Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nobody's arguing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Who are we piling on? I'm in

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I, for one, want to know more about the erotic breathing anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna guess it was Kofuku Graffitti

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kofuku graffiti was both fanservice and moe, and also set feminism back 70 years when a girl liked cooking

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
what recent anime has advanced feminism?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DisDisDis posted:

Keijo!!!!!!!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Yurik-

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

Let me consult the history books.

ROD the TV
Gundam Wing

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 2, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it's Keijo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

kofuku graffiti was both fanservice and moe, and also set feminism back 70 years when a girl liked cooking

hosed up that kira kira precure is secretly the most regressive anime ever made

DisDisDis posted:

re:cutie honey

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Flip Flappers?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sound euphonium and yuri on ice

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also Maid Dragon (usually).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cross ange

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
symphogear

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, a serious answer to this question: I think the shows (recent ones) that have most advanced feminism so far are the ones that promote female friendships, not being catty to each other, and generally saying that girls can be powerful, cool, and have friends without having to tear each other apart.

And so: Keijo (to my surprise) fits this bill....

but the real winner here is the Precure franchise, as it's founded on "girls can be friends and be cool and still be girly" without any of the sex stuff or fetish stuff or anything. It's real good, even if I don't personally like Precure. (Too silly for me / I'm too devoted to Sailor Moon)

And of course, obligatory shout-out to Sailor Moon, which is like, feminism 101: you can be cool, awesome, wear a short skirt and own it, you can have a boyfriend but you can care about your girlfriends too, and if you're strong enough your friends will be there for you - and you'll eventually become literal queen of the universe.

Basically it's one of the most empowering things I've ever seen and I love it to bits and pieces.

**Note that Sailor Moon Crystal does not apply here because it's terrible and pushes the "I will die for this boy I met three weeks ago" which is just unhealthy.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also Maid Dragon (usually).

And only if you don't watch the dub.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

what a loss

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

In the final episode every line ends with "But I'm not gay."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
symphogear and re:cutie honey perfectly fit this bill and i mention them both unironically

re:cutie honey is literally an ova about a tough police lady who caries piles of guns everywhere slowly realizing she is gay for a naive magical woman and helping her work through lots of crazy personal poo poo and all the dudes in the ova are either played for huge dunces or have virtually no relevance to anything. it's a completely different story from the original material, both the manga and the anime, and it is leagues better for it. because even if the first half of the original 70s series has a lot of fun bits, it is, not as good of a story

(literally everything this character does in the last episode of the ova is insanely badass and fun to watch)

symphogear is like this but with less police ladies and 100x more and written by a guy who used to write badass jrpgs for the ps1

also, yama no susume, which is just an entire show about the relationship between a couple of teenage girls who go mountain climbing together

all of these things are incredibly good please watch all of them

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 2, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Grimoire of Zero

Waste of an episode that became interesting in the last 15 seconds.

You've only got 12 episodes. We get it- Zero was sheltered, and Youhei is a good guy and Albus just misunderstood the way that magic actually worked.

Now... advance the loving plot, already... or, at very least, introduce it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I, for one, want to know more about the erotic breathing anime

It was chuu2

kater
Nov 16, 2010

what was that one show about fancy color parade dancing? the last episode of hyouka was about it but then there was also a nice looking show about it entirely.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Did someone say YOSAKOI?!?!

the anime is Hanayamata, and it's absolutely a pretty and colorful show

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Beaten by Space in the time it took to dredge up the name from my memory

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

*in extremely unironic voice* wixoss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, a serious answer to this question: I think the shows (recent ones) that have most advanced feminism so far are the ones that promote female friendships, not being catty to each other, and generally saying that girls can be powerful, cool, and have friends without having to tear each other apart.

And so: Keijo (to my surprise) fits this bill....

but the real winner here is the Precure franchise, as it's founded on "girls can be friends and be cool and still be girly" without any of the sex stuff or fetish stuff or anything. It's real good, even if I don't personally like Precure. (Too silly for me / I'm too devoted to Sailor Moon)

And of course, obligatory shout-out to Sailor Moon, which is like, feminism 101: you can be cool, awesome, wear a short skirt and own it, you can have a boyfriend but you can care about your girlfriends too, and if you're strong enough your friends will be there for you - and you'll eventually become literal queen of the universe.

Basically it's one of the most empowering things I've ever seen and I love it to bits and pieces.
a lot of japanese feminists hate precure and sailor moon lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

a lot of japanese feminists hate precure and sailor moon lol

I am genuinely curious as to why. I expect it's the cultural differences - Americans love Asuka, Japanese folk love Rei - but if there's more to it than that broad generalization I'd love to hear it!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is a very broad generalization based off two ten-minute long conversations with two random japanese women, one of whom was drunk and eating a burrito, so this is almost entirely guesswork and assumptions, please read a book if you want to learn something, because I sure haven't but I want to some day, but: the basic gist is that japanese feminism's struggle isn't 'to prove women are strong and capable,' it's to 'prove women can be who they choose to be.' look how many japanese period dramas and stuff have a woman showing quiet strength or the housewife of a samurai who fucks up a guy trying to break into her house while her husband is away, or whatever. Women don't need to be proven strong, they need to prove they can show that strength in ways outside of those traditional roles.

Basically, Japanese feminism isn't wonder woman, it's a lady in a kayak shaped like her vagina yelling at the cops. It's transgression and a desire to be completely unbound by the rules and norms of society, not a desire to have those norms validate and support their strength.

PreCure and Sailor Moon kind of slot into what a lot of them disagree with - the precures and sailor moon are strong, yes, but they're also all in the exact same, feminine outfit (or similar outfits) and express themselves in very similar ways - they might have different personalities or different career paths, but there's romantic intrigue with a guy, a lot of cuteness and sometimes shyness to their personalities, so on. The main five of Sailor Moon all have very different personalities, but they're also very feminine personalities. Rei is like a strict mother, Minako is flirty and bubbly, Ami is intelligent and somewhat awkward, Makoto loves to cook, Usagi is sweet but clumsy. Basically, you can imagine them all as moms, or little sisters, or girlfriends, or some other feminine role. This is obviously a pretty reductive (and kind of weird) thing to say but it's not untrue. Look at Itsuki in Heartcatch Precure, too - she wears a male uniform, but she doesn't want to! And her transformed outfit is the girliest and most revealing of the four. And her entire arc is about learning to be cute. All their 'masculine' traits are undercut or even excused by feminine traits or desires. Makoto is ashamed of her height, that kind of thing. They might be strong, but they're strong in a way that doesn't necessarily rock the boat or challenge norms. Haruka's one thing, but Haruka's also constantly made weird asides for in the original manga and she isn't really presented as one of the main protagonists or even all that heroic or admirable (again, in the original manga.)

The whole 'strong AND cute' thing is basically the opposite of what they want, in other words. They don't want a woman's strength to be associated with her femininity or purity. See: how many times in Sailor Moon (even the anime, this time!) where Usagi is hit on by someone who isn't her Designated Boyfriend and there's this weird subtext where the show reacts to it like it's a threat to her continued heroism or worth, and not just someone who isn't Mamoru hitting on her. Sailor Moon is strong and admirable because she is a pure young woman, she isn't a strong person who happens to be a pure young woman.

I don't necessarily agree with, uh, much of that, but I can see the argument.

this is also why a lot of western analysis of anime 'sexism,' ie: rating based on how much skin an outfit shows is pretty dumb. Not that sexy boatgirls with huge titties are feminist or anything, but a sexualized design can be seen as a powerful statement in certain contexts - she has power over herself, she isn't restraining herself for anything. see: the woman called fujiko mine, which has a lot of cheesecake and was also beloved by lesbians in their late 20s/early 30s. and while the 'japanese feminists LOVED kill la kill' thing from back when that was airing is pretty made up, there wasn't much of the Discourse around it that you saw in the west.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
now let's talk about the original cutie honey anime where honey's girlfriend dies half way through and she becomes emotionally dependent on the dude

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Neat. Thanks, Endorph. Different cultures are weird, but cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

now let's talk about the original cutie honey anime where honey's girlfriend dies half way through and she becomes emotionally dependent on the dude
can we talk about wixoss instead

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph, thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for, and it's fascinating.

I disagree with a lot of it mostly because I'm from the American feminism where it's not "I am as strong as a man", it's that I can take strength from being girly and feminine, which is kind of what you're forbidden from taking strength in here in America. Show up as a bubbly cheerleader in pink clothes and you will be dismissed unless you happen to be mega-rich/have "masculine" influence that proves that despite your looks, you can run with the alpha males. (Not to mention that to succeed as a masculine girl you have to be as tough - see Aliens, honestly.) I see Sailor Moon as going "you can be awesome and feminine without having to become male in your manner to have that power" which is incredible to me? (Not to mention that American cartoons love to have the femme fatale / manipulative woman as a figure who isn't feminist, but vile, and it's hard to reclaim that? Kind of?) ... but ah, I'm kind of rambling, sorry.

Anyways, I see where they're coming from! I don't agree with it but that's different cultures for you, which is one of the benefits of watching media from a foreign culture. (Kamen Rider Ex-Aid hit me full in the face the other day where a doctor wasn't going to treat a criminal because he was a criminal, and according to my American morals I was going "No! You treat the man and THEN hand him to the justice system! You are not his executioner!" -- but also to be fair to Ex-Aid it's hard to tell if it's pushing things for drama or not, so idk.)

Thank you again!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think both forms are cool and while i don't agree about the characters in sailor moon, i agree that the way heartcatch treats itsuki is pretty weird coming from that kind of perspective and changes the way i view her entire character and the way sailor moon handles guys hitting on usagi that way is deffo the weirdest part

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Also, I'm glad Japanese lesbians loved Fujiko Mine

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

:same: and :yeah:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Echoing the appreciation for the effortpost.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyways, I see where they're coming from! I don't agree with it but that's different cultures for you, which is one of the benefits of watching media from a foreign culture. (Kamen Rider Ex-Aid hit me full in the face the other day where a doctor wasn't going to treat a criminal because he was a criminal, and according to my American morals I was going "No! You treat the man and THEN hand him to the justice system! You are not his executioner!" -- but also to be fair to Ex-Aid it's hard to tell if it's pushing things for drama or not, so idk.)

Thank you again!

Hmm, how does that apply to Monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Echoing the appreciation for the effortpost.

• Locked thread