Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The open world stuff in L.A. Noire may have been more or less a complete waste of time at best but I liked that they at least went to the trouble to tinker with the AI so the pedestrians have much better sense of self-preservation about not getting run over.

Also even if there wasn't nearly enough variety in it all the NPCs having dad jokes as their idle chatter was cute.

"If olive oil comes from olives, what does baby oil come from?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nier Automata has a female character dramatically mercy-kill a male character who has been infected by the corruption instead of the other way around like normal. It doesn't really take but whatever.

samu3lk posted:

I've been playing Hollow Knight like a fiend and at one point you rescue a shy NPC in a dungeon. She's sitting on a bench at the hub the next time you show up and makes a startled "OH!" sound if you walk past her. She won't talk to you and you can't interact with her.

If you leave and come back you can find her asleep in her room and you can read her diary where she's written romantic fanfiction about you and herself. It's got all this highly melodramatic purple prose and it's super corny and like 98% lies. The story updates at least twice (that I know of), each time detailing a different event in the story and your interactions with her.

Also there's a really weird, stupid boss in the sewer area and leading up to the fight you can hear him laughing and jabbering and it's really funny. The whole game has a lot of little touches that give the NPCs and the world you play in a lot of personality.

Her diary is actually just extremely dramatized descriptions of your "interactions" with her. It's pretty great, as is the resolution of that arc.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Crusader Kings II is full of "little things" that are fantastic but this one takes the cakes for sure.

Now, in the game you don't play one person. You effectively play a dynasty. You play one person at a time but that person dies in battle/of old age/of disease/of murder...the point is they die. They can even die of loving. The game is chock full of ways to die. When you do die if you have an heir you play the heir. If you have no heir it's game over. So obviously since you're guaranteed to die you want to arrange things to have a good heir. The game has traits that are basically genetic. Attractive/ugly, smart/stupid, and muscular and such. The positive genetic traits are generally really nice and things you want to have. You aren't guaranteed to pass them on but having a genetic trait makes it more likely your children will which makes it easier to get good heirs. Of course there are no guarantees and that's what makes the game interesting. So of course if it's time to get married you also want to find a spouse that has those traits. You can also make extra babies with lovers, concubines, or extra wives, depending on how you're playing and what religion you are. Even so no matter how hard you try it's extraordinarily rare to have a ruler with two genetic traits. You just plain can't even plan on having one for every heir so you just do your best and hope you can sometimes get a genius ruler or a muscular one that lives to be 90 or something. The point is most of your rulers won't have strong genetic traits.

So anyway with one particular expansion you can pick a "focus" for your life. One of them is hunting. So while you're tooling around in the woods you can sometimes meet a random woman living in an isolated shack in the middle of nowhere. She'll be in her early twenties (as in, young and fertile) and invite you in complaining about how lonely she is. But when you look at her traits she'll be both attractive and intelligent. Mind those are both genetic traits and actually decent ones. Theoretically since she wants to hump and offers to become your lover you can have a better shot at having heirs with genetic traits. She's just too drat attractive for players to pass up easily.

So of course I did the first few times I found her in the woods. Since I play Vikings most of the time I just took her as a concubine rather than as a lover so the children would be legitimate. The problem is that she gives you syphilis every single time. It's such a perfectly constructed trap. So yeah if you meet the woods babe don't hump her.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 23:09 on May 1, 2017

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Crusader Kings II is full of "little things" that are fantastic but this one takes the cakes for sure.

Now, in the game you don't play one person. You effectively play a dynasty. You play one person at a time but that person dies in battle/of old age/of disease/of murder...the point is they die. They can even die of loving. The game is chock full of ways to die. When you do die if you have an heir you play the heir. If you have no heir it's game over. So obviously since you're guaranteed to die you want to arrange things to have a good heir. The game has traits that are basically genetic. Attractive/ugly, smart/stupid, and muscular and such. The positive genetic traits are generally really nice and things you want to have. You aren't guaranteed to pass them on but having a genetic trait makes it more likely your children will which makes it easier to get good heirs. Of course there are no guarantees and that's what makes the game interesting. So of course if it's time to get married you also want to find a spouse that has those traits. You can also make extra babies with lovers, concubines, or extra wives, depending on how you're playing and what religion you are. Even so no matter how hard you try it's extraordinarily rare to have a ruler with two genetic traits. You just plain can't even plan on having one for every heir so you just do your best and hope you can sometimes get a genius ruler or a muscular one that lives to be 90 or something. The point is most of your rulers won't have strong genetic traits.

So anyway with one particular expansion you can pick a "focus" for your life. One of them is hunting. So while you're tooling around in the woods you can sometimes meet a random woman living in an isolated shack in the middle of nowhere. She'll be in her early twenties (as in, young and fertile) and invite you in complaining about how lonely she is. But when you look at her traits she'll be both attractive and intelligent. Mind those are both genetic traits and actually decent ones. Theoretically since she wants to hump and offers to become your lover you can have a better shot at having heirs with genetic traits. She's just too drat attractive for players to pass up easily.

So of course I did the first few times I found her in the woods. Since I play Vikings most of the time I just took her as a concubine rather than as a lover so the children would be legitimate. The problem is that she gives you syphilis every single time. It's such a perfectly constructed trap. So yeah if you meet the woods babe don't hump her.

Now I want to play this but I'm worried I won't like the gameplay. Pretty much the only type of game like this I've played is Civ 5 which I got in a humble bundle and found I really dug.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Now I want to play this but I'm worried I won't like the gameplay. Pretty much the only type of game like this I've played is Civ 5 which I got in a humble bundle and found I really dug.

Crusader Kings plays a lot differently than Civ, but my guess is you'd find it just as dull, if not moreso. It's a mapgame-rear end mapgame.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jehde posted:

Conversely, in nearly every 3D GTA game, it seems the peds have a habit of just diving into your car instead of away from it. I imagine it has something to do with driving close enough to the ped to trigger the dive, but the direction of the dive is determined about where they have the most room to dive or something rather than just whatever direction gets them out of the way of your car.

They do the same thing in Mafia 3 and it drives me nuts because most of the time you're not within twenty feet of them or driving towards them and a pedestrian will call the police if you hit them. If you were trying to do something in that area you have to hide out for awhile until they go away before you can do anything.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

The whole soundtrack is on Spotify (just search "Stubbs" and it'll pop right up)

It dethrones a GTA game or two as far soundtracks go. Easily a top 5

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

It isn't like Civ V at all, actually. The best way to describe it is "feudalism simulator." It isn't like Civ where you're trying to conquer the world. Conquering the whole map is generally pretty hard to do. Still, it's pretty fun. The way to enjoy it is to just embrace the chaos and accept that the game will repeatedly punch you in the dick and no matter how good your plan is you'll fail sometimes anyway. Managing a huge empire is actually kind of difficult sometimes as your vassals are all bastards that are probably trying to murder you. The game play isn't "build troops -> conquer poo poo -> use conquered poo poo to build more troops -> conquer more poo poo." Yeah that happens to a certain degree but part of it is dealing with succession, the laws that can fracture your kingdom if you aren't careful, and the balancing act of politics. If you try it get the expansions. The thread over in Games will tell you a lot more.

It's pretty unique and actually really fun if you can accept setbacks, a lack of an overall goal (there is no "win" condition), and the madness of it. One of the newest expansions introduces the black plague which does not gently caress around. Granted it will also turn you in to a baby-murdering psychopath. It's like hey this child ruler's heir is my cousin whose heir is me so if I murder the kid then murder my cousin I get that kingdom. Score! :ese: time!

Then your heir gets murdered by his wife and your idiot second son with an IQ so low it's negative is next in line and oh gently caress I'm 72 I'll die any day now. Then you develop Alzheimer's and live until you're 98 and you lose some titles in the process of dying.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The main character in inFamous: Second Son is Native American. I was never aware of that going in and I don't think Sucker Punch ever made an attempt to market the game with that angle. The game just starts with you going to the tribe's lodgehouse. It's a nice way to introduce a character's culture without making it the only quality about the character.

He also happens to be a graffiti artist, which means it's got a graffiti minigame. I like that you have to turn your controller sideways so it's like you're holding a spray can and then shake it up. It even makes the rattle and spray noise out of the controller. When you get calls the ringtone comes from your controller as well, and the tinny quality of the sound makes it work. (I got my PS4 recently, so bear with me if I'm still amused by my controller making lights and sounds.)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

The main character in inFamous: Second Son is Native American. I was never aware of that going in and I don't think Sucker Punch ever made an attempt to market the game with that angle. The game just starts with you going to the tribe's lodgehouse. It's a nice way to introduce a character's culture without making it the only quality about the character.

He also happens to be a graffiti artist, which means it's got a graffiti minigame. I like that you have to turn your controller sideways so it's like you're holding a spray can and then shake it up. It even makes the rattle and spray noise out of the controller. When you get calls the ringtone comes from your controller as well, and the tinny quality of the sound makes it work. (I got my PS4 recently, so bear with me if I'm still amused by my controller making lights and sounds.)

I am eternally amused by lights and sounds from my controller.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It isn't like Civ V at all, actually. The best way to describe it is "feudalism simulator." It isn't like Civ where you're trying to conquer the world. Conquering the whole map is generally pretty hard to do. Still, it's pretty fun. The way to enjoy it is to just embrace the chaos and accept that the game will repeatedly punch you in the dick and no matter how good your plan is you'll fail sometimes anyway. Managing a huge empire is actually kind of difficult sometimes as your vassals are all bastards that are probably trying to murder you. The game play isn't "build troops -> conquer poo poo -> use conquered poo poo to build more troops -> conquer more poo poo." Yeah that happens to a certain degree but part of it is dealing with succession, the laws that can fracture your kingdom if you aren't careful, and the balancing act of politics. If you try it get the expansions. The thread over in Games will tell you a lot more.

It's pretty unique and actually really fun if you can accept setbacks, a lack of an overall goal (there is no "win" condition), and the madness of it. One of the newest expansions introduces the black plague which does not gently caress around. Granted it will also turn you in to a baby-murdering psychopath. It's like hey this child ruler's heir is my cousin whose heir is me so if I murder the kid then murder my cousin I get that kingdom. Score! :ese: time!

Then your heir gets murdered by his wife and your idiot second son with an IQ so low it's negative is next in line and oh gently caress I'm 72 I'll die any day now. Then you develop Alzheimer's and live until you're 98 and you lose some titles in the process of dying.

And right now there's an awful lot of cannibalism and sacrificing people to Satan, courtesy of the latest DLC.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

I really liked the character of Code Talker in MGSV, when you meet him he looks like the biggest stereotype in the world as an old man in a cloak who smokum peace pipe with Snake but then you get to know him and he's actually an insanely gifted microbiologist who loves hamburgers and talks to you at length about the history and culture of the Diné. And he ties into the entire game's themes of language as a means of control with him being taken away from his people as a child and forced to speak English and adopt an American name, and how he gets roped into Skull Face's plan due to his fear of his native culture and language being wiped out by assimilation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any game that allows your character little flair movements is great to me.

Vindictus is a fun but grindy Korean action game. One of the characters is a magical girl with a huge scythe.
One of her combos makes a mark on an enemy that does extra damage depending on how long the combo was (I think. It's been a while).
To activate the mark you simply right click and she stops for a second to do a sassy click with her fingers and the mark explodes.

I also love any game with micro missiles or darts. Especially ones that are explosive but are on a slight delay. Like they stick in the enemy and a second later explode.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

I really liked the character of Code Talker in MGSV, when you meet him he looks like the biggest stereotype in the world as an old man in a cloak who smokum peace pipe with Snake but then you get to know him and he's actually an insanely gifted microbiologist who loves hamburgers and talks to you at length about the history and culture of the Diné. And he ties into the entire game's themes of language as a means of control with him being taken away from his people as a child and forced to speak English and adopt an American name, and how he gets roped into Skull Face's plan due to his fear of his native culture and language being wiped out by assimilation.

as much as i hated the paz tapes in ground zeroes, i loved the skullface and code talker tape because it encapsulated skull face's level of villainy perfectly and still had restraint with the game's dark tone.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

as much as i hated the paz tapes in ground zeroes, i loved the skullface and code talker tape because it encapsulated skull face's level of villainy perfectly and still had restraint with the game's dark tone.

Also the hamburger tapes were some of the funniest things to come out of the entire series, and the fact that they used a 30 year-old translation goof as the basis for a joke about Master Miller secretly being behind McDonalds (in the old games his name was McDonell) is kind of brilliant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Mann posted:

Not just any kind of burger, but a burger full of artificial hormones and chemicals. A proper American burger :patriot:.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Granted it will also turn you in to a baby-murdering psychopath. It's like hey this child ruler's heir is my cousin whose heir is me so if I murder the kid then murder my cousin I get that kingdom. Score! :ese: time!

Once I was playing as one of the three Christian kings in Spain, who are all each other's brothers and so can pretty easily inherit each other's stuff. I got the notice that one of the other kings was expecting his first child, so I put together a plot to kill him while I'm still his heir that takes him out a few months later. I'm a little confused why I don't inherit my dead brother's kingdom until I notice that his wife had given birth to a daughter a few days before. The kingdom went to a regency until the daughter came of age, but as her uncle I was her heir too so I paid her maid to smother her in her crib. As I was kicking back admiring my newly-expanded kingdom, my spymaster informed me that her mother, my brother's widow, was plotting to murder me for some reason so I had her arrested and executed.

It wasn't until a few minutes later when the dust had really cleared that I realized exactly what I had just done.

Action Tortoise posted:

Is that the one where Skull Face was ringing the bell because holy poo poo that one was good.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Is that the one where Skull Face was ringing the bell because holy poo poo that one was good.

:hai:

the other thing i'm liking about inFamous is that it's set in Seattle, which where i took a trip this past year so it's the first open world game where i've been to the actual setting and it was cool recognizing certain spots like pike place.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 03:22 on May 2, 2017

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Inzombiac posted:

Vindictus is a fun but grindy Korean action game. One of the characters is a magical girl with a huge scythe.
One of her combos makes a mark on an enemy that does extra damage depending on how long the combo was (I think. It's been a while).
To activate the mark you simply right click and she stops for a second to do a sassy click with her fingers and the mark explodes.

I also love any game with micro missiles or darts. Especially ones that are explosive but are on a slight delay. Like they stick in the enemy and a second later explode.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
*mashes the Y button to constantly twirl lightsabers while running around in Knights of the Old Republic*

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Guy Mann posted:

*mashes the Y button to constantly twirl lightsabers while running around in Knights of the Old Republic*

I was just about to post this. Mine were always red and green, because then I was Darth Krampus.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Action Tortoise posted:

:hai:

the other thing i'm liking about inFamous is that it's set in Seattle, which where i took a trip this past year so it's the first open world game where i've been to the actual setting and it was cool recognizing certain spots like pike place.

Similarly I live in Boston and while most of fallout 4 is just vaguely similar there's one part that actually made me stop and feel just...weird. it was so perfect to the real life area.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I still remember how blown away I was when I visited Venice right after playing Assassins Creed II. I legitimately felt as though I could navigate around some of the city just based on my knowledge of the game.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Skull Face is probably one of the better MGS villains because he is just that goddamn mean about everything. Using the Boss' honorary SAS wings to infect Zero,

Using BB's emotional crutch Paz to eliminate his only real challenge,

The entire Bell tape. Just loving all of it

It all paints a picture of a brilliant sadistic mastermind willing to tear the world apart by literally wiping out an entire language like some Bond Villain. All for revenge, the game's core theme, wrapping it up as a foil to BB's revenge.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

I still remember how blown away I was when I visited Venice right after playing Assassins Creed II. I legitimately felt as though I could navigate around some of the city just based on my knowledge of the game.

I tried when I was in Venice but it didn't really help. The game doesn't prepare you for how bad the city stinks either.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is that Binary Domain?
People have been talking about it a lot lately.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Inzombiac posted:

Is that Binary Domain?
People have been talking about it a lot lately.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer with best race Batarian's using their power and then their melee attack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTaCRQNH6g

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Similarly I live in Boston and while most of fallout 4 is just vaguely similar there's one part that actually made me stop and feel just...weird. it was so perfect to the real life area.

I had to walk away from Fallout 3 for a couple of years because I started playing it just after I finished a stint of living in Washington DC. It was too unsettling to walk around the nuked wasteland where three weeks earlier I had been walking with my 18 month old daughter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Skull Face is probably one of the better MGS villains because he is just that goddamn mean about everything. Using the Boss' honorary SAS wings to infect Zero,

Using BB's emotional crutch Paz to eliminate his only real challenge,

The entire Bell tape. Just loving all of it

It all paints a picture of a brilliant sadistic mastermind willing to tear the world apart by literally wiping out an entire language like some Bond Villain. All for revenge, the game's core theme, wrapping it up as a foil to BB's revenge.
and then at the climax he reveals his evil plan in a dramatic speech ten years in the making... to the wrong person, who doesn't care

I don't know why people hate that part because it's insanely funny

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I love the big twist of MGSV, I just wish it was handled better than "here is literally the last bit of story in the game, be revealed for no reason!"

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Guy Mann posted:

You could also do this in the Jedi Knight games. By default you press 1 to pull out the saber and press it again to put it away with a spin, but if you tap 1 while it is being put away you spin it around and it stays out. The game did also have a dedicated taunt button where you would levitate the saber in front of you and spin it around.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Veotax posted:

I love the big twist of MGSV, I just wish it was handled better than "here is literally the last bit of story in the game, be revealed for no reason!"
yeah there are so many cool ways it could've been done. Venom was even starting to hallucinate the truth and disassociate from his brainwashing, that was clearly building up to a scene that would lead into the final mission, then lol nope

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, the ending comes completely out of nowhere and really feels like they ran out of time to build up to it

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

and then at the climax he reveals his evil plan in a dramatic speech ten years in the making... to the wrong person, who doesn't care

I don't know why people hate that part because it's insanely funny

The player doesn't know the thing that makes it funny at the time. Though the song always struck me as Skullface expecting more of a back-and-forth and suddenly finding himself with a ton of dead air on the climactic ride, which is also funny

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I remember this thread being disappointed we were never going to get a finale to the Darksiders games, but this was just posted on Amazon.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

looking forward to the fourth and final climactic installment where you play as Famine taking burgers away from hungry kids like a reverse Diner Dash

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

looking forward to the fourth and final climactic installment where you play as Famine taking burgers away from hungry kids like a reverse Diner Dash

The devs clearly started with "Let's make a game where you play as WAR! And then another where you play as DEATH!" and didn't think through to Famine and Pestilience. So those two in the Darksiders setting were replaced with, uh, STRIFE and FURY.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The gun-wielding horseman should fight with his bare fists since Death and War swiped his pieces in previous games, and he should bitch about it every cutscene.

"Rider, the Chaos Fiends reside atop that cliff-"
"If those two Warcraft-looking goth motherfuckers didn't swipe my iron I'da already shot them bitches."
"You can use your wall-climbing skills to-"
"Like, they'da been dead and I could head onto the next temple."
"But beware of their evil curse-"
"Bam! But naaaw, now I gotta climb my skinny rear end up that cliff face and do poo poo the hard way, like a goddamn peasant. When I find Warridan Stormrager and Goth McScythefucker I'mma smack them both, swear to god."

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think Skull Face already knows who he's dealing with. The way he says 'Be seeing you, Boss' makes it seem like he's already in the know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The music in Persona 5 is really good, but it's getting to the point where I'm legitimately excited for each of the Palaces, where you are on your treasure-stealing run, simply because the music that plays gets me so pumped up about it.

And then in the casino, the music changes to a lyrical version, and felt so drat cool.

Inzombiac posted:

Vindictus is grindy as poo poo but I loved a lot of the things in it: the goals to perform, the different fighting styles, the weight of combat, felt very fun to play through a dungeon kicking the poo poo out of kobolds then wrestling them to the ground as the big guy.