Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

I've considered it. I've even had a recruiter from there reach out to me.

This is why I don't.

if you don't work in the public service or live in Orleans you don't need to speak french. Plus you could learn French, which is a cool and good language to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

There has got to be gainful employment to be had outside of the GTA and Vancouver *somewhere*. This Country has 35 million people in it in dozens of cities and towns spanning an entire continent.

Why would there be? I mean maybe I can move back to the northern interior and try to be a drug dealer or something but I dunno if I'm really cut out for it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jordan7hm posted:

if you don't work in the public service or live in Orleans you don't need to speak french. Plus you could learn French, which is a cool and good language to speak.

Yeah I would be avoiding public service work if I did. I've seriously considered it but ultimately we're not leaving the GTA while my wife's Mom is still here. Maybe in the future.

We also thought about moving back to Calgary but considering I have several friends who were laid off there (one of whom moved to the GTA just over a year ago for work) I am probably better off staying put for now and just sticking to renting.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 2, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

There has got to be gainful employment to be had outside of the GTA and Vancouver *somewhere*. This Country has 35 million people in it in dozens of cities and towns spanning an entire continent.

A lot of it requires a personal vehicle and lots of commuting, something you are vehemently against.

Small towns relying on a single industry and being self sufficient is a thing of the past.

Also speaking of lovely cities, houses in Barrie are poised to pass 500k by June. Just in time for the 1.2 million people that travel the 400 northbound every weekend in the summer.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm opposed to personal vehicle use for commuting in urban centers that should have servicable public transportation and active transit options available. Nobody should be carting themselves around in a half a ton of steel to get from the same point a) to point b) every day in a city. The same A to B grind between cities should be by train or bus, not in a car on a freeway.

Hell even in a lot of smaller towns in Europe they manage to make it more viable to get by day to day with limited vehicle use. I just don't understand why we can't have that here.

But it's not like I don't respect that there is work to be done that involves a lot of distance to cover in sparsely populated areas.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Let's 10 of us manifest destiny the north half of canada and make the north west dome-etories

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Rime posted:

There are 4.6 Million people living in British Columbia. 2.8 Million of them, or more than 60%, live in the Lower Mainland.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to why this is the case, from an economic perspective. :ssh:

Absolutely this. Outside of Vancouver/Victoria the economy of BC is garbage.

quote:

Job generation remains bleak in B.C.’s vast rural regions

So, B.C.’s economic activity and jobs have become increasingly concentrated in the Lower Mainland/Southwest region post-recession, from 61% of all jobs in 2008 to 65% of all jobs in 2016. This is exactly the opposite of the much-needed revitalization of B.C.’s north and Interior that the premier’s jobs plan was supposed to accomplish.

Another way to look at the regional jobs picture is the unemployment rate. Unemployment rates dropped below 6% in 2016 in B.C.’s southwest corner: to 5.8% for Vancouver Island/Coast and 5.5% for the Lower Mainland/Southwest. But elsewhere in the province unemployment rates are well above 7%.

Rime it seems like you keep an eye on land values outside Vancouver. Is there anywhere in BC that's still a bargain at all? It's looking more likely that the Liberals are going to win another mandate and housing is just going to keep getting worse and worse. Maybe I should try to get a job that will let me work remote and I can go live in the wilderness for a bit.

As an aside I was randomly panning the map around in realtor.ca and found the most absurd property. I didn't even know this island existed. No water, no electricity, extreme fire hazard, water access only and apparently almost no where on the island you can actually safely moor a boat. All that in mind and it's still $250k for a tiny slice of rocky bare land and this isn't even the side with a nice view of the city. With all those constraints I'm sure it'd be an interesting challenge to try to build something cool here though. Maybe I'll keep an eye on this weird island in case the market ever finally implodes and rich West Van people need to sell off some stuff.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
My FIL thinks that because of the increased cash restrictions, the chinese investors holding 10-20 presale condos (a glut of which finish construction in the coming months) will have huge cash flow problems and need desperately to dump them. In a building near his, one such speculator had to sell it back to the developer company haha.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Femtosecond posted:

Rime it seems like you keep an eye on land values outside Vancouver. Is there anywhere in BC that's still a bargain at all? It's looking more likely that the Liberals are going to win another mandate and housing is just going to keep getting worse and worse. Maybe I should try to get a job that will let me work remote and I can go live in the wilderness for a bit.

With the view, this puppy would probably cost you a good two million in Vancouver: MLS 2421209 - note that it does have a suite if you need some extra income to carry the mortgage.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Femtosecond posted:

As an aside I was randomly panning the map around in realtor.ca and found the most absurd property. I didn't even know this island existed. No water, no electricity, extreme fire hazard, water access only and apparently almost no where on the island you can actually safely moor a boat. All that in mind and it's still $250k for a tiny slice of rocky bare land and this isn't even the side with a nice view of the city. With all those constraints I'm sure it'd be an interesting challenge to try to build something cool here though. Maybe I'll keep an eye on this weird island in case the market ever finally implodes and rich West Van people need to sell off some stuff.

Lots of jobs up north, if you're a Chinese national.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...article6281852/

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao you loving losers

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I can't speak for others, but as a product of the Ontario education system my nine years of French classes mostly consisted of verb conjugations and video lessons from a talking pineapple.

So personally it'd basically be starting from scratch lol.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Femtosecond posted:

Ironically that island has a bunch of cabins on it and is pretty nice. Expensive as hell though (for reasons listed above) even before property mania hit the city.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
As a product of the BC school system, I can read enough French to get through a city OK. I can only speak like a caveman which I don't see any possible use for unless I was bartering after the apocalypse, and I can't understand anything spoken unless the person speaks like I'm retarded.

Moral of the story... :confused:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Femtosecond posted:

No, at least nowhere which is habitable. The baseline price for housing in BC is now $300,000, which might as well be $20m if you're in some shithole like Bella Bella with an economy based around subsistence fishing and welfare payments. Raw land is usually between $800-$1000/acre, with the odd exceptions such as the tops of mountains in the kootenays or swampland in the central cariboo.

I only know of a half-dozen "bargains" in the province and I don't tell anyone about them because I want to buy one in the next year or two and get out of the city for good. :argh:

Passage island is a funny place, it was almost a mini-lasqueti before the new money started buying the hippies off in the late 1990's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passage_Island_(British_Columbia)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

I was born in your loving country idiot

Haha at bragging about your New Stock status

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What's another Han in the mix

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/jhwfung/status/859205562378010624

loving lol. Fuerdai hires drillers to install a geothermal heating system. Burst an aquifer. City pays 10 million to fix it. Fuerdai forecloses and tells city lol.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

namaste faggots posted:

loving lol. Fuerdai hires drillers to install a geothermal heating system. Burst an aquifer. City pays 10 million to fix it. Fuerdai forecloses and tells city lol.

Time for a new head tax.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

namaste faggots posted:

Don't worry guys we levied $2 mil in property tax against the owner bank.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

cowofwar posted:

Lots of jobs up north, if you're a Chinese national.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...article6281852/

It loving owns how easily and seamlessly China is buying the country out from underneath us

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

It loving owns how easily and seamlessly China is buying the country out from underneath us

It is kind of hilarious in a way that a people who were so ruthlessly poo poo on back in the day, to the point where the country straight up was like "we don't want you here so much that we will charge you an entry fee, then relegate you to ethnic ghettos and treat you little better than slave labour" have ended up pulling such a brutal own 100+ years later.

Natives just need to get their turn to dunk on whitey next for the circle to be complete.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why the gently caress do idiot BC rurals vote liberal when they're giving the resource sector away entirely to TFW's ? Wouldn't that sort of poo poo send them into a rage?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Butcher posted:

It is kind of hilarious in a way that a people who were so ruthlessly poo poo on back in the day, to the point where the country straight up was like "we don't want you here so much that we will charge you an entry fee, then relegate you to ethnic ghettos and treat you little better than slave labour" have ended up pulling such a brutal own 100+ years later.

Natives just need to get their turn to dunk on whitey next for the circle to be complete.

we did opium wars to them so they're doing carfentanyl to us

better than we deserve tbh

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Why the gently caress do idiot BC rurals vote liberal when they're giving the resource sector away entirely to TFW's ? Wouldn't that sort of poo poo send them into a rage?

Because a huge chunk of rural British Columbians are morons

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Because remember, the 90s was a dark time for everyone with the NDP in power and

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Glenn Clarks new deck was the peak of corruption, nothing since has even come close.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/wicary/status/859498157117505536

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Watch china buy $10b worth of real estate in 1 deal.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Glenn Clarks new deck was the peak of corruption, nothing since has even come close.

Oh so MLAs aren't entitled to affordable home renovations????

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you actually read the provincial charter MLAs are entitled to a deck reno and a trip to Disneyland per year of service, a pig every month, and two comely lasses of virtue true.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McGavin posted:

a pig every month, and two comely lasses of virtue true.

I can think of one way to economize.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Not to be outdone by Toronto we have a Vancouver boat lyfe article.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...e-sea-full-time

mashed fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 3, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
These are much more reasonable articles than the usual attempts to paint liveaboards and other alternative housing as mental illness of some sort.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

fast ferries Fast Ferries FAST FERRIES FAST FERRIES!!!!!!!!

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I'm looking forward to the dark ages of BC ushered in by the NDP.

I got hammer pants waiting to break out of my closet.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Rime posted:

These are much more reasonable articles than the usual attempts to paint liveaboards and other alternative housing as mental illness of some sort.

Living in a van

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/vancouver/greater-vancouver-condo-prices-surge/article34877701/

quote:

Greater Vancouver condo prices surge, but sales slow down

Condos are leading a revival of prices in the Vancouver region’s housing market, but sales activity remains below the torrid pace of a year earlier.

The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver said Tuesday that the benchmark price for condos sold last month in its territory reached $554,100, up 8.2 per cent over the past three months and 16.6 per cent from April, 2016. Benchmark prices are the industry’s representation of typical homes sold.

In the townhouse segment in April, the benchmark price hit $701,800, up 5.3 per cent over the past three months and 15.3 per cent from April, 2016.

After setting record highs for sales early last year, the number of properties changing hands began falling in April, 2016, and continued sliding for several months after the B.C. government imposed a 15-per-cent tax on foreign buyers in the Vancouver region in August.

The tax hit detached houses the hardest. Last month’s benchmark price of $1.52-million for detached houses in Greater Vancouver fell 3.9 per cent compared with August, but is still up 8.1 per cent over the past year.

For all housing types, there were 3,553 transactions of existing properties on the Multiple Listing Service last month, down 25.7 per cent from a year earlier, though the sales volume rang in 4.8 per cent more than the 10-year average for April. The benchmark price for all housing types increased 11.4 per cent year over year to $941,100.

“Until more entry-level – or ‘missing middle’ – homes are available for sale in our market, we’ll likely continue to see prices increase,” real estate board president Jill Oudil said in a statement Tuesday. She noted that 68.5 per cent of sales in the first four months of this year have been for condos and townhouses, compared with 58.2 per cent during the same period in 2016.

Fewer luxury mansions are selling, dragging down the average price for detached houses to $1.77-million in Greater Vancouver last month, a 2.7-per-cent decrease from April, 2016. The average price for resale condos, by contrast, has surged 20.1 per cent over the past year to $634,723, while the average price for townhouses increased 8 per cent to $833,223.

Industry experts say the B.C. government’s subsidy program for first-time home buyers, introduced in mid-January, has contributed to the run-up in entry-level property prices over the past three months.

Housing affordability has been a major issue during the provincial election campaign for both the BC Liberals and the BC NDP.

The benchmark price of a detached house in the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board’s territory reached $888,900 in April, a 14.5-per-cent increase from the same month in 2016. The Fraser Valley board’s sales volume last month dropped 24.9 per cent from a year earlier.

Many residents have cashed out of Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley to move to Victoria on Vancouver Island. There, the benchmark price for detached houses in the provincial capital’s core has climbed 17.6 per cent over the past year to $805,100. The core encompasses Victoria and suburbs such as Oak Bay, Esquimalt and View Royal, as well as parts of Saanich.

In the broader area called Greater Victoria, the benchmark price for detached properties last month hit $663,500, up 16.8 per cent from a year earlier.

Ara Balabanian, president of the Victoria Real Estate Board, said Victoria City Council wisely reversed course last week by scrapping plans to ask the provincial government to slap a tax on foreign buyers in the capital.

“The issues that Vancouver and Toronto may have with regards to foreign buyers and speculators are much different than what we have in Victoria,” Mr. Balabanian said in an interview. “I don’t see any real reason to rush into a tax in our area.”

Between June 10 and Feb. 28, foreign purchasers accounted for 4.5 per cent of residential transactions in the Capital Regional District, which includes Victoria and suburbs such as Oak Bay and Saanich. By comparison, foreign buyers accounted for more than 11 per cent of residential deals over the same period in the Vancouver suburbs of Richmond and Burnaby, according to data compiled by the B.C. government.

just fyi, the house committee on housing or re or whatever recommended that the federal government do nothing to affect the housing market. except work to make it easier for first time home buyers to get into the re market.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/committee-urges-ottawa-to-aid-first-time-home-buyers/article34709288/

quote:

A nearly year-long parliamentary study of the Canadian housing market has concluded with a call for Ottawa to help first-time home buyers, but to otherwise stay on the sidelines.

The House of Commons finance committee released a report Thursday with a set of cautious recommendations for how Ottawa should approach the calls for government action, particularly in hot housing markets such as Toronto and Vancouver.

While recommending a response to the concerns of first-time home buyers, the committee also urged the federal government not to make any quick decisions. Only seven months have passed since Finance Minister Bill Morneau unveiled a series of policy measures aimed at discouraging Canadians from taking on too much mortgage debt.

loving lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/kevinmilligan/status/859631418321850373

it's a good thing all those boomers are gifting money to their kids to save to look after their parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/05/02/buying-a-650000-condo-with-help-from-the-bc-government.html

quote:

Trading a rental for a $650,000 condo, with help from the B.C. government

One recipient of the B.C. government's down payment loan program speaks out about how the program helped him get into Vancouver's unattainable housing market

Economists have warned an interest-free, taxpayer-funded home loan program could push real estate prices up further — but the B.C. Liberals say the loan for first-time homeowners is helping people get into the housing market and free up rental.

Lucas Mitchell, a 34-year-old management consultant who lives in Vancouver, says he applied for the program as soon as it became available in February.

“The place we’re getting is a little bit more than the place we were living and we have more certainty,” Mitchell said.

Michell and his partner, Karen Johnson, had thought about buying for some time but didn’t feel able to get into the market, and the down payment loan made that dream seem more attainable. The loan is available only to first-time buyers who make less than $150,000 a year and only for homes worth $750,000 or less. Homeowners must start paying the government back in five years and go through an application process that tests their ability to afford their mortgage.

Mitchell and Johnson were renting a 600 square-foot one bedroom for $1,500 at Broadway and Fraser. They bought a $650,000 one-bedroom condo plus den, totalling 900 square feet, in a 1980s-era building near Granville Island. They now pay a little under $3,000 a month in mortgage payment and strata fees.

Mitchell acknowledges it was a big decision and may not be for everyone in Vancouver’s super-heated real estate market, where condo and townhouse prices have surged throughout 2017 after briefly cooling in the latter half of 2016.

Mitchell and Johnson used the full amount available under the HOME loan program — $37,500 — and contributed a matching amount from their own money and some help from their parents, to make up a 11 per cent down payment.

Since Johnson, an environmental consultant, is working four days a week and studying for a master’s degree, the payments are “right at the edge of our affordability right now,” Mitchell said. But with stable careers and a lot of research, the couple felt comfortable taking the big financial step.

Mitchell spoke to Metro from the campaign office of Gabe Garfinkel, B.C. Liberal candidate for Vancouver-Fairview. Garfinkel said he wanted to get the word out that the B.C. Liberals are serious about tackling housing affordability.
Citing comments from NDP candidate David Eby, Garfinkel said the NDP have threatened to scrap the loan program. In an email to Metro, NDP campaign staffer Jen Holmwood wrote: “We’re concerned that Christy Clark set up this program that puts first time homebuyers even deeper in debt and benefits developers, but our plan has not changed the funding set for that program. We’ll take a look at how it’s working, but anyone who has already applied won’t be affected.”

The B.C. government plans to spend $703 million on the program over the next three years.

Economists like Tom Davidoff, a professor at the University of British Columbia, are concerned the HOME loan program will raise prices in a market where supply already struggles to meet demand.
“It encourages you to spend more, because the more you spend on a place ­— up to $750,000 — the bigger the benefit,” he said.

“You’re encouraging people to pay more for a given property, so a lot of the benefit goes to sellers rather than buyers.”

There was already lots of competition for condos when Mitchell started looking in February, he said. The market has only gotten more heated since then and Mitchell is glad he took advantage of the program early.

what kind of loving management consultant makes less than 150k/year

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucasmitchell/?ppe=1

just loving lol if that's all EY is paying managers in charge of some national loving poo poo