Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Perestroika posted:

I legitimately cannot tell whether this is for real or if you're just taking the piss. :psyduck:

Real as in "Is that really in the game?"

or

Real as in "That sounds interesting to you?"

Because yes to both, but without the needless sexual baggage in the second case.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Didn't Hideo have to be talked down from making Beauty and the Beast naked after you destroy the Beast form?

Yeah the BB Squad was WAAAAY more hosed up in initial drafts. Them being naked in the second half fights was not the worst by far. I think an early idea had you recruiting them to serve under you if you successfully beat them non-lethally, which has all sorts of hosed up connotations.

Crain has a new favorite as of 18:45 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Kojima is a guy who has some really great ideas, but also really dumb ones. At least Quiet has alternative outfits and her story arc actually has a decent ending, even if her outfit is really, really tacky. He tries to tackle some big themes and ideas, but doesn't always execute them in the most tasteful way.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

OldMemes posted:

Kojima is a guy who has some really great ideas, but also really dumb ones. At least Quiet has alternative outfits and her story arc actually has a decent ending, even if her outfit is really, really tacky. He tries to tackle some big themes and ideas, but doesn't always execute them in the most tasteful way.

Basically George Lucas syndrome. He needs a dedicated editor/partner to shoot down the dumber ideas.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I had to look up this BB unit thing.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Beauty_and_the_Beast_Unit

quote:

During development of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Hideo Kojima wanted the Beauty and the Beast Unit to be naked during cutscenes, though this would have severely affected the game's censorship rating. Yoji Shinkawa stated that the motion capture actors were asked to do the motion capture nude, though this could also not be used in the game.[5] Instead of being naked, the BB members wear form-fitting catsuits, which shows off their figure.

:psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OldMemes posted:

I put Quiet in her full body suit permanently as soon as I unlocked it. The explanation doesn't even make sense superficially because she canonically has the exact same parasites that gave The End from MGS3 his powers, and he wore a loving ghillie suit that covered everything but his liver spots.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The BB unit was the worst part of an already awful game.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Andrast posted:

The BB unit was the worst part of an already awful game.

Microwave tunnel.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crain posted:

Microwave tunnel.

the Ennui Tunnel owned actually

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I liked the microwave tunnel

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I just picked up Nier: Automata, and since it came up, can anyone tell me, spoiler free, do I get to change 2B's outfit at any point?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I just picked up Nier: Automata, and since it came up, can anyone tell me, spoiler free, do I get to change 2B's outfit at any point?

Uh, no. Not really. Not for anything better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You can explode her skirt off

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
After reading that MGS rundown, I suddenly don't feel like I'm missing anything in my life by dismissing Japanese video games (especially Capcom and Konami) completely without ever playing them.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

robotsinmyhead posted:

After reading that MGS rundown, I suddenly don't feel like I'm missing anything in my life by dismissing Japanese video games (especially Capcom and Konami) completely without ever playing them.

Phoenix Wright is good

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i only play video games made in former Yugoslavian states

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Is this a matter for concern, or the stupidest thing?

quote:

The second degree is a “cereal beat-in” during which the new member is punched and beaten by current members until the plebe can rattle off the names of five cereals (you know, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, Cheerios!)

The third degree reported involves “adhering to the masturbation regimen and getting a tattoo,” blogger Will Sommer wrote in a recent post.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

robotsinmyhead posted:

DARK SOHLS?!?!

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Mikl posted:

There was a comic strip some time back, I can't find it right now. It went something like this:

Kojima: "Quiet is almost naked all the time because she breathes through her skin."
Other dev (I forget who): "(other character) is almost naked all the time because (reason)."
Yoko Taro: "(other character) is almost naked all the time because I like to look at tits & rear end."

At least he's honest :shrug:

e. in spades, it's the Dresden Codak problem: it's OK to want to look at T&A, just don't try to make up dumb reasons for it and don't call it empowering for women.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

oldpainless posted:

DARK SOHLS?!?!

It is pretty nice that in Dark Souls armor looks identical on female characters to how it looks on male characters.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It is pretty nice that in Dark Souls armor looks identical on female characters to how it looks on male characters.

Except Pharis's Hat! :argh:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There are a couple alt outfits (really cool full body ones, too), but they're unlocked much later.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

These replies are amazing too

But 800,000 Soviet women fought on the front lines during the Second World War, and thousands more actively participated in combat as part of partisan resistance to the Nazis all across Europe...

Wait, never mind, we are living in Trump's America now. Whatever that dude says about the reality of World War 2 must be true--as all alternative facts are.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Every single one of these fuckers should wake up each morning with two thoughts in mind:
1) Wow, I am batshit insane.
2) Are we the baddies?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The more effort they spent on sexualising Cortana the more she became a damsel in distress. By Halo 4 she basically became a helpless child and looked like a 16 year old with anime proportions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

There was a comic strip some time back, I can't find it right now. It went something like this:

Kojima: "Quiet is almost naked all the time because she breathes through her skin."
Other dev (I forget who): "(other character) is almost naked all the time because (reason)."
Yoko Taro: "(other character) is almost naked all the time because I like to look at tits & rear end."

At least he's honest :shrug:

e. in spades, it's the Dresden Codak problem: it's OK to want to look at T&A, just don't try to make up dumb reasons for it and don't call it empowering for women.

I'm not sure if this is the one you're thinking about but I quite like this one.

And to slowly go in a more thread-fitting content direction...

edit: Oh whoops, I didn't realize that first comic was already posted in here.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 21:52 on May 2, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Please stop calling me Dick Dorkins

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm heartbroken to see you shun Final Fantasy Tactics so callously.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not sure if this is the one you're thinking about but I quite like this one.

And to slowly go in a more thread-fitting content direction...

Thank you both, that was the one I was thinking of :)

quote:

edit: Oh whoops, I didn't realize that first comic was already posted in here.

I'd always thought Dawkins was a pretty smart guy, I was amazed to discover he's a terrible poo poo on social media (and probably also real life). Like that one "abort and try again" tweet (or facebook post? I forget).

e. Tweet. This one, actually:

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/502106262088466432

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mikl posted:

I'd always thought Dawkins was a pretty smart guy, I was amazed to discover he's a terrible poo poo on social media (and probably also real life). Like that one "abort and try again" tweet (or facebook post? I forget).

Dick Dorkins was one of those guys who said something a lot of people liked on a specific subject so those same people decided that he must also have interesting thoughts on other topics. Turns out he's just as (and perhaps even more so) lovely as any other person!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Richard "minor pedophilia never hurt anybody" Dawkins is incredibly smart when it comes to biology. He's dumb as poo poo on literally every other subject.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Who What Now posted:

Richard "minor pedophilia never hurt anybody" Dawkins is incredibly smart when it comes to biology. He's dumb as poo poo on literally every other subject.

This is really common among scientists.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Edit: Nevermind. It is Dick Dorkins. gently caress that guy.

SwitchbladeKult has a new favorite as of 22:25 on May 2, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

I put Quiet in her full body suit permanently as soon as I unlocked it.

DDog is better anyways.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Stefanie Joosten actually does a really good job in the motion capture to give Quiet a lot of character via facial and body language, but that was completely overshadowed by the outfit being insanely tacky.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Did you miss the time that a prominent female at a skeptic conference was cornered in an elevator and harassed, well old Dick Dorkins said, publicly mind you, that "women in the middle east get genital multilations so I don't know why she's complaining"

A literal "somebody somewhere has it worse" argument loud and proud publically in response to a some creep getting sexually aggressive to a women in an elevator.

A lot of athiest/skeptic prominent people are real shitheals. Some kind of chicken and egg situation with lovely keyboard warriors that follow them I'm sure.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

Did you miss the time that a prominent female at a skeptic conference was cornered in an elevator and harassed, well old Dick Dorkins said, publicly mind you, that "women in the middle east get genital multilations so I don't know why she's complaining"

A literal "somebody somewhere has it worse" argument loud and proud publically in response to a some creep getting sexually aggressive to a women in an elevator.

A lot of athiest/skeptic prominent people are real shitheals. Some kind of chicken and egg situation with lovely keyboard warriors that follow them I'm sure.

A lot of prominent people in general are poo poo. The issue is when their rabid followers think of them as pinnacles of logic when they are doing/saying poo poo like this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dienes posted:

A lot of prominent people in general are poo poo. The issue is when their rabid followers think of them as pinnacles of logic when they are doing/saying poo poo like this.

I make a point of making GBS threads on Richard Dawkins during my lectures on evaluating sources: "Is the source an expert? Is the source an expert on this topic?"

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
The Independent article about DaddyOFive had a short video by Phillip DeFranco, and he talks about the abuse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoLmsXKkYM

gently caress I feel so loving bad for those kids, the first clip with the disappearing ink brought back some horrible flashbacks. I'm glad those assholes lost custody.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I might be mixing together separate incidents, is that the one where she talked about it later as a 'I get being excited and wanting to talk about that kinda stuff with me, but remember to pull it back a bit and not kinda corner me in an elevator and ask if I wanna come up to your hotel room' situation or did the one you're talking about get way worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

It is really a shame too. A lot of people lose their support network when they leave a faith. It is awful that void gets filled with the MRA dumpster fire that is the current sceptics movement.