Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Train posted:

Oh no I'm not trying to argue that I'm saying that the most vehement poo poo was relegated to groups of white people and mailers and poo poo not every comment section of every news article regardless of content and every YouTube video etc etc

Yeah it is pretty gross but I guess I still prefer it all out in the open, as a reminder to myself and others of what's out there. Complacency is more dangerous than the normalization of open racism, imo, though this is my personal judgment call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I disagree: people werr always this dumb and awful. The internet just makes it visible.

White people are thr same racist assholes they've always been - they're just more open about it, which disgusts the wealthier white people who mostly have thr same beliefs but cloak them better

I think its more that the "alt right" is just a faction of online culture and doesn't really exist beyond a few sites and their focused efforts on social media.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Agag posted:

I think its more that the "alt right" is just a faction of online culture and doesn't really exist beyond a few sites and their focused efforts on social media.

Alt-right is usually defined too broadly to be useful in any way. When you are lumping together the Daily Stormer, RT, and Chapo Trap House, you done hosed up

A better definition might be "the non-religious right" or even just "anti-pc reactionaries"

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Alt-right is usually defined too broadly to be useful in any way. When you are lumping together the Daily Stormer, RT, and Chapo Trap House, you done hosed up

A better definition might be "the non-religious right" or even just "anti-pc reactionaries"

I think its even smaller than that. Its some 4chan/reddit/twitter people, and occasionally they get press in the far-right media. I wouldn't even call poo poo like InfoWars "alt-right" since that's classic conspiracy theory paranoia.

They latched onto Trump to become more widely known. They aren't a base that actually did anything to get Trump elected.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The broad strokes they use to paint all wrongthink as the alt right is just another display of how the media is out of touch and doesn't know poo poo outside of it's bubble

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Train posted:

The broad strokes they use to paint all wrongthink as the alt right is just another display of how the media is out of touch and doesn't know poo poo outside of it's bubble

Where you see incompetence I see active malice

They are working to group together all non-centrist, non-globalist viewpoints into a big group of evil racists. Chapo trap house and Bernie Sanders are now thr alt-left, the mirror of the alt-right

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea it's all propaganda I'll agree with you there

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Yea it's all propaganda I'll agree with you there

Its just business. People love hearing about neo-nazis so there were tons of mainstream news stories about this runaway new political movement that was actually a few thousand internet casualties posting gas chamber pepes.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

People who harbour racist and fascist ideals while vehemently denying they being anything but existed since forever.

Basically they just blame the closest minority for whatever problem and claim if they would be gone or "controlled" things would be fine. This ideal is popular because it's really easy to understand and it's just overall convenient.

How much they are organised is different though.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

I think its even smaller than that. Its some 4chan/reddit/twitter people, and occasionally they get press in the far-right media. I wouldn't even call poo poo like InfoWars "alt-right" since that's classic conspiracy theory paranoia.

They latched onto Trump to become more widely known. They aren't a base that actually did anything to get Trump elected.

I think they were a crucial component of the election. without them, there's no basket of deplorable or mainstream derangement about nazis. without that there's no Trump margin of victory imo.

their agitation and trolling were online guerilla warfare and worked the same way regular guerilla warfare does, by provoking overreach thats radicalizes former moderates. if the media hadn't spewed such hysterical rhetoric in response to 4cham trolling them, then there's not such extreme tribalism going on, and maybe hillary does pick up those suburban republicans she wanted. But the media was instead pushing the idea that we were on the edge of rahowa because someone called them a jew on twitter

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hillary was garbage and that's a bad argument, ignoring the rest

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The impotent swinging at the alt-right is actually more harmful than the alt-right iself because it is destroying public confidence in the mainstream media

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

SickZip posted:

I think they were a crucial component of the election. without them, there's no basket of deplorable or mainstream derangement about nazis. without that there's no Trump margin of victory imo.

their agitation and trolling were online guerilla warfare and worked the same way regular guerilla warfare does, by provoking overreach thats radicalizes former moderates. if the media hadn't spewed such hysterical rhetoric in response to 4cham trolling them, then there's not such extreme tribalism going on, and maybe hillary does pick up those suburban republicans she wanted. But the media was instead pushing the idea that we were on the edge of rahowa because someone called them a jew on twitter

I doubt most voters know about any of this poo poo or care.

Post election numbers show the same number of people showing up to vote for Republicans as usually do, and a lack of enthusiasm for Hillary. Wisconsin dads didn't change their votes because the media was unfair to @Kek_1488.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mnoba posted:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/04/beyond-alt-understanding-the-new-far-right.html

this might just be the best piece of journalism i've read in the last 10 years

This is damning with faint praise.

I will give reasonably high marks to sections 5 and 6, but that's it.

The history of the Claremont perspective is interesting, the rest is absolutely not.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 2, 2017

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

I doubt most voters know about any of this poo poo or care.

Post election numbers show the same number of people showing up to vote for Republicans as usually do, and a lack of enthusiasm for Hillary. Wisconsin dads didn't change their votes because the media was unfair to @Kek_1488.

Wisconsin dad has no clue about kek_1488 because all this poo poo is a super stupid slapfight happening in media and formats he doesn't follow. he does get exposed to the media screaming about nazis for no reason he can discern, he does hear hillary calling large portions of trump's followers deplorable racists.

its all insanely polarizing and creates an atmosphere where defection is minimized. he doesn't see any nazis, is he the nazi or deplorable for being conservative? are the people in his social circles. if things are as bad and on the verge of violence as the media made it seem, does he have any choice about what side he was on?

Trump winning the conservative tribe is surprising because he didn't run as a regular conservative.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

SickZip posted:

Wisconsin dad has no clue about kek_1488 because all this poo poo is a super stupid slapfight happening in media and formats he doesn't follow.

Yup. That's the alt-right summed up.

quote:

he does get exposed to the media screaming about nazis for no reason he can discern, he does hear hillary calling large portions of trump's followers deplorable racists.

its all insanely polarizing and creates an atmosphere where defection is minimized. he doesn't see any nazis, is he the nazi or deplorable for being conservative? are the people in his social circles. if things are as bad and on the verge of violence as the media made it seem, does he have any choice about what side he was on?

Trump winning the conservative tribe is surprising because he didn't run as a regular conservative.

Except he got the same voters as Romney. Nobody turned out for Hillary because nobody liked her, and they haven't for 20 years.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
and then here's a livestream of anti-Trump protests by antifa where they are breaking random windows and Wisconsin dad instantly knows things are violent now

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

All the antifa/at-right brawls were after the election. Wisconsin dad is also hosed no matter who he votes for.

I guess my point here is nothing matters.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Agag posted:

nothing matters.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Agag posted:

All the antifa/at-right brawls were after the election. Wisconsin dad is also hosed no matter who he votes for.

I guess my point here is nothing matters.

oh I agree that nothing matters

it's just that the polarization is getting worse, because what Wisconsin dad feared before the election is coming true and now he's radicalizing as a result

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you don't own a gun you should!d purchase one. Never know when you might need it

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
This kind of political radicalization is only a problem if you live in a country with a lot of desperate people and guns and military veterans kicking around. So you're probably fine.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Agag posted:

This kind of political radicalization is only a problem if you live in a country with a lot of desperate people and guns and military veterans kicking around. So you're probably fine.

the funny part is when this happens and only one side has the majority of guns and the people on the other side are also against the government, who will likely support the first side

it's a winning strategy

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

the funny part is when this happens and only one side has the majority of guns and the people on the other side are also against the government, who will likely support the first side

it's a winning strategy

That's definitely what it says on the pepe memes.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's true tho. If you are a leftist afraid of preppers and crazy right wingers then you should be even more motivated to buy a gun. You never know when you might need one, regardless of political beliefs

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Blue Train posted:

It's true tho. If you are a leftist afraid of preppers and crazy right wingers then you should be even more motivated to buy a gun. You never know when you might need one, regardless of political beliefs

the Black Panthers understood this

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Black Panthers are the reason gun control is a thing, Democrats in California didn't like the blacks having guns and shut that poo poo right down. gently caress you California you racist fake left fucks

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It's a dreamworld where the crazy gun nuts would actually use their guns in an open revolt...

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Bholder posted:

It's a dreamworld where the crazy gun nuts would actually use their guns in an open revolt...

Not against the government, against the kids dressed in all black picking fights with veterans and preppers.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Antifa larpers too busy casting magic missile to notice conventional ones coming at their heads

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

lol this man got elected by Americans

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Trump was the comedy option, and the right choice.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Harrower posted:

Trump was the comedy option, and the right choice.

It was like writing in Mickey Mouse but he actually had a chance to win which made it even funnier

Also I just noticed how Problematic "Mickey" is

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 2, 2017

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
A vote for Mickey Mouse is a vote for antisemitism.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The title bestowed by members of the devoted Reddit community r/the_donald. In the past, “god-emperor” has been used by historians and subjects to describe the Roman and Japanese emperors; Jesus Christ; and massive, immortal, psychic human-worm hybrid Leto II Atreides from Frank Herbert’s sci-fi novel God Emperor of Dune. It is unclear which god-emperor the president is meant to recall.

They don't even get the god-emperor joke. Not impressed at all

i am shocked that the person with a job doesn't get a warhams joke

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Antifa larpers too busy casting magic missile to notice conventional ones coming at their heads

Wasn't it the Trump supporters/alt righters/whoever who arrived with engraved shields?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I don't remember seeing shields, that's hilarious. Riot or cardboard?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Both sides have sported numerous homemade shields. These protests/riots are straight up LARPing.

That said an alt-right I-can't-get-laid-because-of-the-blacks creep will show up at one of these things and shoot a bunch of black bloc teens to death any minute now.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sentient Data posted:

Plywood, painted pink and purple, with some sort of pitchfork logo on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

Black roundshields and I think I remember v's on them so some actual time and coordination went in to their dumb outfits

• Locked thread