Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Pod People has some funny riffs (in a very laid-back style), but it's the host segments that make it. From "Hideous Control" to the Hearts of Space parody to "You are magic, aren't you Trumpy?" and finally, Clown in the Sky. Just gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
"Hike your pants up to the sky " made me laugh so much because they never mentioned it in the theatre. I was waiting and waiting and then the payoff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Pod People has some funny riffs (in a very laid-back style), but it's the host segments that make it. From "Hideous Control" to the Hearts of Space parody to "You are magic, aren't you Trumpy?" and finally, Clown in the Sky. Just gold.

"You're magic, aren't you, Trumpy?" is probably always going to be the funniest host segment.

I agree that the new ones are more hit than miss, though. They sort of hone the goofiness to move through them quickly, so the weirder ones, you're left saying "What did I just watch?" rather than "Why am I still watching this?" The raccoon sketch in particular is one that would have worn out its welcome really fast, but moved through it really quickly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tom and Crow playing Wolf and Bear is one of my favorite host segments

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bicyclops posted:

"You're magic, aren't you, Trumpy?" is probably always going to be the funniest host segment.

I feel that the raccoon segment from Cry Wilderness is like a spiritual successor.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Four episodes in and it already feels like home again. It's weird hearing riffs about things like video games and Lost, but then again when I used to watch MST3K I was a kid and I'm sure any references were meant more for my parents. Now I am the parent.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just finished Hercules. I lost it at every "Speak" joke.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

precision posted:

Tom and Crow playing Wolf and Bear is one of my favorite host segments

And I tried a savage, feral roar, but, alas, my force was spent and I died!

Not a fan of most host segments, but that one is pretty great

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

You people bring matches for Mikey?

(contains the second best Crow freakout after being set on fire in Danger! Death Ray)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7fKab9XpW0

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bruteman posted:

You people bring matches for Mikey?

(contains the second best Crow freakout after being set on fire in Danger! Death Ray)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7fKab9XpW0

I don't care what anyone says, the Mike years had the absolute best host segments. Jonah's segments range from bland to bad, but I don't mind since they're so short.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lowtax is talking poo poo about Joel to Jonah on Twitter. I don't know what to make of this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That he's a jealous wash out.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Still waiting for that new Rifftrax movie Lowtax promised back in what... 2011?

Back to host segments I think someone pointed out earlier that now that we don't have a commercial sign break, it leads to the segments more often ending on a frantic, jarring note. And with the shorter segments you're stuck seeing the doorway sequence twice in about two minutes. I think that's a major factor as to why most of the new host segments don't feel quite right compared to the old show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Lowtax is talking poo poo about Joel to Jonah on Twitter. I don't know what to make of this.

He's literally doing a for-real Joel vs Mike thing and, while it sucks if someone he knew had a bad experience with Joel, it's pretty funny because Jonah's obviously interacted with both of them. (And the 'Mike got a raw deal' thing is absurd considering the show got rescued by Sci-Fi while Mike was on board, plus well, Rifftrax's existence)

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think segments being really short, aside from shooting them in two days apparently, may have had to do with running time. The episodes are still 90 minutes without commercials, but it feels like they may be cutting a lot less of the movies. I'm wondering if Joel wanted to keep episodes the same length to have things feel the same and just decided to cut down on host segments instead of the movies.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
There's also 4 minutes of kickstarter credits that eat into the runtime.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This Santa episode is giving me cramps.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love they mention Hark a Vagrant in the opening credits for The Christmas That Almost Wasn't. I can't find the tweet but Kate Beaton was super happy about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

He's literally doing a for-real Joel vs Mike thing and, while it sucks if someone he knew had a bad experience with Joel, it's pretty funny because Jonah's obviously interacted with both of them. (And the 'Mike got a raw deal' thing is absurd considering the show got rescued by Sci-Fi while Mike was on board, plus well, Rifftrax's existence)

Mike probably launched the best career out of all of them.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Jack Gladney posted:

Mike probably launched the best career out of all of them.

And if I were Mike, and I did have some kind of bad feelings, I wouldn't want someone airing my dirty laundry on Twitter.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't find the bad tweets but maybe that's for the best.

e: I found them, they are embarrassing, that must be extremely awkward for Jonah. He's being about as professional as you can be about it, I guess.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 3, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched The Atomic Brain.

What the hell did I just watch? :stare:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's been a long time since I've seen that episode, but I still crack up thinking about the worst attempt at a British accent I've ever heard. "Aye'm from Ayengland!"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKdz7BEXDA

Found this fun little documentary on the mkaing of Manos, the Hands of Fate, featuring the guy smooching in the car. Spoiler, Torgo was on a poo poo load of drugs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Not surprising, given what happened to poor Torgo. :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Watching Final Justice for the first in a long time and christ this skit is funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZAvEAZs-o

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like how Bill gradually gives up trying to do the higher pitched Crow-voice as he starts getting harsher with the insults

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think you'll find the best host segments are when Tom wears some kind of little hat.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HopperUK posted:

I think you'll find the best host segments are when Tom wears some kind of little hat.

Or head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xtHb-Si_Vs

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Slowly making my way through the new episodes. Is it just me, or did "Hitler Coffee" feel like it had the EXACT cadence of a Trace and Frank exchange?

Either way, great job making that funny without bringing up the whole Final Solution thing that kids might not be ready to process. "Hidden Argentinian bean fields," holy poo poo.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKdz7BEXDA

Found this fun little documentary on the mkaing of Manos, the Hands of Fate, featuring the guy smooching in the car. Spoiler, Torgo was on a poo poo load of drugs.

Just FYI a lot of info in this doc is inaccurate/hearsay. The Manos restored bluray release has much better documentary material on it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yay, just got notification that the last of my physical rewards are shipping! :woop:

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yay, just got notification that the last of my physical rewards are shipping! :woop:

Still waiting on the physical media and ~mystery gift~.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Me too. Just waiting for the Bluray.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The only physical rewards I have left are the mug, keychain, and stickers since I was "only" at the $100 level.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

The only physical rewards I have left are the mug, keychain, and stickers since I was "only" at the $100 level.

I'm glad they skimped on rewards. I mean obviously I wish I was getting more merch, because sure yay more merch, but nothing sucks more than when Kickstarter campaigns underestimate how expensive merch actually is, and admit later that they had to spend a ton of the budget allocated for real production, on making a bunch of lovely t-shirts. I think they did it right. I feel like the money I pledged legitimately helped fund the production of a TV show, a good feeling.

(Edit: oops to be clear, I don't mean to say YOU feel like they skimped or anything. My post isn't meant to be oppositional or anything, it just reminded me that I was happy with how they ran the campaign so I mentioned it!)

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 3, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ja2ke posted:

I'm glad they skimped on rewards. I mean obviously I wish I was getting more merch, because sure yay more merch, but nothing sucks more than when Kickstarter campaigns underestimate how expensive merch actually is, and admit later that they had to spend a ton of the budget allocated for real production, on making a bunch of lovely t-shirts. I think they did it right. I feel like the money I pledged legitimately helped fund the production of a TV show, a good feeling.

(Edit: oops to be clear, I don't mean to say YOU feel like they skimped or anything. My post isn't meant to be oppositional or anything, it just reminded me that I was happy with how they ran the campaign so I mentioned it!)

Oh, no, belive me, as someone who saw add-ons tank countless tabletop RPG kickstarters, I'm all for keeping physical rewards to a minimum. It happens a lot less often nowadays since the harsh examples have been made, but a few years ago you'd see people going "we need $X000 to publish our book, but we also want to do custom dice and t-shirts and bumper stickers and beer steins and and and" without any thought as to how much that stuff would actually cost.

(And yes, those examples are all from failed RPG kickstarters)

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Am I remembering wrong, or is there a lot more singing this season than in the old ones? I'm not complaining, I just think its an interesting part of Jonah's style

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Jonah Ray just did a guest section on the My Brother, My Brother and Me podcast. He talks mostly about zombies and only briefly about MST3K, but it might be of interest. For instance, If you ever wanted to know whether they use an actual theatre, now's your chance to find out!

MBMBaM 353 - Skip to 39 minutes if you don't have the time to listen to my friends, the McElroy Brothers, joking about Family Matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I loved the sarcastic "So how does it work? Do you go to a REAL theater?" that quickly evolved into "No, but seriously how does it work?"