Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Current Era

2012 - Sato-san

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFIc6RJKGU
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLX3OCmweO0
Winner: Dario Franchitti - Ganassi Racing - Dallara/Honda

2013 - The Fan Favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8v-X6S4wlU
Winner: Tony Kanaan - KV Racing - Dallara/Chevy
(worth watching all 20 laps if youve got the time)

2014 - The Yellow Car Party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeREa0HUrXY
Winner: Ryan Hunter-Reay - Andretti Autosport - Dallara/Honda

2015 - The Drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYKUKXT520&t=10656s
Winner: Juan Pablo Montoya - Team Penske - Dallara/Chevy (engine and aero)
(really, just reset the timestamp and watch the whole drat race. Montoya's drive in this race is just incredible)

2016 - The Miracle, "Clutch and Coast!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7BZrwSLSZE
Winner: Alexander Rossi - Andretti/Herta Autosport - Dallara/Honda (engine and aero)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Paging IOC and Bentai

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/140089-miller-indycar-s-desert-debacle

quote:

If the IndyCar paddock could send a message to the few thousand souls who showed up at Phoenix International Raceway or the people trying to watch Saturday night's race on NBCSN, it would be brief and heartfelt:

We're sorry.

"They should refund everyone's money," one prominent driver said afterward.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah it was a Bad Race, I even considered leaving early to try and beat traffic. The USAC silver crown race was more exciting; poo poo the USAC quarter-midget races held in the drat fan pavilion put on a better show too. :(

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

wicka posted:

Didn't hear the atheist stuff but I thought his ex-wife (Brook?) was the reason he became religious.

Brooke was the reason for the super Christian part and I do remember the video about being Christian and married. Though according to Gordon's book he is "spiritual" blending all sorts of teachings and stuff so yeah he is not atheist but not the Uber Christian that he was.

Also wooo it's May!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's the thing. I can't see any other major series coming out and going "... we're sorry for that lovely race. You guys deserve better :smith:"

I was looking at RA tickets and they have garage access FOR FREE. The Xfinity races you have to pay for that poo poo, and it's Saturday only. Keep on keeping on, Indy.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

"Hey last year the leader couldn't pass lapped cars cause of all the dirty air better add more downforce"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A bad race at PIR still beats a good day in the office.

dentist toy box posted:

"Hey last year the leader couldn't pass lapped cars cause of all the dirty air better add more downforce"

Read the article - they didn't actually make the changes:

quote:

And Ryan Hunter-Reay felt like it was a success. "We tested different downforce configurations while running together and we found a solution," the 2014 Indianapolis 500 winner said.
The eye of the storm, according to the drivers and teams, was the undertray on the Dallara DW12. Running one without a hole in it allowed the cars to get closer and make passing possible. (And the hole in the under tray is to keep the cars on the ground if they spin and go backward on a superspeedway).
Hunter-Reay lobbied hard for IndyCar to change, but because all of the teams would have had to spend money to fill in the hole, it was decided to remain with the status quo until the new aero kits arrive in 2018.

That said, best parts of the article:

quote:

There is one year left on the Phoenix contract.
"I think the fans deserve a better show than we gave them," said Tony Kanaan. "I hope they give us another chance."

I will always give you another chance, TK. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT9JtACUZuI

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

iospace posted:

Here's the thing. I can't see any other major series coming out and going "... we're sorry for that lovely race. You guys deserve better :smith:"

I was looking at RA tickets and they have garage access FOR FREE. The Xfinity races you have to pay for that poo poo, and it's Saturday only. Keep on keeping on, Indy.

That's everything at RA and another reason why that track rules

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do you maybe think powerful open wheel cars just aren't suited to the short ovals anymore? And by "anymore" I mean since at least the late 80s. Even the older races I've been watching (90s) the short ovals produced pretty bad racing it must be said.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Do you maybe think powerful open wheel cars just aren't suited to the short ovals anymore? And by "anymore" I mean since at least the late 80s. Even the older races I've been watching (90s) the short ovals produced pretty bad racing it must be said.

Iowa has had some solid races. As has Milwaukee at some points. I mean we've seen some yawners at Texas, Pocono and Fontana in recent years.

I think it's manageable but IndyCar proper just has to figure out packages for the different forms of oval racing (Short track >1, Speedway >1.5, Super Speedway >2.)

e: IIRC? Phoenix during the diet CARY years (03-05) had Tony Kanaan driving like a freak and able to pass.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I didn't think the racing was that much better back when PT and Emmo both lapped the entire field before trashing their cars in succession in '93.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
THe early 90s racing was mainly exciting because of the massive speed differentials between the top cars and backmarkers meaning lapped traffic was like constant.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I didn't think the racing was that much better back when PT and Emmo both lapped the entire field before trashing their cars in succession in '93.

And yet that race was a classic. Makes you think

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I know it's a dumbass troll argument, but I'm struggling to think of how to even solve the criticism that I've seen Fryer, Trackforum types bring up. (gently caress Crankshaft btw.)

What I mean is the "INDY 500 IS THE ONLY BIG EVENT ON THE CALENDAR AND THUS IS HURTING INDYCAR" argument. When an event like Long Beach is brought up? The goal posts are moved to discuss television ratings and thus there is no pleasing them.

They thing bring up how NASCAR has all these big events from a prestige, and television stand point.

I don't understand what sort of event you could have to 'rival" the "500" on the calendar, and why this is supposedly a recent problem in dire need of fixing at this point.

Why is this argument always made?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The only event that rivals the Indy 500 for NASCAR is the Daytona 500. No other event has the prestige behind it on that schedule.

It's telling that the Coke 600 has always been scheduled in the evening. Maybe it's because of another race that same day...

Nah, couldn't be.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 600 was in the day for years before they put lights in at Charlotte.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

The only event that rivals the Indy 500 for NASCAR is the Daytona 500. No other event has the prestige behind it on that schedule.

It's telling that the Coke 600 has always been scheduled in the evening. Maybe it's because of another race that same day...

Nah, couldn't be.

I mean there's not much you can really do to replicate the Indy 500. (In terms of attracting both the casual and hardcore fan).
CART tried it with the "US 500" going head to head and such. It didn't work. I mean the "Triple Crown" races are bad rear end, and I like them. But no one thinks of "Michigan", "Fontana", "Ontario" or "Pocono" in the same breathe as Indianapolis.

Maybe if USAC//AAA had saved the original Vanderbilt Cup races? But that's about it. Even that wouldn't have the impact that the Indy 500 has on popular culture. Something it's had since the first race or so.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

It also may have a little to do with the fact that aside from the 500, winner's purses are loving abysmal. poo poo, winners in Super Formula get more prize money.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

It also may have a little to do with the fact that aside from the 500, winner's purses are loving abysmal. poo poo, winners in Super Formula get more prize money.

This was true even during CART's glory days if "racing reference" is to be believed.

Outside of winning the Indianapolis 500 or the National Championship? The only" big purse" races that CART had were the Marlboro Challenge and the Michigan 500 IIRC.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why is this argument always made?

Because my favorite form of motorsport is better than your favorite form of motorsport.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think the issue is, through the Split and the down times, the calendar turned over so much that there aren't as many "traditional" or "classic" races just because there hasn't been as much consistency. Long Beach is a traditional race and an important race in the calendar partially because it's been there now 30-plus years. There aren't as much races with such consistency on the calendar. Texas, possibly, but few other rounds are as prestigious in IndyCar as the 500 and Long Beach.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hell, it's called Indy car racing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Once again, Birdbrain demonstrates how firmly he and the rest of the "American" Open-Wheel Racing Eloi have their elbows on the pulse of racing world.

The problem at Phoenix is the same as any track with a lap speed over 100 MPH: Wake turbulence off the car ahead makes it impossible for the car coming up behind to pass. Wiping out 1/4 of the field on Lap 1 doesn't help (see next).

The problem with attendance is: There are no actual Americans in the series -- just a bunch of F1 Has-Beens and Never-Will-Bes. Nowhere was this more clearly shown than last year's 500, which was won by an "American" who has *zero* American racing credentials -- a third-string driver from a fourth-rate F1 team. And when those drivers can't even get through the first turn of a mile oval (Mr. Aleshin), or indeed the first lap of *every* race this season, well, one does start to question why the "American" series is overrun with F1 Has-Beens and Never-Will-Bes, while actual American Open-Wheel Racers can't get the time of day from the team owners.

But then, IndyCART is repeating the same action of the Failed Racing Series, and expecting a different result. Just goes to show: Tony George didn't go far enough in purging the European cancer from the series -- and now "American" OPen-Wheel Racing is dying again. Go figure that, huh?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nice impression of a trackforum poster.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I don't think nationalism has anything to do with it. But you do you I guess

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

Hahaha. That's insanely dead on too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gret posted:

If i had to guess, I'm going to say thats a Racer post.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I feel the venn diagram of people who think indy is not as good because f1 washouts and think f1 is the best in the world is a perfect circle.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All that was missing was a shot at Roger Penske. It would have been the perfect post then.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Ok so tomorrow will be the first time Alonso actually drives the car at IMS.

quote:

A fully produced live show will be televised online from 9:30 a.m.-noon, with an announcing team of 1969 Indianapolis 500 winner and 1978 Formula One World Champion Mario Andretti and NBC Sports Network's Verizon IndyCar Series talent Kevin Lee and Robin Miller. Coverage of the test will continue from 1-5 p.m. with a live stream without commentary.

YouTube link to watch tomorrow

Just the thought of Mario Andretti & Robin Miller commentating will be amazing

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Isn't the weather supposed to be pretty bad tomorrow? Like cold, wind, and possibly rain?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Is it going to be Alonso only or are the other rookies/refreshers/one-offs invited like Harding Racing?

Thats a comical amount of coverage for one car running intermittently at Indy.

Speaking of testing coverage, feed is up for the test at Gateway today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTDGFrqVWME

Cygni fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 2, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
It's great that all of these tests are being livestreamed. I don't remember having this much Indycar coverage in such a short span of time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
John Andretti has Colon cancer. Seems like it's severe too...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully next years aero will have a good balance for short oval, speedway, and RC/SC. I hope Gateway doesn't suffer like Phoenix did.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

John Andretti has Colon cancer. Seems like it's severe too...

Yeah...
https://twitter.com/John_Andretti/status/859386307046408193
Put up a fight, John

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

also, gateway testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTDGFrqVWME

e: :argh:

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 2, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Remember to get your butthole scoped, friends.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Stage 4A. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hildebrand slapped the wall.

• Locked thread