Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventus
Oct 6, 2015
So question for higher-tier players:

I have 123mil (plus barrows dye but waiting to sell during summer), and would like to start more serious bossing. Already done QBD and Bandos in GWD1. Would like to try Araxxor and some of GWD2. Few subquestions:

1) What gear should I get? I already have GWD1 armour for all 3 styles. RCB/chaotic weaponry. I'd prefer to not blow all my money, but will if it will truly improve my bossing a significant amount

2) Which bosses should I start with in GWD2? I've heard Greg is annoying as poo poo so I'm avoiding that for now. Recommendations?

Ah, should mention my stats:

99 str/def/range
96 atk
95 prayer
96 magic
87 summ (will get to 96+ during DXP in May)
102 HP
100 herb
99 slayer (not a req for any bossing, just bored as poo poo with it)

I appreciate the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Ventus posted:

So question for higher-tier players:

I have 123mil (plus barrows dye but waiting to sell during summer), and would like to start more serious bossing. Already done QBD and Bandos in GWD1. Would like to try Araxxor and some of GWD2. Few subquestions:

1) What gear should I get? I already have GWD1 armour for all 3 styles. RCB/chaotic weaponry. I'd prefer to not blow all my money, but will if it will truly improve my bossing a significant amount

2) Which bosses should I start with in GWD2? I've heard Greg is annoying as poo poo so I'm avoiding that for now. Recommendations?

Ah, should mention my stats:

99 str/def/range
96 atk
95 prayer
96 magic
87 summ (will get to 96+ during DXP in May)
102 HP
100 herb
99 slayer (not a req for any bossing, just bored as poo poo with it)

I appreciate the help!

Vindicta is probably the best boss in all gwd2 but a lot of people enjoy twin furies as well <if you have a scythe>. For armour start working on ports or shell out for t90 power armour. Raids armour is also an option but all the pubies from raids groups will make you want to murder the whole player base, they are easily the worst community in all of both versions of rs.

Arraxor is a good place to start for high level pvm but now a day's Telos is just as good an option to consider <after your 96 summoning>. Both of them have a fairly large learning curve but arraxor works out to be 10m/h on average and telos once you become proficient works out to something stupid like 60m/h for 100% enrage to death or 20m/h with really really bad luck.

As for gear immediately getting a t90 weapon should be a priority, preferably a scythe but the price is so high I don't think it's worth it so either a nox staff or bow are also fine options, the 3 mage levels off 99 wont make a noticeable difference. The t90 will more than likely pay for itself in no time so I wouldn't worry about blowing all your gp on one.

Also, You just missed your window to sell your dye for an optimal price, since theyve announced it all the dyes and some of the rares have crashed a bit from people selling for bxp money so good on you for waiting until summer!

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
What should I be on the lookout for in regards to leveling Magic? Keep my staff up to date, defense and constitution? Then just work on quests For lamps and stars and such?

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Kortel posted:

What should I be on the lookout for in regards to leveling Magic? Keep my staff up to date, defense and constitution? Then just work on quests For lamps and stars and such?

The route I usually go is Air Staff>>>Air Battle Staff>>>Mystic wand+orb>>>Obsidian Staff>>>Ahrim's staff>>>Staff of light <Chaotic staff if I have the duing level/tokens but Sol is fine tbh>>>Noxious Staff

Pretty much until Staff of light you want to keep the highest tier magic weapon you can since the accuracy bonuses are that strong and short of dungeoneering there isn't really a viable upgrade until noxious that provides enough of a damage boost to justify the cost. You could go staff of arma but it's something like 75 hours of combat to break even with the cost of air runes currently so that's up to you really.

As for defence, unless your looking for combat levels I'd stop after 75 initially. 75 unlocks ganodermic armour which is among the cheapest highest tier armour and most cost effective until ports/power armour become viable.

For stars/lamps I'd either pump them into either summoning or herblore since those are both costly+tedious to train.

Since you've just started out though there is a third option, Dominion tower. Don't get me wrong there's a bit of a grind involved but it would provide free 99 prayer+all combats and you'd even make a profit. It's locked to older accounts because there are certain quests you cant do otherwise the methods exp rates get demolished. Here is the quest list if you are interested, you do need 75 in the skill you want to level to use the dominion tower books on it but on my alt I did this on not too long ago I was getting 800k+ combat/h or 300k prayer/h with profit. It's by far the best method in game.

Here is the quest list/stats required if you are interested:
46 Agility(b)
35 Construction
35 Cooking
40 Crafting
30 Defence
29 Farming
25 Fletching
37 Herblore
50 Magic
40 Mining
45 Prayer
37 Ranged
50 Smithing
46 Strength
46 Thief
40 Woodcutting

Chosen commander, Land Of The Goblins, Another slice of H.A.M., Lost Tribe, Goblin Diplomacy, Giant Dwarf, The Dig Site, Fishing Contest, Shadow of the storm, Demon slayer, The Golem, Mountain Daughter, Diamonds in the rough, Contact!, Restless Ghost, Stolen Hearts, Ich little helper, Lost City, Priest in Peril, Nature Spirit, Haunted Mine, Dwarf Cannon, Between A Rock, Dragon Slayer, Fight Arena, Frem Trials, Holy Grail, Merlin's Crystal, Missing My Mummy, Creature Of F, Garden of Tranquility, Death Plateau, Troll Stronghold, Eadgar's Ruse, The Fued, Jungle Potion, Druidic Ritual, Troll Romance, Spirits of the Elid, Vampire Slayer, Wanted!, recruitment drive

Just don't do nomad's requim, desert treasure, Recipe for disaster, or the world wakes and you should be fine.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

allta posted:

The route I usually go is Air Staff>>>Air Battle Staff>>>Mystic wand+orb>>>Obsidian Staff>>>Ahrim's staff>>>Staff of light <Chaotic staff if I have the duing level/tokens but Sol is fine tbh>>>Noxious Staff

I just started the game and have leveled magic to 30ish. I'm using Caitlin's Staff at the moment and am still in Pathfinder gear. Any particular gear I should be looking at for leveling the first time through?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

mincedgarlic posted:

I just started the game and have leveled magic to 30ish. I'm using Caitlin's Staff at the moment and am still in Pathfinder gear. Any particular gear I should be looking at for leveling the first time through?

Buy an Air Battlestaff. They're currently 8007 GP and it's a level 30 magic weapon with unlimited air runes. It is much more accurate than Caitlins staff. If you have the crafting level you could make some spiderweb armour, or just buy it on the grand exchange.

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Shattered worlds: current best update of the year!!! Seriously go try it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

allta posted:

Shattered worlds: current best update of the year!!! Seriously go try it.

Is that the Anima Mundi stuff? Or also the Mazcab stuff.

Because both are fine, if not a bit tedious at times.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Buy an Air Battlestaff. They're currently 8007 GP and it's a level 30 magic weapon with unlimited air runes. It is much more accurate than Caitlins staff. If you have the crafting level you could make some spiderweb armour, or just buy it on the grand exchange.

This saved me a lot gold. Do you guys think the staff from Skelter is a viable way to train up until Nox?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Disparition posted:

This saved me a lot gold. Do you guys think the staff from Skelter is a viable way to train up until Nox?

No, but because you can change the level of the Skelter staff to 65/70/75, it'll carry you from the lovely 65-80 levels until you can get a Chaotic staff or another tier 80 magic weapon.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

widespread posted:

Considering it came out this Monday, neither.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

widespread posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAgcYAeaSA0

New minigame, it's really good, but a bit shallow. Once you start stacking a bunch of fun modifiers, you have to go to the chest room and reset them all. Also there's only one objective currently, which is "kill 75% enemies" in every world. I hope they add other modes or mods soon, because it feels like Jagex has been making a bunch of simple, half baked updates lately, and if people like them they'll go nuts. But because they're kind of shallow, nobody likes the updates and Jagex won't update them further.
You can also do slayer tasks in the worlds and buy SW slayer contracts. And the new ranged ability makes every Dazing Shot apply a small bleed stack and gives you the ability to detonate them for a ton of damage with Salt the Wound, a new ability.

Shattered Worlds deserves some love, because it's the first good minigame they've farted out since Trouble Brewing.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm definitely enjoying it but it does seem very minimalist. I've been half arguing with people about SW vs dungeoneering and why Jagex are striving to keep it different. It might have been better as a whole if they just tied the two together and went hogwild but I like it as is

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.
I just got my first 99 after 16 years. Divination is the most tedious crap ever, so I feel entitled to make a self-congratulatory post about it

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

of all the skills to get a first 99 in

Congratulations!

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Nausium posted:

I just got my first 99 after 16 years. Divination is the most tedious crap ever, so I feel entitled to make a self-congratulatory post about it

Goongratz

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I just need something that will tell me when I made my account. I'm pretty sure it was July 2001 and no later than August 2001.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Nausium posted:

Congrats! Now go level summoning.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

fishmech posted:

I just need something that will tell me when I made my account. I'm pretty sure it was July 2001 and no later than August 2001.

Talk to Hans in Lumbridge

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Foreskin Problems posted:

Talk to Hans in Lumbridge

Jagex didn't track account creation date before 5 May 2002.

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.
Yeah, Hans puts me mid-feb 2002, and I know for sure that I registered in 2001.

I can't remember if they started doing email verification back then, but if they did and you still have access to the email that's a way you can tell.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Psychedelicatessen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAgcYAeaSA0

New minigame, it's really good, but a bit shallow. Once you start stacking a bunch of fun modifiers, you have to go to the chest room and reset them all. Also there's only one objective currently, which is "kill 75% enemies" in every world. I hope they add other modes or mods soon, because it feels like Jagex has been making a bunch of simple, half baked updates lately, and if people like them they'll go nuts. But because they're kind of shallow, nobody likes the updates and Jagex won't update them further.
You can also do slayer tasks in the worlds and buy SW slayer contracts. And the new ranged ability makes every Dazing Shot apply a small bleed stack and gives you the ability to detonate them for a ton of damage with Salt the Wound, a new ability.

Shattered Worlds deserves some love, because it's the first good minigame they've farted out since Trouble Brewing.

It's great for ironman because the biggest kick in the dick in ironman is low level combat where you level so fast it's hard to keep up gearwise.

Is anyone having trouble with Alt1 lately? It freezes up for me and DirectX/OpenGL capture modes refuse to work.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I capped my resources at the citadel, and was told to post it here to get rich.

Here is a screenshot that includes the chat line saying I did it. Hopefully this is sufficient.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i made money on a drop it insta sold for much more than i already overpriced it to begin with http://i.imgur.com/FJxElrF.jpg?1 :homebrew:

update~ i finally got a statius warhammer drop took 3 days sold for 228m :) made like 370m in those 3 days

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 12, 2017

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Jester Mcgee posted:

I capped my resources at the citadel, and was told to post it here to get rich.

Here is a screenshot that includes the chat line saying I did it. Hopefully this is sufficient.

Currently in Bhutan on vacation, I'll pay up+ interest when I get back to the internets on Wednesday sorry about the wait!

Turmoilx posted:

update~ i finally got a statius warhammer drop took 3 days sold for 228m :) made like 370m in those 3 days

Was that with the wilderness sword for the increased drop rate and how bad were the pkers? Also gratz!

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
yeah i have wildy 4 tasks done, the pkers were pretty bad but scary af when 2 mages log in and tb you as you're doing the telly tf out animation got away from all of em.. also im so close to spend 800m (bank) on bonds right now for spins offers in ..yolo or not?? eh screw it ill just do 81m worth
http://imgur.com/a/1VxtY rip cash stack dun spent it all in one place again, ill post a video or something of the stuff /doing spins

nevermind did my spins and i suck waste of 81m wortha bonds because i didnt get 7x 200m thanks jagex all your fault! lol gambling :tif:

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 16, 2017

allta
Mar 28, 2011
So I guess I got hacked today/last night for somewhere around 1.7b, that is including the clan fund. I'll be able to rebuild that's not the issue but withe the exception of jester mcgee who I still owe back payment to and keep missing in game I am temporarily suspending cit payments until I can get the clanb fund to a more sustainable level.

Also completely unrelated to the above:
:siren:CLAN EVENT TOMORROW AT 1 GAME TIME:siren:
<1 hour after reset>

Drinks will be served as well as prizes and anyone who attends will get something. If you don't know where the foresters arms is it is the one in seers.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Will there be snacks?

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Omnikin posted:

Will there be snacks?

Why of course! Only the finest dwarven and gnomish snacks gelinor has to offer!

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Clan event starts in an hour, we are meeting up in the seers village pub before migrating to my poh next to the taverly lodestone. Today's event will be clue!

Here is my ms paint map of the rooms and the items related to them. All the normal cards of the game have been replaced with items!

And here is the checkoff detective notepad I made in like 5 minutes:

I would recommend using ms paint to tick off the boxes of cards and items you've found. I'll be handling all the dice rolls on my end since jagex removed the dice bag but other than that this should work well. Also for the shortcut just run through it and into the next room, I really wish jagex would let you put trapdoors in random poh rooms.

Also if you need a refresher on how clue works here are the rules.

Remember everyone who shows up gets a prize or something!

Edit:

allta fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 27, 2017

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.
That was a lot of fun, we definitely need to have a more defined set of rules specific to the runescape version.

The movement stuff was also confusing, but once it got figured out it made sense.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Sad I missed it, hope it went well.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

I know the game is very old, but after giving up on Albion Online I fired up RS3 last night. Never played OSR for more than a few minutes way back when. Looking for some mindless fun with quests and mob killing.

Is this game still relevant?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Breidr posted:

I know the game is very old, but after giving up on Albion Online I fired up RS3 last night. Never played OSR for more than a few minutes way back when. Looking for some mindless fun with quests and mob killing.

Is this game still relevant?

Yea I mean it's still like on the top 10 of current active mmos for playerbase

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:

Following an OSRS update today.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Drowning seems more appealing than watching an OSRS livestream

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
so i started playing this(rs3) because it will load via RDP from work and the occasional fps drop because the connection gets lovely isn't too bad. Can I afk my skills up? Or do you have to actively play this game?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

so i started playing this(rs3) because it will load via RDP from work and the occasional fps drop because the connection gets lovely isn't too bad. Can I afk my skills up? Or do you have to actively play this game?

Some skills are at least semi-afkable (tabbing in every few minutes to hammer drop fish, or burn logs, etc). Some are even better, such as high level combat skills (about every 10 minutes to reset aggro on abyss). Others don't need full attention to do, but are very slow if you're only coming back every 5-10 minutes (divination, runecrafting, prayer), while dungeoneering requires you to actively play to make progress (since you need to complete dungeons to get experience).

e: the new patch added a new area that allows you to both grind xp and rep for factions at the same time (mostly afk) which will be certainly worth your time to do.

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Just think that some j mod spent at least a week on this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Big ole lizard tiddies