Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Friendship with the titans who were definitely going to be agreeable to us! Like all the other ones I've ever met in 600 hours of gameplay!

Then it got all Pacific Rim up in here so it worked out in the end:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SkySteak posted:

I remember when the game came out that Xenophile was fun a 'RP' based ethic that was not that viable otherwise. Has that changed at all with Banks/Utopia?

Xenophile always was great. Federation everyone in the early game, once you've used them to take a large enough chunk to destroy any single other entity in the galaxy alone, disband the fed fleet and leave :v:

Or just stay in and go for the 60% fed victory.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
when i had the titanic lifeform rebellion event fire, i had a space station over the planet and it gave control of the station to the lifeforms. unfortunately it didnt then let the giant monsters loose into the galaxy but i did have to blow it up to get my planet back :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SkySteak posted:

I remember when the game came out that Xenophile was fun a 'RP' based ethic that was not that viable otherwise. Has that changed at all with Banks/Utopia?

It's still pretty mediocre. Lots of inconsistent flavour bits. Minimal bonuses. Xenophile pops benefiting from multicultural societies is basically gone. Migration is kind of broken.

The fed thing mentioned above can actually be done just as easy if not easier with other builds.

Xenophobe is better than ever though.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did you rival them? That auto-closes borders.

Turns out I was at war with someone else. The war ended and I could add the awakened empire to my federation. They then went active and bee lined for the dimensional portal and closed it. The other remnant empire in the game then war dec'd amfederation ally so I managed to wipe them out with the awakened. Now it's pretty much me owning the north and another powerful minor controlling the south.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
All of you were mostly on the mark with your unity comments, I was just trying to brainstorm something a tall empire could actually leverage into an advantage. But really it seems more planets = good in most cases unless you really know what you're trying to do.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah the main problem with xenophile now is that it doesn't do anything. I guess back when federation forming was a tech it probably had a higher weight for xeno empires, but now with it being a tradition it's simple to just take it as literally anything else.

As mentioned migration is pretty broken, you can have a bunch of attraction buffs present and a migration treaty and the other empire will still have pops happily migrating to 40% habitable planets inside its own borders.

The xenophile benefits are a bonus to trust growth and a reduction in diplomatic influence cost. Those are both pretty useless. Trust is gated at maximum anyway and it doesn't take that long to get there, and even if you have an empire at 200 opinion it will still refuse to join your federation because it doesn't like one of the other members. Fart.

As far as civics go, Xenophile can net you:

1. 50% migration attraction (does not matter)
2. Literally that's it. It locks you out of one that gives you +15% naval capacity if you're fanatic though.

As it stands now xenophile seems like something that just blanket shouldn't be in the game. It doesn't interact with any other system in any significant way.

Ideally:

1. Xenophile should let you steal pops from other empires as refugees even without migration treaties.
1a. Migration attraction should actually work.
2. Xenophile empires should be able to bypass the "Hates other guy -1000" penalty when inviting into a federation.

There's talk about refining the federation system and adding something like a federation congress where things are voted on or whatever, that could be a good gamespace to let xenophiles shine, but right now they're literally worse than useless.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Tried a couple new big mods today:

1) People who like Alphamod are loving nuts. Nothing like dealing with a dozen different resources that you generate via buildings and spend on other buildings/spaceport modules for 1% gains. Thrilling. Or how about all those useless asteroids never worth colonizing? Or the large uninhabitable worlds who you spend the extra slots you'd get over a normal planet just improving the habitability so you can use them?

2) Zenith of the Fallen Empire may sound interesting but it turns Awakened Empires and the War In Heaven into game enders. On the one hand it was nice seeing them being an actual challenge, on the other hand I don't see any way you could beat a Awakened Empire short of a co-op game focused around building up to that conclusion.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

nessin posted:

1) People who like Alphamod are loving nuts. Nothing like dealing with a dozen different resources that you generate via buildings and spend on other buildings/spaceport modules for 1% gains. Thrilling. Or how about all those useless asteroids never worth colonizing? Or the large uninhabitable worlds who you spend the extra slots you'd get over a normal planet just improving the habitability so you can use them?

it seems like pretty much every successful strategy game gets at least one enormous garbage megamod along these lines

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I can always appreciate a work chain ala a Settlers game(Bias; I like the Settlers games). The problem is it's got to be...worthwhile. I mean, the Settlers primary work chain is getting your mines to produce ore via food that you turn into tools, weapons, and gold to expand with.

Can the AI handle such building chains, do you know?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 2, 2017

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

SkySteak posted:

I actually just finished a Fanatic Xenophile - Materialist ironman run that was pretty fun. Lots of easy diplomacy.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it seems like pretty much every successful strategy game gets at least one enormous garbage megamod along these lines

Steppe Wolf for EU3, MEIOU and Taxes for EU4, Rise of Mankind for Civ 4, Wake of the Gods for Heroes of Might and Magic 3...I think you might be right.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rhye's and Fall for Civ IV was great! I mean it changed the game a ton; it wasn't trying to give an enhanced vanilla experience but instead did its own thing. It was like Civ mechanics had been convincingly imported to a historicalish scenario. Too bad civ 5 modding was so crappy. :(

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 2, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alphamod needs work but it's not completely terrible. Asteroids by themselves are pretty useless but you can rig them together through edicts which eats an asteroid in the system and adds 4 more slots to the colony. Utopia has obviously introduced a ton of issues for the mod because it's basically the 'go wide' mod but you get punished for it with scaling unity costs.

My main issue with it is the tech tree which isn't put together very well. For asteroids you unlock the technologies for farms, mines, power plants etc. individually instead of giving you a big tech that says asteroids are now a thing, go nuts. A lot of technologies are just single items that add very little. The modder is absolutely crazy going by his steam comments though.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

GlyphGryph posted:

It's still pretty mediocre. Lots of inconsistent flavour bits. Minimal bonuses. Xenophile pops benefiting from multicultural societies is basically gone. Migration is kind of broken.

The fed thing mentioned above can actually be done just as easy if not easier with other builds.

It's better than launch where Individualist looked good but always turned out to be hot loving garbage, and playing FanCol/Spi was overpowered as poo poo I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nessin posted:

I would suggest not spending the resources on those things if they aren't useful to your situation. Also I would suggest not colonizing everything just because it's there. Barren worlds actually can have massive mineral/energy/science outputs if you build enough planetary survey corps to really fill them out. There are also a lot of exo buildings which provide habitability along with resource outputs so it's more a matter of just developing the planet generally. Pick big planets and they reach 100% habitability really easily while being able to house max tier science labs and/or massive amounts of natural fuels/mineral production.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 2, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Generally when you develop planets in Alphamod you want to be planning ahead a little. Planets with 16+ population can support mega cities which are ridiculously strong labs/mines/powerplants. They require a ton of things for upkeep but an arcology has a base output of 17 to each science type. What I usually do is I'll identify these planets quickly and start developing them with cities in mind and then I'll develop two support planets whose purpose is entirely to create water (cities need water) and plop down a mineral processor and fusion power plant. The fusion plant generates a microfusion core which lets you power a building that gives some pretty strong buffs of your choice to a planet. A planetary capital upgrades to mining/research/commerce/farming capital which gives a huge bonus to those for the entire planet. Then when I've developed the entire chain I'll put the planets in a sector, disallow redevelopment and move on.

Alphamod also removes the influence cost to remove a system from a sector so you're encouraged to go back every now and again and optimize these setups with new tech unlocks. It's not uncommon for an asteroid colony to be producing 100+ minerals and they are by far the simplest specialization chain. You can create some ridiculously tall builds with this mod, which is something I enjoy.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 2, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

AlphaMod is just one of those mods that gives you infinite options... and the impact of any choice is negligible.

For some people that is what they want. They want a billion levers to pull, even if those levers aren't connected to anything.

That is exactly what I don't like though. I don't want 100 options that at +5% to this and -5% to that to net out to nothing. I want a few big, power levers that make an impact when used.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ideally it needs to be given a niche that isn't just "lovely eagletarian".

Maybe I'll put a mod together for this. Don't know how hard it would be. Let's see...

Here's an off the cuff wishlist for Xenophile:
- Grant bonuses to unity production based on the number of species in your empire.
- Unity building that grants bonuses to production based on the number of species on the planet.
- Alien Pets grant an Empire-Wide bonus instead of a local bonus.
- Generating food from alien pops grants a happiness bonus (due to its exotic nature)
- Happiness penalty to single species planets.
- All genetic techs are 25/50% cheaper and have their chance to appear doubled/tripled.
- All habitability techs are 50/99% cheaper and have their chance to appear doubled/tripled.
- Additional Xenophile factions added to compete with the current Eagletarian one - a Xenophile-spiritualist (reach out and enlighten the xenos), a Xenophile-authoritarian/militarist (move aggressively to rule the xenos) and a Xenophile-materialist (study the primitive xenos from a distance to learn of the arc of history, non-interference, prime directive stuff)
- The addition of a "Vivisection Building". Gain +4 biological research from every species on the planet.
- "Alien Preserve" edict. Prevents migration from a planet, prevents pop growth, but has massive migration attraction for species that aren't already on it. Having an alien preserve makes Xeno faction pop happy.
- Happiness bonus on new colonies for xeno-pops - "Fresh Surroundings".

And then the big one: Allows the player to start on a Gaia-world.

If I can, I might just do a quick mod that does the last one and the tech ones.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 2, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Xae posted:

AlphaMod is just one of those mods that gives you infinite options... and the impact of any choice is negligible.

For some people that is what they want. They want a billion levers to pull, even if those levers aren't connected to anything.

That is exactly what I don't like though. I don't want 100 options that at +5% to this and -5% to that to net out to nothing. I want a few big, power levers that make an impact when used.

The post immediately above yours demonstrates how untrue that is, though? Alphamod lets you get stronk as gently caress.

Then again I think Caveman 2 Cosmos is one of the greatest mods to ever grace the Internet so I know I'm a broken individual. :v:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

GlyphGryph posted:

Ideally it needs to be given a niche that isn't just "lovely eagletarian".

Maybe I'll put a mod together for this. Don't know how hard it would be. Let's see...

Here's an off the cuff wishlist for Xenophile:

Sounds like decent ideas.

quote:

- The addition of a "Vivisection Building". Gain +4 biological research from every species on the planet.

...wait, what.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

So what you're saying basically is that Egalitarian is essentially a better pick in general?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rincewinds posted:

...wait, what.

Presumably GlyphGryph intends that one to also require not-egalitarian or something.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Xenophile might work better if they just let you start with two species on two planets. Kind of like Syncretic Evolution, but with a whole second planet... and, you know, not slaves. Make the other a smaller, lovely planet - maybe yours too even - but you can set the other planet and species to a different planet type. Gives you a second planet band to colonize out the door.

That or you just start in a federation with another newbie NPC empire, each with an 'embassy' pop of the other's type.

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 2, 2017

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I love aliens so much. I need... to be... inside them.

Coldbird posted:

Xenophile might work better if they just let you start with two species on two planets. Kind of like Syncretic Evolution, but with a whole second planet... and, you know, not slaves. Make the other a smaller, lovely planet - maybe yours too even - but you can set the other planet and species to a different planet type. Gives you a second planet band to colonize out the door.

That or you just start in a federation with another newbie NPC empire, each with an 'embassy' pop of the other's type.

Those are both pretty good ideas, actually. Maybe give them -1 to planets for purposes of unity/tech though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rincewinds posted:

...wait, what.

GG wants xenophile to be either "we love aliens" or "we are the space equivalent of 17th century naturalists who set out to discover, classify, and then eat as much exotic wildlife as possible"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How is this game now that the expansion is out?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah I want to break it out of being so connected to one specific other ethos and give it opportunities to synergize with all the other ethos's.

I wonder how complex you can get with the building requirements. Could I make one that says "Xenophile AND (Materialist OR Authoritarian) AND NOT Elegetarian"

Authoritarians get the Vivisection plant, Materialists get a building that recreates environmental conditions and isolates pops as primitive tribes for study purposes (a common sci-fi trope), and call it a behavioural research center for cooperative synergies for everyone else.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

Could I make one that says "Xenophile AND (Materialist OR Authoritarian) AND NOT Elegetarian"
Yes!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
1.7.0 spoilers: all ethoses to be replaced with six different misspellings of "egalitarian"

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Thing is for some reason they decided to take away the ethos specific buildings and put them into the Unity tree instead

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Andrast posted:

How is this game now that the expansion is out?

It's ok.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

1.7.0 spoilers: all ethoses to be replaced with six different misspellings of "egalitarian"

Elegetarians are a society that centers around composing elaborate funeral poetry, Eagletarians are a society where you acquire rank the better at falconry you are.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

Elegetarians are a society that centers around composing elaborate funeral poetry, Eagletarians are a society where you acquire rank the better at falconry you are.
Civics: Egretocracy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

The post immediately above yours demonstrates how untrue that is, though? Alphamod lets you get stronk as gently caress.

Then again I think Caveman 2 Cosmos is one of the greatest mods to ever grace the Internet so I know I'm a broken individual. :v:

Case in point.

This is an asteroid colony. I picked the asteroid with 75% mineral bonus, hollowed it out and combined it with 3 empty asteroids through edict decision. This single asteroid produces 156 minerals per month thanks to a prole species I took off an empire with syncretic evolution and gene modded to be industrious and have asteroid preference. I haven't unlocked mining capitals yet but when I do I can combine that with a mining planet designation and this colony will probably produce 500+ minerals per month.

Which is ridiculous.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

well the typical pattern for this kind of mod is to have a ton of minor boring options and also to have some number of massively unbalanced options

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

well the typical pattern for this kind of mod is to have a ton of minor boring options and also to have some number of massively unbalanced options

Alphamod trends towards a bunch of massively powerful options for different ethics options, and some situationally useful stuff.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How many more years until they introduce a Balanced Starts option? It is not fun to start the game with zero resources in your home system.

A Stranger
Sep 14, 2010
Game is much better now. Still filled with bugs and imbalances and general annoyances but somehow still enjoyable enough to waste way too much time on.
I don't see this mentioned very often, what with the focus being on fixing all the general imbalances and stuff, but something minor which would add a lot of flavor and depth to the game is an overhaul of the governor system. Every planet and sector should just come with a standard governor picked from the starting pops (or maybe the pops available once you build the first planetary administration building), have his/her/its own ethos and a bunch of events and interactions based on their personality. Maybe even opinion modifiers? You should probably still be able to swap them out for new ones at an influence cost. In any case, just a tiny hint of ck2 stuff in the game. Once this basic system is in place they could start making diplomacy actually interesting and viable by making covert overtures to foreign sector/planet governors possible et cetera et cetera. This way the ethics system could also become much more important and interesting. Can't imagine they haven't thought of this, the leader system seems to have been explicitly made with this reasoning in mind. Hope they dedicate some attention to this after banks. Honestly I find it a little strange no-one made a mod like this yet, seems like a lot would be possible even with the current system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Does anyone know how to make disloyal subjects loyal again. The favorable trade deal isn't cutting it. They were a quarter of my fleet power but now won't help in any wars. Relatively, how is relative power of subjects calculated?

• Locked thread