Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Vahtooch posted:

Just went and checked out the Altron and Deathscythe and I want them both, but lordy the Altron isn't cheap. Is that just because Supernova are newer to the game or is it really that much more parts heavy?

Definitely not parts count, i'll tell you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

http://us.p-bandai.asia/

It begins.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Niiice.

All metal builds so far, so prices still seem super high. And that $20 off shipping promo scares me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow that's a terrible website

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Sounds like model kits are not actually going to be part of this.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Sounds like model kits are not actually going to be part of this.

considering they just launched the site, it could be a bit early to judge.

It would be so incredibly lame if they didn't sell kits though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
ROBOT SPIRITS 〈SIDE MS〉 RGC-80 GM CANNON ver. A.N.I.M.E. is probably the most absurd gundam product name.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 28, 2017

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Holy crap, a flat $33 dollar shipping fee? There's no loving way i'd pay a Master Grade to ship a Master Grade, let alone my ECOAS Jegan (which probably isn't gonna get released here).

E: Also, Japan really needs Web 2.0 Developers.

Triggerhappypilot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 28, 2017

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So is Bandai's plan to make a US P-bandai web store that is so garbage that when no one uses it they can go "well we tried to cater to North America and no one used the site so..."? Cause if so they're doing a fantastic job so far...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Improbable Lobster posted:

ROBOT SPIRITS 〈SIDE MS〉 RGC-80 GM CANNON ver. A.N.I.M.E. is probably the most absurd gundam product name.

HGUC 1/144 Unicorn Gundam [Destroy Mode] 7-Eleven Color Ver.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I will not have anyone besmirch the good name of the Action New Imagination Memory Emotion line of Robot Spirits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Looks like your typical Japanese website to me, i.e. hideously outdated in both layout and functionality, and about as pleasurable to use as a steak knife carved from a frozen turd.

e: supposedly, the flat rate covers multiple items, which might ease the pain somewhat. And $33 for a large-ish Master Grade via EMS does not seem out of line to me, though for anything smaller it's obviously kind of hosed.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 28, 2017

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So how is the molding on Daban and/or Dragon Monako nowadays? I saw a few kits they made that don't have official releases and It's tempting. I'm not into supporting straight knockoffs but I feel ok with own designs so to say.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zedd posted:

So how is the molding on Daban and/or Dragon Monako nowadays? I saw a few kits they made that don't have official releases and It's tempting. I'm not into supporting straight knockoffs but I feel ok with own designs so to say.

The molding is fine on most recent releases. I just built DM TV Deathscythe Hell and enjoyed the build - only a few parts required me to do modifications to make them fit properly and that was mostly due to painting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Ta4-_jEWg

This is awkwardly charming.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

I was watching IBO today and built the Barbatos. I haven't built any kits in over a year so it was nice to get some nippers in hand. No stickers or anything. I'll try to pick up some red paint to do the markings sometime soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Went to Supanova Melbourne today, and one of the stores with Gunpla actually had a Gojulas: The Ogre kit. With the bonus cannon pack included free! I asked what the price was just out of curiosity, and it was pretty loving steep; $700AU.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah4i5s2rsU4

I remember when Gato saved Amuro from Char at A Baoa Qu.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
My Hobby Wave clearance order just arrived.

I've managed to avoid having a backlog for the past year; guess that era has passed.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Soul of Chogokin Pacific Rim revealed at the American Tamashii Nations thing apparently.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/SoulinkChu/status/858292882851205120

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I took a break from all the painted builds I've been doing with a just-for-fun snap built, seam filled, panel lined and top coated build. My 00tp, the GN Archer and Arios GNHW/M.

The only painting done was the GN Archer's rifles due to a gouge. Everything else is stickers, warts and all. Always humbling when you don't have paint and putty to back you up and cover up mistakes!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

Paper Kaiju posted:

My Hobby Wave clearance order just arrived.

I've managed to avoid having a backlog for the past year; guess that era has passed.

:stare: swap out the GBF with HG origins and my backlog is shockingly similar (way too many IBO kits, the G Gundam HGs, 2 of those 3 RG kits + a MG Strike Rouge Ootori I'll get to some day)

tenderjerk fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 1, 2017

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

I bought my first Gunpla today.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

Ooh, not a bad call. High detail, simple to build, few stickers, great-looking suit. I think you'll enjoy that one.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Beelerzebub posted:

It is fun.

Anyone else build them as a way to relieve stress? Anytime I find myself worrying too much about something, I go and spend an hour or two working on a build. Having to focus on it in order to avoid making mistakes helps me clear my mind and feel better.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Beelerzebub posted:

One of us. One of us. One of us... :)

You'll enjoy it. Lupus is a great kit.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

Kibner posted:

It is fun.

Anyone else build them as a way to relieve stress? Anytime I find myself worrying too much about something, I go and spend an hour or two working on a build. Having to focus on it in order to avoid making mistakes helps me clear my mind and feel better.

For sure, I do the same thing. I like to throw on some music and just spend some time "in the zone" - it's a little bit meditative in that way, right? Plus building things is just satisfying: you're working with your hands, all your progress is nice and visible... it is a good hobby.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The gunpla world is the only world where everything fits into place

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Gunpla and LEGO for me are my two most cathartic hobbies. But at least with LEGO I'm not questioning whether I should kitbash or learn to use an airbrush or actually buy an airbrush and oh god how do you mix paint etc etc

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Zodack posted:

Gunpla and LEGO for me are my two most cathartic hobbies. But at least with LEGO I'm not questioning whether I should kitbash or learn to use an airbrush or actually buy an airbrush and oh god how do you mix paint etc etc

Hello me.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Go all in, every time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That Gobbo posted:

Go all in, every time.

I thought the whole lesson of Iron Blooded Orphans was that you shouldn't do that.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

That Gobbo posted:

Go all in, every time.

I like knowing that if I gently caress something up I can hide it with paint, but the notion of having to paint my Psycho Zaku sends me into fever fits for how long it would take.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My fears are that if I buy an airbrush and try to learn the ropes the early results will look like those awful nightmare paintjobs you see online. But it would still be progress which is much better than snapbuilding.

The next logical step would be to make a photobooth too, and then learn how to take good photos, etc

Gunpla black hole

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I realized recently that beyond touchups to make sure cuts don't show, and panel lining, I don't care about making it look better. I mostly like seeing cool and unique mechanics and assemblies stuff has.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nothing wrong with doing straight builds. They're just fun to construct.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
And on the other side of the same coin, painting doesn't have to be about just making your model look *perfect*, painting things is fun in its own right. I never get perfect lightbox-worthy results for my efforts, but I still paint everything because giving my dudes cool custom paintjobs rules. So just do what sounds fun??

i mega-sympathize with the guy who's afraid of painting his psycho zaku though, i'm building mine now and every new page of the manual inspires fresh dread

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
So when y'all paint your kits, do you prime and then paint the exact same runner color over them if you're not doing a custom scheme? If so, what's the point of it? Not judging, just really interested in how people decide to paint.

I tend to really like kits that follow the original color scheme, but as someone who is scared of painting his kits (I spend hours denubbing, sanding, etc. - I'm scared to ruin it by painting), is there a noticeable difference with a painted kit vs a kit that is just matte/glossy coated over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Very noticeable difference, and that's not even getting into things like shading effects and weathering.

A clear topcoat alone can go a long way towards fixing the shittier visual qualities of bare plastic, though.