Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also here is a Bennett

All of Donald Trump's favorite books are sold out, because he has just the best taste in books, believe me. He has all the best books. Authors come up to him on the street and they say "wow, your books are just unbelievable, Donald." A Bad Cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

At least Government-by-Datamining would result in more people-friendly administration and legislation than we have in the present Tyrrany-by-Popular-Minority model.

That's how far we have fallen.

Edit, rephrased: When a guy who would lead by datamining popular opinion may produce a more representative government than the guy who recently won on a faux populist platform, you have hosed up royally.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 2, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Potato Salad posted:

At least Government-by-Datamining would result in more people-friendly administration and legislation than we have in the present Tyrrany-by-Popular-Minority model.

That's how far we've fallen.

President Tay!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Iron Crowned posted:

President Tay!

I enthusiastically endorse a man whose position on voting rights is summed up by "chocolate rain."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Potato Salad posted:

I enthusiastically endorse a man whose position on voting rights is summed up by "chocolate rain."

That one song demonstrates a deeper understanding of modern racial issues than literally any Republican I've ever read about or talked to. I'd vote for him.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Shangri-Law School posted:

Susie Cagle's latest.

The rest

This comic is going to get a lot of use in this thread, I think.

Starving Wolf posted:

I hope I die soon

You​ have a gift!

:discourse:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Woah that's a spicy burn right there, Tinsley. Take that, KJU.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

loquacius posted:

So was his collar not drawn or is he just not wearing a shirt under his jacket? (I'd believe either)

No shirt. It's a thing he does.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

tyblazitar posted:

I thought Trevor Noah was just one outlier, but seeing a bunch of goons defend a president taking 6-figure bribes from Wall Street is truly mind-blowing. Like I know Obama has a massively inflated image as a "progressive", but I thought people would still be receptive to proof to the contrary.
As much as I might wish otherwise right now, Obama is not the president and, as such, cannot be bribed. Furthermore, he is unlikely to ever hold any elected or appointed office ever again, so it's not like this is some sort of "give me cash now and I'll help you out when I get back into power." Obama cannot be corrupt because he no longer has any power.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jethro posted:

As much as I might wish otherwise right now, Obama is not the president and, as such, cannot be bribed. Furthermore, he is unlikely to ever hold any elected or appointed office ever again, so it's not like this is some sort of "give me cash now and I'll help you out when I get back into power." Obama cannot be corrupt because he no longer has any power.

Obama is still hugely influential in American politics and to say he is a non-entity because his term is up is either short-sighted or naive

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I'll try to remember to feel silly when Obama gives his "Investment banks are great" keynote speech at the next DNC.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Obama not being the president anymore is a weak argument that this isn't a bad look. The issue a lot of people have is the appearance of a revolving door between government officials and the industries it is supposed to be regulating. Sure Obama is not getting a sack full of cash during his term but that's a very John Roberts way of looking at corruption. Being friendly to an industry during your elected job with the promise of a lucrative job or payments after you leave office is very clearly corruption. I highly doubt that Obama helped out finance for $400,000, especially when he surely knew how lucrative his memoirs would be. However the idea that you can't be corrupted with future benefits is kind of ridiculous. Our presidents shouldn't be getting half a million from their celebrity status for hour speaking gigs regardless of how cool they are anyway, especially from industries where there is a conflict of interest between the stated goals of the party and that industry.

Also Obama is 100% still involved with politics even if he can't be elected, and according to Pelosi is still a standard bearer of the Democratic party, so that argument that he has acceded into a post political nirvana doesn't hold water. No one is saying he can't do it (although I say that they shouldn't be able to do this at all, sell your life story if you really are slumming it as an ex-president and need that money so bad) but maybe he shouldn't if most people in this country think it looks bad and Democrats desperately need to polish their image. I'm pretty concerned that the Democrats need to dissociate themselves as the party of Wall Street which is a shameful thing for the supposedly leftist party in America's two party system if they want to win some elections more than I care about Obama getting another $400 grand he doesn't need because "man I would totally take that money from rich guys too!" as if that is anything to base the ethics of a leader on.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jethro posted:

I'll try to remember to feel silly when Obama gives his "Investment banks are great" keynote speech at the next DNC.

He basically already did, by signalling to everyone looking up to him that cozying yourself up to investment banks and telling them they're great in exchange for BIG CASH PRIZES is a great thing to do for a little financial boost

"how bad can investment banks be, Obama seems to like them well enough"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

World Famous W posted:

My hot take: it bad for anyone to earn 400K for a single job no matter who they is. Hell, no-one should earn close to half a million in a year. Kill and eat the rich. Set up the guillotine. Death is our only escape, abandon all hope, yada yada, etc

a hot take for this forum would be something like "capitalism is good and good on obama for engaging in it"

my actual stance is "gently caress if I care"

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Oh snap
https://twitter.com/badnetworker/status/855119350243753984

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Obama's speech will sit alongside Dodd-Frank in the chapter on his failed financial legacy.

For the record, I would not have bothered with the hassle of agreeing to the speech. But given that our Oval Office is occupied by a rapacious, contractor-stiffing slumlord, I feel like the action matters less than the surrounding chatter. At this point it would be more damaging for Obama to apologize or cancel.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jethro posted:

The order of events is not always bribe then help. It's possible that a friendly politician gets his "reward" after he leaves office in the form of lucrative speaking deals. You don't even have to have explicit bribery. Nobody from Wall Street ever sat down with Obama and said "don't gently caress with us and we will give you speaking deals when you retire". There was no quid pro quo. Industries are just friendly to politians that were friendly to them. It's a systemic problem.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

D.N. Nation posted:

Woah that's a spicy burn right there, Tinsley. Take that, KJU.

If it's a new cartoon, it's also really late. That study was a year or two ago IIRC.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It's Tuesday!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Kelly with the finger on Americas pulse as always :eyepop:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Erenthal posted:

Kelly with the finger on Americas pulse as always :eyepop:

But only because of the court order.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

The order of events is not always bribe then help. It's possible that a friendly politician gets his "reward" after he leaves office in the form of lucrative speaking deals. You don't even have to have explicit bribery. Nobody from Wall Street ever sat down with Obama and said "don't gently caress with us and we will give you speaking deals when you retire". There was no quid pro quo. Industries are just friendly to politians that were friendly to them. It's a systemic problem.

I mean he's a great speaker and popular former president who saw the financial industry through some dark times while in charge, the scale of speaking fees being a bit nuts is certainly a thing but it makes sense that they would want him as a speaker just in general.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Is this supposed to be in support of the executions?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

santanotreal posted:

It's in support of honest hard-working executioners

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

santanotreal posted:

It's Kelly my bro

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Kelly is the satircal alter-ego of cartoonist Ward Sutton, and he is published by The Onion. Or whatever the rubric was.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Potato Salad posted:

That's how far we have fallen.

Edit, rephrased: When a guy who would lead by datamining popular opinion may produce a more representative government than the guy who recently won on a faux populist platform, you have hosed up royally.

It wouldn't

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Go squeeze a boob, Zelda, god drat.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

santanotreal posted:

:allears:

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Getting a custom tailored suit that says CCLU Thug is my new life goal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's Kelly my bro

It's also crossing the line IMO.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

quote:

Been a while since we had a pigman posted here.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Typical Obama, always blaming Bush for- wait a minute...

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Sargon of TN
Nov 7, 2011

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Internet Webguy posted:

Typical Obama, always blaming Bush for- wait a minute...
Yes, the liberal media is always demanding Trump fix Obama's mess.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Somfin posted:

At least our unscrupulous profit-driven corporate overlords come through on undocumented monetary promises

Not having to make such promises is the point of a business-friendly regulatory culture. The regulators who don't cause any trouble for business then just happen to get paid well by the businesses after they retire. No explicit bribes required.

Obama had an opportunity to not propagate that culture. Maybe it is totes innocuous in his case. Yet it still shows that money will be available to government people businesses like enough. And that even a president takes them up on the offer.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ah yes, the Republicans control both houses of Congress and the White House, but it's the DEMOCRATS' fault that Trump couldn't get anything he wanted on the spending bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hello, patriarchy!

• Locked thread