Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

TFRazorsaw posted:

Got through season 2 in my rewatch.

I miss Bobbi and Hunter.

I also miss everyone making GBS threads on Hunter.

I finished S3 and started up with S2. Simmons just got back on base with Bobbi. What amazes me is how many episodes of AoS have a really big twist as their hook but work all the better on a re-watch. Stuff like Andrew being Lash and Bobbi being SHIELD in this episode and the episode in season 3 where everyone suspects the Inhumans of being infected by Hive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Oasx posted:

I can imagine that they will tie it in with Inhumans that will also be on ABC.

Just so long as Inhumans does the same... I sometimes feel like Tancharoen and Whedon are the only ones who take "it's all connected" seriously.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, as an aside, does anyone else find Netflix's episode summaries to be a bit weird? They use the first names of the characters almost always; LANCE goes to find GRANT, for instance. It's weird when you hear Hunter's first name like 3 times throughout the series and his last 500,000.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xealot posted:

Not that this sidesteps the argument, though. (Black Mirror spoilers) You can still question how "real" people uploaded to San Junipero are. Actual Kelly and Yorkie are just as easily dead, replaced by soulless digital copies in a VR simulation. It's every transporter argument ever. There's no definitive answer given or attempted.

I'd say Framework people are as "real" as anyone, for similar reasons to most cyberpunk narratives. Consciousness isn't some known material...it's an inscrutable phenomenon, both in living humans and fictional robots. We accept that other people are conscious because they behave as if they are. "People" inside the Framework are honestly no different.

The answer is always whatever it looks like from the actual person's perspective. If someone dies and continues on in the Framework (or transporter or other virtual world), does that person still experience death, and then an avatar that thinks it's the original takes over? Or does the technology somehow allow a seamless transition into a virtual world for the user? For the former, it's not "real" because the original experiences death and then stops. To accept the latter explanation you'd have to explain how a technology could literally transport a consciousness. It's up to the writer to determine which one, but the former is easily more macabre.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nobody worries how Daisy's powers work or how they did the brain work on Coulson, but the minute there's a computer involved WELL NOW JUST A SECOND HERE, HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THIS SO-CALLED "FRAMEWORK" FUNCTIONS???

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic computer, or something?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So the Agents Twitter account posted "Forecast: Flaming hot weather".... Which can really only mean one thing.

Aida's getting her human body, then getting the Penance Stare. And I can't loving wait.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic computer, or something?

Well, when Intel started to fall behind Moore's Law, someone gave them a book ...

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So the Agents Twitter account posted "Forecast: Flaming hot weather".... Which can really only mean one thing.

Gay melty guy is coming back?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Aida's getting her human body, then getting the Penance Stare. And I can't loving wait.

I would laugh if Aida forgot about Robbie and didn't change any of his regrets so he's ghost riding in the Framework

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
So far, Aida's the only person to use the book and not get monkey-pawed. Looking forward to that.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I would laugh if Aida forgot about Robbie and didn't change any of his regrets so he's ghost riding in the Framework

Or she did, and he's still Riding - I don't think the demon part of Ghost Rider takes contracts lightly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Help computer! Stop all the downloadin'!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

OB_Juan posted:

So far, Aida's the only person to use the book and not get monkey-pawed. Looking forward to that.

Becoming self-aware for reals is actually a hell of a monkey paw. It's like Eve eating the Apple.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oasx posted:

Nothing has been announced yet, but signs point to the show getting one final season

Wow, we're getting another final season? Talk about embarrassment of riches.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OB_Juan posted:

Finally I can feel things like a real person!!

*is immediately shot by Jemma*

ow this sucks :(

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

"It's quite awful"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Aida loves Cheetos?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah, she does remember that pain sucks since she disabled that feature in her robo-bod, right?

I'm hoping her flesh body is actually just a female body infested with the Hive inhuman. Then we can have that arc all over again. It would give her super powers in the real world.
Maybe she can just incorporate every inhuman power she knows about into her flesh body? That'd be pretty cool.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ensign_Ricky posted:

yup it means what you'd think it means

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aw, now I'm said it's spoiled.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Heck yeah, we knew Hell couldn't contain him!

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

"This Tuesday, May 16th" ?????

Someone at Marvel is bad at calendars.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Aida is gonna become the next Ghost Rider because losing your humanity is the ultimate human move.

Her new body is totally gonna have a soul.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Would a penance stare work on Aida? Seems like she feels completely justified in her actions and is working towards what she was designed for specifically by her creator.

If that poo poo doesn't work on the Punisher then...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A villain defeated by a monkey paw wish would be consistent with both Ghost Rider movies. In the first one, Blackheart is soulless so he was immune to the penance stare but his mission in the movie was to claim the soul of an entire town. He succeeded but that meant he became vulnerable with all those souls inside him. In the second movie, the devil is about to take over the body of his child to replace his own and Johnny Blaze cannot stop him because Blaze got separated from the corrupted angel Zarathos. Since the devil's son has the same power as him, the boy turned Blaze back into Ghost Rider except much more powerful since being an innocent child means the Zarathos that merges with Blaze also became uncorrupted.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Does anyone else remember when this show had Edward James Olmos on it and he commanded a ship? Was pretty neat!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Does anyone else remember when this show had Edward James Olmos on it and he commanded a ship? Was pretty neat!

Yeah, and Lucy Lawless was in it too!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I like that two of the guest stars are listed as silhouetted man and waitress. Those are probably not high up on the importance list.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't think she ever encountered Robbie. Did she?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think she ever encountered Robbie. Did she?

He found his own way out of the weird-rear end limbo zone, so nope.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think there's a good chance no one cares about simulated matrix people except a few folks in this thread. The framework will get turned off and no one will mention it again except maybe Mack. The only satisfying conclusion I can see for that is if Aida becomes human, immediately turns off the framework as she has no use for it anymore, and then ghost rider shows up and stares at her for 7 billion 'deaths'.

Of course I also thought it was really dumb how she could previously re-write the framework at will to suit her needs, but apparently now she's just as vulnerable as anyone else inside of it. And she also needs to plug into it like a human, because I guess darkhold computers can't multitask at all. So my views on AIs and simulated realities are very different from the show runners.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think there's a good chance no one cares about simulated matrix people except a few folks in this thread. The framework will get turned off and no one will mention it again except maybe Mack. The only satisfying conclusion I can see for that is if Aida becomes human, immediately turns off the framework as she has no use for it anymore, and then ghost rider shows up and stares at her for 7 billion 'deaths'.

Of course I also thought it was really dumb how she could previously re-write the framework at will to suit her needs, but apparently now she's just as vulnerable as anyone else inside of it. And she also needs to plug into it like a human, because I guess darkhold computers can't multitask at all. So my views on AIs and simulated realities are very different from the show runners.

It'll be this. Mack will feel super sad about losing his fake daughter but that's it. I bet there will even be a quip before they shut it down.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Darth Brooks posted:

I like that two of the guest stars are listed as silhouetted man and waitress. Those are probably not high up on the importance list.

Silhouetted man sounds like something for the post-credits scene.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Any chances for a Ward re-skin at this point?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Does anyone own, or have read the Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Declassified books? They are hardcovers with behind the scenes photos and information. They have made them for all the seasons it seems, they look really cool but pretty pricey.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

R-Type posted:

Any chances for a Ward re-skin at this point?
Project Looking Glass will spit out flesh-and-blood recreations of Good Matrix Ward, Evil Hydra Ward, and Hive Ward. All three will fight to the death over the fourth and final creation, Ward's dog. It'll be a season cliffhanger, when we see only one Ward survived, but aren't told which one it is. The dog's fate will never be clarified.

Chokes McGee posted:

So... Pirates of the Carribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl? Well, they're both Disney properties, so Agents of SHIELD is probably free to recycle that ending.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

Ward's dog.

Who will be played by Brett Dalton, but with one of those snapchat filter things that gives him dog ears and nose.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It'll be this. Mack will feel super sad about losing his fake daughter but that's it. I bet there will even be a quip before they shut it down.

Yep.

Remember Fitz promising Ada 1.0 that he'd figure out what went wrong and fix her and then not too many episodes later we have Ada's head and Radcliffe's LMD roasting in a furnace while the Shield folks look on making jokes?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Flaming skull man will finally tell them it's not a simulation but an alternate universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Flaming skull man will finally tell them it's not a simulation but an alternate universe

He will appear in the Framework and tell them that it is literally actual Hell, reskinned.

• Locked thread