Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

OldAlias posted:

got a link? not sure where it is

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
my current work did iq tests but no technical tests lol

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

cis autodrag posted:

one thing i really appreciated with this apple interview was that the question had an obvious and correct answer (p much "there's a finite unchanging set of states, a simple switch or set of if-thens would be readable and perform fine") and the interviewer and i agreed basically instantly. then he asked me to just see if i could come up with a more "problem-y" way to do it which made me super comfortable because now it wasn't about proving i could program but about thinking of the most heinous code i could for fun (which is something i love to do if you read my tp thread posts at all). basically all that time i spend at work reimplementing simple problems over and over until i have the most obtuse possible solution came in handy and i felt right in my zone.

something about the way he just accepted my basic proficiency at face value and then let me have fun with the problem really put me at ease.

You'd be surprised how many people would talk a good talk, and when it comes time to demonstrate any proficiency, write an n^2 loop and give you a blank stare when you ask if there's any potential performance problems.

It's a major relief to have someone who understands what they are doing. Not that they're a god, but "hey maybe I can explain what the hell I just did, and it's not stream of consciousness keyboard vomit"

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 30, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

i wish we could just talk about the stuff we've done like literally every other field instead of taking stupid quizzes

at least it's better than the mid-00s when all of that "interview 2.0" poo poo was in full swing everywhere and even people applying for menial jobs were getting grilled on "if you filled the super dome with water and dropped in a 747 filled with golfballs how much would the water level rise? please be precise to the millimeter."

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

next time I interview someone I, gong to give them a fully solved algorithm and ask them to introduce the subtlest bug they possibly can

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Just ask the candidate to draw a map in two minutes that takes a minute to solve, OP

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
apple wants me to come out for an onsite! now we find out new ways for me to embarrass myself in technical interviews. also i need to find dates i can conceivably attribute to family events.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nice. uh, your aunt is suddenly very sick, you will have to go see her in California.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Gotta go visit uncle timb

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress take-home coding tests that have you re-implementing known systems, this is stupid, you can use Grafana to do a better job than my halfass CLI thing, gently caress.

thankfully that was two weeks ago, I already got my 6.something figgies offer and peaced out of my current company.

current place wants an exit interview, but lol you're in the boston market and not offering a 401k, because "no other company of our size does this" (~1k people), your insurance premiums have gotten complicated and went way up, and you think that you can get away with getting people to do devops work for under 80k. In Boston. And you're wondering why literally anybody with half a brain has been slowly hopping off this train over the past year and a half.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a good 401k setup should be right behind decent health insurance in the "how to retain actual goddamn adults at your company" playbook

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

perks children care about:
- ping pong table
- free food
- happy hours
- branded hoodies

things adults like:
- retirement benefits
- flex time/remote work
- low copays
- babby leave

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
note: promise of an IPO next year, no really guiz, is not a retaining factor to anybody who isn't functionally retarded.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

perks children care about :
- ping pong table
- free food
- happy hours
- branded hoodies

- "unlimited" vacation time
- collaborative open floor plan

quote:

things adults like:
- retirement benefits
- flex time/remote work
- low copays
- babby leave

- actual company obligated vacation time
- quiet office

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

qirex posted:

- ping pong table
- free food
- happy hours
- branded hoodies

things adults like:
- retirement benefits
- flex time/remote work
- low copays
- babby leave

free food every day is something like $2000 over a year. way better than ping pong tables or hoodies.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

- ping pong table
- free food
- happy hours
- branded hoodies

things adults like:
- retirement benefits
- flex time/remote work
- low copays
- babby leave

the perks children care about are a lot cheaper to provide

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

leper khan posted:

free food every day is something like $2000 over a year. way better than ping pong tables or hoodies.
the purpose of free food is to keep you from leaving the office at lunchtime so youll hang around and do more work and talk with your coworkers

its about crowding out your (legally mandated!) personal time in favor of work time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

leper khan posted:

sure but I'd much rather have 2 grand more in salary or 401k match

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
reminder to everyone to max out their 401k match

like why the gently caress is this even an option, "how much do you want to contribute? we'll match up to 4%!"

if I was king poo poo of the corporation I'd order hr to fire anyone stupid enough to contribute less than the maximum match because I don't want idiots working for me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FrozenVent posted:

like why the gently caress is this even an option, "how much do you want to contribute? we'll match up to 4%!"

if I was king poo poo of the corporation I'd order hr to fire anyone stupid enough to contribute less than the maximum match because I don't want idiots working for me
its literally free money

like every article aimed at dumb people to try and get them to improve their personal finances always starts with "max your 401k match" and "pay down your high apr credit cards" as tips #1 and #2

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

if you were king poo poo of the corporation you could just give all your employees x% whether or not they put anything in themselves :unsmith:

my last employer used to just dump 1-2% in as "profit sharing" every spring it was really nice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
being a 401k fund manager has got to be the sweetest racket in existence

"so every year i get given a gigantic pile of money that i can skim 4% off the top of and i can piss away anywhere up to half of that pile every year and people will continue to eagerly shovel money at me? GOD drat *inhales a swiss roll made entirely out of cocaine*"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

FrozenVent posted:

i didn't max out my match my first job out of college because i was, in fact, an idiot. "hurr durr need to pay off my student loans before i start saving for retirement"

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Management posted:

- "unlimited" vacation time
- collaborative open floor plan

- actual company obligated vacation time
- quiet office

i was real worried newjob was going to be an "unlimited" vacation place but nope, actual vacation time and paid sick days on top. i might finally be working for/with grownups??

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my last employer just told you your salary then mandated that they reduce it by x% and then they contributed x% + 2*x% to the 401k which means that as the employee you legally contributed 0 dollars to retirement accounts and it can help you weasel under the roth ira salary limits since a huge portion of their employees were salaried right around that line

employers assisting employees in exploiting tax loopholes are a good benefit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

my last employer just told you your salary then mandated that they reduce it by x% and then they contributed x% + 2*x% to the 401k which means that as the employee you legally contributed 0 dollars to retirement accounts and it can help you weasel under the roth ira salary limits since a huge portion of their employees were salaried right around that line

employers assisting employees in exploiting tax loopholes are a good benefit

does it have to be percentages or can they just cut a check for $19500 (or whatever it is this year) at that point?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its pitched as "5% with 2:1 matching" (and a 5 year vest on half of the match)

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

yeah it was comically bad. I wrote a bunch of if statements testing equally with = instead ==.

[ASK] Me about trying to write code in any reasonable language when most of my time is spent in Excel macros.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

you can use an Excel sheet as an ADO source to do the real work in a real language and just poo poo it back out into the sheet to make the marketing VP happy

I like to think of it as a Pittsburgh database

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
SSIS is great for dumb excel poo poo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
= is comparison in most of the languages i use based on context. it's poison.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I'm working for one of the rare places that grants unlimited vacation and gives you a funny look if you don't take PTO every quarter it's great

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm working for one of the rare places that grants unlimited vacation and gives you a funny look if you don't take PTO every quarter it's great

same. it's so drat weird. "are you taking enough time off this month? go schedule some more time off. it's nice outside, leave work early and ride your bike."

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rex-Goliath posted:

i hope i'm not falling for a trap at an unlimited vacation place where the team i'm joining took an average of 7 weeks off last year

i'd be calling bullshit, but i've got a man on the inside who has been there 5 months, taken 5 weeks of vacation in that time, and the VP and director were telling me how much they like him

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Twerk from Home posted:

i hope i'm not falling for a trap at an unlimited vacation place where the team i'm joining took an average of 7 weeks off last year

i'd be calling bullshit, but i've got a man on the inside who has been there 5 months, taken 5 weeks of vacation in that time, and the VP and director were telling me how much they like him

yeah unfortunately there's no real way to tell until you're in. i was really pensive when i first signed up here but it wound up exceeding my expectations. i guess my rule of thumb now is to judge if the rest of the company culture / bennies jives with the pto. if it does then it's probably for real

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I asked how many weeks developers typically take off per year at my last interview with an "unlimited" company and the response was "generally we don't take off weeks, just long weekends". Probably for the best I didn't get an offer from there.

Shaggar posted:

SSIS is great for dumb excel poo poo

We had a fresh out of uni guy recently who's solution to literally any database concern was to talk about building an SSIS package. It was a super weird thing to work around.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so, uh, what is an on site interview like at a non dysfunctional company? here it was even more tests, a bunch of bragging about the facilities and then am awkward one on one with a member of each team you were interviewing with.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Iverron posted:

I asked how many weeks developers typically take off per year at my last interview with an "unlimited" company and the response was "generally we don't take off weeks, just long weekends". Probably for the best I didn't get an offer from there.

We had a fresh out of uni guy recently who's solution to literally any database concern was to talk about building an SSIS package. It was a super weird thing to work around.

ssis is really fuckin good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

so, uh, what is an on site interview like at a non dysfunctional company? here it was even more tests, a bunch of bragging about the facilities and then am awkward one on one with a member of each team you were interviewing with.

they're going to put you in an interview room. one or two interviewers at a time for 30-60 minutes are going to ask you technical and coding questions. they'll take you to lunch. it'll be a long day.

• Locked thread