Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Best hobbit in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

LordAba posted:

Best hobbit in the world.

He might be getting too old for this poo poo.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Weirdo posted:

Yeah they can be a little fussier, I've had better luck with both by using army painter primer as opposed to my cheaper krylon standby.

I've had no trouble with Halfords grey in the UK - solid standby grey car primer.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In Kings of War, how screwed am I if I don't have any ranged or cavalry units? I'm working on an undead army and just noticed that I don't have anything to fill those niches.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Electric Hobo posted:

In Kings of War, how screwed am I if I don't have any ranged or cavalry units? I'm working on an undead army and just noticed that I don't have anything to fill those niches.

For undead, cavalry is less important because you can use surge to make up the difference. Missile troops, specifically artillery, are useful because you can shoot a unit before surging into it, effectively attacking a unit twice in one turn. Most lists have to choose one or the other, but undead can do both. However, undead shooting skill is garbage, so it's likely your artillery or missile troops would never hit. So by not taking any, you're trading the points for a potential hit that may never come in exchange for another unit. That may or may not work out.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Great, thanks! I just traded some stuff for a couple of Balefire catapults, and I rummaged through all my crazy boxes and found 3 Orc Fightwagons and a few sprues of Abyssal flamebearers for allies. That gives me a few more options :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Proper view of the captain I finished earlier in the month, now that I've done the oath complete photos; also I rescued one of the first things I ever painted, a Marauder dreadball team - partly painted with hobby kit paints, dollar store brushes made the paint go everywhere with spots of pink on green, green on pink, brown on white, they had no teeth or other details, and the goblin eyes were giant red splothces almost on their noses. Years of learning and new equipment and materials let me fix most of it.

Oath Season 8 starts this month, and eve though Krushgroove - and consequently access to the grand prizes - remains absent, we're still painting, and other goons are still offering mini comp prizes, such as May's monster madness.

NTRabbit posted:

:scrunt: OATH COMPLETE :scrunt:

An Ogre Captain inspired by Mad Jack Churchill, complete with bagpipes, longbow, sword, and the Churchill family tartan

Claiming theme and it's a rescue with a refurbishment to a very old oath, now no longer embarrassed to put them on the table

Also claiming all for one, turns out I did a lot more terrain than minis this year

1 Dragon Turtle by Reaper Minniatures (25mm)
12x Goblins and 2x Gores by Mantic (28mm)
2x cooking pots, 2x large fires, and picket fence by 3T Studios (25mm)
1 Karnedge Gorefathom, Karkarion Boss by Reaper Minis (25mm)
1 Kraken by Reaper (25mm)
1 Large Drill Platform by Underground Lasers (28mm)
20x 3" laser barrier sections, 4x corners for angled walls, 2x large acrylic billboards, 2x large shipping container, 2x shipping container, 1x angled wall with stairs and acrylic door, 1x Supercomputer by Underground Lasers (28mm)
6x Q huts by Impudent Mortal (15mm)
4 Hexagonal containers, 2 Hexagonal half-containers, 1 Microwave Array, 1 Lightning Cannon, 1 Control Room kit, and 1 Planetary Gate kit by Underground Lasers (28mm)
A helipad, train station, 6" container, 6" walkway, and 9" bridge by Underground Lasers (28mm)
One dragon hatchling black from Reaper (25mm)
One 'Dragons Don't Share' tower by Reaper (25mm)
1 Mr Bones by Reaper (25mm)
Log Cabin Ruin, and Italian Stone Bunker by Acheson Creations (28mm)
XIX Century Pizzeria by Micro Art Studio (28mm)
A ball of polyester fibre, and 10 Tea Lights
2 Train Engines, 2 Train Access cars, 2 Flatbed cars, 7 Train shipping containers, (28mm) and 5 sections of Elevated Highway (10mm) by Underground Lasers
3 Hangars, 1 Workshop, and 1 Warehouse from Impudent Mortal (15mm)
1 Red Dragon Hatchling by Reaper (25mm)
1 Ruined Temple, 1 Eastern Village, and 1 Roman Village by Forged in Battle (15mm)
1 Paraceratherium by Acheson Creations (28mm)
3 Goblins and 1 Ogre by Mantic (28mm)
3 crates, 2 barrels, 2 platforms, and a chest by 3T Studios (28mm)
1 Hay Cart, 1 Turnip Cart, and 2 Scorpions by Warbases (28mm)
Muslin, a leftover plastic gubbin from Ikea, some oak dowel, and a bit of paddle pop stick
1 Ogre Captain with musician upgrade kit by Mantic (28mm)
4 Marauder Guards and 6 Marauder Jacks by Mantic (28mm)

Finally claiming spring cleaning in autumn

Good season everyone!

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 2, 2017

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there an overview of the KoW heroes that's in the Destiny of Kings supplement anywhere online? I don't really want to get the book just for that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If you go to Easy Army they're an entry in the unit lists. They have "Destiny of Kings" listed as a special ability so you can easily figure out which named characters are from that book.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

On Easy Army Danor the Wizard, Madriga the Elf, Orlaf the Barbarian, and Rordin the Dwarf can be seen on any god or neutral army list; The Spirirt of Valandor on good army lists; Mortibris the Necromancer on the Undead and Empire of Dust lists; and Demon Lord Ba’el, Bane of the Mortal Kingdoms on Forces of the Abyss only.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Some of those guys are pretty neat. Danor the Wizard seems fun with his casting every spell every turn at least.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Free rules for Warpath and Firefight

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10049744/dave/Operation%20Heracles%20pdfs/Operation%20Heracles%20-%20Firefight%20Smol.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10049744/dave/Operation%20Heracles%20pdfs/Operation%20Heracles%20-%20Warpath%20smol.pdf

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

They learned from KoW and mentioned (at least on their Twitter) that these are the "intro" rules and not the whole thing.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Just got my Enforcer starter and booster sets. Pretty impressed with the sculpts so far, and the options they give. I can see myself actually using everything in there, too, which is a weird feeling coming from GW.

That all being said, whoever designed the leg joins on some of these Peacekeepers can get hosed.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

spacegoat posted:

Just got my Enforcer starter and booster sets. Pretty impressed with the sculpts so far, and the options they give. I can see myself actually using everything in there, too, which is a weird feeling coming from GW.

That all being said, whoever designed the leg joins on some of these Peacekeepers can get hosed.

Agreed with all of the above. The other problem I had with Enforcers was getting the missile launchers to fit right.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Yeah I'm finding that out now. And the older hard plastics are a bit of a poo poo, too.

Edit: AND WHY ARE THE D.O.G.G.E.'S TOES SEPARATE PIECES?

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Speaking of ordering booster sets, is there any way to get the metal Marauder commando upgrade sprue (HMG, new heads, some CC weapons) without getting the whole booster? Also, will the industrial battlezone ever come back in stock?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

spacegoat posted:

Yeah I'm finding that out now. And the older hard plastics are a bit of a poo poo, too.

Edit: AND WHY ARE THE D.O.G.G.E.'S TOES SEPARATE PIECES?

Yeah the DOG toes are annoying.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/open-day-offers.html

Some limited resin heroes up for sale, and some deals on Warpath battlegroups and TWD boosters

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:asoiaf:

New Wrath is also a million times better than the original

Non-white people? On a minis table? The woman doesn't even have tit plate, they can't be legit minis

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Wow, Mantic has really upped their minis and painting game!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

NTRabbit posted:

:asoiaf:

New Wrath is also a million times better than the original

Non-white people? On a minis table? The woman doesn't even have tit plate, they can't be legit minis

Sup fellow Mantic Open Day-attending goon.

I wound up walking away with a GCPS starter, a Warpath Skirmish rulebook, some movement trays from the 'Mantic Archives' (not sure why they were in the archives, they seemed visually identical to the 'current' ones, just cheaper) and a Lee & Clementine Walking Dead booster (I guess I'm playing Walking Dead, now. That or I can barter it to one of the people at my club who does play). Oh, and a painted Enforcer & GCPS marine (painted by me, that is - weirdly though, some of the heads on the GCPS marines they had for painting don't seem to line up with the ones on the actual sprue) and the free Interceptor that you got on the house.

Interesting tidbits to share from the Q&A:
Mantic are playtesting a Kings of War Skirmish game (in the model of units skirmishing before a big battle, not a Mordheim-type game with warbands-Ronnie used the analogy of the skirmishes that took place before Waterloo). That's also when the Twilight Kin & Night-Stalker minis are coming out.
They're apparently considering re-released Dreadball as a boardgame-type thing (compatible with the old minis)
They're also looking into one or two additional properties to licence (apparently looking for more contained, Dungeon Saga-style boxed games rather than than more open-ended like the Walking Dead). Nothing has been confirmed, though.
They might do a Dungeon Saga expansion form the perspective of villains storming a Dwarf Hold, Basilean Keep, etc.
They might make the Jetbike race game they were running into a 'Wacky Races' type thingie.
Epic/Warmaster-scale type games might be coming down the line, but obviously they're focusing one the 28mm for now. Apparently people are already using KoW for games at that level, so making adaptions shouldn't be so hard for a game proper.
There might be more, but that's what stuck in my mind right now.
Oh, and the idea of Cheerleader Ronnie for Dreadball was introduced into the room, so who knows if that's going to happen.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sadly I didn't attend, wrong side of the world, just lifted photos from facebook and twitter, but thanks for being an actual attendee and sharing!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
After playing Mordheim with my local gaming group today and being less than enthused, I mentioned that Mantic were working on Kings of War skirmish rules. The first question was, "Is it like Dragon Rampant or Deadzone?" and everyone's stomach fell when I said I bet it would be fantasy Deadzone. As much as I like Deadzone, that's not what we're looking for. So, I'm still not sure what "before Waterloo" means, but that to me sounds larger than Deadzone, which might be what we're looking for.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Atlas Hugged posted:

After playing Mordheim with my local gaming group today and being less than enthused, I mentioned that Mantic were working on Kings of War skirmish rules. The first question was, "Is it like Dragon Rampant or Deadzone?" and everyone's stomach fell when I said I bet it would be fantasy Deadzone. As much as I like Deadzone, that's not what we're looking for. So, I'm still not sure what "before Waterloo" means, but that to me sounds larger than Deadzone, which might be what we're looking for.

In Ronnie explained it as usually before major set-piece battles like Waterloo, both sides would send out smaller forces to scout, outflank or harass the enemy. So it's a smaller military unit, not a warband of individuals (although there will be characters to lead them).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sounds to me like Kings of War: Firefight, so I think that's closer to Dragon Rampant?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

Sounds to me like Kings of War: Firefight, so I think that's closer to Dragon Rampant?

That's what I was thinking and hoping.

Yvonmukluk posted:

In Ronnie explained it as usually before major set-piece battles like Waterloo, both sides would send out smaller forces to scout, outflank or harass the enemy. So it's a smaller military unit, not a warband of individuals (although there will be characters to lead them).

Excellent.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Atlas Hugged posted:

By larger do you mean higher model counts? If so then maybe look more closely at Firefight? Or do you mean persistent campaigns with character advancement etc?

Also, since when was Dreadball not a board game,and was there any other news on this?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ugleb posted:

By larger do you mean higher model counts? If so then maybe look more closely at Firefight? Or do you mean persistent campaigns with character advancement etc?

Also, since when was Dreadball not a board game,and was there any other news on this?

We're talking about Kings of War, not Warpath.

Speaking of which, I got some good shots of the display boards I will share with the thread once my phone and computer cooperate.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Yvonmukluk posted:

We're talking about Kings of War, not Warpath.

Speaking of which, I got some good shots of the display boards I will share with the thread once my phone and computer cooperate.

Me no read gud.

I guess that is either going to keep multi based units but scale the game down to the smaller formations and smaller tables to be allow collections to carry over, or go for at least partially individually based forces on a firefight scale?

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 6, 2017

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
How does the faction balance in KoW work out?

I am coming from 8th ed where my buddy dropped out basically because Khemri were rubbish without taking very specific, cheesy, shooting builds.
Where as High Elves and Vampires were always very tough matchups for my OnG.

Are things more even in KoW?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

dmnz posted:

How does the faction balance in KoW work out?

I am coming from 8th ed where my buddy dropped out basically because Khemri were rubbish without taking very specific, cheesy, shooting builds.
Where as High Elves and Vampires were always very tough matchups for my OnG.

Are things more even in KoW?

Much more even, and much more varied, ie there isn't a single list that is take it or suck, and there are no trap choices. You can make life difficult for yourself in the list building phase, but you can't lose the game there without trying really hard to do so.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yep, even tournaments have very little duplication in Top 10's.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Adding my agreement. I haven't played much or for very long, but of the games I've played, nothing has felt broken or unbalanced in a significant way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And the Empire of Dust (not-Tomb-Kings) list is quite complete, e.g. your buddy will be able to use pretty much all of his models. The army list is in Uncharted Empires, but it's the first army from that book to get model support direct from Mantic so it's not going away or anything.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Universal Battle 2 is out. Time to play KoW in my sofa!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
There's an iOS version. I wonder how well it would play on an ipad.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Not a viking posted:

I like the wide range of options, like human, lizardman, and woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Not a viking posted:

Pillow fort? Loving your commitment there.