Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think it's fine for the middle name to be a little weird. That way, if the kid really likes it, they can choose to go by that name. If they hate it, they can choose to ignore it completely or use an initial.

I remember when I was a kid, everyone was telling each other our middle names to find the person with the coolest middle name. Half the girls had one of two common middle names, Lynn or Marie. I think the winner was the kid whose middle name was also the capital city of South Korea.

Batman and Spider-Man is a little too weird, though. Even for a middle name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Just make his middle name "One or more of my parents is functionally retarded".

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
My unborn kids got their names all picked out, Pnutis and Pnurtia are gonna be kings of school, I promise

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

new phone who dis posted:

Just make his middle name "One or more of my parents is functionally retarded".

And be hired as Dr. Bashir in the reboot!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

Pnurtis and Pmurtis, all day every day.

Pnurtis would make a fantastic middle name cause you'd only ever use the P (letters ending in that ee sound make good initials imo) and on the rare occasion someone asked what it stood for it'd be a hilarious conversation.

Seriously tho does anyone actually care about middle names? I like my middle initial and the name itself is sentimental (related to someone in mom's family so more for her than me) but I think the only people in my life who have ever asked about my middle name has been romantic partners, it just never comes up.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Pick posted:

Sounds like a girlfriend for Urban Smurf

He'd never find her. He'd just post increasingly deranged theories and Google maps screenshots overlaid with Timecube references on various treasure hunt forums.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
My middle name is for reals Wayne and I'm composing a list of goons whose skin I want to wear.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

My unborn kids got their names all picked out, Pnutis and Pnurtia are gonna be kings of school, I promise

Pnurtia would be a better middle name that ends up taking the place of the first name so she can have a sweet signature like E. Pnurtia.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

My middle name is for reals Wayne and I'm composing a list of goons whose skin I want to wear.

Reported to the FBI

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Axolotl posted:

Reported to the FBI

You just made the list.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

Pnurtia would be a better middle name that ends up taking the place of the first name so she can have a sweet signature like E. Pnurtia.

E. Pnurtia sounds like some kind of civilization-ending bacteria.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i had a relationship like this, eventually what I'd do is wait till they shut the door, then go up to it and announce that I'll be at X location when they're ready to continue. What this is is a bid for attention, they're overwhelmed verbally and trying to get some show of commitment or solidarity as a reassurance of the strength of the relationship. There's some subconscious thought process of "I'll do X and if they don't do Y it's because they don't care" so the trick is to short-circuit this logic trap by showing you care in a way that isn't Y. It's not "playing into their game" so much as "reframing their actions without their internal justification."

I just ask them to send a postcard. It's not the best strategy in hindsight.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

You just made the list.

*"Goodbye Horses" playing in the background*

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

I was goin for an inertia joke

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Also for the last name slapfight that was goin on a page or two ago I just think hyphens look dumb and seem like a worst of both worlds compromise. I like my last name but would be cool giving it up if my partner didn't wanna take it, I'd just take theirs. Feel like it's an important symbolic thing and the hyphen just looks like you're starting off the marriage with a dumb power struggle.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
My dad is an only child and I'm his only son so I would probably insist on keeping the name going.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Maybe changing his last name was what meat loaf was singing about this whole time

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ArbitraryC posted:

Maybe changing his last name was what meat loaf was singing about this whole time

poetry friend.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like my hyphenated name. It could be we're more normalized to them in the UK.

Meatloaf was singing about inserting poo poo from the freezer.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 2, 2017

rat-born cock
Apr 3, 2017

"Garbage! Trash! Offal! Debris! Come and get it! Nothing whole or undamaged! Crap, tripe, and useless piles of shit. You know you want it."
Long time lurker, love the thread, oh my god some of you have the most tiresome opinions

have something short and sweet.

quote:

Wife (31,f) thinks I (32,m) should chase her when she walks away from an argument

When we get into an argument, she sometimes walks away from me and goes into the bedroom. Later, she comes out of the bedroom and is angry I didn't go after her. I tell her that 1) If she wants to talk, then she shouldn't walk away 2) If she needs a few minutes (which is fine), I'm not going to push her 3) I don't want her to feel trapped if I'm standing in the doorway when we're arguing (she's always talking about how it's intimidating to be a woman when arguing with a man).

I asked how I'm supposed to know what to do and she said "You're a grown man in a relationship, you should know".

This is a recurring argument between us. I try to see this from her perspective but I can't see a single explanation that would make her right. Am I missing something? I want to see things from her perspective so we stop arguing about it but I can't.

tl;dr I think my wife fights unfairly and is unreasonable.

EDIT: Wow, thank you all for your advice and comments! I never expected such an overwhelming response!
I'm not trying to make this a "right vs wrong" thing but I'm trying to make sure I'm not being a clueless idiot. Based on the responses, maybe the problem isn't that I'm too hard but that I'm too easy lol. We're actually trying to find a therapist ASAP because this isn't even actually our worst issue. Thanks again to everyone!

the problem is, your wife still thinks she's in a high school relationship where stomping off and moping until your boo comes to comfort you is "romantic"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

We already did that one

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever
A lot of the people I've known who gave a poo poo about their "family name" didn't have much history worth passing on. You live in a double-wide and molested your kids, yeah, let's keep that family legacy going.

This guy was a 3rd in his line and named his firstborn the 4th. If you google his son's name, his father's comes up under the sex offender registry.

Axolotl fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 2, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
last page friend

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ensign Expendable posted:

Pnurtia is some sort of gentically engineered nutria

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

rat-born cock posted:

Long time lurker, love the thread, oh my god some of you have the most tiresome opinions

have something short and sweet.

the problem is, your wife still thinks she's in a high school relationship where stomping off and moping until your boo comes to comfort you is "romantic"

We've just had that one. Maybe you should have read more while you were lurking?

rat-born cock
Apr 3, 2017

"Garbage! Trash! Offal! Debris! Come and get it! Nothing whole or undamaged! Crap, tripe, and useless piles of shit. You know you want it."

Blue Train posted:

We already did that one

I ctrl+F'd like 4 pages back and didn't see it but this thread moves real fast. lots of important ideas about last names and nick names and idk cat poop to carry on about, I guess

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My (28F) boyfriend (29M) still has a curfew, and it's wreaking havoc on our relationship

quote:

I've been with my boyfriend for a little over six months. While I know this isn't very long, we are extremely close, and I see a possible future with him.

He's currently living at home to save money (which I think is fine in and of itself). However, his parents expect him to adhere to rules that seem unnecessary and downright ridiculous. For example, he needs to be home by a certain time. He is also prohibited from spending the night at my apartment. His parents believe the following: if he goes home too late, it may be too "cold" or "dangerous" (we live in one of the safest cities in North America), and his spending the night may result in my "falling pregnant." He's unhappy with these rules and wants to be "respected" and "treated like an adult," but he doesn't know how to broach the topic with his parents. He also fears angering them (despite finding their requests unreasonable).

I feel guilty admitting this, but I'm unsure for how much longer I can deal with this. I've never dated an adult (let alone an almost 30 year-old man) with a curfew, and I've never dated someone who can't stay over on occasion. One of my friends told me that this sounds like the "price of admission" for dating him and that I need to either a. accept that things will be like this indefinitely or b. break up with him. That may sound harsh, but I'm not sure what else to do. Furthermore, all of this makes me wonder how much control his parents will exert/attempt to exert over his life in the future should we stay together (which is probably the crux of the issue).

edit: To provide additional context, my boyfriend is Korean, and his parents are fairly conservative about this issue. He dislikes their rules and wants to become more independent. However, I fear this will be an issue for as long as he lives at home, and I need to either accept it or break up with him.

tl;dr: I believe my boyfriend's parents' rules are ridiculous and unnecessary. He agrees but seems complacent for the time being. Short of breaking up with him, is there anything else I can do?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

rat-born cock posted:

I ctrl+F'd like 4 pages back and didn't see it but this thread moves real fast. lots of important ideas about last names and nick names and idk cat poop to carry on about, I guess

next time try ctrl+shift+W

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

Urban Smurf

this is my compromise baby name fyi

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
A fun "prank" to pull on your kids is sign their birth certificate with only their middle initial, but use the full middle name for their whole lives, until they turn 27 and have to sit for a security clearance interview and desperately explain to the racist, xenophobic federal employee that your parents are not in fact part of a 3-generation deep splinter cell operation designed to create the world's greatest super-soldier-spy, have them infiltrate the janitorial staff for the IRS's custodial services subcontractor, and eventually TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

hi this happened to me, i did not get the job nor deported.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ouhei posted:

I'm amazed at how much this dumb poo poo plays out and somehow they're always surprised that the guy willing to openly gently caress around on his wife and kids turns out the be a piece of poo poo.

Yeah, I have to say, seriously. Goddamn. But it would never happen to me! He loves me! Not like his harpy of a wife!, We're going to have fun!

*spends the next 7 years microwaving his chicken tendies while he hangs out on the sex offender list for molesting a teen*

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Haifisch posted:

and his spending the night may result in my "falling pregnant."

Hahaha

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Yeah, I have to say, seriously. Goddamn. But it would never happen to me! He loves me! Not like his harpy of a wife!, We're going to have fun!

*spends the next 7 years microwaving his chicken tendies while he hangs out on the sex offender list for molesting a teen*

Text me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

My (28F) boyfriend (29M) still has a curfew, and it's wreaking havoc on our relationship

Threaten them with an electric fan connected to a power bank

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

A fun "prank" to pull on your kids is sign their birth certificate with only their middle initial, but use the full middle name for their whole lives, until they turn 27 and have to sit for a security clearance interview and desperately explain to the racist, xenophobic federal employee that your parents are not in fact part of a 3-generation deep splinter cell operation designed to create the world's greatest super-soldier-spy, have them infiltrate the janitorial staff for the IRS's custodial services subcontractor, and eventually TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

hi this happened to me, i did not get the job nor deported.

Probably just figured you were a scientologist.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Hahaha

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

nice

rat-born cock
Apr 3, 2017

Elsa posted:

next time try ctrl+shift+W

hey :(

I [m, 38] finally got brave enough to post in my favorite thread [m, ???], got pranked

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Pick made me google for more korean superstitions and they mostly ranged from benign to dumb but the last one was p funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've seen that butterfly one before, surprised it is Korean