Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was expecting Jimmy to throw his hands in the air and say gently caress THIS gently caress YOUUUUU when Chuck amended the cost of the cassette tape to the damage amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

timp posted:

Mike's Voice

I got into Breaking Bad literally two weeks before it ended so I wasn't in the TVIV threads until then. What is this?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Karmine posted:

I got into Breaking Bad literally two weeks before it ended so I wasn't in the TVIV threads until then. What is this?

Scene in the desert that some people say sounds like Mike dubbed the last part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ygSPO8aXk

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

You are objectively, scientifically provably wrong. The Mike/Gus/Cartel stuff is the best part of this show by far.

Mike scenes are good, so far Gus scenes are really really bad. I'd have rather watched 10 minutes of Mike fixing Chuck's door than the scene where Gus has a meeting with his fast food employees

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I have a feeling that Gus' story with Hector will wrap up within this season and he won't be back much in seasons 4 and beyond (or at least if he's around as Mike's employer, he won't be a major plot focus).

I do hope that the plan he set in motion last episode eventually culminates with Hector being paralysed. I don't care how implausible the plan will be, I want that Saw-esque "this was my plan from day one" scene. Maybe with Gus standing over Hector's hospital bed as he sleeps. "I'll let you live in this pathetic shell, for as long as it entertains me."

Also I'm super happy we got to see Nacho this episode, even if it was just for one awesome "don't go there, bro" moment.

I'd be cool to see the Mike and Jimmy story's clash in a big way at the end of this seasons too. I know Gus and Saul aren't super acquainted but there's no reason Gus' plan and Mike's involvement can't play a part in whatever eventually happens with Chuck.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Mike scenes are good, so far Gus scenes are really really bad. I'd have rather watched 10 minutes of Mike fixing Chuck's door than the scene where Gus has a meeting with his fast food employees

Your personal preferences (to which you're entitled!) notwithstanding, the point of that scene was to show/remind the audience what a mastermind Gus is at not only hiding his criminal enterprise but also to manipulate his civilian employees' loyalty. The humility of admitting he paid them off in Michoacan, the rah rah America stuff, the anger at how the cartel intimidated his customers and threatened his employees. It was great.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

we need more commercials

http://i.imgur.com/ns9tpdx.gifv

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
As soon as the opening scene started I knew that was Don Eladio in his pool, and I was so happy. I love Don Eladio, he was the best supporting BB character by far, I love how he enunciates his words and his scarily happy demeanor and cheesy huge grin, can't get enough Don Eladio

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Karmine posted:

Your personal preferences (to which you're entitled!) notwithstanding, the point of that scene was to show/remind the audience what a mastermind Gus is at not only hiding his criminal enterprise but also to manipulate his civilian employees' loyalty. The humility of admitting he paid them off in Michoacan, the rah rah America stuff, the anger at how the cartel intimidated his customers and threatened his employees. It was great.
Was it just manipulation? I thought he was actually angry about their coming and threatening his employees.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aardark posted:

Was it just manipulation? I thought he was actually angry about their coming and threatening his employees.

It can be two things.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Anyway, I saw the Promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKBl1lJxXEI

It looks like while Jimmy is showing that Chuck is a danger to himself, I think his start is to throw himself to the mercy of the Board and Chuck, Chuck will try to twist the knife but the board won't go along with him. This will cause a breakdown, perhaps around the same time Hector has his paralysis.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Karmine posted:

I got that, but I just didn't care.

I think the problem with this episode for me is that we already know how Gus got into this situation with Don Eladio and Hector Salamanca, and we already know how it ends. At this point in time they're in a stalemate that has little room for plot or character development.

Gus was a great antagonist for Walter, and could be a great catalyst for Mike's development, but I hope they keep any further interaction between Gus and the cartel to the C plot with only a minor scene or two each episode.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Jimmy even mentions that Chuck mentored or helped get people onto the Bar commission so I find it really hard to believe that they're going to be that enamored by Jimmy. And I don't think they'll be surprised about Chuck's illness, though they may not know the extent to what he does to live and get by. I really don't think Jimmy is just going to be able to charm the pants off of the disciplinary board.

Well, the thing is, no matter what the folks at the Bar actually think and no matter how they feel about the individual brothers, we already know that Jimmy sees things the way you describe. He's thinking it's not going to be a fair hearing because he's going up against Chuck and his cronies. And he'll act accordingly.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Aardark posted:

I'd bet he was! And if he can use that for the benefit of his subterfuge so much the better.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

NowonSA posted:

I didn't think Kim could've been recording them there. I guess that makes more sense than what I thought, which was that Jimmy was pretty sure he knew where the original tape was being held (based on the note that Mike found) and Chuck saying "Yeah that was the duplicate, the original is under lock and key" confirmed it for him and now they're going to go steal it. Hard to imagine Kim being on board for that.

Having two recordings brought in turns it into a proper circus and might make the bar just throw up its arms and go screw it, not getting involved in this petty brother bullshit, you're on your own.

I like seeing parts of the plan in motion and waiting to see the reveal, I feel like we have a good payoff coming in the hearing next episode.
I could definitely see another fax/printer montage scene of Jimmy editing the tape so any damning parts are gone.

Cnut the Great posted:

So Gus giving that speech at the fire station is definitely more foreshadowing that something big is going to happen with fire at the end of the season, right?
Could be. But I can see how it could of been just a nod establishing how he became partners/close with the DEA and the community. There being firetrucks was a little odd though.

Karmine posted:

Why was it odd that there were fire trucks at a fire station in a scene where Gus was talking to a bunch of firefighters?

Misremembered the scene thought it was just the DEA.

Nude fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 2, 2017

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Nude posted:

Could be. But I can see how it could of been just a nod establishing how he became partners/close with the DEA and the community. There being firetrucks was a little odd though.

Why was it odd that there were fire trucks at a fire station in a scene where Gus was talking to a bunch of firefighters?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

So how'd that metal detector issue you guys talked about for pages end up? :v:

Anyway, Mike using the drill to run Chuck away and upstairs seemed like the funniest thing in the world to me.

Yeah it was a firehouse Edgar Allen Ho, not a police station. And Cnut the Great, according to Sepinwall the significance might just be that that's apparently the very same firehouse that Walt brings the baby to in Ozymandias.

More interesting than that is that usually the show gets split into the "Mike Show" and the "Jimmy Show". This time the episode was split into the "Gus Show" and the "Jimmy Show" with Mike being the one to show up in both.

I raised a brow when the prosecutor mentioned he could only associate with law abiding citizens. Good luck with that.

I swear almost every TV/IV post I've ever seen you make drags in something blatantly political. :rolleyes:

Just say it bro, just say it. Say what you really feel. They emulated the realest example of a typical prosecutor that you would find in the system and I have to say this show gets it right on the nose with their characters.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

What if everyone on the board secretly hates Chuck, and the though that he made their careers is a misnomer because every lawyer had to put up with his bullshit to make it in that town?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

What if everyone on the board secretly hates Chuck, and the though that he made their careers is a misnomer because every lawyer had to put up with his bullshit to make it in that town?

:yeah:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

R-Type posted:

Just say it bro, just say it. Say what you really feel.

you seem dumb as poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Karmine posted:

I'd bet he was! And if he can use that for the benefit of his subterfuge so much the better.

That's why I love watching Gus so much. We know why he hates Hector and wants revenge, but overall he's unique among our drug kingpins since he seems to really care about and take pride in his legitimate operation too. To me he comes off like he'd prefer to have Los Pollos Hermanos, his hermano alive and well, and to never have ended up slinging meth. I want to see more of how he thinks.

He didn't actually lie to his employees, did he?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ansel Adams of covert photography

But Ansel Adams didn't shoot in color. SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF RUINED.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah but said ultralawyer isn't going to bring the whole firm against Jimmy, it'll just be him and probably Hamlin, then Kim will play the tape that I think we all assume she recorded, Jimmy's got photos of Chucks house basically being an insane asylum run by the patients, and just about all of Chucks professional credibility will be shot.

At least, I'm assuming that's how this is gonna shake out.

Bringing the whole firm would probably help the "my crazy brother is out to get me" defense"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have a weird fascination with trying Los Pollos Hermanos.

You should have gone to SXSW

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He didn't actually lie to his employees, did he?

Well they didn't show up asking for money, he didn't say no to them and they didn't leave defeated. The first part of the story might have been true though.

maskenfreiheit posted:

You should have gone to SXSW

Since that was a promotional thing you just know they sold some generic rear end chicken, definitely not up to Gus' standards. It was probably just farmed out to some other local chicken place.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 2, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Also, frankly I'm not buying the "my brother tricked me into committing a crime" defense.

I think that the bar association would most likely take the view that entrapment has a very specific legal meaning, and "my brother trolled me into breaking into his house" would not hold water. Only weirdos like Ted Bundy do bad things for the sake of doing bad things - every criminal has a "reason".

Now, I will concede that perhaps they will decline to revoke his law liscense (or perhaps only suspend it, pending successful completion of probation).

I think full revocation is out of the question, since it's pretty well established that Saul is not an assumed identity - the bar association knows he's Jimmy McGill.

So I'll say that Jimmy either beats the rap or gets a temporary suspension, and Chuck... chuck will at best have his law license revoked, at worst be forced into a mental facility or wig out, hit his head, and die.

Steve2911 posted:

Well they didn't show up asking for money, he didn't say no to them and they didn't leave defeated. The first part of the story might have been true though.

Since that was a promotional thing you just know they sold some generic rear end chicken, definitely not up to Gus' standards. It was probably just farmed out to some other local chicken place.

My sources indicate it was very good. Not perfect, but on par with what craft services serves to finicky actors.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 2, 2017

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
re: promo

Jimmy is sitting in the waiting room of a veterinarian's office. Was Chuck's ex a vet?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

To me he comes off like he'd prefer to have Los Pollos Hermanos, his hermano alive and well, and to never have ended up slinging meth. I want to see more of how he thinks.

I'd be cool with some flashbacks to Gus and Max's progression from "drat this is some good rear end chicken let's sell it" to "we should try making methamphetamine" to "this is some good rear end methamphetamine let's concoct a plot to manipulate Don Eladio into meeting us oh whoops you died and I hate Hector forever."

e:

clown shoes posted:

re: promo

Jimmy is sitting in the waiting room of a veterinarian's office. Was Chuck's ex a vet?

There's a vet who moonlights as a black market kinda guy. He got Mike the drugs he sprinkled on the truck last week.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 2, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Karmine posted:

There's a vet who moonlights as a black market kinda guy. He got Mike the drugs he sprinkled on the truck last week.

IIRC that was a doctor. The vet got him the second tracker.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

R-Type posted:

Just say it bro, just say it. Say what you really feel

I did say what I really felt you dolt. There was no hidden agenda, or as in your case, a transparent one (or just a drat gimmick) in loving TV/IV posts.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

You're right! My mistake.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Steve2911 posted:

Am I the only one to notice he was THE doctor? The one that takes care of them after the Eladio fallout in Mexico?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Justin Credible posted:

Am I the only one to notice he was THE doctor? The one that takes care of them after the Eladio fallout in Mexico?

No.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Also, frankly I'm not buying the "my brother tricked me into committing a crime" defense.

I think that the bar association would most likely take the view that entrapment has a very specific legal meaning, and "my brother trolled me into breaking into his house" would not hold water. Only weirdos like Ted Bundy do bad things for the sake of doing bad things - every criminal has a "reason".
It's not about the physical damage. I reckon that alone isn't enough to get Jimmy barred, only a lesser sanction. Jimmy has confessed (formally and in a setting that leaves no doubt ) to that crime and all he can do now is plead leniency and the mitigating circumstances. So it's clearly not about formal entrapment ("this evidence is inadmissible because the police entrapped me"), but's about confirming that Chuck is a mix of mentally unstable and scheming. The real issue that will get Jimmy disbarred is the crime to which he confessed on the tape. However once Chuck has been shown unfit to practice law for reasons of being mentally unstable and vindictively scheming, it's easy to cast Jimmy's confession as something said not because it's true but because he was trying to help the mental state of a brother he loves.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Justin Credible posted:

I suspect that the numerous other people who posted about might have caught on to that little detail

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't know much about doctoring documents and whatnot, but would the bar association not be able to tell whether there was any fakery? I'm sure there are experts in the field that would spot it in a heartbeat.

Not that they'd want to go to that sort of effort, but still.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah it was a firehouse Edgar Allen Ho, not a police station. And Cnut the Great, according to Sepinwall the significance might just be that that's apparently the very same firehouse that Walt brings the baby to in Ozymandias.

I imagine there's plenty of significance in the juxtaposition of Gus talking to a bunch of firemen and the show lingering for a moment on the gas lantern sitting on the newspapers.

Jimmy and Kimmy's strategy goes off perfectly, Chuck's entire story is discredited, and Jimmy keeps his law license. Chuck loses his mind (or maybe even has disbarment proceedings brought against him as a result of what comes out in the hearing) and goes home and in his distraught state he knocks over a lantern and burns down his house. Maybe he's committed as a danger to himself, or maybe he actually dies in the fire. Either one pushes Jimmy closer to working as Saul.

Karmine posted:

At this point the only main character from BrBa who it makes any sense to introduce would be Hank and as much as I'd like to see him, I think that would make it feel just a little TOO much like Breaking Bad when they've got a really excellent show in its own right.

In a future scene with Jimmy at the municipal court, we glimpse in the background Marie Schrader, who is there with her husband pleading for clemency after the first time she's caught shoplifting.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't know how much more ground there is to cover in the Gus/Hector rivalry, but I'm kinda hoping the back half of the season gives us more Nacho. I think it's pretty likely he's doing the double agent thing, serving as Gus' man inside Hector's operation-- it's the simplest explanation for how Gus caught on to Mike's activities in the first place.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

It's a disciplinary hearing of a professional (i.e., non-governmental) association, not a court of law.

Chuck says that their rules of 'evidence' are much more lenient than a court's.

The hearing's purpose is to decide what if any sanction the board will recommend to the State Supreme Court to impose on Jimmy. The criminal charges have been dealt with already. Going to the disciplinary hearing is part of his punishment for the B&E and other charges.

So Jimmy's sole objective is to plead mitigation and keep his license. But if Chuck loses his in the process, I don't think Jimmy will mind.

The leniency will work both ways - Chuck will be able to play the tape - and Jimmy will be able to bring in evidence that probably wouldn't be permitted in a 'real' court.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe he's committed as a danger to himself, or maybe he actually dies in the fire. Either one pushes Jimmy closer to working as Saul

I'm picturing Chuck covered laid down in a hospital bed, wrapped in white bandages, Jimmy at his side.

"Jimmy... Where's Jimmy?"

"I'm here for you, Chuck. Brother."

"Jimmy... My name... Don't use my name... Argh! "

*Dies*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I don't know much about doctoring documents and whatnot, but would the bar association not be able to tell whether there was any fakery? I'm sure there are experts in the field that would spot it in a heartbeat.

Not that they'd want to go to that sort of effort, but still.

If they really wanted to go down that road, yes, it would be fairly easy to detect the faked documents. A trained professional could likely spot the differences between prints from Chuck's printer (original) and ones made at the copy shop (doctored). Jimmy might be superhumanly good with an X-Acto knife but it's more likely that there would be subtle shifts in the text baseline and spacing that, again, a pro would be able to notice. But most importantly, every large commercial printer and copier actually tags its prints (as an anti-counterfeiting measure) with a nearly-invisible code of faint yellow dots, including the printer model and serial number:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_steganography

So all they have to do is have a tech examine the documents that Chuck claims are doctored, discover that their coding indicates they were printed on a Huge rear end Xerox owned by Discount Copy Shop instead of a personal laser printer, and the evidence against Jimmy is irrefutable.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the showrunners actually addressed this though. It would just make things a shitload more complicated and the hidden coding isn't a widely-known thing among the public anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
does anyone else think Chuck's house is a little unsafe

• Locked thread