat this way. Expect your first few asados to be a bit over/undercooked. You'll learn eventually.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I like how in these days of Trump and Brexit people think "gotchas" like this have any value with the public

• Locked thread