Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't get it. Is that a 3" charge or is it just a vague update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
After the disappointment of the charge sub phase this sounds very cool and good.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I don't get it. Is that a 3" charge or is it just a vague update?

It's a pile-in on activation like AoS.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Having played some AoS adopting their pile in is huge.

When you charge, you need to position models based on some assumptions and tactics around maximizing attacks on a unit or hooking new units into the scrum. Since you pile in to 'closest enemy model' your positioning after the charge is huge.

AoS has lovely tactical options in general, but this is one that I have learned to appreciate and in a heavy shooting game, the ability to draw in new units and force them to withdraw without shooting, or deal with melee combat is really big. The change to blasts means unit can clump up, but this will punish tight gunlines.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Isn't that very similar to the pile in at initiative order that we already have? It looks like they just took the initiative aspect out.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Ghazk posted:

Isn't that very similar to the pile in at initiative order that we already have? It looks like they just took the initiative aspect out.

You can drag new units into the combat by getting close to them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Thanks for the advice on doubling up chapters, guys. It was part rules and part fluff I was wondering about, since the twitter FAQs mentioned keeping chapter tactics, but that'll probably be cleared up middle of May or something.

If they pair these Pile In rules with retaining movement on a failed charge, I am fine with putting up with random 2d6es.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does anyone anywhere actually use Centurions? A wiki dive recently reminded me they exist at all and I realized I've never heard one name dropped in a podcast and have never seen one on a tabletop IRL or in screenshots.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

This update mentioning Slaaneshi demons being able to interrupt the sequence puts me more at ease about my Emperor's Children. I think these rules look pretty good, so nastier assaults is definitely I am down with.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

mango sentinel posted:

Does anyone anywhere actually use Centurions? A wiki dive recently reminded me they exist at all and I realized I've never heard one name dropped in a podcast and have never seen one on a tabletop IRL or in screenshots.

Grav centurions are king poo poo of broken units right now, able to delete literally a minimum of 1 unit per turn.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like the sound of combat in 8th. Swinging first on the charge is great, as is alternating activation for combat. For those of you that play AoS, does the alternating activation slow down the close combat phase?

Also, here are my Doom Cogs. The Sergeant isn't done yet, I still have to do his war skirt.

JBP posted:

I hate the direction they went in. The bloodclaw of the old book was a loving baller.

A wolfman riding a wolf in space for reasons:

A stone cold loving space wolf Viking baller:

Completely agree. That cover is why I started Space Wolves.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

What determines who activates first in alternating activation? Is it just whoever's turn it is?

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
So do you get the 2d6 charge and then the 3 in pile in at the start of combat? So if your charge fails and you end up 4 inches away can you pile in the last 3" at the start of combat to force yourself into melee? If you dont charge and walk you guys the normal way within 3" of the enemy can you pile in to force combat without overwatch?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

What determines who activates first in alternating activation? Is it just whoever's turn it is?

First person to mime drawing a katana.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

panascope posted:

You can drag new units into the combat by getting close to them.

This is cool - Epic does this as well.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yes

I would like to know how newhammer handles wound allocation. If its like AOS then it will be very easy to drop units out of 1" engagement range

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Having played some AoS adopting their pile in is huge.

When you charge, you need to position models based on some assumptions and tactics around maximizing attacks on a unit or hooking new units into the scrum. Since you pile in to 'closest enemy model' your positioning after the charge is huge.

AoS has lovely tactical options in general, but this is one that I have learned to appreciate and in a heavy shooting game, the ability to draw in new units and force them to withdraw without shooting, or deal with melee combat is really big. The change to blasts means unit can clump up, but this will punish tight gunlines.

Yeah I like the way this reads. Being able to drag nearby units into combat is a big deal, and will mitigate some of the line/spacing issues you might otherwise have to face with tight gunlines.

I also like the alternating unit activation in combat, and that some weapons and units can circumvent it, and that the units/weapons they mention are Tyranids and Slaaneshi daemons.

e: Also like that Ghazkull hits on a 2+ now

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 2, 2017

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
They brought back combat pile-in multiassaults :woop: :cthulhu::hf::orks101:

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

the moose posted:

So do you get the 2d6 charge and then the 3 in pile in at the start of combat? So if your charge fails and you end up 4 inches away can you pile in the last 3" at the start of combat to force yourself into melee? If you dont charge and walk you guys the normal way within 3" of the enemy can you pile in to force combat without overwatch?

In AOS you only get to pile in if

a) You successfully completed a charge; or
b) You have an enemy unit within 3"

So if you fail a charge you don't get to pile in 3", but if you get close enough to a big combat you might be able to get dragged into it when the enemy piles in their dudes

Pawl fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 2, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zuul the Cat posted:

Also, here are my Doom Cogs. The Sergeant isn't done yet, I still have to do his war skirt.

Looking good. I'd use the same brass from the sergeant's helmet on the lightning bolts and the fancy cog trim/fancy greaves on the sergeant, just to add a little visual interest. The red arm is really striking.

I'm jealous of everyone who started martian bases after the GW textures came out; I struggled with them for years.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

I like the sound of combat in 8th. Swinging first on the charge is great, as is alternating activation for combat. For those of you that play AoS, does the alternating activation slow down the close combat phase?

That is a really slick paint scheme. I really like these mans

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I like the way this reads. Being able to drag nearby units into combat is a big deal, and will mitigate some of the line/spacing issues you might otherwise have to face with tight gunlines.

I also like the alternating unit activation in combat, and that some weapons and units can circumvent it, and that the units/weapons they mention are Tyranids and Slaaneshi daemons.

e: Also like that Ghazkull hits on a 2+ now

I've found alternating activations to be one of the better AoS design choices. Its a good layer of tactics and leads to some fun decision-making.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
So now the turn sequence now looks like this?

Turn 1:
Player A moves
Player A shoots
Player A charges
Both players take turns activating units in combat
Player A morale/consolidation
Player B moves
Player B shoots
Player B charges
Player B morale/consolidation

Turn 2.....

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Isn't there also a "hero" phase or the equivalent for Psykers, etc?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mango sentinel posted:

They had a brief renaissance when Battle Brothers could ride in each other's transports. You would ally Blood Angels to your codex marines and take Blood Angel drop pods as fast attack choices, you could then stuff the Centurions into one and deliver wherever they would do the most damage on the board.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
P much yeah. I don't think they've said where psychic phase or command stuff happens but if they copy phase order from AoS it goes first before movement.

Edit: do Blood Angels not get Centurions?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 2, 2017

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

xtothez posted:

So now the turn sequence now looks like this?

Turn 1:
Player A moves
Player A shoots
Player A charges
Player A morale/consolidation
Player B moves
Player B shoots
Player B charges
Player B morale/consolidation

Turn 2.....
There is the psychic stuff in there somewhere, and all charging units swing before the alternating happens. But it is not that different than now.

Every 7th ed combat phase I have ever gone into was us agreeing which pile of dudes to resolve first, then we both alternate down the Initiative order until that combat has no one left to fight (and we have to check the order of challenges and how wounds spill over or not).

This new system is essentially the same except one player is swinging with a unit and resolving the damage before the other guy picks which he wants. So the tactics are there instead of just resolving what was inevitable.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

mango sentinel posted:

Nope. To my knowledge, Blood Angels are still using their 5th Ed. units, with just an additional character here or there.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Depending how much initiative variety your armies have it can be faster or slower to resolve than 7th. In 7th you have to checklist down the initiative ladder, but sometimes that's as brief as "my I5 Eldar hit first against your I4 marines". In AOS and now 8th you don't have to worry about initiative but you do have to keep track of which units have already been activated and which haven't. Get yourself some tokens and when you play against your resident That Guy make sure he uses them too.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The change that you still make your assault move even on a failed charge does take a lot of the sting out of how it currently works.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

mango sentinel posted:

P much yeah. I don't think they've said where psychic phase or command stuff happens but if they copy phase order from AoS it goes first before movement.

Centurions were actually conceived as an Imperial Fist exclusive unit, but was changed near release to be for all the Codex Space Marines chapters. I'd guess that the hideous painted Centurions in the Imperial Fist scheme had some small part in that, along with the financial reasons for not releasing a plastic kit for only one of the rarest chapters.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Centurions were actually conceived as an Imperial Fist exclusive unit, but was changed near release to be for all the Codex Space Marines chapters. I'd guess that the hideous painted Centurions in the Imperial Fist scheme had some small part in that, along with the financial reasons for not releasing a plastic kit for only one of the rarest chapters.

I like that notion, but I suspect that it's hard to make money on a unit that only belongs to a specific, rarely-played subfaction of the Space Marine book.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That makes sense considering how kind of fortress-like they appear.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Combat stuff looks good. I like the addition of the pile in allowing you to engage a second unit and avoid the overwatch. That unit being able to withdraw in the next turn should mitigate some of the damage and allow you to get away.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Zuul the Cat posted:

making GBS threads hell dude, wasn't the Doom Cogs joke only posted like, yesterday? These guys looks amazing for having less than 24hrs from drawing board to almost finished.

drat sexy scheme too. I love asymmetric colours on Space Marines.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Artum posted:

The change that you still make your assault move even on a failed charge does take a lot of the sting out of how it currently works.

Yeah Charge is pretty different in this than AoS.

AoS you just declare which unit is charging and roll 2D6 then afterwards you can decide which if any enemy unit you can charge.

Having to declare which enemy your charging ahead of time seems more than fair tradeoff for keeping the moment if you don't get in combat. Also the cherry on top that while you declare your charge target, you can still get 3 inches of pile in to other nearby units if you start fighting.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Between the giant fists, heavy armor, and description as seige weapons, I'm not surprised. A shame there aren't more unique units for lesser used chapters like that, but for an entire produced model I can understand why.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Seems kind of silly to claim TACTICS if they are still going to keep all the forced movement in the pile in phase. Hope that stuff is gone and you can just move your guys however you want so long as they are still in coherency.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Seems kind of silly to claim TACTICS if they are still going to keep all the forced movement in the pile in phase. Hope that stuff is gone and you can just move your guys however you want so long as they are still in coherency.

What do you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

making GBS threads hell dude, wasn't the Doom Cogs joke only posted like, yesterday? These guys looks amazing for having less than 24hrs from drawing board to almost finished.

drat sexy scheme too. I love asymmetric colours on Space Marines.

Haha, no no. I had already painted them this past Sunday and was just trying to come up with a name yesterday, which is when I landed on Doom Cogs.

Working on the 10 tacticals now, and putting together 5 more terminators.

• Locked thread