Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
my interview for my current job was like 3 hours long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
When I'm ready to retire I'm going to take a job at one of those "unlimited vacation" companies, have a good first performance review, and then go on a permanent vacation until I get fired or they change the policy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

aren't they unlimited vacation as long as your manager approves the requests?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lol as if an ‘unlimited vacation’ policy shop isn’t age discriminating over 40 much less retirement age

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

so, uh, what is an on site interview like at a non dysfunctional company? here it was even more tests, a bunch of bragging about the facilities and then am awkward one on one with a member of each team you were interviewing with.

The Management posted:

they're going to put you in an interview room. one or two interviewers at a time for 30-60 minutes are going to ask you technical and coding questions. they'll take you to lunch. it'll be a long day.
combine these two, and you've encompassed every tech interview i've had, some of which appeared to be at not-entirely dysfunctional companies

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

apple wants me to come out for an onsite! now we find out new ways for me to embarrass myself in technical interviews. also i need to find dates i can conceivably attribute to family events.

you can always call in sick with something "intensely biological" and nobody will ask for details

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fart simpson posted:

aren't they unlimited vacation as long as your manager approves the requests?

what's the manager going to do if you just take vacation? that's what i've always done. "hi team, i'm going to be on vacation from <date> to <date>, please let me know if there's any information you need from me before i leave."

remember, "it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blinkz0rz posted:

what's the manager going to do if you just take vacation? that's what i've always done. "hi team, i'm going to be on vacation from <date> to <date>, please let me know if there's any information you need from me before i leave."

remember, "it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission"

hi Blinkz0rz,

According to the schedule you're expected to deliver <task> by the end of <milestone>. other teams are depending on this to be complete so they can get their features done. will you be delivering this code before you go and guiding it through integration? who will be supporting them and fixing bugs in your code when you're gone?

keep me updated,
The Management

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

The Management posted:

hi Blinkz0rz,

According to the schedule you're expected to deliver <task> by the end of <milestone>. other teams are depending on this to be complete so they can get their features done. will you be delivering this code before you go and guiding it through integration? who will be supporting them and fixing bugs in your code when you're gone?

keep me updated,
The Management

hi the management,

that other guy will be doing the rest. idgaf who.

best,
blinkz0rz

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blinkz0rz posted:

hi the management,

that other guy will be doing the rest. idgaf who.

best,
blinkz0rz

the rest of the team has their own assignments. be at my office at 3pm today to review the outstanding deliverables and timeline. also I don't see a vacation request in the time tracking site. your time off is not approved until it's entered in there and I click approve. we'll discuss at 3.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah at my place anything over a week has to be approved by your manager and anything over two weeks has to be approved by the director.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i just scheduled 2 weeks off in june and told my boss only after i already booked the flights, lol if you need approval

also don't plan on recording the time off in the payroll system because ive never done it in any job ive ever had

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
ive got a place interested that seems solid but was billed as a "chill place to work where people can wear jeans blah blah" which raised a flag. theres enough glassdoor review noise that i cant really get a feel for the place. whats the yospolicy on naming and shaming because id be genuinely interested in anyone else has experience with them and i strangely trust this comedy forum more than most legit job sites

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
quite a few people on this dead gay comedy forum enjoy passing their time by doxing and griefing random strangers, so your judgment on this matter is a little suspect imo

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
hmm good point

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you can always call in sick with something "intensely biological" and nobody will ask for details

Hershey squirts.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
what is a good reference for brushing up on filter design? I have an audio filter design interview coming up and I haven't looked at filters since school.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The Management posted:

the rest of the team has their own assignments. be at my office at 3pm today to review the outstanding deliverables and timeline. also I don't see a vacation request in the time tracking site. your time off is not approved until it's entered in there and I click approve. we'll discuss at 3.

mishaq posted:

lol if you need approval

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mishaq posted:

lol if you need approval

Iverron
May 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

ive got a place interested that seems solid but was billed as a "chill place to work where people can wear jeans blah blah" which raised a flag. theres enough glassdoor review noise that i cant really get a feel for the place. whats the yospolicy on naming and shaming because id be genuinely interested in anyone else has experience with them and i strangely trust this comedy forum more than most legit job sites

I currently work in this environment and it is currently really bad but that doesn't really have anything to do with the dress code.

I did an interview with a place a few weeks ago that advertised jeans and nerf gunz etc in the listing and then was told 5 minutes into the interview that it was a placement position at E Corp with a strict dress code.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
yeh im still gonna look into it but i don't have high hopes

in other news the nyc job called back and offered it to me fully remote because they know moving to the area is a tall order. i started to tell him I had to decline due to city costs/housing and he immediately jumped in with it so i assume they'd sussed out my hesitance. just a couple more bits to deal with but the people seem nice and this might be a keeper

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ooh, i like this one

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

always be booking flights etc before you ask permission, or for the love of God at least lie and say you've booked them

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

"place says they are good place to work" -> "must be a red flag"

yospos logic

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ofc bad jobs say they are good, but also good jobs do too

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

honestly promoting having a chill dress code is a pretty good sign compared to say having children's toys such as foosball and xbox

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

adults would like to do their work in a comfortable and unimpeded way and things like "dress how you like" and "come and go when it suits you, just be around for x, y, z every week and get your work done" are good for that

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah advertising literally childish things is a pretty bad red flag (related: the paternalism of jobs that feed and amuse you so you never have to leave)

a good job/boss should view a large part of their role as 'actively get out of the way of employees accomplishing things' and remote options, flex hours, no dress code, results oriented vs ritual oriented, no one breathing down your neck -- all go a long way to that

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
a lot of what i saw on glassdoor was they micromanage and theres no work-life balance though a bunch were positive. when the recruiter just started going into how they have an easy going attitude in a large corp unsolicited it just struck me as a little forced. dunno i more care about the work details and technicals than whether i can wear jorts :shrug:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

you cant wear jorts ever, have some self respect

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

minivanmegafun posted:

you cant wear jorts ever, have some self respect

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

A red flag to.me is ending up in those "best places to work" lists. I've worked at those places and those lists and straight bought, paid for, and vote rigged.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PierreTheMime posted:

a lot of what i saw on glassdoor was they micromanage and theres no work-life balance though a bunch were positive. when the recruiter just started going into how they have an easy going attitude in a large corp unsolicited it just struck me as a little forced. dunno i more care about the work details and technicals than whether i can wear jorts :shrug:

all recruiters are clueless and are just making poo poo up. their pitch will always be entirely unrelated to the actual quality of the company and job- good or bad.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my current job is a chill place to work where we can wear jeans and come and go whenever as long as we're getting our work done but none of that was in any pitches or job descriptions, it was up to me to figure it out during the interview. the pitch was "here is the company it does x with y tech, everyone we've placed in this group really likes the manager." in retrospect it makes perfect sense - "we treat you like an adult" is not something you should ever have to advertise to actual adults

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

basically recruiters are a red flag

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
update: they offered me $35/hr for this contract with no benefits. i told them it seemed low. I guess it's time to ask for more?

i am not so good at this.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

PapaLazarou posted:

update: they offered me $35/hr for this contract with no benefits. i told them it seemed low. I guess it's time to ask for more?

not sure where you're at but yes, that sounds absurdly low for contracting. you should be able to get (at least) that as a regular employee in any decent market.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
am i the only one who reads "unlimited vacation" as "no vacation"?

I was taking an HR class when netflix' policy was announced and the teacher thought i was being super negative

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PapaLazarou posted:

thats desktop support it monkey level money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

am i the only one who reads "unlimited vacation" as "no vacation"?

I was taking an HR class when netflix' policy was announced and the teacher thought i was being super negative

i've taken 4-5 weeks every year for past 5 years of unlimited vacation jobs, oh well guess im lucky or smart or just filter out lovely employers when interviewing or something

• Locked thread