Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rhyno posted:

HAHAHAHAHA I WATCHED EVERY SINGLE EPISODE OF SMALLVILLE OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

It's ok Clark, you weren't yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IT WAS CLEARLY RED KRYPTONITE

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about the best superhero TV series of the 1980s?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That music is so 80s it has a mullet and parachute pants.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Longbaugh01 posted:

For some reason I was watching the intro (again) for MANIMAL on YouTube the other day. It's just crazy how 80's it is and how many 70s/80s show staples it checks the box for:

-Hot blonde eye-candy co-star.
-Token black guy.
-Gruff police lieutenant.
-To top it all off, MANIMAL's powers were apparently appropriated from mystical Tibetan tribal people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugb_TIpPoWA

It's illegal not to say MANIMAL in that way. It must have the proper annunciation or you get 2 years minimum.

There's a whole bunch of weird forgotten superhero/sci-fi/fantasy shows from the 80s, I always like this collection of intros for them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_87i7FhkIs
Leads with Automan.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Huh your link is broken it doesn't take you to Misfits of Science.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

For some reason I was watching the intro (again) for MANIMAL on YouTube the other day. It's just crazy how 80's it is and how many 70s/80s show staples it checks the box for:

-Hot blonde eye-candy co-star.
-Token black guy.
-Gruff police lieutenant.
-To top it all off, MANIMAL's powers were apparently appropriated from mystical Tibetan tribal people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugb_TIpPoWA

Fun fact: Simon MacCorkindale was considered to replace both Sean Connery and Roger Moore as James Bond.

Medullah posted:

Huh your link is broken it doesn't take you to Misfits of Science.

Haha, I was only messing (even though Stringfellow Hawke does indeed have powers beyond those of mortal men).

Fun fact: An episode of Misfits of Science was Tim Kring's first professional work as a writer.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 30, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was in the collection I posted, but I like how Misfits of Science predates Courtney Cox's role in Masters of the Universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I fuckin loved MoS. I need to dig that up and watch it again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

I remember watching it, but I cannot remember if the characters actually had powers or they scienced up their abilities.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Extra, Extra, Rhyno loved Man of Steel.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lurdiak posted:

Extra, Extra, Rhyno loved Man of Steel.

I loved it too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really enjoy Man of Steel as well. Superman got to get in fights with people, not just lift, bend and throw stuff. Also I really liked the design of Krypton; it had this Giger bio mechanical look to it.

Also Michael Shannon is always fun when he's permitted to go crazy.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Damnit Lurdiak.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Damnit Lurdiak.

Yeah let's just go ahead and put the brakes on this discussion right here. This thread is not going to be the site of "Is Man of Steel good? Round 178" so just go ahead and keep your thoughts on that movie to yourselves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I WAS TALKING ABOUT MISFITS OF SCIENCE

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So how about that er.....show with that guy....about that comic book person.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

bunnyofdoom posted:

So how about that er.....show with that guy....about that comic book person.

I liked that show -- I wish it had gotten a third season.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Yakmouth posted:

I liked that show -- I wish it had gotten a third season.

I dunno. I found the wink wink references to obscure comic stuff bad

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

bunnyofdoom posted:

To each their own, I guess. I mean sure a lot of it was 'inside baseball' but I don't imagine casual fans were bothered (or even noticed, for that matter). It's just that I hate cliffhanger endings.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

bunnyofdoom posted:

I felt it was grossly miscast and also did not feature enough diversity and sexual proclivities to my specific liking.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Barrowman has said that he's not doing any CW stuff next season. Which is a bummer because he's always fun.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Did any of you motherfuckers mention the Cape because if you didn't mention The Cape then you have no right to talk about the best/worst superhero show ever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Really making me want to bend definitions and demand he watch TMNT Next Mutation in here guys

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Light Gun Man posted:

Really making me want to bend definitions and demand he watch TMNT Next Mutation in here guys

100% counts, demand away.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

catlord posted:

100% counts, demand away.

I wouldn't really consider the TMNT superheroes though. This has been argued for and against at length on TMNT forums.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Light Gun Man posted:

I wouldn't really consider the TMNT superheroes though. This has been argued for and against at length on TMNT forums.

Yeah, but I wouldn't really consider Clark Kent as portrayed on the TV show Smallville a superhero either.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Light Gun Man posted:

Huh, I'd consider them superheroes, but then again I'm not a huge fan either. They don't strike me as terribly dissimilar from other weird street level heroes at least.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

catlord posted:

Huh, I'd consider them superheroes, but then again I'm not a huge fan either. They don't strike me as terribly dissimilar from other weird street level heroes at least.

:spergin: time

It's one of those things where it gets into arguments about "how do you even define superhero, maaaan?" Like, does the super in superhero stand for superhuman? Does that mean the turtles can't be superheroes because they aren't human? Or more importantly, what do the turtles do that is heroic, really? The comics are the biggest "against" here, as they are basically just a clan of child soldiers trained and raised only to murder the Shredder for revenge. Which they then immediately do, in issue 1. And then again a couple times later. And his death leads to a major gang war in NYC, a repeating cycle of vengeance, was it really worth doing at all or did we only make things worse, etc. They do things that maybe help out humanity / the planet by happenstance but for the most part are only just trying to stay alive and fighting their own enemies for personal reasons. Casey and Raphael are sometimes portrayed going out on vigilante patrol but they're mostly doing it because they have anger problems and wanna punch someone. It's one of those things where you have to get real specific, like OK 2003 cartoon Michelangelo at least WANTS TO be a superhero. And he meets some actual superheros and fights villains with them but what exactly is his superpower? But then you could say that about Batman too. Blah blah it's a whole thing haha.

There's actually a part in the 4th volume of the comics where they get entry passes for like a top secret superheros only hospital, because actual superheros do exist in Mirage and the turtles helped some of them out a couple times. I guess you could argue that as evidence but ehhhh.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Greatest American Hero had a lot going for it. I still know the theme song. Of course, William Katt only did two good things as an actor, Greatest American Hero and House.

Although, for my money, Knight Rider would be the best Superhero show of the 80's. KITT is absolutely a superhero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Yeah let's just go ahead and put the brakes on this discussion right here. This thread is not going to be the site of "Is Man of Steel good? Round 178" so just go ahead and keep your thoughts on that movie to yourselves.

I was just trying to tease Rhyno. :saddowns:

AbsolutelySane posted:

Although, for my money, Knight Rider would be the best Superhero show of the 80's. KITT is absolutely a superhero.

That semi-recent reboot was so miserable.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Bibleman?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I watched 10 seasons of Smallville without a break and you think I haven't seen Bibleman? What kind of ameture do you think you're dealing with here? poo poo dude, I even met Willie Ames once.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Bibleman is my SSSHHHIIIIT!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

Well if he does that, he's also got to watch the episode of Power Rangers In Space where the Turtles get mind controlled and fight the Power Rangers.

Y'know, for completion's sake.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
When are we going to get a Stardust the super wizard tv show?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

Well if he does that, he's also got to watch the episode of Power Rangers In Space where the Turtles get mind controlled and fight the Power Rangers.

Y'know, for completion's sake.

Yeah and then you're roped into 20 years of Power Rangers too. Oh, and they crossed over with Masked Rider, that's in there. Oh and those are made from Japanese shows dating back to the 70s? Better stock up on popcorn.

Gonna just assume Japanese Spider-Man is already done.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
If any of you have Starz definitely watch American Gods, first episode was great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

I still maintain that the basic idea of adding a girl turtle to the mix is actually a pretty great concept. It was just done in the worst possible way (and I can honestly think of like a half-dozen ways to do it and still maintain the base idea of the TMNT).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

VolticSurge posted:

Seconding. I found edgelord Adam West to be especially hilarious since I was just forced to watch Batman V Superman by my idiot roommate.

Edgelord Adam West was great. It starts out with relative subtlety too, I loved how Dick slowly figured out something was really wrong and that Batman being a controlling freak is actually a bad thing.