Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
What happens when you steam it for longer than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

neongrey posted:

What happens when you steam it for longer than that?

Never tried before; I just started using it. Going to try 5 minutes tonight.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Revol posted:

Talk to me about using rice cookers for steaming! I hate rice, but I want to make easy steamed broccoli, so I got one of those $20 piece of poo poo steamers. It works, but do I need to buy something better to get more reliable steam cooking? I found this guide online that says to steam frozen broccoli for 3-4 minutes. If I do 4 minutes, the broccoli is really crunchy, like inedible crunchy. Is this guide wrong, or is a better rice cooker going to steam vegetables correctly?

Just a guess, but I think the online recipes are assuming you're using a pot on the stove, which probably has a lore more energy than your piece of poo poo steamer. Probably need to cook longer with your appliance

Also be aware that at some point your steamed veggies will get overcooked and start turning mushy and a gross yellow color

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I have just a cheap folding steamer basket and yeah, 3-4 minutes is spot on in one of those for frozen broccoli.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Knifechat.

Any opinions on these?

https://kamikoto.com/collections/store

There are some insanely steep markdowns if you pre-order. A $675 santoku for $115, a $1295 set of three for $220. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the santoku.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lol like two pages ago it's a scam

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Makes sense. Thanks, missed that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It makes me angry because I've seen it shared on Facebook several times and I think about how many untold thousands are falling for it

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I should start scamming people into buying the equivalent of a Victorinox for $300+. Just slap a fancy looking handle on it, and laser etch some random kanji on the blade.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Lol like two pages ago it's a scam

That wasn't the knife thread, not this one?

In the knife thread it starts here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557177&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=60#post470759916

Steve Yun posted:

It makes me angry because I've seen it shared on Facebook several times and I think about how many untold thousands are falling for it

A lady at work mentioned that she was going to buy a really nice Japanese knife soon. Turned out to be Kamikoto. OTL

Talked her out of it, though.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I should start scamming people into buying the equivalent of a Victorinox for $300+. Just slap a fancy looking handle on it, and laser etch some random kanji on the blade.

There's definitely a market on Kickstarter for that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

"cracker rear end sucka"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Free working meat slicer, why not? Brand says Emide, made in W. Germany, so pretty old, which means it's probably better than most new stuff and actually made in europe. Was easy to take apart, every electronic bit lifted out and I could squirt everything down with a chlorine solution, then for a tour in the dishwasher. Eveything came out clean looking. Now I just need something to slice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone used these openers?
https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-us/can-do

My favorite would be these traditional ones however, but wall mounted can openers like this doesn't fit into my kitchen, it worked real well in my grandmothers kitchen next to the firewood operated stove:
https://www.remodelista.com/products/bernadotte-wall-mounted-can-opener/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone used these openers?
https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-us/can-do

My favorite would be these traditional ones however, but wall mounted can openers like this doesn't fit into my kitchen, it worked real well in my grandmothers kitchen next to the firewood operated stove:
https://www.remodelista.com/products/bernadotte-wall-mounted-can-opener/

Just get a good ol Ez Duz It and never look back.

https://smile.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ-3028-Deluxe-Opener-Grips/dp/B0071OUJDQ/

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Seconding. Have had mine for 5 years now.

After having the cheap plastic handles break off 2 can openers within a year, I got the made in America EZ DUZ IT. Could have charged $30 for it and I still would have been happy with my purchase. I suppose when I get arthritis in 30-40 years I'll 'upgrade' to an automatic/ergonomic one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thirding the EZ-Duz it. In fact, it's the recommended can opener in the op

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yup just got one last month to replace the terrible zyliss one i had

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I saw that one yes but the one I linked was available locally for me, shipping to finland would be a lot for said opener really. Also how sure can you be it's not a chinese knock off? I saw reviews on openers bought from amazon where that was an issue.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I saw that one yes but the one I linked was available locally for me, shipping to finland would be a lot for said opener really. Also how sure can you be it's not a chinese knock off? I saw reviews on openers bought from amazon where that was an issue.

Amazon.com or Amazon.de?

Were the complaints about EZ Duz it or can openers in general?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Part of the reviews in that link claim counterfeit and googling reviews lead me to similar claims, so I am vary.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Part of the reviews in that link claim counterfeit and googling reviews lead me to similar claims, so I am vary.

Reading the reviews carefully, it looks like the counterfeit ones were purchased from other sellers who are retailing on Amazon. If you purchase from that link, it says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" which means it should be genuine.

Also some of the complaints about it rusting are probably because they let it sit wet for too long. The cutting blade is carbon steel. Carbon steel stays sharp longer but rusts if you leave it wet. Dry it off after washing and you'll be fine.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 3, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Back in college I bought a cheapass set of T-Fal cookware. The only piece I still have is I think a saute pan? ~11" diameter and roughly 3-3.5 inches deep. The center is starting to raise now and heat doesn't seem to be getting to the outer edges of the pan. I was looking for a replacement for under ~$50 if possible, would something like this be a decent purchase?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7RNLXV

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Back in college I bought a cheapass set of T-Fal cookware. The only piece I still have is I think a saute pan? ~11" diameter and roughly 3-3.5 inches deep. The center is starting to raise now and heat doesn't seem to be getting to the outer edges of the pan. I was looking for a replacement for under ~$50 if possible, would something like this be a decent purchase?

I don't personally own that pan or anything from that brand, but Fakespot gives the reviews an A, so they are not likely faked by the manufacturer. Also, it would work with induction burners, if you ever decide you want to switch to that.

In addition, I really like that style of pan as it's really versatile for cooking meals for 2+ people.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thermoworks is doing 15% off everything on their site with code SITEWIDE15OFF.

Enjoy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Thermoworks is doing 15% off everything on their site with code SITEWIDE15OFF.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered the SMOKE for, well, my smoker.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

GobiasIndustries posted:

That would be a fine replacement, but I'd go to your nearest Ross or Tuesday Morning or whatever is similar and look there instead. I've seen Cuisinart MCP for 50-75% off sticker price occasionally, and their lower end lines for really low prices all the time. Stick with Cuisinart, Calphalon, Tramontina (if they have any) and look up the pan online before you buy it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That would be a fine replacement, but I'd go to your nearest Ross or Tuesday Morning or whatever is similar and look there instead. I've seen Cuisinart MCP for 50-75% off sticker price occasionally, and their lower end lines for really low prices all the time. Stick with Cuisinart, Calphalon, Tramontina (if they have any) and look up the pan online before you buy it.

Seconding this.

Disc bottom cookware is fine, but if you can get multiclad/triply cookware for a similiar price at Home Goods/TJMaxx/Ross/Marshalls, go for it

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered the SMOKE for, well, my smoker.

They just had a sale on Smokes specifically like a week ago for I forgot how much off. You might have been able to get it cheaper then. :(

EDIT: They also just had a sale on ThermaQ stuff for $75 off and red ThermaPen MK4s for $20 off.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 5, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

They just had a sale on Smokes specifically like a week ago for I forgot how much off. You might have been able to get it cheaper then. :(

Well I almost ordered one at full price this past weekend, so this is an improvement, I guess. And I didn't need one last week because my Maverick was still working.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason to put any thought into buying an ice bucket, or can I just buy the first one that I see on amazon?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bongwizzard posted:

Is there any reason to put any thought into buying an ice bucket, or can I just buy the first one that I see on amazon?

Well I mean you can spend $300 on a yeti ice bucket but you have officially spent more time thinking about ice buckets than I have in my entire life just by making your post.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Yeti or just drink it warm, IMO. If your ice bucket isn't featured in rap songs I don't even know...

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Two most important things for ice buckets: is it big enough and does it match the decor?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Also get a scoop and throw the tongs in the garbage.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
That't what I thought. I usually just use a spare stockpot but this summer seems to be all about crushes and margaritas, so I think its time to get serious about countertop ice storage.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Kenji's pork satay is pretty amazing, but drat if there's a recipe that makes me hate my gear more. Basically, I need a better food processor/grinder. I have a small spice/coffee grinder and I have the blade "attachment" to a Cuisinart stick blender.

In both cases, the problem I have is that the mixture ends up clumping at the sides of the blender/grinder and sticks there, leading to very uneven blending unless I constantly pop it open to push everything back down with a spatula. The peanut sauce in particular is a nightmare and I have to work in batches.

Now, the reason I have these things and not a fancy food processor is because I'm low on counter space. It doesn't help that my mother gave me a Kitchenaid mixer which barely sees any use beyond the occasional cookie or bread dough.

Is there some good quality grinder I could use for this? Or maybe better technique?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that recipe looks so good but definitely falls in to the "too much loving effort, kenji :argh:" for some satay

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Kenji is ridiculous. I read the ingredients to get a rough idea of flavor balance, but half the fuckin bullshit he tells you to do is nonsense.

"If you really want to make good carnitas, first freeze the pork shoulder in liquid nitrogen, then brine, then age it in your fridge for 8 days, then refreeze and thaw, cooking on the 10th day. It's more work, but the tenderness of the pork will be unmatched."

LOL no

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Forgive me if I missed it but I searched the first 30 pages or so for keyword: Scale

Is there a fairly agreed upon awesome digital food scale? I can find lots under 20 bucks with 4.5 star reviews on Amazon, but they all smack of rebranded generics and despite the good reviews there are tons of ones that say they just stopped working after 3 weeks or whatever...

Any good ones for a fair(ly inexpensive) price?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

there are low capacity .1g or high capacty 1g, which?