Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It's awful, it sucks, and it needs to stop. It''s been like this for over 3 years and it's all because of Roman.

It's the worst thing in WWE and has been for years and yes I'm including Roman.

You realize these two statements are contradictory right? How can something that is, by your admission, entirely Roman's fault be worse than Roman when the thing itself is part of the Roman problem?

The first year of Brock's post-streak push was perfect, with the only problem with the whole thing being Roman. If Daniel Bryan had fought Brock at that Mania instead and everything else had played out identically, it would be remembered as an all-time classic instead of a surprisingly great match that defied expectations of disaster but nonetheless was the start of the current troubles.

The second year of Brock's push was a nightmare because they refused to follow through with Brock's natural face turn despite starting to do so at the Raw After Mania and then torched Rollins and Ambrose's credibility and forced those crap Undertaker rematches that should have never happened in an effort to get Heel Heat back on him. I wonder why they wouldn't allow Brock to be a face? Who could they have possibly been trying to protect by not allowing that...

The Third Year of Brock's push was great other than the Orton debacle. The Orton thing was yet another attempt to force heat onto him for Roman's ultimate benefit, which is why it was the only poo poo part. The feud with Goldberg was brilliant. The only thing tainting it was the revelation before Mania even happened that they were already gearing up for Brock Roman II to main event the NEXT Mania.

Roman is 85% of the problem if not more. I don't even like Brock and I can see that the bile you keep spitting his way is exaggerated and misplaced in the extreme. If you really think "The Suplex City Match," is THAT terrible, fine, I won't deny you that opinion, but Brock's BOOKING in the macro sense has been correct and all the things wrong with it are external and entirely to be lain at Roman's feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
roman isnt booking himself what do you want him to do, say sorry vince i should be midcard i quit. freakin lol, idiot

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MotU posted:

roman isnt booking himself what do you want him to do, say sorry vince i should be midcard i quit. freakin lol, idiot

I'm not blaming Roman personally, I'm blaming the fact that what the people who make the show are doing with Roman filters down into every other booking decision and makes the entire show worse, even the best parts. Thanks for insulting me for no reason though, that was super necessary. I'm not here talking to someone who wants Brock Lesnar to retire forever because that will somehow make wrestling better and trying to explain why his reasoning is flawed or anything, so surely I must be idiotically blaming the performer for dumb poo poo that is Vince's fault.

Glad I got to start my day off being spat at.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MotU posted:

Reminder that when given the choice between cheering for Roman and the man who convinced Vince that Roman is the guy, people who dislike that Roman is being pushed so hard chose to cheer for the person behind the push.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Sanguinia posted:

what on earth

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Roman is good

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Sanguinia posted:

I'm not blaming Roman personally, I'm blaming the fact that what the people who make the show are doing with Roman filters down into every other booking decision and makes the entire show worse, even the best parts. Thanks for insulting me for no reason though, that was super necessary. I'm not here talking to someone who wants Brock Lesnar to retire forever because that will somehow make wrestling better and trying to explain why his reasoning is flawed or anything, so surely I must be idiotically blaming the performer for dumb poo poo that is Vince's fault.

Way to take a joke

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
idek what people's problem with Roman is now other than crowds boo him and there's other guys they'd rather see pushed ahead of him. the former shouldn't matter to your own opinion and the latter is at best letting perfect be the enemy of good (and I'm not convinced there's a better guy for the role right now anyway)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody's biting, you don't have to keep trying.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MotU posted:

Lou Gherig took himself out of the game, if Roman were truly the Big Dog he claims to be, he would do the same. :colbert:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Whoa there, bike pedals weren't meant to go in reverse that hard

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Roman is good but his booking is poo poo and makes me actively hate him.

Brock is good but his booking is poo poo and makes me actively hate him.

Just clearing that up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't think of anyone in WWE booked better than Brock since at least the start of the Goldberg feud. The only real candidate is Braun.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 1, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I can't think of anyone in WWE booked better than Brock since at least the start of the Goldberg feud.

Brock himself is booked well. It's that his booking takes such a gigantic poo poo on the rest of the card that it's​ awful.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

VJeff posted:

Lou Gherig took himself out of the game, if Roman were truly the Big Dog he claims to be, he would do the same. :colbert:

chris benoit took himself out of the game too and look what people say about him

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MotU posted:

chris benoit took himself out of the game too and look what people say about him

You'd probably get a ten thousand person march to Roman's funeral to chant "YOU DESERVE IT" at the casket.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

RIP rosey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtfcOlr0tk

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

but theyre both dead.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Spermgod posted:

Roman is a lot better wrestler and more charismatic than Finn

Spermgod damning with faint praise as always.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MotU posted:

It IS his fault that he sucks though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think another problem with Roman is he has not evolved at all. Look at the other two members of the Shield, they have changed so much from what they were in the group and still are changing now. Where Roman still has the same theme, gear and limited move set. It makes everything he does bland and predictable and his matches extremely basic.

Now granted you can have a great match with just a few moves as the Brock/Goldberg Mania match proved but that was also less than 5 minutes and a rarity.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Djarum posted:

I think another problem with Roman is he has not evolved at all. Look at the other two members of the Shield, they have changed so much from what they were in the group and still are changing now. Where Roman still has the same theme, gear and limited move set. It makes everything he does bland and predictable and his matches extremely basic.

Now granted you can have a great match with just a few moves as the Brock/Goldberg Mania match proved but that was also less than 5 minutes and a rarity.

How can he evolve and still find a way to wear a girdle?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Muddy Burphy posted:

How can he evolve and still find a way to wear a girdle?

According to WWE Champions, he just needs 15 bottles of steroids, 10 sheep masks, 2 Kane masks, and 10 dumbells.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Spermgod posted:

idek what people's problem with Roman is now other than crowds boo him and there's other guys they'd rather see pushed ahead of him. the former shouldn't matter to your own opinion and the latter is at best letting perfect be the enemy of good (and I'm not convinced there's a better guy for the role right now anyway)

He's not a particularly interesting wrestler in any way. His primary attribute is being "THE guy", and like nothing else. And uh the rock's cousin

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Kawalimus posted:

He's not a particularly interesting wrestler in any way. His primary attribute is being "THE guy", and like nothing else. And uh the rock's cousin

I'm probably beating a dead horse here but having him turn heel and be a straight up evil gently caress (as opposed to just sort of smug) would solve this problem.

Whatever Roman is cool and I like him but he needs something new.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There's a real inconsistency problem here too. From the Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania, he was just acting like a smug prick 100% of the time, whether it was to Braun, Undertaker, or whatever else. Then he retires the Undertaker, the most beloved guy in the entire company, and the night after, he's a smug prick again to the audience and a bunch of people cream their pants over what a great job he did standing there and not doing anything for five minutes.

Then they're immediately trying to get sympathy and casting him as an underdog. Like, what the gently caress? No, he just retired the loving Undertaker, nobody is gonna feel bad for him. Unless they actually wanted people to cheer "YOU DESERVE IT" at him getting his rear end kicked because durr hurr a reaction's a reaction context is meaningless.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 2, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

and a bunch of people cream their pants over what a great job he did standing there and not doing anything for five minutes.

wait did they seriously do the loving Eddie Guerrero sit there quietly 'promo' thing after he beat the poo poo out of Rey, but with Roman goddamn Reigns? :psyduck:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

DJExile posted:

wait did they seriously do the loving Eddie Guerrero sit there quietly 'promo' thing after he beat the poo poo out of Rey, but with Roman goddamn Reigns? :psyduck:

No he came out the night after Mania and kept trying to start talking and the audience would just keep booing each time and then he just said "it's my yard now" and left. It took literally ten minutes and it was actually kind of great, but then once the hardcore Mania people went home they were just like "ok he's a regular rear end babyface again."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DJExile posted:

He stood in the ring while the crowd loudly booed, chanted "DELETE", "gently caress YOU ROMAN", "YOU SUCK", "rear end in a top hat", "SHUT THE gently caress UP", "GO AWAY" and etc for like a full five minutes.

Then he said "This is my yard now." and left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyJh5pv3vzs

Then Graves said "IT'S THE RAW AFTER MANIA, YOU CHEER THE PERSON YOU NORMALLY BOO, YOU BOO THE PERSON YOU NORMALLY CHEER!" and then next week, it was right back to underdog babyface Roman.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Overdoing the underdog stuff was also a problem for Cena, especially in that period where he was getting really negative reactions. It's like every feud would be "Can John Cena overcome these odds" when he's been handling all comers clean for months now. If you're gonna have a dominant face it's probably a bad idea to also sell him as an underdog. But that sort of thing is the only thing that will potentially invest people in a guy like Reigns as a face.

Heel turn could work but I don't see him ever transitioning from that to the featured face of the company or what have you like a guy like the Rock did. I just don't think Reigns has that potential, though they desperately want him to.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean let's be real here, Roman's two best qualities in Vince's eyes probably are
1) He looks like an action figure
2) He's never, ever, ever going to pull a Rock/Punk/Cena and bail on Vince to do other stuff.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

VJeff posted:

There's a real inconsistency problem here too. From the Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania, he was just acting like a smug prick 100% of the time, whether it was to Braun, Undertaker, or whatever else. Then he retires the Undertaker, the most beloved guy in the entire company, and the night after, he's a smug prick again to the audience and a bunch of people cream their pants over what a great job he did standing there and not doing anything for five minutes.

Then they're immediately trying to get sympathy and casting him as an underdog. Like, what the gently caress? No, he just retired the loving Undertaker, nobody is gonna feel bad for him. Unless they actually wanted people to cheer "YOU DESERVE IT" at him getting his rear end kicked because durr hurr a reaction's a reaction context is meaningless.

It's been said many times that Vince cares primarily about if guys get a reaction, not the nature of that reaction. and why not? it shows fans are invested, and the company is making money hand over fist anyway. I know people desperately want the Roman push to be a demonstrable failure but it just isn't on either a business or creative level.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah but it's not anything about Roman Reigns inherently that's getting the reaction, it's the booking the guy has that people are pissed off at.

The most Roman himself has done to get the reaction he has is be kinda lame at promos and wrestling relatively to his peers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Karmine posted:

No he came out the night after Mania and kept trying to start talking and the audience would just keep booing each time and then he just said "it's my yard now" and left. It took literally ten minutes and it was actually kind of great, but then once the hardcore Mania people went home they were just like "ok he's a regular rear end babyface again."

aaaah ok that makes a bit more sense

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hasn't attendance and ratings been going down pretty consistently too? I mean sure it may not look bad initially because they have their hands in other pots but eventually people are going to get annoyed and go elsewhere.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Nothing that you couldn't justifiably attribute to declining live event ratings in general. Network numbers would probably be the best metric and they seem turbulent but predictable.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

VJeff posted:

Yeah but it's not anything about Roman Reigns inherently that's getting the reaction, it's the booking the guy has that people are pissed off at.

The most Roman himself has done to get the reaction he has is be kinda lame at promos and wrestling relatively to his peers.

if it works it works :shrug:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

VJeff posted:

Then Graves said "IT'S THE RAW AFTER MANIA, YOU CHEER THE PERSON YOU NORMALLY BOO, YOU BOO THE PERSON YOU NORMALLY CHEER!"

I have to imagine all the actually over faces are thrilled about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The_Rob posted:

Hasn't attendance and ratings been going down pretty consistently too? I mean sure it may not look bad initially because they have their hands in other pots but eventually people are going to get annoyed and go elsewhere.

I seem to recall at one point before the brand split they were doing two house show circuits (which is normal) and the one headlined by Reigns was practically getting lapped by the one headlined by Dean and it was hilarious. It only got worse when the split happened, I think. Wasn't there a RAW PPV that didn't even come close to selling out while the SmackDown PPV later that month had already done so?