Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If you max Ohya it's implied that she goes to Joker's hometown to find the woman who testified on Shido's behalf to try to get Joker out of jail. She actually served a purpose at the veeeery end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Firebert posted:

If you max Ohya it's implied that she goes to Joker's hometown to find the woman who testified on Shido's behalf to try to get Joker out of jail. She actually served a purpose at the veeeery end of the game.

I completed Ohya's confidant in December so I didn't have to wait long for the pay off of her regaining her journalistic spirit and aiming to break the story on Shido's cronies. I can imagine it'd be a pretty lackluster ending if you finished it earlier though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I was hoping we'd discover that by defeating the source of the mental shutdowns, people like Ohya's partner would snap out of it and wake up. I feel like that got overlooked at some point, it's a bit of a dangling plot thread having people shut down or psychotic still around if you never cure them, they might as well have made Akechi's power lethal from the getgo.

Edit: P5 Crimson's inevitable Reform Akechi social link will feature a rank 9 Mementos mission to visit all of the hundreds of people he's mentally destroyed over the years and undo the damage. Rank 10 you take him out for pancakes to celebrate.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 2, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

I was hoping we'd discover that by defeating the source of the mental shutdowns, people like Ohya's partner would snap out of it and wake up. I feel like that got overlooked at some point, it's a bit of a dangling plot thread having people shut down or psychotic still around if you never cure them, they might as well have made Akechi's power lethal from the getgo.

I mean their psyches basically got murdered, those people are hosed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oxxidation posted:

I mean their psyches basically got murdered, those people are hosed.

Once a God shows up and also you kill that God I think all bets are sort of off on what's feasible according to The Rules. Also I figured that's why they did stuff like kill Futaba's mom and Haru's dad off entirely instead of just having them have a mental breakdown, to tidy that up if you ever fix all the still-alive cases.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dolash posted:

Edit: P5 Crimson's inevitable Reform Akechi social link will feature a rank 9 Mementos mission to visit all of the hundreds of people he's mentally destroyed over the years and undo the damage. Rank 10 you take him out for pancakes to celebrate.

Yeah, with how neatly and positively every other confidant ended I thought it was weird Ohya's partner is just institutionalised forever since she got Akechi'd. I was totally expecting there'd be some hope for recovery or something, but nope.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I will admit, it's very easy to forget that Goro really did Mental Shutdown a looooot of normal rear end people. I'd like to believe if people could recover from Apathy Syndrome, they could probably get better from being Cognitive Murdered, but prooooobably not

anyway this one goes out to the like six people including me who wanted a Persona 5 AMV set to Kendrick's Mask Off

https://twitter.com/tinycartridge/status/858764040553811968

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Uhhh, the people who we see get shut down are loving dead, y'all. Principal + Okumara + SIU douche are all done and dusted. That's one shutdown that can't be reset.

Also, there was a scene that bothered me around like 'oh Shido's losing it we need to work in his name!!' And that never actually amounted to anything. Makes me think that another harsh edit or two could've benefited the experience.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I NEED PICTURES

PICTURES OF THE P4 CAST WITH THEIR OWN PHANTOM THIEVE OUTFITS

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bogart posted:

Uhhh, the people who we see get shut down are loving dead, y'all. Principal + Okumara + SIU douche are all done and dusted. That's one shutdown that can't be reset.

Also, there was a scene that bothered me around like 'oh Shido's losing it we need to work in his name!!' And that never actually amounted to anything. Makes me think that another harsh edit or two could've benefited the experience.

The train driver survived and so did a bunch of others like Ohya's partner. Even among them train driver made a full recovery while Ohya's partner is basically comatose or something in full time care at a mental ward. Akechi has variety in how he mentally shutdowns people.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The train driver survived and so did a bunch of others like Ohya's partner. Even among them train driver made a full recovery while Ohya's partner is basically comatose or something in full time care at a mental ward. Akechi has variety in how he mentally shutdowns people.

Sorta. Mental shutdowns are mental shutdowns. He kills their shadow, they're loving hosed.

What you're alluding to is psychotic breaks, which are a totally different thing, where he uses his power on their shadow and they go loving bananas temporarily. That we DO know people can come back from.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bogart posted:

I kind of wish we'd seen more of the trial at the end, the story treated all that as just wrap-up so the details were glossed over but considering how big a deal was made of the Phantom Thieves' methods earlier in the story, it might've been nice to see what testimony Joker actually gives and how it helps shut down Shido and his conspirators.

It might've also helped lend weight to the gang getting Joker's conviction overturned if you saw more of what he was actually hit with in order to testify. As it stands that whole sequence goes by so quickly and with so few details it's hard to feel invested in it.

Edit: Also the key takeaway about the mental shutdowns is for story purposes, having a bunch of people lingering in incurable vegetative states is sort of a bummer so far as endings go, especially when you were just messing with divine powers capable of fusing a giant skeleton into Tokyo then erasing it along with everyone's memories just a moment ago. Just feels like a bit of a writing oversight. They could've just had Akechi's power kill the people outright (as it does in some cases) if it wasn't going to be resolved.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 2, 2017

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Another NG+ "aha" moment:

On top of all the overt reasons the game gives you not to trust Akechi, there are a few details that foreshadow his true nature the day he officially joins the party. Ryuji jokingly assumes Akechi has an all-black outfit because he wanted to call himself Raven. If you watch TV that night, you catch a Neo Featherman episode where the black ranger betrays the group and must fight the red ranger.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
fuuka is a cute and perfect girl

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

the persona 5 anthology manga seems preeeeetty good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

the persona 5 anthology manga seems preeeeetty good

The perfect revenge.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Should have stuck his hand in and punched every floor.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BaDandy posted:

Site support going to 100 percent and beyond

How tho

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Christmas miracles and Satan power.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nah, Satan would be on Yaldabaoth's side. Satanael's more like Lucifer but with a kickass gun

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I hope they completely change who the Black Mask is in the rerelease just to gently caress with everyone.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FractalSandwich posted:

I hope they completely change who the Black Mask is in the rerelease just to gently caress with everyone.

It's Shiho

EDIT: The physical therapy was a cover for her actions

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
But who could be such a lovely bitch-baby to also fill the shoes of that character???

IF ONLY THERE WAS SOMEONE

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Saint Freak posted:

But who could be such a lovely bitch-baby to also fill the shoes of that character???

IF ONLY THERE WAS SOMEONE

This would seriously be the biggest plot twist a Persona game has done.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mishima gets a character revamp in Persona 5+.

Unfortunately for him, he is now Mishima but with Yosuke from Persona 4's need to mention he's going to piss himself every other cutscene and general terribleness as a human being.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think Yosuke talks about pissing himself that much.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At all is enough to label him as a pissboy to me. gently caress that guy.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Peesuke.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Release the Junes piss tape.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Midnight Channel presents: Yosuke Hanamura: 1 boy, 1 cup.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

I'm so down with this it ain't even funny

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Midnight Channel presents: Yosuke Hanamura: 1 boy, 1 cup.

The Midnight channel only shows what people want to see and I don't think anyone wants to see that.

BriteNite
Feb 28, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Midnight channel only shows what people want to see and I don't think anyone wants to see that.

Hello, have you ever been on the Internet? Somebody wants to see everything.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
yosuke and mishima are like two pees in a pod

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

You know, it'd work. In a different way. But rather than having someone just being bitter and nihilistic and 'gently caress the world' Mishima would be more about his, well cowardice, lack of self esteem and inability to free himself from authority figures. He'd lose himself in the idea of obeying the Phantom Thieves, and the cry of the crowd of the masses demanding executions. Always eager to please he'd done the black mask to start killing. Suddenly, the population turns against him, and even his idols the Shadow Thieves now say his enemy, Yabbadabbadoo reaches out to him. Presto.

It's why I DID like the Mishima line. You really manage to prevent a potential villain from arising.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Whoever wrote this list on the A.V. Club clearly didn't actually pay attention to anything at all in the game: "A definitive, inarguable ranking of Persona 5 characters"

Like obviously it's supposed to be funny and exaggerated, but it fails to do so because it gets a bunch of basic facts flat-out wrong. For example:

"Sojiro hates you"

"[Iwai] sells weapons to children, which is helpful if you’re a child who is fighting demons in your spare time but is, generally speaking, an uncool thing to do." (but they're explicitly models and toys...?)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

Whoever wrote this list on the A.V. Club clearly didn't actually pay attention to anything at all in the game: "A definitive, inarguable ranking of Persona 5 characters"

Like obviously it's supposed to be funny and exaggerated, but it fails to do so because it gets a bunch of basic facts flat-out wrong. For example:

"Sojiro hates you"

"[Iwai] sells weapons to children, which is helpful if you’re a child who is fighting demons in your spare time but is, generally speaking, an uncool thing to do." (but they're explicitly models and toys...?)

They got the best girl right at least

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Harrow posted:

"Sojiro hates you"

Here it is, the point anybody stopped taking this seriously.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pretty good list as long as you assume it goes from bottom to top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kurtofan posted:

fuuka is a cute and perfect girl

You're good at being right.

• Locked thread