Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yes, I was just replying to someone who seemed to think Lei Shen was a panda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yes, I was just replying to someone who seemed to think Lei Shen was a panda.

Maybe Lei Shen self-identifies as a panda. You don't know! :v:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly I don't know wow lore past part of wrath. I just assumed the leader of the pandas would be another panda.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

chumbler posted:

Honestly I don't know wow lore past part of wrath. I just assumed the leader of the pandas would be another panda.

He wasn't the leader of the Pandas. The Mogu were basically giant stone monglians, and they kicked the poo poo out of the pandas (and everybody else) and enslaved them. Until one of the slaves spontaneously taught himself kung fu, which he taught to the other slaves, and they rose up and killed all the giant stone men, somehow.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q51B6M70QBs

seriously just add him to the game already

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

Honestly this (with my slight edit). I think a large part of the appeal of these games is how they distill down basic game tropes. Every game I can execute a different "power fantasy", with the standard rpg progression loop compressed down to about half an hour. I get to make build choices, progress my character, and optimize my own gameplay. It's just an inconvenient fact that I have to do it in the framework of a 5v5 competitive game instead of something like a hero defense. Why no one has executed a proper PvE mode in these games is an absolute mystery to me and I suspect it would be wildly popular. The few data points I have seen in LoL and HotS have the vsAi game modes being extremely populated, even if you adjust for leveling bots.

That being said, that's not the only reason that I personally play. I'm extremely competitive but at this point in my life don't have the time to practice the mechanics I'd need to compete in an FPS or fighting game, so I derp around in MOBA's because the mechanical floor is so much lower. However if you aren't playing with friends (good friends that you can shoot the poo poo with and that won't rage or cause you to rage), the PvP in these games is often incredibly infuriating. As a result I just play a lot of vs Ai in HotS and League (even those CoOp in LoL is total garbage compared to HotS) and I just put in the bare minimum of effort to hit the ranked tiers that get me rewards.

I'm just waiting for the first MMOBA to rake in a trillion dollars in microtransactions

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Philip Rivers posted:

I'm just waiting for the first MMOBA to rake in a trillion dollars in microtransactions

League of Legends would have a good chance of hitting that goal. I say that even as a League player who has given them money.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Tried out some Johanna today. Felt unkillable. Pretty fun.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Would you MOBA raid? I'd MOBA raid. That sounds fun as heck.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Philip Rivers posted:

Its telling that the response to the 10v1 April Fool's Joke was "I want that."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hey how do you make Varian have a shield or two swords? How do you decide if he's a warrior or assassin?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Hey how do you make Varian have a shield or two swords? How do you decide if he's a warrior or assassin?
Level 10. It's pretty self-explanatory once you read his ult descriptions.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Philip Rivers posted:

1stGear posted:

Its telling that the response to the 10v1 April Fool's Joke was "I want that."

Honestly yeah, I can see where AttackBacon is coming from, a MOBA with more of an emphasis on co-op PvE, done right, could be pretty fun.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Level 10. It's pretty self-explanatory once you read his ult descriptions.

Oh, ok. For some reason I thought you could start with something else. Colossus Smash is too good anyway.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

There are a some crazy custom Starcraft 2 maps that are basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAcEJqjLmVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_jP-Xza1Ps&t=273s

I think you can play custom maps free now

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Like imagine a raid that's less about pure mechanics and more about managing multiple objectives, map awareness, rotations, etc. That sounds fun! Mechanics/DPS checks are like yeah this is cool until you can clear it regularly and then it's just a chore. You could give the bosses a little bit of AI and reactivity and suddenly every raid is different and you gotta be on your toes.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Better PvE would be cool but Blizzard would probably rather have you play diablo or wow instead of their moba. Some version of 9v1 pvp would be a cool brawl, though.

Someone decided all dota-likes need to be pvp arena games and cash in on sweet esports money, since PvE doesn't.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The problem with PvE content in a MOBA framework is that the replayability of a MOBA comes from not necessarily knowing whats coming next. So your abilities don't change, but in other MOBAs your or the enemy's item build might, or in this game Talents. The enemies change, the comps change, the players who play them all change.

Raid style content relies on things specifically NOT changing so that you can herd your group of cats through the fights. So with 4-6 buttons, it's going to get "solved" and stale very fast.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Last Stand for Dawn of War was pretty dang popular. From what I understand it was a small PvE moba.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The PvE modes for Overwatch were pretty popular too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just create a Use Map Settings mode for HotS already. You, the developer, don't have to create any storyline or gameplay and your players get all the PVE they want.

I'd love the training grounds folks would come up with. "Steal boss challenges v3.0" "Bodyblock as long as possible FIXED" "Dodge the skillshots FINAL VERSION"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

My Gimmick Name posted:

Last Stand for Dawn of War was pretty dang popular. From what I understand it was a small PvE moba.

I totally forgot about that, but yeah that was a decent example. I think the way around having a pve version that is more or less solved would be having characters with a lot more build variety and an AI director of some sort to introduce some unpredictability. You wouldn't want to do just a circular arena or lane defense with the same waves every time. I'd see it more as a 30 minute dungeon crawl type of thing with a very accelerated leveling curve, and the boss being something like Cho'Gall or a team of heroes. So basically just co-op speed Diablo.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Yeah I am specifically thinking of modes like Hero Defense in War3, Last Stand in DoW2, and the Horde modes you get in GoW/Titanfall/Overwatch/etc. The variety in gameplay comes from the variety of hero selection and build path (and potentially you could do randomized waves etc). I'm envisioning it as a mode within an existent game such as LoL or HotS, although it's probably a valid enough concept to support a standalone game (you'd have to add systems like RNG loot a la Diablo or breakneck content development a la Warframe though), I believe there was some kind of hero based TD game that did that on Steam, I forget the name of it. I hated the gameplay and artstyle they went with but the concept seemed fairly similar.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Last Stand was fun, and I hope they come out with it for Dawn of War 3 at some point. So sure, if they add gearing and persistence and stuff to HOTS to make a Last Stand style entirely different game, I'd play that. No doubt.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
There were some PzvE dota2 stuff too, including a couple of wave survival modes which rocked. I think that's the best method to pve in the genre honestly.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

bliz when can i reroll my lovely hearthstone packs

just turned an all-common box into an azmodunk skin, gamble me up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wish I had more excuses to take Rain of Destruction instead of Horrify in ranked :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Someone tell me how to Alarak. I enjoy playing him, but I have trouble getting any results from him. Like he seems like he can sort of be treated like Thrall maybe, but I can't find that right mix.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 2, 2017

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

Someone tell me how to Alarak. I enjoy playing him, but I have trouble getting any results from him.

Properly being able to use his Telekinesis ability is key. I tend to use his Lightning Surge on cooldown to harass enemy heroes, and rarely miss Discord Strike after taking the talent the reduces the wind up time but gives him vulnerability.

Practice with his Telekinesis, though. If you have a harder time with his Discord Strike build (which revolves around Discord and Telekinesis), there's also a very solid build revolving around Lightning Surge. I often do a Lightning Surge build when facing off against a team comp that has 2 or more melee heroes, playing him as a backline caster.

That's a huge thing with Alarak, too - Play him as if he's slightly-more-durable version of Kaelthas. You aren't there to be on the front lines and auto attack, you're there to get in, do some burst, and fall back. Learning when or when not to commit to a fight is even more important to successfully playing Alarak than it is for most heroes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Caeks posted:

Properly being able to use his Telekinesis ability is key. I tend to use his Lightning Surge on cooldown to harass enemy heroes, and rarely miss Discord Strike after taking the talent the reduces the wind up time but gives him vulnerability.

If you are going Q build you go push distance at 1, Q damage quest, and increased Q size. Then practice shoving people into you and hitting Q. Don't use the cooldown on Q talent as a crutch.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

bamhand posted:

If you are going Q build you go push distance at 1, Q damage quest, and increased Q size. Then practice shoving people into you and hitting Q. Don't use the cooldown on Q talent as a crutch.

Odd, I NEVER take push distance at 1. I always spec into removing the mana cost.

Edit: Also I never get double cross. I'm rarely in a situation where the extra length would've helped over getting a faster Discord off, and having the faster Discord Strike gives enemies much less time to react. Specially so after diving with ult at level 10 - with the ability to dive in on a squishy, immediately discord and render them useless.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 2, 2017

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Did they remove Azmodan's demon dunk damage bonus based on range talent? The chaos slam build was great.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Carados posted:

There were some PzvE dota2 stuff too, including a couple of wave survival modes which rocked. I think that's the best method to pve in the genre honestly.

Big raid dungeons could have a combination of different elements is what I think would make them compelling. Wave survival, payload, simultaneous timed objectives that force you to split up with gank bots roaming around, sieging, teams of AI heroes and big bosses, I wanna see it all with an AI director making it chaotic and exciting.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Caeks posted:

Odd, I NEVER take push distance at 1. I always spec into removing the mana cost.

Edit: Also I never get double cross. I'm rarely in a situation where the extra length would've helped over getting a faster Discord off, and having the faster Discord Strike gives enemies much less time to react. Specially so after diving with ult at level 10 - with the ability to dive in on a squishy, immediately discord and render them useless.

Doublecross is an 83% pick rate. You can usually assume people (i.e. the pros) have figured this stuff out when the pick rate is that high.

https://www.hotslogs.com/Sitewide/HeroDetails?Hero=Alarak

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see an Ulduar map.

Boss camp could be either Flame Leviathan or XT-002. :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When do you all prefer Gul'dan's Q build over E? E just generally seems safer and more effective in the long run, long as you get it stacked up in a reasonable timeframe. Chat suggested the spell armor was as good a reason for Q build as any?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bloody Pom posted:

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see an Ulduar map.

Boss camp could be either Flame Leviathan or XT-002. :getin:

It would 100% be XT-002.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Ciaphas posted:

When do you all prefer Gul'dan's Q build over E? E just generally seems safer and more effective in the long run, long as you get it stacked up in a reasonable timeframe. Chat suggested the spell armor was as good a reason for Q build as any?

I prefer Q in pretty much all situations now, and I rarely see E build run at all. I guess if you are petrified about getting into range with Q then E build is good, but Q just seems like far more consistent and easy to hit damage, and decently survivable when you get the spell armor at 13.

bamhand posted:

Doublecross is an 83% pick rate. You can usually assume people (i.e. the pros) have figured this stuff out when the pick rate is that high.

https://www.hotslogs.com/Sitewide/HeroDetails?Hero=Alarak

It's considered so much of a must-pick that it is getting baked into his base kit when his update/rework comes (which along with Morales should be pretty soon)

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Given the VA I don't think there's a reason not to build Alarak for Q

E: qm threw chromie into a game vs Chogall, valla, valeera, and the butcher. I was chromie. It felt like being a mouse dropped in a snake pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Midnightghoul posted:

It's considered so much of a must-pick that it is getting baked into his base kit when his update/rework comes (which along with Morales should be pretty soon)

Is there any place to read more info on these reworks? It's actually one of the more interesting bits of HotS to me how Blizzard will occasionally go back and do more than just nerf/buff a hero but make significant changes to talents, traits, and playstyle.