Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

P. sure Yahtzee is the only reason anyone pays attention to Escapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Puppy Time posted:

At this point he's literally the only person left. (Except for a guy who pretty much took Rich Evans at his word and wrote up a defense of Rogue One and how it validated his enjoyment of Star Wars as an adult)

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Has Yahtzee evolved his shtick at all since he started ZP? I got really tired of it like a year in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I rewatched H.bomb's DS2 video and now I'm reinstalling Scholar of the First Sin on PS4, the internet DOES corrupt

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Speaking of Nintendo's horrible business decisions, Super Bunnyhop gives a postmortem on the Wii U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5i4j6WlwAc

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If everything else people have said didn't give you enough reason to not give Mister Metokur a benefit of the doubt, he is in fact one of the current breed of meltybrained /pol/ shitheels, "Abloo bloo feminism, I'm RATIONAL" and all that. I wouldn't be surprised at how low they'll likely go when it starts coming to any women or ~essjewz~ aligned guys.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 2, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nintendo "ran out of resources". Ran out of resources? What, were they manually gathering the plastic and components to build the things? Its a loving plastic housing with a motherboard and a 1 mb SD card attached to it. Were they selling these things at a loss?

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

My review of the newest Doctor Who episode, "Thin Ice," is now up.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Noah Gervais released two videos today, this one is on Homefront the Revolution's DLC

Alacron fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 2, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Thanks for letting me know but why link to a moviebob thing?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Thanks for letting me know but why link to a moviebob thing?

Because I'm dumb.

It's fixed now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Good video, agreed on the episode using it's time well. imo, a lot of Nu-Who has a chronic problem with underexploring points that should be explored, while spending too much time on stuff that either turns out to be red herrings or just not interesting at all. This was a welcome change of pace.

Also, the tide of fuccbois crying at Dr Who even mentioning the idea that history might be the slightest bit whitewashed was incredible. :allears:

Yardbomb posted:

If everything else people have said didn't give you enough reason to not give Mister Metokur a benefit of the doubt, he is in fact one of the current breed of meltybrained /pol/ shitheels, "Abloo bloo feminism, I'm RATIONAL" and all that. I wouldn't be surprised at how low they'll likely go when it starts coming to any women or ~essjewz~ aligned guys.

It's a shame the only people who seem to be making these kinda videos are complete shitlords, it'd be kinda interesting to watch a retrospective on the entire TGWTG/ Internet Reviewer thing. Y'know, provided it doesn't dive into a good old round of THE SJWS RUINED EVERYTHING FOREVER.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

Hey, I also read the webcomics! Yahtzee's stuff I actually mostly watch on YouTube nowadays. I guess with the webcomics gone, I'll now pay even less attention to the Escapist.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

It's a shame the only people who seem to be making these kinda videos are complete shitlords, it'd be kinda interesting to watch a retrospective on the entire TGWTG/ Internet Reviewer thing. Y'know, provided it doesn't dive into a good old round of THE SJWS RUINED EVERYTHING FOREVER.

This is probably just an inherent problem. Talking retrospectively about internet critics is naturally going to lead to dramamongering, and only shitlords thrive on that. Decent people don't want to make 20 minute videos recounting Spoonygate.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What else is there to say about Doug other than that he's dumb, really? And what response is really any better than ignoring him?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jack Gladney posted:

What else is there to say about Doug other than that he's dumb, really? And what response is really any better than ignoring him?

A lot of interesting people came out of that platform, though. It's probably a decent time to do a retrospective, you still might be able to find all the videos and interview the relevant people, who knows whether Youtube will still be around in five years?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'd be interested in an… uhm pre-mortem? on tgwtg as a platform. Exploring what happened and what went wrong and all that without going too much into drama milking. On the other hand that might be boring as all hell.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nerds are bad at business, surprisingly. And some of them have mood disorders that make them do terrible things.

I'd be more interested in a book-length treatment of the economics and political economy of youtube vs blip in the style of Dan Olsen's fascinating (relatively) quick takes on the subject. So many of the people circulating around youtube as content producers (except CA and Chez Apocalypse alumni, it seems) have a naive and under-theorized understanding of how the platform functions, or simply or what capitalism actually is.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leal posted:

Nintendo "ran out of resources". Ran out of resources? What, were they manually gathering the plastic and components to build the things? Its a loving plastic housing with a motherboard and a 1 mb SD card attached to it. Were they selling these things at a loss?

They were using a bunch of Wii and Wii U parts that they 100% were most certainly not going to bring back into production. This is why the controller can also connect to Wiimotes and literally nothing else!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

watho posted:

I'd be interested in an… uhm pre-mortem? on tgwtg as a platform. Exploring what happened

Doug Walker happened.

watho posted:

what went wrong

Doug Walker happened.

watho posted:

all that without going too much into drama milking. On the other hand that might be boring as all hell.

Doug Walker happened.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doug Walker happened.

Yes, but the specific ways Doug Walker happened are pretty interesting, if only because they don't tend to align with normal human thinking.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A lot of interesting people came out of that platform, though. It's probably a decent time to do a retrospective, you still might be able to find all the videos and interview the relevant people, who knows whether Youtube will still be around in five years?

I think there's an easy way to make a video about the phenomenon of TGWTG and his whole site without making it all about personal drama, you just cove the rise of the site and make it about the cultural shift towards content creators.

And then, if you want, you can do the Act 2 of the Behind the Music special thing and show the downfall.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Meh, I liked Metokur's video. If he keeps it apolitical, I'll keep watching, since he did source it well (Say what you will about politics, he's got a simple style to follow and I'm a sucker for the voice). If he drags politics into it, I'll shrug and move on, since he's likely appealing to his audience. It really for me depends on where he draws the line ultimately.

Have to say, I was surprised at how... gentle, for lack of a better word, he treated Doug. It's probably the most sympathetic opinion piece on the man that I've seen since he rebooted the Critic.

As for a full post-mortum on TGWTG, it's likely only gonna happen when someone who was a part of it from day 1 like one of the Walkers or Lewis finally walks away and reveals everything. The summation will likely just be "People got in over their heads and tore it down through sheer incompetence," though. It is a topic that interests me, given how I basically stopped watching after 2014.

And regarding his "Guerrilla mindset" line, I think that was in relation to how it was short quickly in a few days in a hotel before they left- a la guerrilla warfare.

GoneRampant fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 2, 2017

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Liana K just launched a kickstarter for a new video-game series, "Lady Bits"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1221065590/lady-bits-by-liana-kerzner

The quick of it: If you want a series that is hosted by an actual gamer, who is female, and goes beyond "poorly researched Feminism 101 being read from a script"-- this is the series for you.

The less quick and more snarky: if you take all the legit criticisms of Feminine Frequency-- shallow, unfair to gamers, Feminism 101, deals in extremely broad strokes, and referred to as "the one and only female voice allowed because Feminism is a single thing that is only allowed to have a single leader right?"-- this is the series for you.

For a good prototype of what you'll get, check out Liana's "A Gamer's Guide to Feminism" series on Youtube. In-depth analysis of the entire Feminist movement (beyond 101 stuff), and how it relates to gaming.

(For a good idea of how she is NOT Anita 2.0, check out her articles on "Why Feminist Frequency Almost Made Me Quit Writing About Video Games", which puts it into a very good and lengthy context)

http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-1

PLUS this Kickstarted is in CAD$, so you can do the early-bird backer for CAD$25-- which is, what, $18USD?

Conclusion: This is a great series to back. Liana is a seasoned industry professional, an extremely smart and well-spoken person, excellent at research, and has been a gamer her whole life. The more voices there are talking about "feminism + gaming", the better, and she is an absolutely perfect voice to have advocating for gamers. Because she is one. Back this project! Anyone who ever said "I wish there was another Anita EXCEPT...", this is it.

Also, her husband is a funny sock.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hey cool

i debated on mentioning this before, but a feminist gamer i hang out with was telling me a while about how much she hates anita because she has been blatantly flat-out wrong about poo poo and gives feminists a bad rap. she cited an article anita wrote that talked about how all the female dota (i think?) characters are all helper types which is apparently completely untrue (note: i have less than zero interest in mobas so i dunno).

i still can't talk too much poo poo about anita because the vast majority of people she makes mad are just awful shitbags, but i'd kinda like to see other feminist perspectives on her work and how good it is/is not after having talked with a feminist who was highly critical of her.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Jack Gladney posted:

Nerds are bad at business, surprisingly. And some of them have mood disorders that make them do terrible things.

I'd be more interested in a book-length treatment of the economics and political economy of youtube vs blip in the style of Dan Olsen's fascinating (relatively) quick takes on the subject. So many of the people circulating around youtube as content producers (except CA and Chez Apocalypse alumni, it seems) have a naive and under-theorized understanding of how the platform functions, or simply or what capitalism actually is.

Do not steal my book idea before I can convince someone to pay me for it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I used to main queen of pain when I played dota which is a straight up gently caress poo poo up type character, there's tons of female characters that are solely about loving poo poo up, though I dunno what the ratios are, it might be a fun thing to research

I've always said anita isn't very good at what she does, but her existence and the reaction to it is proof of why she needed to exist and why there needs to be more (way, way more) feminist critics in games

I mean marxist feminist movie critics are everywhere and nobody bats an eye (mostly because the tradition of that type of criticism is quite old at this point) and it's a thing that needs to be normalised

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lornekates posted:

The quick of it: If you want a series that is hosted by an actual gamer, who is female, and goes beyond "poorly researched Feminism 101 being read from a script"-- this is the series for you.

The less quick and more snarky: if you take all the legit criticisms of Feminine Frequency-- shallow, unfair to gamers, Feminism 101, deals in extremely broad strokes, and referred to as "the one and only female voice allowed because Feminism is a single thing that is only allowed to have a single leader right?"-- this is the series for you.

For a good prototype of what you'll get, check out Liana's "A Gamer's Guide to Feminism" series on Youtube. In-depth analysis of the entire Feminist movement (beyond 101 stuff), and how it relates to gaming.

(For a good idea of how she is NOT Anita 2.0, check out her articles on "Why Feminist Frequency Almost Made Me Quit Writing About Video Games", which puts it into a very good and lengthy context)

http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-1

PLUS this Kickstarted is in CAD$, so you can do the early-bird backer for CAD$25-- which is, what, $18USD?

Conclusion: This is a great series to back. Liana is a seasoned industry professional, an extremely smart and well-spoken person, excellent at research, and has been a gamer her whole life. The more voices there are talking about "feminism + gaming", the better, and she is an absolutely perfect voice to have advocating for gamers. Because she is one. Back this project! Anyone who ever said "I wish there was another Anita EXCEPT...", this is it.

Oh, hey, I remember her. That series of blog posts was some deeply weird, unpleasant poo poo:

Darth Walrus posted:

I've already quoted parts from this section, but Imma just quote the whole thing here because it's so deeply, deeply strange:

I wouldn't have high hopes for this series.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, hey, I remember her. That series of blog posts was some deeply weird, unpleasant poo poo:

lol

Very excited now.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 2, 2017

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Darth Walrus posted:

I wouldn't have high hopes for this series.

boy I just read that section you quoted and yeah, if that characterises her writing and reasoning, I'm gonna go ahead and tap out now

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

cat doter posted:

boy I just read that section you quoted and yeah, if that characterises her writing and reasoning, I'm gonna go ahead and tap out now

Or you can watch the Kickstarter video OR the intro to "A Gamer's Guide to Feminism": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5E6f7t0DKU

Or just go ahead and base your entire view of someone's career from a single paragraph some internet rando posted.

Either way, you be you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lornekates posted:

Or you can watch the Kickstarter video OR the intro to "A Gamer's Guide to Feminism": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5E6f7t0DKU

Or just go ahead and base your entire view of someone's career from a single paragraph some internet rando posted.

Either way, you be you.

You also linked that metaleater blog series as an example of her perspective and writing style. It's bad, and those paragraphs are only part of the reason why. For example, there's the bit on Cole from Dragon Age:

quote:

Meanwhile, the character of Cole, Inquisition's anthropomorphised spirit of compassion, is gendered male. This is despite compassion being traditionally seen as a feminine trait. As awesome a character as Cole is, he's male... just because. There's no compelling reason he couldn't have been female. It's stuff like this that makes the changes to Dragon Age lore seem less like a logical refining of the game and more a reactive change to Feminist Frequency's brand of public pressure... and trust me, it kills me to say that. Overall, I love the work of David Gaider and his team.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

cat doter posted:

Sounds like someone's worried about Video Game Feminism!

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Think I'm going to pass on An Antifeminist's Guide to Feminism.

lornekates posted:

Either way, you be you.
Liana K I presume?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

cat doter posted:

I've always said anita isn't very good at what she does, but her existence and the reaction to it is proof of why she needed to exist and why there needs to be more (way, way more) feminist critics in games

Agreed.

I wish this new show wasn't kick-started. Not only for the inevitable negative reactions from MRAs and gamers but to the comparisons made between her and Anita. If this is the only way to make the show, there's not much you can do. Saying that, I hope she can make the show, whether it makes its goal of not.

Looking forward to hearing more voices about video games! :)

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Lorne, it's several paragraphs from the subject that paints a worrying picture of her perspective on the subject she is gathering support to cover. I don't think it's unreasonable to bring up and discuss.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I want to make videos about video game feminism but I have crippling anxiety because I have been yelled at online by angry nerds and lot and would likely dissolve into mist under the inevitable dogpiling if I ever got more than 4 views. Nah, better undermine my self-confidence, doubt the gently caress out of my abilities, and back down before I have even started.

I wonder how many women are thinking the same thing right now. I really think Anita's greatest strength is that she doesn't fold or buckle aside from not using humor anymore because #notallmen boys are loving crybabies and can't handle a sarcastic woman.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’ll definitely be checking these videos out. It’s always good to see different perspectives on these kinds of issues, and if nothing else her being a Gears of War fan suggests there won’t be any of the cringeworthy anti-violence moralizing that sometimes showed up on Feminist Frequency.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone know why Nintendo dropped support for the original Wii so early? I swear new releases started drying up on the console as early as 2010. So weird considering how successful the console was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lornekates posted:

quote:

Right now, the gaming industry is catering to a handful of women who personify the nagging wife or girlfriend; that, in itself, is rooted in sexist assumptions about what women can be in gaming and the world at large. Female media personalities are still being cast as the "girlfriend" or the destroyer of fun. There is a surprising acceptance of women who have a hard time saying anything good about AAA games which just might hinge on the expectation that women just naturally hate those games. That assumption is wrong. I love Gears of War so much that I've come to see "Brothers in Arms" as a gender-neutral term. I'd be the one woman who wouldn't sleep with Kratos because I respect him too much. There is nothing inherently stopping women from accessing these games. Perhaps we just haven't been given social permission to give them a chance, because the narrative is that gaming hates women.

lol Anita has problems but this woman is the dumbest person I've read in a while not named Trump.

• Locked thread