Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also is it just me or does Castile seem extremely weak this patch? Morocco totally ran them over in both of my campaigns and they never colonized the new world. They also regularly refuse to build boats for some reason, so that seems broken.

I've also seen Castile and Portugal refuse to build navies aside from a handful of transport ships. It's made my First Come, First Serve - For Odin - Ideas Guy run a bit of a cakewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speaking of Ideas Guy, I decided to do an Ideas Guy run in east africa only to be royally hosed over by one of my war allies randomly not switching control of one of the provinces in my vital interest but not in theirs over to me, ensuring that I can get absolutely no territory in this war where I sacrificed pretty much everything to win. Thanks for ruining that run, ethiopia. Go gently caress yourself.

Is there anything that can be done to flip control back to me? The enemy army is already destroyed with my allies all over their poo poo, so I can't get them to re-siege it and take it back.

I'm really salty about this right now.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Speaking of Ideas Guy, I decided to do an Ideas Guy run in east africa only to be royally hosed over by one of my war allies randomly not switching control of one of the provinces in my vital interest but not in theirs over to me, ensuring that I can get absolutely no territory in this war where I sacrificed pretty much everything to win. Thanks for ruining that run, ethiopia. Go gently caress yourself.

Is there anything that can be done to flip control back to me? The enemy army is already destroyed with my allies all over their poo poo, so I can't get them to re-siege it and take it back.

I'm really salty about this right now.

You could wait around until they get bored and peace out and hope they don't take the province in question in the peace deal. Also maybe rebels will spawn and last long enough to cap the province

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rebels are usually what I go for in that kind of situation, usually your ally won't bother fighting them and you'll be able to cap the province afterwards

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
You can also try to let the enemy unsiege it, if it's in a good location for it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Also is it just me or does Castile seem extremely weak this patch? Morocco totally ran them over in both of my campaigns and they never colonized the new world. They also regularly refuse to build boats for some reason, so that seems broken.

Castile's AI has issues for sure. Since 1.21 (I think) they build up to around a 29k army they basically never use, they have a pitiful navy, rarely take exploration (I've seen them with religious, economic, once espionage); they just stand there and fight if there's armies in the Iberian peninsula. In my Aragon run I'm just using them as domestic defense, because hell if they will assist in killing the Turks or hell, even Genoa.

When not under PU they get regularly bullied by Portugal, Morocco, even Granada at times.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
The general pattern I've noticed is that they tend to do super bad early but become stronger over time, right up until France eats them. Overwhelmyingly the biggest issue in my games so far is the French/Ottoman alliance from hell that exists even if they don't become allies. If you're a great power and end up at war with the Ottomans there's about a 100% chance France will intervene to ensure that you lose. I had to abandon a SWEDEN game because of this nonsense.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Schizotek posted:

Overwhelmyingly the biggest issue in my games so far is the French/Ottoman alliance from hell that exists even if they don't become allies. If you're a great power and end up at war with the Ottomans there's about a 100% chance France will intervene to ensure that you lose. I had to abandon a SWEDEN game because of this nonsense.

That, and Portugal/Mamluks/Inca/freakin' Venice becoming Ming tributaries. At least the solution to the Frottomans is to ally France first and strangle the OE in the beginning, but it only works with those nations naturally going to go after them. I can see how it would be a problem for Sweden.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Schizotek posted:

The general pattern I've noticed is that they tend to do super bad early but become stronger over time, right up until France eats them. Overwhelmyingly the biggest issue in my games so far is the French/Ottoman alliance from hell that exists even if they don't become allies. If you're a great power and end up at war with the Ottomans there's about a 100% chance France will intervene to ensure that you lose. I had to abandon a SWEDEN game because of this nonsense.

Interestingly, in one of my games France pulled me into an intervention against the Ottomans. There's still a decent chance that France and the Ottomans will rival each other.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Seeing this Castille chat makes what I am seeing in my Hormuz game make more sense - Castille is pitiful but has colonies everywhere and I want to murder them, but they are allied to England and a swole Portugal :(

In other news, I have enough Dev to be the 5th ranked great power (as Hormuz, lol) but I am a Ming Tributary (it kept me alive when Persia was going ham). If want to break free of my Tributary status now that I am so big and allied to the Ottomans and a big fat Jaunpur, do I just....cancel it? Will they go to war with me over it or anything? I think I can still get the Straight Talk achievement either way, but I was also thinking of trying to form Arabia and get the coffee achievement, which would probably be easier if I was not a subject hemorrhaging MP to Ming and not enjoying the benefits of being a Great Power.

The fact that I could be the 5th ranked GP at this point is especially funny to me because I am poor as gently caress and can only afford an army of like 20k, with 2k artillery total. And a whopping 2 Heavy Ships, 2 forts, 20 transports, no manufactories, and a bunch of what are probably meaningless colonies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 2, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The criteria for becoming a Ming tributary needs to be significantly tightened. It's broken the game that countries so far away from them can get protection from a colossus that can't even defend them, but the AI thinks they can, and doesn't declare war because of it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

The criteria for becoming a Ming tributary needs to be significantly tightened. It's broken the game that countries so far away from them can get protection from a colossus that can't even defend them, but the AI thinks they can, and doesn't declare war because of it.
I agree, but I am enjoying it while I can.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Castile just suffers from a rather weak start position now, if they can't ally Portugal they are most likely hosed. Aragon, Morocco, France will dogpile them without much trouble. Castile can only survive with the help of Burgundy or Austria and those two are usually pretty weak as well.

Is there any ledger that actually shows me how many grain producing provinces I have? All I found is the production one that tells me I am leading producer, but not how many provinces I have.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

Castile just suffers from a rather weak start position now, if they can't ally Portugal they are most likely hosed. Aragon, Morocco, France will dogpile them without much trouble. Castile can only survive with the help of Burgundy or Austria and those two are usually pretty weak as well.

Is there any ledger that actually shows me how many grain producing provinces I have? All I found is the production one that tells me I am leading producer, but not how many provinces I have.

In one of my games, Castile PUed Aragon and didn't fight a war with France but still allowed Morocco, entirely by themselves, to take significant amounts of territory from them. It wasn't until after Castile was weakened that France jumped on them. So no, I don't think it's entirely due to their position. Something else is going on to make them lose wars they have no right losing.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think it's something with the AI nearly certainly, like they will build a full army but not the navy transports it needs, nor will it split armies to get transported across the sea; they won't ask/get military access from Portugal for Ceuta, so they kinda just stand there waiting for a way to cross the strait, while Iberia burns from a thousand sieges.

France for example doesn't have the same issue, I've seen them grab mil access from like 7 countries just to get to Ottomans to help / fight them. Naples is super gung-ho about amphibious assaults (even too much at times). It's something that is unique to Castile that I've noticed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm no expert but I'd assume that historically places as far away from Ming as Ayuthaya didn't really care what Ming said as in real life it was not possible to project force during the renaissance more efficiently and easily than the US does today.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

I'm no expert but I'd assume that historically places as far away from Ming as Ayuthaya didn't really care what Ming said as in real life it was not possible to project force during the renaissance more efficiently and easily than the US does today.

There were, in fact, tributary relations between Ayutthaya and the Ming. Whether the Ming actually gave a gently caress or could have done anything at all if someone invaded Ayutthaya is another matter.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

You can check the achievement browser. It shows progress

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

skasion posted:

There were, in fact, tributary relations between Ayutthaya and the Ming. Whether the Ming actually gave a gently caress or could have done anything at all if someone invaded Ayutthaya is another matter.

Wouldn't being a tributary in this case mean, that you're paying Ming to protect yourself from Ming themselves?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Just add a distant war modifier for the tributary overlord's willingness to defend, or increase the distance penalty for becoming a tributary in the first place..

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There needs to be an AI modifier to make the head of the evangelical union more irrational or something, I haven't seen a league war in a long, long time. Then inevitably the whole HRE ends up Prot or Reformed anyway with like two catholic electors

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Redmark posted:

Just add a distant war modifier for the tributary overlord's willingness to defend, or increase the distance penalty for becoming a tributary in the first place..

This seems ideal, particularly if failure to defend either ends tributary status or makes them more likely to cancel tributary status or to revolt or whatever tributaries do to not be tributaries anymore.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
huh in my latest game, castile owned most of both south & north america, and almost all of west/north africa. From marrakech to alexandria. They seem fine to me.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
In my Ternate game Castile and Portugal got pushed out of the Iberian peninsula by Aragon and were reduced to a couple provinces in Africa and South Africa + isolated islands, respectively. Castile was just happy to exist until I came along and snapped them up as a vassal. My plan in the Revolutionary Era was to feed them the Iberian provinces for shits and giggles and the initial grueling fight worked by peacing out Aragon's biggest ally France (thankfully for a pittance) and wearing them out through taking their more isolated states and then beating up their smaller armies that show up to take it back without realizing my big army was lurking nearby.

Can't do that as easily any more, Ming is my rival and is the second largest Great Power. I forgot to build towards land force increase and forewent Quantity for Offensive/Defensive. My last fight directly pointed at Aragon after breaking their alliance with France was quickly Enforced a couple days in by Ming telling me to knock it off or he'll join in the fight..which isn't one I can win with forces split in two fronts even with a decent Morocco and the usual Ottomans. I should throw something together quickly and drag the world into a hell war until the 1800s rolls around.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Wrong thread.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nosfereefer posted:

Wrong thread.

Also that video loving sucks, "Haha, this thing I'm doing right now is childish" is the worst thing, way to find literally the joyless self hating nerd that has to call himself dumb as he tries having fun in a loving videogame.

Thanks for sharing this great link

https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableGeniusDunlinTriHard

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Also that video loving sucks, "Haha, this thing I'm doing right now is childish" is the worst thing, way to find literally the joyless self hating nerd that has to call himself dumb as he tries having fun in a loving videogame.

Thanks for sharing this great link

https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableGeniusDunlinTriHard

Yes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr. Fowl posted:

This seems ideal, particularly if failure to defend either ends tributary status or makes them more likely to cancel tributary status or to revolt or whatever tributaries do to not be tributaries anymore.
Yeah what is it one that is a tributary has to do to not be a tributary anymore?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
DDRjake did a little sneak preview of Meiou&Taxes 2.0 on his stream if you want to look into the face of madness.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139420138

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Senor Dog posted:

You can check the achievement browser. It shows progress

* is a horde
x owns 200 grain provinces

Sadly it doesn't tell you how many you actually have, looks like I'll just go eat into Ming and their Tributaries to finish this.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah there are a number of achievements that are like that, it's kind of frustrating

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Tahirovic posted:

* is a horde

Sadly it doesn't tell you how many you actually have, looks like I'll just go eat into Ming and their Tributaries to finish this.

The in game achievement window tells you how many grain provinces you have. Specifically, it says 0/201, with the extra 1 being the steppe horde government requirement.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

So what's the longest you guys have had before Colonialism spawned?

Because in my current game I'm up to 1522 and counting.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 3, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Detheros posted:

So what's the longest you guys have had before Colonialism spawned?

Because in my current game I'm up to 1522 and counting.

To beat a dead horse, this is again thanks to the Iberian AI changes. Castile and Portugal were traditionally the early colonizers but they only rarely shoot for the new world early in this version. They tend to not build much of a fleet and also not explore much. Then they get whipped by the Moroccans and have other things to worry about.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

1540, thanks Holland :thumbsup:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

* is a horde

Oh sorry :( that's pretty dumb!

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
So my latest Russia game, not only did Colonialism spawn super late, but the only colonizing power is Great Britain so 50 years after it spawned it has yet to leave the British Isles.

On a related note, i think that paradox needs to do something to limit the excessive colonizing of Africa's coasts. Even before the latest changed, I'd noticed in a lot of games that Spain never really ended up caring about the new world because they would colonize and conquer everything north of the Congo.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I think France was the one who started off colonialism in my game and then it promptly became a tributary of Ming(wtf?)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm still learning the mechanics so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question: is there a way to just flat-out buy a province from a country without going to war? Like "hey buddy, nice island you have there, can I have it for 500 ducats" or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
It can happen if the ruler has the embezzler trait but they'll send you the offer, there's no way for you to initiate it on your own.

• Locked thread