Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a major cop-out, but SG-1 at least had the hand-wavy excuse of all the little human societies evolving from a common language base and culture. Even if out by 10,000 -odd years. Granted, most languages should've changed wildly among the individual planets in that time, but there's at least a semblance of logic as to why everyone they meet might speak English.

That rings a bell but it still doesn't explain why in the beginning he had to try to figure out the language on every new planet they went to until it just sort of stopped at one point. Which is fine - because it wasn't particularly interesting anymore anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
gently caress, English didn't even exist as far as it's modern form until around Shakespears time.

Olde~ English might as well be another language

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

powerful sex moves posted:

That rings a bell but it still doesn't explain why in the beginning he had to try to figure out the language on every new planet they went to until it just sort of stopped at one point. Which is fine - because it wasn't particularly interesting anymore anyway.

It's a cop-out, but one you can generally live with because it'd just bog down every goddamn episode otherwise.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

There's an episode where they all end up trapped in some huge industrial site on another planet and their lives become just maintaining the sprawling facility. Then it turns out they're not them, this site actually makes robot copies of people who visit to use for upkeep and their actual meat-selves gated home no problem. They then grapple with not being their "real" selves and actually robot clones who can never leave.

SG-1 has a lot of cool and interesting high-concept episodes and is a fun show.

Tin Man is the robot doubles episode, though your memory has mixed in some aspects of Beneath the Surface: the episode that Workforce completely ripped off, right down to the stoic black alien being dragged away shouting that it's all a lie.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a cop-out, but one you can generally live with because it'd just bog down every goddamn episode otherwise.

And it meant they could revisit the idea and do it justice with the Unas episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Moddington posted:

Tin Man is the robot doubles episode, though your memory has mixed in some aspects of Beneath the Surface: the episode that Workforce completely ripped off, right down to the stoic black alien being dragged away shouting that it's all a lie.

Oh hey, there was an SG-1 episode like this one. It also pre-dates Workforce's air date by about five months, but I don't think that's really long enough to wave fingers and declare rip-off.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Let's not let such petty things like facts get in the way of ribbing on Voyager.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Data has the ability to control his hair length. Yet he's never had a mullet. Live a little Data.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a major cop-out, but ...
This is the worst part AND the best part of Star Trek. The entirety of the Human species getting over all the lovely problems we have is completely washed away by the convenience of alien abundance machines.

WE ALL can imagine a future of human beings escaping capitalism, but none of us know how to get there.

But AT LEAST this giant fuckhead nerd with all his confused concepts of Misogyny and Racism didn't have a loving clue either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

revolther posted:

This is the worst part AND the best part of Star Trek. The entirety of the Human species getting over all the lovely problems we have is completely washed away by the convenience of alien abundance machines.

WE ALL can imagine a future of human beings escaping capitalism, but none of us know how to get there.

But AT LEAST this giant fuckhead nerd with all his confused concepts of Misogyny and Racism didn't have a loving clue either.

One thing I liked with Battlestar Galactica was they also had zero food or water issues due to near-perfect recycling technology... right up until it gets contaminated and then things are royally hosed for the entire fleet.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Johnny Aztec posted:

gently caress, English didn't even exist as far as it's modern form until around Shakespears time.

Olde~ English might as well be another language

I've slogged through all of shakespeares plays and even deigning to dally with motherfucking marlow, that poo poo is not modern english and we dont get that poo poo until the 18th century at least.

middle english is a loving trip too. had to speak only in that for my undergrad chaucer class and could never get my mouth around half the words despite speaking both german and english.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

powerful sex moves posted:

I don't really remember any cultures they came across besides the Gould and Jaffa not speaking English. I think it was something from the movie that they tried to get rid of as quickly as they could, like changing how the Stargates work from having to figure out what symbols you dial based on the night sky of the planet you're on or something to what's basically a phone network.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Emergency command holograms should all be Jellico

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Facetious posted:

Emergency command holograms should all be Jellico

How about a holographic Matt Decker? It'd be easy to program, just have it order the ship into a glorious suicide run against whatever it's up against.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm not really up on my TOS episodes.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I don't think Starfleet officers would welcome a holograph jumping over them in the chain of command. Worse for the sole purpose of ordering them to their deaths.

Now, Klingons being ordered to death by a holograph of Kahless…

e: in the right hands you cloud do some real Jim Jones poo poo.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Automatic Slim posted:

I don't think Starfleet officers would welcome a holograph jumping over them in the chain of command. Worse for the sole purpose of ordering them to their deaths.

Now, Klingons being ordered to death by a holograph of Kahless…

e: in the right hands you cloud do some real Jim Jones poo poo.

Look at it this way: the command crew are dead, the situation is hopeless. Do you want Harry Kim in command, or a suicidal hologram?

naem
May 29, 2011

What if you warped over some holo-emitters to an enemy ship and trapped them in a nightmare zone

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

How about a holographic Matt Decker?

that wouldn't work on any ship that has children on board

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Look at it this way: the command crew are dead, the situation is hopeless. Do you want Harry Kim in command, or a suicidal hologram?

At that point it wouldn't matter. The result would be the same.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Automatic Slim posted:

At that point it wouldn't matter. The result would be the same.

On the way there though you'd get far less mewling and whinging from the Hologram.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sunswipe posted:

Do you want Harry Kim in command, or a suicidal hologram?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

shadow puppet of a posted:

On the way there though you'd get far less mewling and whinging from the Hologram.

Counterpoint: the hologram is a lot more likely to be distracted by actually getting laid.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Powered Descent posted:

Counterpoint: the hologram is a lot more likely to be distracted by actually getting laid.

The real issue is would Commander Harry have more or less time for Kimtones concerts given the burden of command but also the authority to make them mandatory.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
You sit in a chair too long in Star trek and it gains sentience, how long til all these holograms start talking and it turns into a cylon situation

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Those dudes could just fly through space like those bad guys on Superman 2

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ensign Brooks is quite possibly Riva in drag

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

You did see The Doomsday Machine, right?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

criscodisco posted:

You sit in a chair too long in Star trek and it gains sentience

How many pages of fan fics have you written based on this premise?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Neosapiens had more depth than cylons or The Doctor.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ensign Brooks is quite possibly Riva in drag

*in an extremely rich evans voice* oohh mmmyyy god!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Oh, there's starships and phasers and the roulette wheel
A fortune won and lost on ev'ry deal
All you need's a greek chorus and a nerve of steel
Riva Las Vegas, Riva Las Vegas

Rivaaaaa

Rivaaaaaaaa

Las Vegaaaaaaaaaaaaas

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Oh, there's starships and phasers and the roulette wheel
A fortune won and lost on ev'ry deal
All you need's a greek chorus and a nerve of steel
Riva Las Vegas, Riva Las Vegas

Rivaaaaa

Rivaaaaaaaa

Las Vegaaaaaaaaaaaaas

Sorry, I didn't hear that. Because I'm deaf. rear end in a top hat.
-Reeva

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Human Error;

The cold opening is Seven, sitting at a piano playing a classical piece with her hair down and her implants missing. That's it.

Turns out she's been spending time on the holodeck, as practice socializing with the crew and good loving grief where to begin :sigh:. Do we start with the fact that the base premise of the episode reveals she's perfectly capable of being social with the crew, or that the writers were hoping no-one would notice they've just straight-up ripped off Hollow Pursuits with "Reg Barclay" crudely scribbled out and "Seven of Nine" written instead? It doesn't even work as a basic premise, because one of the basic tenants of life on Voyager is Holodeck Time is pretty much the only commodity bargained with due to the fact there's only something like two of them on the ship for 150-odd people and Seven apparently racked up about 49 hours in six days.

Anyway, the basic gist of the episode is Reg Barclay Seven has started neglecting her essential duties in favour of spending time on the Holodeck, living out a life where her implants have all been removed and she can do things like wear a regular uniform and have her own Quarters. All things she can do now, and we've in fact seen her wear regular clothes on multiple occasions with no ill effect. Stick the Alcove in there and she'd be good to go. Aside from maybe loving a holographic version of Chakotay, at least (it's even explicitly stated by Seven herself that this happens). This'd work maybe in season 4/5, but not at the eleventh hour, six episodes from the finale.

The B-Plot is that Voyager's accidentally wandered into a subspace weapon testing range, getting battered by shockwaves and trying to keep ahead of them as whomever's launching the missiles aren't answering their hails. Also the beacon that was supposed to warn them about not entering the area was deep in the firing range, presumably as a bit of dark humour on the creator's part. Seven's not keeping up with tracking the things due to loving Holo-Chakotay, and gets the ship battered about a bit. When Janeway asks about the Holodeck time, Seven waffles about a new gravometric array design, and Janeway's response that she'd "like to see it after this crisis" is just a big old "I'm gonna find out what you did and burn you for it" tone of voice.

Unfortunately, the writers daren't allow character development even at the end of the series so Seven starts experiencing malfunctions and eventually collapses. Which means the Doctor gets a good look at her "Research" on the holodeck, Holo-Chakotay and all. Turns out her Cortical Node has failsafes to limit emotions as a way to mitigate Borg Drones going rogue and now they're being triggered.

Which is a pretty high grade of bullshit considering rogue Drones have emoted just fine in every other episode they've occurred in. And still means Seven has chosen to act the way she has all this time.

In the end, Seven goes back to working efficiently, disabling an incoming missile by just beaming the detonation mechanism out before it can hit Voyager, and decides to give it all up because it's clearly an inefficient waste of time and maintain the status quo to the very end of the series.

Seriously, I'm fairly certain the writers have just checked the gently caress out for the end stretch of the series.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Maybe they also wrote it so that the hamfisted Chakotay/Seven romance didn't come out of nowhere.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Neosapiens had more depth than cylons or The Doctor.
Exosquad was kinda awesome as a kid. A little less awesome as an adult.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

revolther posted:

Exosquad was kinda awesome as a kid. A little less awesome as an adult.

Why's that?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hey, don't be assholes to deaf people and put some more Braille around here.

-- Riva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hey, don't be assholes to deaf people and put some more Braille around here.

-- Riva

Using LCARS must be annoying, what with having zero haptic feedback and all.