Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Time is money. I'm more than happy at this point in my life to pay someone than to waste a weekend of my life figuring out how to install new brake pads and rotors.

I'm not mechanical at all and unironically the only things I can do are 1) change tires and 2) install brake pads and rotors OH I can also change headlights! :dance:

I generally agree with you though, I'd much rather say "Eh...here's $150, you do it".

I just paid some company $100 to pull weeds at my house because :effort: Also because my lower back is about as stable as the Chicago Bears draft party hohoho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Imagine living in a place and having a lifestyle where you have to own a car

You'd probably have to eat at restaraunts with more than one location

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Phobeste posted:

You'd probably have to eat at restaraunts with more than one location

You rascal

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In high school my stepdad showed me like what a crescent wrench and an adjustable wrench were but I hadn't really worked on cars much. But when I first got on SA about ten years ago I started hanging around in AI reading project threads and the quick automotive repair thread. Eventually I started doing stuff on my own vehicles. Started really small with some minor repair in the dashboard, I think I replaced a light bulb in the dash. Then I replaced a bearing on one of my truck's wheels (not a press fit, it was pretty easy) and then I started doing my own brake pads, rotating tires, changing oil.

Last year I pulled my old truck in to my garage and spent a handful of weekends dropping out and putting back in the auto transmission. I still had a shop do the rebuild because gently caress rebuilding an auto tranny, but I did the rest.

Doing all this stuff I made plenty of mistakes, often had to go back to the book or look up a video or ask the goons what to do, but the worst case scenario was usually just needing to replace another part that I'd screwed up and much more frequently it was just a matter of figuring out why what I was doing wasn't working. A couple of times I had to bring my mess to a mechanic but no big deal.

I figure over the last ten years I've saved several thousand dollars, learned a useful skill, acquired a set of tools that I can use for a lifetime, and I can help out friends and family members and save them money from time to time as well.

It's not for everyone. If you live in an apartment and have no place to work on a car or store tools etc. then of course you need to just use a mechanic. And if you'd rather spend a few hundred dollars than learn to do something and spend a couple or three hours doing it, that's fine too, we all have limits on your time. But it's immensely satisfying to accomplish something with your own two hands and know you saved money doing it, and it's also really useful to understand exactly how your car works.

Also women like men who can work with their hands.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If a nuclear war ever wipes out all accumulated human knowledge I think we will be ok as long as we hide leperflesh in a fallout shelter somewhere.

We just have to make sure there are no pop tarts in the rations we leave him

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
these hands were made for gaming..

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If a nuclear war ever wipes out all accumulated human knowledge I think we will be ok as long as we hide leperflesh in a fallout shelter somewhere.

I, for one, feel confident that if the internet ever died that between yourself and Leper you would be able to recreate the content rather quickly and by memory.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

weird Asian candy posted:

I, for one, feel confident that if the internet ever died that between yourself and Leper you would be able to recreate the content rather quickly and by memory.

I am mostly just good for plot synopses

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

these hands were made for gaming..

And gently caressing the peaks and valleys of another man's chiseled abdominal muscles

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

just kiss and gently caress already

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
They can't kiss and gently caress until they discuss trains and which ones are the best.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dubious posted:

just kiss and gently caress already

Ew human contact

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ehud posted:

swickles I have a medical question how come in the Bible (which is god's truth) people lived to be over 900 years old but now life expectancy is much shorter?!

I can't explain that medically, but the biblical answer is that man was created without sin and would have lived forever, had Adam and Eve not sinned. Most of the people mentioned in the Bible that live for so long were contemporaries of Adam and Eve. While there is no specific timeline in Genesis, Adam and contrmporaries could have been around for quite some time before man was inflicted with sin. It is also thought that some men, having been born or created close to the event invoking sin upon man, were closer to God than we are today because we are much further from that original state of grace than they were. Also of note, post Noah and the great flood, there are little (or maybe none) mentions of people living longer than they do now. So one interpretation is that the great flood was concurrent with a punishment to man that limited his lifespan.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

And gently caressing the peaks and valleys of another man's chiseled abdominal muscles

:bigtran:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

swickles posted:

I can't explain that medically, but the biblical answer is that man was created without sin and would have lived forever, had Adam and Eve not sinned. Most of the people mentioned in the Bible that live for so long were contemporaries of Adam and Eve. While there is no specific timeline in Genesis, Adam and contrmporaries could have been around for quite some time before man was inflicted with sin. It is also thought that some men, having been born or created close to the event invoking sin upon man, were closer to God than we are today because we are much further from that original state of grace than they were. Also of note, post Noah and the great flood, there are little (or maybe none) mentions of people living longer than they do now. So one interpretation is that the great flood was concurrent with a punishment to man that limited his lifespan.

well shucks

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

swickles posted:

Actually the apple symbolizes the entry of carbs into the world. Before eve ate the Apple humans existed in a perfect world and could live forever without the influence of the most evil macronutrient. Relatedly Adam and Eve were both ripped

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
The church I used to go to ages ago posited that pre-flood, there was this big canopy of water over the earth protecting humans from UV stuff, enabling them to live hundreds of years. The flood drained that canopy, thus killing humans sooner.

You know, if god didn't send bears after them instead.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
imagine earth today if humans lived 900 years

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Dubious posted:

Tom Brady will live and play for a thousand years

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ugh yeah

My wife and I have figured out that with our combined skills we have a pretty good set of post apocalypse survival stuff. She's a ceramic artist who makes robots, I took some blacksmithing classes and know how to shoot with a bow, she can identify a fair number of plants and I can properly cook a steak and maintain a rifle and maybe fix a car if I have the shop manual and tools. And she can make clothing and program an arduino and operate a CNC mill and when she was a kid her parents had a horse and goats and chickens and so she can do animal husbandry pretty well too.

Unfortunately my knowledge in the areas of football, british television shows, dungeons and dragons, writing developer and administrator documentation for enterprise software, and the collected works of terry pratchett will all be useless in the future hellpocalypse.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Dubious posted:

Well Martha, we are nearly at our retirement goal of 1 Billion Dollars at age 815!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dubious posted:

do the women still go through menopause at the usual age or are we popping out babies for centuries

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

swickles posted:

SOME DOCTOR

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Phobeste posted:

Tom Brady will live and play for a thousand years

a thousand games of Playoffs Andey

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well Martha, we are nearly at our retirement goal of 1 Billion Dollars at age 815!

lol

but actually if you can save 100k by the time you're like 60, the magic power of compound interest will ensure you own all of the money on the planet by like 200 or something

e. 100k compounded annually at 5% interest for 600 years = $517,105,839,289,871,600.00

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

My wife and I have figured out that with our combined skills we have a pretty good set of post apocalypse survival stuff. She's a ceramic artist who makes robots, I took some blacksmithing classes and know how to shoot with a bow, she can identify a fair number of plants and I can properly cook a steak and maintain a rifle and maybe fix a car if I have the shop manual and tools. And she can make clothing and program an arduino and operate a CNC mill and when she was a kid her parents had a horse and goats and chickens and so she can do animal husbandry pretty well too.

Read this post in the Napoleon Dynamite voice

I love you, Leper :gay:

Leperflesh posted:

lol

but actually if you can save 100k by the time you're like 60, the magic power of compound interest will ensure you own all of the money on the planet by like 200 or something

Will you be my financial advisor?

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 2, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love you too, weird asian candy

pocky is OK but I like the weird fizzy milk flavors

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I can brew beer and make moonshine so when the world ends please invite me into the TFF Raider gang and don't immediately kill me and loot my dwelling tia

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Phobeste posted:

Actually the apple symbolizes the entry of carbs into the world. Before eve ate the Apple humans existed in a perfect world and could live forever without the influence of the most evil macronutrient. Relatedly Adam and Eve were both ripped

But Eve only wanted to tone she didn't want to accidentally get bulky

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Unfortunately my knowledge in the areas of football, british television shows, dungeons and dragons, writing developer and administrator documentation for enterprise software, and the collected works of terry pratchett will all be useless in the future hellpocalypse.

Yeah everyone knows the apocalypse will use GURPS

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

I can brew beer and make moonshine

basically these are totally essential skills without which life isn't worth living so hell yes you're in bro

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah everyone knows the apocalypse will use GURPS

ugghhhhhhhh gently caress gurps

(no but it's worse than that, the apocalypse is gonna use Palladium and we're all gonna have to deal with MDC and SDC bullshit)

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

ugh yeah

but enough about your minecraft server

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I have a physical today.

I haven't been to the doctor since I was like 14.

Half my blood is going to be sodium

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

basically these are totally essential skills without which life isn't worth living so hell yes you're in bro

ugghhhhhhhh gently caress gurps

(no but it's worse than that, the apocalypse is gonna use Palladium and we're all gonna have to deal with MDC and SDC bullshit)

yea but there will be some badass glitter boy armor out there to use

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

a neat cape posted:

I have a physical today.

Not surprising you'd be that salty after so many years as a chargers fan

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

Why? Did your health not allow it?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

a neat cape posted:

I have a physical today.

Are you one of those people who have weird diets like you subside completely on McDonald's chicken nuggets

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Leperflesh posted:

ugh yeah

The only real skill I possess is: when I drop something I always catch it before it hits the ground, nothing I've dropped has hit the ground in years...phones, soap in the shower, etc.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a patagonian cavy posted:

Not surprising you'd be that salty after so many years as a chargers fan
:jerry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ehud posted:

swickles I have a medical question how come in the Bible (which is god's truth) people lived to be over 900 years old but now life expectancy is much shorter?!

I did the math once and noahs dad methusalah was almost 1000 years old and he died the same year of the flood. Pretty sure Noah made him stay on the shore lol

• Locked thread