Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You know, gently caress it, I think I'm wrong about this deity business. I've got a copy of B.R. Myers' Cleanest Race and flipped to a section on this:

quote:

The far more obvious and significant influence ... is that of the Japanese emperor cult. Like Kim, Hirohito appeared as the hermaphroditic parent of a child race whose virtues he embodied; was associated with white clothing, white horses, the snow-capped peak of the race's sacred mountain, and other symbols of racial purity; was said to be joined with his subjects as one entity, 'one mind united from top to bottom' and referred to as the Sun of the Nation, the Great Marshal whom citizens must 'venerate' and be ready to die for. A significant difference is that while the Text likes to draw bemused attention to outsiders, including Americans and South Koreans, who allegedly regard Kim Il Sung as a divine being, it never makes such claims for him itself. But the similarity between the two cults remains to great to be explained away, as it is by some observers in terms of borrowed 'elements.' They are fundamentally alike, because they derive from a fundamentally similar view of the world.
He's uhh... deity-ish? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

You know, gently caress it, I think I'm wrong about this deity business. I've got a copy of B.R. Myers' Cleanest Race and flipped to a section on this:

He's uhh... deity-ish? :shrug:

North Koreans are clearly asked to believe grandiose claims that cross into absurd but there really is little evidence of purely mystical claims that aren't just imagery or misunderstanding.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In tropico you could have up to 2 president's childhood home's and you could build them any time. That's just how dictatorships and cult of personality works.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Baronjutter posted:

In tropico you could have up to 2 president's childhood home's and you could build them any time. That's just how dictatorships and cult of personality works.

So how many research points is North Korea holding on to now? are they close to a pacifist win?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Imperialist Dog posted:

During the occupation, Japan invested most of its heavy industry projects like factories and dams for hydroelectric power in the North while the South was hillbilly farmland. They kind of had a head start.

Up until McKay flattened the place.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I think the standard rule should be to be very dubious when a South Korean paper reports that a general has been executed by being eaten alive by dogs, as there is a good chance they'll re-appear at the next party conference, and be very dubious when some super silly claim about North Korea gets reported in the western press.

A good example of this is the 'tee hee North Korea believes in unicorns!' stuff. Actually that was a confusingly worded translation from an archaeological dig, which was nonetheless clear when taken in context, that was taken right out of context and further paraphrased. It's like if UK news reported an archaeological dig on Dragon Hill, Oxford, and foreign media was like "tee hee! the UK believes in Dragons!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mediadave posted:

I think the standard rule should be to be very dubious when a South Korean paper reports that a general has been executed by being eaten alive by dogs, as there is a good chance they'll re-appear at the next party conference, and be very dubious when some super silly claim about North Korea gets reported in the western press.

A good example of this is the 'tee hee North Korea believes in unicorns!' stuff. Actually that was a confusingly worded translation from an archaeological dig, which was nonetheless clear when taken in context, that was taken right out of context and further paraphrased. It's like if UK news reported an archaeological dig on Dragon Hill, Oxford, and foreign media was like "tee hee! the UK believes in Dragons!"

Same with all the videos of north koreans crying super weird at the Kim Jong funeral. All theatrical and fake. That really happened but theatrical crying is just part of (some types) of korean funerals. It's just a thing that at a funeral if you start crying you are also supposed to scream and shake and have a fit even if it's put on, because a funeral is seen as the place you are supposed to get loud and get everyone joining in and not the place you cry quietly and politely to yourself. Everyone one upping everyone else at how big they can cry is just a thing in general that people do at korean funerals.

Like in general north korea is one of the worst dictatorships in history, one of the worst police states, has some of the worst human rights abuses, etc. But people want it to be a storybook land and it's just not. It's a "normal" place with humans living in it and people keep trying to make a bunch of fanciful stories about it as some dreamy exotic otherworld that just aren't true. Like 90% of "news of the weird" stuff about north korea just turns out false if you spend even a minute looking into it. Like the suffering is real, but people want it to be entertaining I guess so any made up story gets mangled into some kooky nonsense that never happened or has a mundane explanation.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I thought it was about narrative building. North Korea is a totalitarian state, but much useful paint it as completely insane country that just a really repressive one. Once you do that you have complete control over any narrative since they seem barely human over there.

Granted, I am life in North Korea is punishing and people have very little autonomy from the government, but that probably isn't enough to make a very attractive narrative on its own. You need to spice it up a bit.

During the time I spent in the former Soviet Union, there were some pretty gross exaggerations from our side. It isn't that everything we thought we knew about the Soviet Union was untrue, but a fair amount of it was.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ardennes posted:

During the time I spent in the former Soviet Union, there were some pretty gross exaggerations from our side. It isn't that everything we thought we knew about the Soviet Union was untrue, but a fair amount of it was.

Such as?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I don't think propaganda pieces are indicative of what the general populace actually thought was occurring in the Soviet states.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Same with all the videos of north koreans crying super weird at the Kim Jong funeral. All theatrical and fake. That really happened but theatrical crying is just part of (some types) of korean funerals. It's just a thing that at a funeral if you start crying you are also supposed to scream and shake and have a fit even if it's put on, because a funeral is seen as the place you are supposed to get loud and get everyone joining in and not the place you cry quietly and politely to yourself. Everyone one upping everyone else at how big they can cry is just a thing in general that people do at korean funerals.

Like in general north korea is one of the worst dictatorships in history, one of the worst police states, has some of the worst human rights abuses, etc. But people want it to be a storybook land and it's just not. It's a "normal" place with humans living in it and people keep trying to make a bunch of fanciful stories about it as some dreamy exotic otherworld that just aren't true. Like 90% of "news of the weird" stuff about north korea just turns out false if you spend even a minute looking into it. Like the suffering is real, but people want it to be entertaining I guess so any made up story gets mangled into some kooky nonsense that never happened or has a mundane explanation.

I'm not saying it's some dreamy exotic world. I'm saying that they have a totalitarian government that sends dissenters and their families to labor camps. These are things that happen. This whole conversation started because someone said that the government strictly controls tours and that horrible poo poo happens to people that deviate from what they're supposed to be doing. No one ever suggested that the vast majority of NK people were anything other than normal people with an extremely oppressive boot on their neck. They just said the tours are largely fake and specifically taken through routes that hide or obscure the horrors that people aren't allowed to see.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Y'all are getting things mixed up. No, of course koreans don't believe in unicorns or that the Kims invented calculus, yes, tours with western tourists are micromanaged by state censors. It's not a loving binary.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tias posted:

Y'all are getting things mixed up. No, of course koreans don't believe in unicorns or that the Kims invented calculus, yes, tours with western tourists are micromanaged by state censors. It's not a loving binary.

Exactly this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tias posted:

I guess I am being doubtful that if you turned from a tour and ran as fast as you can into the forbidden zone that you'd actually see anything all that different. Like the tours are curated and clearly the best face possible. But it's still in a real city, where people really live, and if you yank back the curtain you are probably just gonna see the same sort of issues but worse, not some other secret world like the fantasy land western media projects about north korea.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I thought it was about narrative building. North Korea is a totalitarian state, but much useful paint it as completely insane country that just a really repressive one. Once you do that you have complete control over any narrative since they seem barely human over there.

Granted, I am life in North Korea is punishing and people have very little autonomy from the government, but that probably isn't enough to make a very attractive narrative on its own. You need to spice it up a bit.

I think part of it is just the media void in North Korea combined with general public perception of North Korea. Since local media can't get much info out of the North, they're less inclined to worry about the accuracy of what little they can get and more inclined to look for excuses to pad stories or make a bunch of speculation out of nothing. And since the "they're so weird and crazy" perception of North Korea is fairly widely accepted, the media can repeat even the craziest-sounding rumors (with the most sensational-sounding headlines) without worrying that people might not buy it. Even if something they report later is later discovered to be wrong, it probably won't be till far later, and they can just blame North Korea's secretive society. And since there isn't really any solid original source, every other news site just reprints the original report faithfully without any verification, mentioning somewhere in the article that the report is unsourced while making sure to leave that bit out of their sensational headline.

For example, the reports that KJU's uncle was executed by being torn apart by wild dogs were picked up by a number of less reliable news sources, including Fox News, before someone noticed that the original report came from a Chinese satire writer, whose post was apparently picked up by a Hong Kong tabloid and spread through the media from there.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess I am being doubtful that if you turned from a tour and ran as fast as you can into the forbidden zone that you'd actually see anything all that different. Like the tours are curated and clearly the best face possible. But it's still in a real city, where people really live, and if you yank back the curtain you are probably just gonna see the same sort of issues but worse, not some other secret world like the fantasy land western media projects about north korea.

It's a moot doubt, since you will be restrained by your handlers if you tried. One guy who I think was there on a commercial venture went for regular runs in the morning, and while he didn't see anything interesting, they freaked out and confined him to his handlers when they discovered it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WarpedNaba posted:

Up until McKay flattened the place.

Yeah. However the two sections of the peninsula are naturally suited that way. Southern Korea has great land for farming, Northern areas don't. Northern Korea has a lot of relatively accessible mineral resources, Southern areas don't to nearly the same extent.

And of course you're going to build the industry that needs the mineral resources close to most of the mines.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The GULAG system for example was significantly smaller than most Kremlinologist had predicted. Material culture in the Soviet Union was also more varied than portrayed in the US , especially from the 1950s-early 1980s. Also, the whole thing about leadership of the Communist party all living "like the Tsars" didn't pan out either. It isn't that the GULAG system itself was a lie, or there weren't lines for goods during crises, or the leadership didn't live better than the average person, but it was all greatly exaggerated as much as possible.

Hell, it even occurs today, there was a report coming out of Poland "of a secret Soviet plan to invade Germany during the Cold War." It is true while the plan existed, the little detail that was politely ignored was that it was predicated on an NATO nuclear first strike in the first place.

In the case of North Korea, I am sure there is plenty of repression and purges, but we simply need more evidence to understand the scale.

---------------------------------------------

Also, it makes sense that North Korea would initially be more industrialized to due its mining, but at the same time, it isn't exactly a secret why South Korea experienced massive economic growth during the 1970s either. i.e the US used its economic muscle to subsidized South Korea though trade.

---------------------------------------------

Another thing I wanted to mention, North Koreans have a fair reason to dislike the US. I mean the Korea War and US bombing campaigns did in fact devastate the north, there is officially still a war going on (including occasional skirmishes), and North Korea is still under crippling sanctions. One reason why the propaganda of the Kims still works...is there a little bit of truth to it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tias posted:

One guy who I think was there on a commercial venture went for regular runs in the morning, and while he didn't see anything interesting, they freaked out and confined him to his handlers when they discovered it.

See, you are taking Katie Stallard's photo essay about her morning runs in north korea and adding a bunch of made up extra story to spice it up. Like changing the story of her getting permission amicably to take unsupervised runs as long as she only stayed in a certain area where she took a bunch of mundane photos then published it and adding an extra story where they FREAK OUT and then have him (her) CONFINED and locked up or something.

Like that seems like a perfect encapsulation of how north korean news is reported. Like a mundane story that does already contain stuff like her needing permission (but getting it) to go running every morning and a promise to keep within bounds that is authoritarian and bad but really dull and mundane but that story not having enough sizzle on the steak and getting a little spicier in retelling with some added drama and conciquences.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nah, I'm sure this was a guy.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tias posted:

Nah, I'm sure this was a guy.

Link?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Another story about NK's economic transformation* under Un:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/world/asia/north-korea-economy-marketplace.html?_r=0

quote:

since 2010, the number of government-approved markets in North Korea has doubled to 440, and satellite images show them growing in size in most cities. In a country with a population of 25 million, about 1.1 million people are now employed as retailers or managers in these markets, according to a study by the Korea Institute for National Unification in Seoul.

Unofficial market activity has flourished, too: people making and selling shoes, clothing, sweets and bread from their homes; traditional agricultural markets that appear in rural towns every 10 days; smugglers who peddle black-market goods like Hollywood movies, South Korean television dramas and smartphones that can be used near the Chinese border.

At least 40 percent of the population in North Korea is now engaged in some form of private enterprise, a level comparable to that of Hungary and Poland shortly after the fall of the Soviet bloc, the director of South Korea’s intelligence service, Lee Byung-ho, told lawmakers in a closed-door briefing in February.

Kim Jong-un has exhorted the country to produce more goods locally in an effort to lessen its dependence on China, using the word jagang, or self-empowerment. His call has emboldened manufacturers to respond to market demand.

Shoes, liquor, cigarettes, socks, sweets, cooking oil, cosmetics and noodles produced in North Korea have already squeezed out or taken market share from Chinese-made versions, defectors said.

Regular visitors to Pyongyang, the showcase capital, say a real consumer economy is emerging. “Competition is everywhere, including between travel agencies, taxi companies and restaurants,” Rüdiger Frank, an economist at the University of Vienna who studies the North, wrote recently after visiting a shopping center there.

Mr. Kim has granted state factories more autonomy over what they produce, including authority to find their own suppliers and customers, as long as they hit revenue targets. And families in collective farms are now assigned to individual plots called pojeon. Once they meet a state quota, they can keep and sell any surplus on their own.

The measures resemble those adopted by China in the early years of its turn to capitalism in the 1980s. But North Korea has refrained from describing them as market-oriented reforms, preferring the phrase “economic management in our own style.”

In state-censored journals, though, economists are already publishing papers describing consumer-oriented markets, joint ventures and special economic zones.

*all relative

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So it's crazy that someone could be executed by wild dogs but sane that someone could be executed using nerve toxin in a reality tv prank show?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

Another thing I wanted to mention, North Koreans have a fair reason to dislike the US. I mean the Korea War and US bombing campaigns did in fact devastate the north, there is officially still a war going on (including occasional skirmishes), and North Korea is still under crippling sanctions. One reason why the propaganda of the Kims still works...is there a little bit of truth to it.

I mean, if they want to dislike us, they can, and that's clearly what they've chosen. I think the example of Vietnam demonstrates that, if they had preferred, they could have had friendship over enmity. Even our insane grudge against Cuba has been slowly fading. But Kim Il-Sung clung to delusions of reuniting Korea under his rule until he died, and subsequent Kim dynasts have deliberately stoked hostility between our nations for their internal political benefit.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bip Roberts posted:

So it's crazy that someone could be executed by wild dogs but sane that someone could be executed using nerve toxin in a reality tv prank show?

Maybe North Korea didn't do that either

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I mean, if they want to dislike us, they can, and that's clearly what they've chosen. I think the example of Vietnam demonstrates that, if they had preferred, they could have had friendship over enmity. Even our insane grudge against Cuba has been slowly fading. But Kim Il-Sung clung to delusions of reuniting Korea under his rule until he died, and subsequent Kim dynasts have deliberately stoked hostility between our nations for their internal political benefit.

In all honesty, I don't think China would let them even if that was ever a possibility. Also the "turn" with Vietnam came after Vietnam had their own war with China and thus a reason to mend fences with the US. Also, the Vietnam War actually ended in a definitive victory, while Korea remains as divided as it was during the 1950s.

Also I think Cuba was always more one-sided in that the Cubans really didn't want the embargo in the first place and probably would have always had preferred a better relationship with the US...just as long as they could retain their independence. It isn't we wouldn't let them.

It is clear the Kims use the situation for their own internal legitimacy, but at the same thing, we still haven't given up our part to play as well. In a sense, everyone is happy with the status quo: the Kims get to sit on the throne, China retains their puppet, and the US had a rogue nation to shake its fist at.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

It is clear the Kims use the situation for their own internal legitimacy, but at the same thing, we still haven't given up our part to play as well. In a sense, everyone is happy with the status quo: the Kims get to sit on the throne, China retains their puppet, and the US had a rogue nation to shake its fist at.

Purely as a side note, I feel like people should stop using the word "puppet" for "satellite." Quisling was a puppet: when his lips moved, it's because of Hitler's arm up his rear end. Most local dictators supported by imperial powers aren't mere toadies; they usually have a strong independent power base, and are frequently a huge nuisance for their patrons. Diem is a good example.

Anyway, inasmuch as internal US politics make it difficult to impossible for us to make peace with the world's last Stalinist state and leave Korea to their own devices, I agree that we have our part to play. But I don't think it especially suits the interests of the American ruling class to have NK as "a rogue nation to shake its fist at," because more than anything else, the Korea situation actually demonstrates how humiliatingly impotent America really is. If we could make the entire situation quietly go away, that would be in the interests of all of the non-Sinophobic elements of the political establishment. So of the three principle parties involved, I think the US has the least free agency.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
I don't think "humiliatingly impotent" is a great descriptor for why the USA hasn't launched a land war in Asia even though it would almost certainly win it in the end. Everyone knows that when the chips are down the US has the advantage. The whole objective is to avoid that scenario.

Fojar38 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 2, 2017

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fojar38 posted:

Everyone knows that when the chips are down the US has the advantage. The whole objective is to avoid that scenario.

The only thing that makes the topic of NK interesting at the moment is the fact that Donald Trump might be crazy or stupid enough to call their bluff. Under normal circumstances, so long as they keep to their own kingdom, we'll always fold when the chips are down. War against another nuclear power is only something that could ever make sense in a case of absolute necessity.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sorry, this was ages ago. I can try to dig it up, but I honestly don't remember where I saw it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tias posted:

Sorry, this was ages ago. I can try to dig it up, but I honestly don't remember where I saw it.

i mean it really very much seems like you just spiced up the story of the reporter going running with more drama than existed.are there really multiple stories of westerners going running in North Korea?

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Ardennes posted:

Oh Boy .
I poke my nose in here and the first thing I notice is this nugget from the apologist Ardennes

Take a wild guess as to who started that war.
C'mon, you can do it!!!

Even a bonehead apologist can't ignore the facts as they happened.
Can he?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Was it America, for partitioning the country in an ill thought out, arbitrary and unstable way, against the wishes of the entire population; the USSR, for going along with it; Japan, for annexing it in the first place?

The whole bold faced war of aggression narrative we have towards the North Koreans for trying to reunify their nation after half a century of occupation is lacking a hell of a lot of context.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

Nucken Futz posted:

Oh Boy .
I poke my nose in here and the first thing I notice is this nugget from the apologist Ardennes

Take a wild guess as to who started that war.
C'mon, you can do it!!!

Even a bonehead apologist can't ignore the facts as they happened.
Can he?

DPRK apologists believe that authoritarian autocracy is a legitimate, even preferable, form of governance and so don't see why naked aggression on the part of such countries is such a big deal and don't believe such aggression needs to be stopped, so yes, they genuinely believe that the UN stopping the North Korean invasion of South Korea was wrong.

Fojar38 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 3, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There are some dumb as hell attitudes in this thread, but the notion that the Korean War was started as naked aggression akin to Hitler rolling into Poland is also incredibly one dimensional.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nucken Futz posted:

Oh Boy .

Fojar38 posted:

DPRK apologists believe that authoritarian autocracy is a legitimate, even preferable, form of governance and so don't see why naked aggression on the part of such countries is such a big deal and don't believe such aggression needs to be stopped, so yes, they genuinely believe that the UN stopping the North Korean invasion of South Korea was wrong.

Since when is Ardennes an apologist for North Korea? Since, uh, never, as near as I can tell from a quick glance at his post history itt.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess the argument is that North Korea wasn't really invading, they were liberating the south from the yoke of the US so the country could be unified under the yoke of the Kims

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Since when is Ardennes an apologist for North Korea? Since, uh, never, as near as I can tell from a quick glance at his post history itt.

I dunno about Ardennes that was aimed at general DPRK apologists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guess the argument is that North Korea wasn't really invading, they were liberating the south from the yoke of the US so the country could be unified under the yoke of the Kims

IIRC there were already minor clashes along the border, executions of uppity peasants and laborers in the south. The narrative of naked North Korea aggression conveniently ignores that the U.S. mostly installed Korean collaborationists when there were viable, non-Communist alternatives available.