Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I guess the next problem is going to be another slap fight about who owns Pied Piper IP. Hooli might be able to shelter and pay the fine if they realize they now own the PP compression algorithm, Jack comes up with the same/similar new internet plan, and they try to fight in court that Richard came up with the idea on now Hooli property and need to forfeit everything.

Just a guess but from the end of that last episode it seems likely.
Piper Chat never owned the compression algorithm so Hooli doesn't own it now. They own the right to use it for video chat and nothing else. This was pretty clearly stated in the first episode when the split happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I guess the next problem is going to be another slap fight about who owns Pied Piper IP. Hooli might be able to shelter and pay the fine if they realize they now own the PP compression algorithm, Jack comes up with the same/similar new internet plan, and they try to fight in court that Richard came up with the idea on now Hooli property and need to forfeit everything.

Just a guess but from the end of that last episode it seems likely.

Nah, hooli took over piperchat, which just licensed the algorithm from Richard's pied piper

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

SHOAH NUFF posted:

So the "we forgot to add a TOS signature page" issue is how they get everyone back together. I agree with some people that it is annoying how they just keep running in circles with the startup growth plot but the jokes are so good, who really cares

As long as it keeps causing classic Gavin moments everything will be okay.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Krowley posted:

Nah, hooli took over piperchat, which just licensed the algorithm from Richard's pied piper

Can Richard add huge license fees after the fact?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Holyshoot posted:

Can Richard add huge license fees after the fact?

There wasn't a written agreement for him to retain access to user data, makes me wonder if there's an actual agreement for licensing the software and whose rear end will get bitten by there not being one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Actually Hooli gobbling up piper chat probably gives them the chance to renegotiate the 'licensing fee'. Just like Richard giving the license to them for free was informal. The user base is now folded into hooli chat but if they want the good compression they'll have to pay.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah what I was getting at is that there was no formal agreement. Hooli's lawyer could just make the argument that Richard developed the compression algorithm as an employee (CEO but still employee) of Piped Piper, and then relinquished control of it when he quit. I thought they were making it very clear that the fact that there was an "agreement" but no formal contract was a very important thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If Richard has to license his own algorithm from Hooli, that's hosed.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Joke for joke, the funniest episode of the show after "Let Blaine Die".

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I loving lost it during that octopus scene. God, the way Erlich just shakes his head, stares off into the distance, and lets out a quiet "no."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nice thread title change.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

I loving lost it during that octopus scene. God, the way Erlich just shakes his head, stares off into the distance, and lets out a quiet "no."

i was waiting for him to go "mother gently caress!".

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I guess the next problem is going to be another slap fight about who owns Pied Piper IP. Hooli might be able to shelter and pay the fine

21 billion dollars? Could even Google manage that?

I was expecting Barker to oust Gavin last season, maybe it will happen now.

priznat posted:

Erlich's constant frustration at Jian Yang is entertaining as hell to me. Especially when Jian Yang keeps getting the better of him.

That and Gavin's insanity are probably my favorite parts of the show. Certainly way more fun to watch than Richard.

"Octopus?"
"It's a water animal!"

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 1, 2017

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jin Yiang will end up buying Pied Piper with all the money he makes from his octopus app

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jin Yiang has to become super rich off the octopus app. There's going to be some kind of octopus culinary craze and everyone is going to go nuts off the recipes he got from his grandma or whatever. Erlich will get rich off his 10% and then lose it somehow because of Piperchat or Richard's thing.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Every other episode should have a drat focus group scene, that dude is on point with his character.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Beating the dead horse by pointing out that Hooli only owns the chat, not the algorithm.

The legal basis of the IP infringement was the claim Piperchat "stole" the main parts of Hoolichat. Gavin didn't specifically demand the algorithm. It's been over two weeks in-universe and the terms of Richard leaving the company might have already been made public.

Also, this whole show owns.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 2, 2017

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I gotta say, I'm a little frustrated that they're back to nothing. It's been three years of 1 step forward, 2 steps back, and I don't know how thrilled I am that we're back to square 1, genius coders with no funding. If they go back into the same IP ownership bullshit with Gavin Belson from seasons 1 and 2, it's gonna have to be hilarious to keep me watching.

I'm not sure why you think the show would turn into Ballers once they're actually successful, there'd be plenty of material in having to run a successful startup and manage talent and egos and Silicon Valley weirdness, we even got to see a bit of it when they were running the startup out of Ehrlich's house. I posted not too long ago that I thought we'd see an inversion of the pilot episode by now, where Richard is the one throwing a big lavish party for his grand opening and inviting all these uncomfortable engineers and having to go up on stage and give the same kind of awkward speech filled with tech buzzwords. I don't know why they're rehashing the same plot beats when there's a lot more interesting stuff they could be doing.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 2, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Avasculous posted:

They had like $75 billion in cash on hand last fall.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Large corporations never have to pay out fines that big. They settle with the government for pennies (or often fractions thereof) on the dollar because the private sector has better lawyers and lobbyists.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Kinda surprised Dinesh wasn't rockin a big gold chain with that blazer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

Kinda surprised Dinesh wasn't rockin a big gold chain with that blazer.

He's Pakistani...not *Persian*. If he were the latter he'd have immediately bought a white BMW on credit.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

They're not back to nothing, they have the algorithm that Jack is all over and the new internet thing. I think the licensing ideas could keep that going as funding for either their mesh internet or a totally new thing.

For example, how many octopus recipes could you have with that kind of compression. 80, 88, 800?! 888?!!!

Edit: I mean it's pretty obvious that the Jack Barker storyline has something to do with licensing or perhaps otherwise owning the tech. The Piper Chat license could end up being used all over Hooli, as a good deal for the guys (IBM) or a shitwreck (Hooli now has unlimited use for free).

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do we know what the structure of everything is? Is the company now Piperchat? Or is it still Pied Piper that owns Piperchat as well as the compression algorithm? If Gavin only took Piperchat, that probably wouldn't give him the algorithm.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

SLOSifl posted:

They're not back to nothing, they have the algorithm that Jack is all over and the new internet thing. I think the licensing ideas could keep that going as funding for either their mesh internet or a totally new thing.

For example, how many octopus recipes could you have with that kind of compression. 80, 88, 800?! 888?!!!

That's exactly where they were at the start of the show -- they had Richard's compression algorithm and they were trying to get it funded and worrying about Gavin Belson claiming the IP.

I also think the octopus recipes app was kind of a missed note. It was funny, but it wasn't really plausible. Why would that guy be excited to hear Jin Yiang's pitch about an app with octopus recipes? Why would Jin Yiang come up with it in the first place? An app that contains 8 recipes is a middle-aged housewife's first project after taking a course at the library -- even if Jin Yiang's weird and out-of-touch, he'd at least be doing something more interesting than that. I'm surprised they didn't stretch themselves to come up with an equally-ludicrous app that at least made sense, like Bighead's erect nipple detector app from the first season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It might be the VC or whatever thought it was more than just 8 octopus recipes.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Was the pedo in the focus group Tim Roth?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Phenotype posted:

That's exactly where they were at the start of the show -- they had Richard's compression algorithm and they were trying to get it funded and worrying about Gavin Belson claiming the IP.
Maybe it's because I work for a company in the Silicon Valley into but this is actually a point for accuracy for me. In fact the entire show in my opinion is not a parody at all. :smith:

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I'm confused about Jack's idea for using Piper compression.
Isn't that what Jared proposed way back in the beginning when he worked for Hooli? I remember him saying something to Gavin about app developers always wanting things to be consumer-facing and missing the big picture about how much cash they could make if they developed it as a back-end for other programs (or something like that). Isn't Jack's idea the same thing or is it different?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Phenotype posted:

I also think the octopus recipes app was kind of a missed note. It was funny, but it wasn't really plausible. Why would that guy be excited to hear Jin Yiang's pitch about an app with octopus recipes? Why would Jin Yiang come up with it in the first place? An app that contains 8 recipes is a middle-aged housewife's first project after taking a course at the library -- even if Jin Yiang's weird and out-of-touch, he'd at least be doing something more interesting than that. I'm surprised they didn't stretch themselves to come up with an equally-ludicrous app that at least made sense, like Bighead's erect nipple detector app from the first season.

I've read that it's (intentionally) difficult to do business in China without a Chinese business partner. They could want an 'in' on cooking apps.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He's Pakistani...not *Persian*. If he were the latter he'd have immediately bought a white BMW on credit.

Callback to the gold chain he used to wear and got mocked mercilessly for!

I work with a bunch of persian dudes in tech and that is pretty accurate tho.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I couldn't give less of a poo poo whether the Pied Piper gang constantly starts back at square 1 or whether they become successful at some point, so long as the show remains hilarious.

SLOSifl posted:

Maybe it's because I work for a company in the Silicon Valley into but this is actually a point for accuracy for me. In fact the entire show in my opinion is not a parody at all. :smith:
That's the mark of a good Mike Judge work- bizarre enough to be funny as hell, but relateable enough to be dead-on accurate about the culture it's portraying.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Avasculous posted:

I was expecting Barker to oust Gavin last season, maybe it will happen now.

That and Gavin's insanity are probably my favorite parts of the show. Certainly way more fun to watch than Richard.

"Octopus?"
"It's a water animal!"
For reference:
https://apple.slashdot.org/story/17/05/01/2119215/apple-has-a-record-250-billion-in-cash-90-of-it-is-banked-overseas

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

get that OUT of my face posted:

That's the mark of a good Mike Judge work- bizarre enough to be funny as hell, but relateable enough to be dead-on accurate about the culture it's portraying.
He's great. I lived in Austin for a while and knew some guys that worked in buildings next to Initech or whatever it was called.

Last year I was at our company's big conference and the branding would probably read as unrealistic if used on Silicon Valley. Keynotes Gavin Belson would fit into seamlessly.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Cojawfee posted:

It might be the VC or whatever thought it was more than just 8 octopus recipes.

What like 9? We need to keep some suspension of disbelief here, it can't be total sci-fi.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I love that they know how to take Gavin Belson's hubris and make it so satisfying to watch, even after four seasons of it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gavin is loving amazing.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Odds we get a scene of Gavin's wig falling off sometime this season?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

FuriousxGeorge posted:

What like 9? We need to keep some suspension of disbelief here, it can't be total sci-fi.

The VC, or Bachman for that matter, weren't exited to hear about an octopus recipe app. They wanted to hear about a VR app, which Bachman thought Jin-Yang's app was. It wasn't until they were already in the office waiting room that Bachman worked out a deal with Jin-Yang and found out what the app he was working on actually was. Jin-Yang was just happy to have gotten someone to pay attention to what he was working on, and more importantly, the opportunity to rip off Bachman again and get another year in the house rent free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Jian Yang's pronunciation isn't that bad, I don't really believe the VC thinks he has an Oculus app. Even if they did, "eight Oculus recipes" doesn't make any sense. Bighead only thought so because he's kinda stupid and wasn't really paying attention. However it still doesn't explain why the VCs are meeting with him. I think Jian Yang is much much smarter than he lets on to Erlich and is totally playing him, possibly with an actual good app idea in his back pocket to be revealed at the right time. That may be how he got the VC meeting but that's total speculation.

I was sad we didn't get a "mother gently caress" out of Erlich at any point. Every time he says it he gives a different line reading and it's a brilliant running gag.

• Locked thread