Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've probably already mentioned this but it'd be rad if you guys could implement the scrapped campaign co-op for Turok 3 - I have no idea if any of that stuff is still in the ROM but they were demoing/promoting the game with campaign co-op until fairly close to launch and there are points in the campaign were you can kinda tell they intended for different branches for each character, so it'd be nice to see that mode fully realised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GZDoom 3.0.1 is out.

This fixes some bugs, including sounds causing crashes in the 32-bit build.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

Eleven and a half hours later and One Unit Whole Blood has been conquered! It's something I shouldn't have missed out on 20 years ago, but I'm glad I was still able to play it today. It was fun as hell.

If you're still in the mood for more Blood then the Death Wish map pack is absolutely amazing and well worth the time (and I think the creator has posted in this thread occasionally).

Reive
May 21, 2009

Openal complete messes up the stereo-mix in a bunch of mods, I hope someone adds unofficial support for fmod. :\

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Turok 2 is still fun, if a bit confusing. I'm in 5 levels and I still keep checking if I haven't missed anything.

As for Blood, I think I'll try and do my own run of that game from start to finish again. Always worth a try every now and then.

This is gonna be siiiiiiiiiiiick.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, basically its just naive code that says

"If KEY_STRAFE is down" -> move left 5 feet

"If KEY_FORWARD is down" -> move forward 5 feet

it seems pretty sensible and works fine. Its not immediately obvious that this means moving both directions lets you go faster.

MOST people were not using mice when Doom came out, but ID were using mice because they were nerds with workstation machines and stuff. So the game did support it from launch, but yeah, most people remember doom being "keyboard only" at first.

I saw this firsthand when I was goofing off with Hexen 2 this weekend. Holding run and then moving diagonally made you super fast. Couple that with the boots of speed and it's almost unplayable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

boof posted:

If you're still in the mood for more Blood then the Death Wish map pack is absolutely amazing and well worth the time (and I think the creator has posted in this thread occasionally).

Thanks! I'll get to it eventually, maybe. Right now I'm just going through my backlog.

Vargatron posted:

I saw this firsthand when I was goofing off with Hexen 2 this weekend. Holding run and then moving diagonally made you super fast. Couple that with the boots of speed and it's almost unplayable.

I remember in Hexen 2 specifically if you rapidly alternate tapping the left and right strafe keys while running forward you'll go really loving fast. It's almost like the character springs forward a bit each time you tap the key.

This was as a Necromancer though. I dunno if that matters.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

boof posted:

100% seconding this. There's supposed to be a 1.4 update coming at some point, but 1.3 is solid enough that I see little reason to wait.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I say this every time Blood discussion comes up but it's infuriating that the source code was never released. Even loving Witchaven got a source release and no-one has spoken about that game for at least 20 years

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I totally agree, but isn't the Witchaven source (and the other Capstone games, didn't they all get released?) only questionably legal?

Man, gently caress Atari.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In Descent you could double-straferun by holding e.g. forward+left+up together. Good luck seeing which way you're going, though. I think it also supported strafe modifiers so maybe you could have gone even faster if you were an octopus.

Also if you want the best X-wing flying experience today, find a friend with a PSVR and a copy of Battlefront and do the X-wing mission in there, it's really something.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There's also Wings of Saint Nazaire, a retro spice-sim that uses sprites with all kinds of modern effects on top. It looks really cool in the handful of videos that exist but unfortunately the project is on extended hiatus.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Wamdoodle posted:

You could cut your eyes on those pixels.

I think it just looks like how the PC version looked on my 386 back in the day with detail turned down.

Zaphod42 posted:

MOST people were not using mice when Doom came out, but ID were using mice because they were nerds with workstation machines and stuff. So the game did support it from launch, but yeah, most people remember doom being "keyboard only" at first.

It came out at the end of 1993 and Windows 3.0 came out in mid 1990. I think everyone I knew had a mouse already. I seem to remember some of them not using it to play DOOM though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Has anyone here tried Strafe? It's coming out soon and it looks cool but I didn't realize it was a procedurally generated thing until just now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Buttcoin purse posted:

It came out at the end of 1993 and Windows 3.0 came out in mid 1990. I think everyone I knew had a mouse already. I seem to remember some of them not using it to play DOOM though.

There were still machines fast enough to play Doom but shipping without Windows or a mouse well into 1995.

Also, Windows 3.0 wasn't very popular. Windows 3.1 was the real breakthrough and didn't come out til mid-1992 and then Windows 95 was absolutely huge and marked the point where the mouse was just plain mandatory.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Has anyone here tried Strafe? It's coming out soon and it looks cool but I didn't realize it was a procedurally generated thing until just now.

I have. As I mentioned before I played it at PAX East this year and I feel like the procgen worries aren't as bad as initially stated. The levels feel procedurally generated the way that Diablo II's dungeons are, i.e. prefab rooms being stitched together (this may not be true necessarily though). There's quite a bit of verticality, a lot of rooms taking up two or more "floors", so it definetely feels like something in the vein of Quake I in terms of the playable space you're moving about. The only real downside is that sometimes it feels difficult to figure out where you're supposed to go, and while there is an automap it isn't amazingly helpful.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Speaking of old-school Star Wars FPS and non-FPS, GOG have a sale on right now:

https://www.gog.com/promo/20170502_special_promo_star_wars

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

fishmech posted:

There were still machines fast enough to play Doom but shipping without Windows or a mouse well into 1995.

Also, Windows 3.0 wasn't very popular. Windows 3.1 was the real breakthrough and didn't come out til mid-1992 and then Windows 95 was absolutely huge and marked the point where the mouse was just plain mandatory.
I feel like, at least anecdotally, win 95 was also a system seller. I know that's when I first got a tower pc, 2 desk speakers, mouse, keyboard form factor like we use today, vs. a computer built into a monitor or keyboard; or a horizontal computer with 2 floppy drives, etc.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Speaking of old-school Star Wars FPS and non-FPS, GOG have a sale on right now:

https://www.gog.com/promo/20170502_special_promo_star_wars

Huh. I always thought Shadows of the Empire was a N64 exclusive.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Console exclusive, but yeah, there was a PC version.

It's also notoriously difficult to get working on modern PCs, so the GOG rerelease tidying that up is quite handy. It's also a drat fun game in general, honestly; I expected the jank it'd naturally have from being an early 3D game would be overwhelming when I tried it on N64, but was surprised that it still played just fine. Only real gripe I have (particularly with the PC version) is that you can't change the vertical mouse axis away from "move forward/backward"...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I feel like, at least anecdotally, win 95 was also a system seller. I know that's when I first got a tower pc, 2 desk speakers, mouse, keyboard form factor like we use today, vs. a computer built into a monitor or keyboard; or a horizontal computer with 2 floppy drives, etc.

Oh yeah totally. You know how many copies of Windows 95 they sold in its first year? 40 million. In comparison Windows 3.0 had taken a full year to sell 4 million (eventually ending up around 6 million total before being pulled for Windows 3.1), and Windows 3.1 got through its first 3 million sales in 2 months (eventually reached 20-30 million copies by the time it was discontinued).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My first Doom was actually Doom95 and I still played it keyboard-only (and eventually with a four-button Gravis GamePad because I hated good controls apparently). It just never occurred to me to use a mouse for a video game. A mouse was what you used to click icons on your desktop, silly!

Shadow Hog posted:

It's also notoriously difficult to get working on modern PCs, so the GOG rerelease tidying that up is quite handy. It's also a drat fun game in general, honestly; I expected the jank it'd naturally have from being an early 3D game would be overwhelming when I tried it on N64, but was surprised that it still played just fine. Only real gripe I have (particularly with the PC version) is that you can't change the vertical mouse axis away from "move forward/backward"...

I'll probably end up getting it. I still have some Wallet funds from a previous refund.

Not a shooter but: would I like KotOR if I loved Mass Effect but don't really care for Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, or MMORPGs?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I don't know where this idea comes from that many DOS gamers didn't use mice by the time Doom came out. How do you expect people ever would have played, oh I dunno, The Secret of Monkey Island, Civilization, Lemmings, Dune II, Master of Orion, Syndicate...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Don't some of those support the arrow keys for cursor movement?

I mean, yes, I wouldn't want to play like that either, but I think the option was there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

Don't some of those support the arrow keys for cursor movement?

I mean, yes, I wouldn't want to play like that either, but I think the option was there.

Yeah, I played Lemmings keyboard-only. I never played Monkey Island back in the day, but Full Throttle allowed you to use the cursor with the keyboard so all of the SCUMM games probably did.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Linguica posted:

I don't know where this idea comes from that many DOS gamers didn't use mice by the time Doom came out. How do you expect people ever would have played, oh I dunno, The Secret of Monkey Island, Civilization, Lemmings, Dune II, Master of Orion, Syndicate...

My cousin was very insistent on playing Lemmings for DOS with some terrible joystick he had. I have no idea why.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I used to play almost everything with a flight sim joystick because I felt like it was inherently cooler than a mouse and more like the console gaming I envied. Still glad I had it for Tie Fighter and Descent, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Linguica posted:

Because lots of people didn't. Read the loving thread where people are sharing first-hand experience maybe?? :psyduck:

I used a mouse for lemmings but I definitely played doom on keyboard for a good while. Mouse-move was really dumb and mouse-look took awhile to become popular with everybody.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mak0rz posted:

My first Doom was actually Doom95 and I still played it keyboard-only (and eventually with a four-button Gravis GamePad because I hated good controls apparently). It just never occurred to me to use a mouse for a video game. A mouse was what you used to click icons on your desktop, silly!

I'll probably end up getting it. I still have some Wallet funds from a previous refund.

Not a shooter but: would I like KotOR if I loved Mass Effect but don't really care for Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, or MMORPGs?

KOTOR isn't an action game at all and it's turn based, so probably not. It's a serviceable pastiche of the original Star Wars trilogy with some memorable plot bits and a very nice soundtrack but the game itself is an easy d20-based party RPG. The second one improves a lot of the mechanics and is generally more fun, variable, and challenging to play, as well as somewhat better written, but has big pacing problems and a general lack of polish stemming from being rushed to deadline.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

My cousin was very insistent on playing Lemmings for DOS with some terrible joystick he had. I have no idea why.

I was going to joke and say "to be truer to the original Amiga version" but that can't be because the Amiga had a mouse, and in fact could support two mice which is why Lemmings had local multiplayer as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

I have to disagree with skasion and say yeah, probably. Especially if you liked Mass Effect 1. Like he said its not a shooter, but you already said that too so obviously you know it.

KOTOR is star wars and has an arguably better plot than mass effect. Unless you think all RPGs need to die in a fire, you'll probably love it. Its nothing like an MMO, except maybe the combat, but the combat is pretty simple to blast through so you can focus on the story.

Just watch a lets play for 5 minutes and if you don't find yourself wanting to turn it off, probably means you'll like it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

skasion posted:

KOTOR isn't an action game at all and it's turn based, so probably not. It's a serviceable pastiche of the original Star Wars trilogy with some memorable plot bits and a very nice soundtrack but the game itself is an easy d20-based party RPG. The second one improves a lot of the mechanics and is generally more fun, variable, and challenging to play, as well as somewhat better written, but has big pacing problems and a general lack of polish stemming from being rushed to deadline.

Zaphod42 posted:

I have to disagree with skasion and say yeah, probably. Especially if you liked Mass Effect 1. Like he said its not a shooter, but you already said that too so obviously you know it.

KOTOR is star wars and has an arguably better plot than mass effect. Unless you think all RPGs need to die in a fire, you'll probably love it. Its nothing like an MMO, except maybe the combat, but the combat is pretty simple to blast through so you can focus on the story.

Just watch a lets play for 5 minutes and if you don't find yourself wanting to turn it off, probably means you'll like it.

Sorry I should clarify that I loved the Mass Effect series, not just the first game. However I do prefer ME2 and 3's gameplay overall and found the first game janky and unfun a huge chunk of the time (usually during combat).

A lot of my friends are huge fans of it and I've certainly seen enough gameplay for it to look appealing, but I never could get into it at the time. I've gotten a little more into "cRPGs" like Fallout in recent years so that's why I'm wondering.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 2, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

KOTOR is a lot more like Mass Effect 1 than ME2, if that gives you an idea. It even has the same basic plot structure of "go to these 3 planets to chase the bad guy." It's also kind of hard to look at nowadays.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

fishmech posted:

Oh yeah totally. You know how many copies of Windows 95 they sold in its first year? 40 million. In comparison Windows 3.0 had taken a full year to sell 4 million (eventually ending up around 6 million total before being pulled for Windows 3.1), and Windows 3.1 got through its first 3 million sales in 2 months (eventually reached 20-30 million copies by the time it was discontinued).

Yea I hear everyone talk about DOS and 3.1 but for many, many people their first PC experience came with Windows 95.

My family grew up solidly middle-class, but we didn't get our first computer until 1995 specifically because of Windows 95 and my Dad getting jazzed about all the commercials. I remember he went all out too, shelling out a couple grand on an IBM 486 with dual detached speakers and CD-ROM! This was right around what many consider to be the start of the golden age of PC gaming, and it's no coincidence it occurred when Windows 95/CD-ROMs were getting mainstream.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

exquisite tea posted:

KOTOR is a lot more like Mass Effect 1 than ME2, if that gives you an idea. It even has the same basic plot structure of "go to these 3 planets to chase the bad guy." It's also kind of hard to look at nowadays.

Aw, it's not that bad. It was a nice looking game in its time and there's some decent art in there.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

david_a posted:

There's also Wings of Saint Nazaire, a retro spice-sim that uses sprites with all kinds of modern effects on top. It looks really cool in the handful of videos that exist but unfortunately the project is on extended hiatus.

I'm not quite sure how it works but a spice-sim soundspretty rad

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Cerepol posted:

I'm not quite sure how it works but a spice-sim soundspretty rad
It would obviously involve piloting an ornithopter and bombarding Harkonnen troops on the sands of Arrakis.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That, or you get to relive the glory days of the all-woman pop band Spice Girls firsthand.

So Spice World for the PS1, I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Sorry I should clarify that I loved the Mass Effect series, not just the first game. However I do prefer ME2 and 3's gameplay overall and found the first game janky and unfun a huge chunk of the time (usually during combat).

A lot of my friends are huge fans of it and I've certainly seen enough gameplay for it to look appealing, but I never could get into it at the time. I've gotten a little more into "cRPGs" like Fallout in recent years so that's why I'm wondering.

No I understood that you liked the whole mass effect series. I was saying in particular KOTOR is most like ME1. So if you like ME1, sure. But it sounds like you didn't, so maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Angry_Ed posted:

I was going to joke and say "to be truer to the original Amiga version" but that can't be because the Amiga had a mouse, and in fact could support two mice which is why Lemmings had local multiplayer as well.

Or one mouse and one joystick, since nobody had two mice. Of course, attempting to use a joystick was a bizarre chore where you had to rotate the stick clockwise or counter-clockwise to move the cursor either diagonal down-left or up-right. Unless it was just my Amiga joystick...