Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

RCarr posted:

Only the truly great players can tell when they are on a fast break.

Sheriff posted:

J.R. Smith seems like he'd be a fun friend to have but maybe take an Uber

Lol

Brolander fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

Sheriff posted:

J.R. Smith seems like he'd be a fun friend to have but maybe take an Uber

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Tae posted:

I think the bigger issue for the Spurs is that they shot less than 40% against the Rockets defense.

Sometimes it's not your night, and then it's not your night for three other nights and you lose and uh that hurts a little I guess but it's a new era so whatever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was daydreaming figuring out how Utah could match up with gsw and thought I figured it out. Then I remembered gsw has Kevin Durant hahaha

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
People think LeBron is cool for pretending to drink from a beer during a game? "Miles Davis" would like a word

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

euphronius posted:

I was daydreaming figuring out how Utah could match up with gsw and thought I figured it out. Then I remembered gsw has Kevin Durant hahaha

The only issue that I could even theoretically see is Durant gumming up the offense with his ball-stopping (which I always thought ironic how talking heads talked about Russ not wanting to share the ball and not having a pass-heavy offense in OKC where Durant often does the same in GS, but w/e). But even then you're having the ball stopped by like one of the top 3 offensive dudes in the league so it's still kinda whatever. They're almost a comically stacked team.

Also, why doesn't Lue and the Cavs coaching staff get any credit for their high-powered offense? You hear tons about Dantoni, and Kerr and others but the Cavs coaches never seem to come up, even though their offense is obviously top tier and they gun threes as much as anybody. Is it just because everyone assumes it's all Lebron's doing or what?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

alansmithee posted:

Is it just because everyone assumes it's all Lebron's doing or what?

this is correct. Lebron is the coach.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think Lue got his fair share of credit for the championship, but at least in terms of three-pointers and efficiency it's the same thing Blatt was doing. Kerr is in a similar situation but A) coaching the best (regular-season) team of all time gets you a little more shine and B) Jackson was a more famous rear end in a top hat than Blatt and the hockey subs were dumb

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

alansmithee posted:

The only issue that I could even theoretically see is Durant gumming up the offense with his ball-stopping (which I always thought ironic how talking heads talked about Russ not wanting to share the ball and not having a pass-heavy offense in OKC where Durant often does the same in GS, but w/e). But even then you're having the ball stopped by like one of the top 3 offensive dudes in the league so it's still kinda whatever. They're almost a comically stacked team.

Also, why doesn't Lue and the Cavs coaching staff get any credit for their high-powered offense? You hear tons about Dantoni, and Kerr and others but the Cavs coaches never seem to come up, even though their offense is obviously top tier and they gun threes as much as anybody. Is it just because everyone assumes it's all Lebron's doing or what?

Your team's star often serves as a synechdoche for the team and vice versa. Since lebron isn't a long range gunner like Curry and Harden it doesn't quite gel in people's minds that his team is all in on threes. For the same reason GS doesn't have a rep that emphasizes their D like, say, Memphis or SAS despite being better than one and almost as good as the other. Cleveland seems to be thought of as a continuation of Lebron's Heat, though they are way different teams.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Brolander posted:

People think LeBron is cool for pretending to drink from a beer during a game? "Miles Davis" would like a word

Is that Vin Baker? :lol:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Was the media sympathetic to Vin when he went public with his problem? I don't remember much about it at all.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I remember people just calling him fat and out of shape combined with the usual stuff about throwing away millions.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vin baker opened a steakhouse in the town he grew up in, which I lived near and it sucked.

This is my Vin Baker Story

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Was the media sympathetic to Vin when he went public with his problem? I don't remember much about it at all.
No.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
dumb question: if N/V is News/Views, what is a G/V

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Lowtax isn't happy with the cash coming from people buying red text avatars anymore.

So he decided to have the NBA thread be sponsored by Gatorade.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
How you know you're old as gently caress: when you pass up free Cavs tickets for Wednesday to go to your daughters preschool art show.

It's like that Talking Heads song except my house sucks and my automobile is a minivan

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

milk milk lemonade posted:

How you know you're old as gently caress: when you pass up free Cavs tickets for Wednesday to go to your daughters preschool art show.

It's like that Talking Heads song except my house sucks and my automobile is a minivan

A pre-school art show? Wtf is that?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A place where they show off the art of preschoolers.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
All the kids get to do performance art pieces like protesting the Trump presidency by shoving crayons up their noses

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

in the midst of all the espn bloodletting

they resigned mark jackson :negative:

https://twitter.com/briancmahoney/status/859481122018906116

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vertical Lime posted:

they resigned mark jackson

I wish :(

Turdsdown Tom posted:

The NBA signed a sponsorship deal with Gatorade to rename the "D-League" (basically their attempt at a minor leagues, the D stands for Development!) to the "G-League" so the thread title was changed to make fun of it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/briancmahoney/status/859481122018906116

Good news to fans of teams looking for a new coach this offseason. Bad news to fans of every other team.

In other news.
https://twitter.com/JoshEberley/status/859428526482628608

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Vertical Lime posted:

How does ESPN not know that their entire audience hates him? Mark Jackson has to be the consensus worst color commentator in basketball right?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Reggie Miller is my pick

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

How does ESPN not know that their entire audience hates him? Mark Jackson has to be the consensus worst color commentator in basketball right?

Many of ESPN's choices over the past week have been questionable.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

MAMA, THERE GOES THAT MAN

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jota posted:

Reggie Miller is my pick

I'd contend that Reggie is less harmful overall simply because he spends less time trying to do stuff like whatever the gently caress Jackson was trying to accomplish by going after the Warriors.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

IcePhoenix posted:

The NBA signed a sponsorship deal with Gatorade to rename the "D-League" (basically their attempt at a minor leagues, the D stands for Development!) to the "G-League" so the thread title was changed to make fun of it.

lol I totally knew about the D-League but I had no idea Gatorade sponsored it and changed it to the "G-League"

hahahahaha that's amazing

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I live in the Netherlands so I watch a lot of NBA games with Dutch commentary. For years we had an announcer who kept loving up players names. He would call PG13, George Paul and Ibaka was Iboko. Giannis was an incomprehensible gurgle. It became a fun drinking game.

I miss that guy a lot.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I live in the Netherlands so I watch a lot of NBA games with Dutch commentary. For years we had an announcer who kept loving up players names. He would call PG13, George Paul and Ibaka was Iboko. Giannis was an incomprehensible gurgle. It became a fun drinking game.

I miss that guy a lot.

I still think they should hire that pair of crazy summer league announcers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I still want Bill Walton and Mike D as the announcers for all NBA games.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

How does ESPN not know that their entire audience hates him?

Do they? I know people in this thread do, but is there any evidence that the basketball viewing public in general hate him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Good news to fans of teams looking for a new coach this offseason. Bad news to fans of every other team.

In other news.
https://twitter.com/JoshEberley/status/859428526482628608

Anyone else still call him Nene Hilario in their heads?

Not sure bench rotation in the NBA reaches the customary Brazilian mononym threshold.

And now I see the tweeter agrees with me.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I still think they should hire that pair of crazy summer league announcers.

I watch summer league every year hoping these two make a triumphant return

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

I have a confession:

I like Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy as announcers.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wait, have any coaches been canned yet? I feel like we usually hear something around this time. Only thing I can recall is Larry Bird stepping down but that's at the exec level

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No coaches have been fired. Probably because no one's been toxic at a terrible level like George Karl and a lot of coaches were fired last year, so there's a lot of new, expensive deals that started.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Count Mippipopolous posted:

I have a confession:

I like Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy as announcers.

JVG is awesome. Mark Jackson sucks, but he's nowhere near as god-awful as we make him sound in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not sure there's a color guy in the NBA that approaches how terrible color commentators in the NFL are.

• Locked thread