Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Lobok posted:

Good thing for cops that water is so used to being kettled.

I appreciate this.

In other provincial election news, Nova Scotia is off to the polls at the end of May. The incumbent party sucks, the challengers are uninspiring, and there isn't (yet?) any particular issue that might make anyone give a gently caress. I haven't lived here very long but I get the sense that this is a particularly depressing election.

With any luck the NS Libs will continue their PR fuckups into the campaign and give us something to point at and laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Helsing posted:

Still not as bad as Freeland exploiting her Nazi granddad's past for political gain.

Still trying to cling desperately to this dumb point that was literally dug up by a foreign government because we said that government was doing bad things? Like, this isn't even a huge stretch conspiracy theory or anything, it's basically a dumb smear attempt.

The last time you clutched pearls over this dumb issue no one cared then.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 2, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It might be too fresh for any articles to have been written but London just approved ranked ballots for their 2018 election. First city in Canada*. It'll be a fascinating election to watch last year.

*first city to actually go through with it, seemingly. Toronto approved it in 2013 but reversed the decision last year before a ranked ballot election was ever held.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 2, 2017

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cowofwar posted:

People who don't vote: poor people, renters.
People who do vote: rich people, home-owners.

I think the latter has the fear that the NDP will torch their paper real estate gains, so four more years of BCLP I guess it is.

Looking at the NDP housing platform it's clearly designed to be immune from BC Liberal attacks that it would decrease homeowner equity, so it mostly focuses on foreign capital, tax evasion and pro-renter policies. Seems like a good idea on paper except that the resultant policies, like the $400 renter rebate, have been attacked as being ineffectual and not going far enough to create affordability. The NDP have again found themselves in a lose/lose situation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

namaste faggots posted:

You all deserve clark.

That anyone this corrupt could still poll this high, just loving lol

Couillard got elected in Quebec.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Who loving cares about the maritimes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lobok posted:

It might be too fresh for any articles to have been written but London just approved ranked ballots for their 2018 election. First city in Canada*. It'll be a fascinating election to watch last year.

*first city to actually go through with it, seemingly. Toronto approved it in 2013 but reversed the decision last year before a ranked ballot election was ever held.

Ranked ballots are actually pretty common in Canada, they're just usually for internal party elections rather than general elections. If Alberta's experience is anything to go on, what ranked ballots get you is a winner nobody likes and who is swiftly deposed by their own caucus.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 26, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Oysters Autobio posted:

Still trying to cling desperately to this dumb point that was literally dug up by a foreign government because we said that government was doing bad things? Like, this isn't even a huge stretch conspiracy theory or anything, it's basically a dumb smear attempt.

Actually for something to be a smear it would have to be inaccurate

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Oysters Autobio posted:

who's 'we'?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PittTheElder posted:

Ranked ballots are actually pretty common in Canada, they're just usually for internal party elections rather than general elections. If Alberta's experience is anything to go on, what ranked ballots get you is a winner nobody likes and who is swiftly deposed by their own caucus.

Common for parties, yeah. When politicians say it's too complicated a system they're basically saying the general populace is not as smart as their party members. But the system hasn't been tried for elections so it should be interesting to see how London votes.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

namaste faggots posted:

Who loving cares about the maritimes

Who cares about anything outside of Ontario?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SpannerX posted:

Who cares about anything?

There we go.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SpannerX posted:

Who cares about anything outside of Ontario?

Only Ontarians care about Ontario

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

mojo1701a posted:

There we go.

I was going to go with that, drat it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Manitoba is getting new schools using P3s, it allegedly worked well in Saskatchewan under noted god-premier Bradley Wall

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/schools-public-private-partnerships-pallister-1.4095152

quote:

The Progressive Conservative government is moving cautiously toward building four schools using public-private partnerships, Premier Brian Pallister announced Tuesday morning.

The province has issued a request for proposals for the construction of four schools using the funding model, which would see private companies design, build, finance and maintain the facilities. The schools would still be operated by school boards.

The announcement called for proposals to develop a business case for the public-private partnerships to build the schools, three in Winnipeg and one in Brandon.

The government estimates the four new schools built under this model will cost over $100 million.

"We owe it to taxpayers to consider how we can deliver high-quality services more cost-effectively," Pallister said in a news release.

The new schools in four school divisions were chosen based on higher enrolment pressures in the neighbourhoods, the release said. It would provide capacity for 2,500 students, with the ability to expand to 3,300.

The schools would be:

A kindergarten to Grade 5 French immersion school in the Seven Oaks School Division in northwest Winnipeg with a capacity of 450 students.
A kindergarten to Grade 8 school in the Waterford Green subdivision in Winnipeg's northwest corner with a capacity of 600 students.
A kindergarten to Grade 8 school in southeast Brandon with a capacity of 450 students.
A high school for Pembina Trails and Waverley West with a capacity of 1,000 students.
Each of the school facilities will also be designed to accommodate a child-care centre with 20 infant spaces and 54 preschool spaces, as is required by a Public Schools Finance Board policy.

Pallister spoke about the announcement at a conference on public-private partnerships Tuesday morning.

Many of the more than 350 people in the audience work in construction, design, accounting and legal sectors and would play roles in the government's interest in using public-private partnerships.

Pallister said Manitoba was well behind the rest of the country on this funding model for public works, noting there have been 56 such projects in Canada since 2012, but only three done in here.

"We're playing catch-up," Pallister said. "We are not that innovative here."

"We have to go beyond typical tax-payer funding," Pallister told the crowd.

Pallister maintained some caution about public private partnerships.

"They may, in some circumstances, deliver a better value at a lower price," he told the audience.

The PC government, Pallister said, has reviewed a Saskatchewan program to build 18 schools using public private partnerships and pledged to use a similar delivery model.

But Pallister appears to be committing his government to using public-private partnerships to fill in a growing infrastructure deficit.

"It isn't ideological, it's a practical matter," he said.

Education and Training Minister Ian Wishart said construction of new schools for Winkler and Niverville, which are also top-priority projects because of enrolment numbers, will be pursued through the traditional procurement model of design-bid-build, which means the building is government owned and supported.

The goal is for the schools to break ground during the 2019 construction season, Wishart said in the news release.

The deadline for submissions is June 15 with the contract to begin by Aug. 1.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
It just occurred to me that CI thinks you in B.C. all deserve Christy, and you all mock him for not leaving Vancouver.

The reality is far worse - you in B.C. are so awful that you deserve *CI*. He's angry about this as he can't leave Vancouver until you all shape up. No wonder he's enraged all the time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

my god is CI Rorschach? It would explain the verbal diarrhea and the inane ramblings.

Where's doctor manhattan when you need him

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

I follow Wab Kinew and he's a pretty good guy. He's admitted to being a bit of a shithead in the past and has worked hard to right his wrongs. But at this point I just want SOMEONE to take out Pallister from office.

Kinew running uncontested signals that the NDP have given up (which has been the case for some time now, but at least we know they've given up for the forseeable future as well). Pallister will at least get two terms now. It's officially the 90s in Manitoba again. Just replace "MTS" with "Hydro" in news stories from the 90s until 2026 or so.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Helsing posted:

Actually for something to be a smear it would have to be inaccurate

Well considering he wasn't a Nazi then yeah, your post is inaccurate.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

MA-Horus posted:

my god is CI Rorschach? It would explain the verbal diarrhea and the inane ramblings.

Where's doctor manhattan when you need him

Layton tried but instead he died of cancer

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

Manitoba is getting new schools using P3s, it allegedly worked well in Saskatchewan under noted god-premier Bradley Wall

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/schools-public-private-partnerships-pallister-1.4095152

quote:

The government estimates the four new schools built under this model will cost over $100 million.

Why is Manitoba averaging 25m per school? Ontario builds them for 12-16m with larger capacities and we obviously pay higher land costs.

quote:

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/2920317-are-new-halton-schools-in-jeopardy-/
The two new elementary schools that the board will open in September each cost about $9.5 million(11.5m 2017 dollars).

quote:

http://www.mypreserve.ca/news/new-catholic-elementary-school-to-open-september-2016/

The school will cost $15.92 million on a 5.93 acre site on 16 Mile Drive.

quote:

https://www.theifp.ca/news-story/6506617-hcdsb-trustees-vote-to-merge-holy-cross-st-francis-into-one-new-school/

The Board would be requesting $15.9 million in funding for the new school from the Ministry of Education

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

Why is Manitoba averaging 25m per school? Ontario builds them for 12-16m with larger capacities and we obviously pay higher land costs.

Likely because if it comes out to less they can use it for a headline.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Because that's the point of P3's.
You say a school will need to cost 5 billion dollars to build but with a P3 unleashing the efficiencies of the free market it will lower the cost to only 2 billion to the tax payer (with the rest being magical free money). Then the project gets built and comes in at 4.5billion total and everyone's wowed at the savings.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
It may cost less but the public will come out of the deal with the liabilities and the private will come out with the assets.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Kinew running uncontested signals that the NDP have given up (which has been the case for some time now, but at least we know they've given up for the forseeable future as well). Pallister will at least get two terms now. It's officially the 90s in Manitoba again. Just replace "MTS" with "Hydro" in news stories from the 90s until 2026 or so.

Pallister was going to get 2 terms anyways. He's playing the long game right now, his base is upset with him right now for not cutting fast and deep enough, but he's won over a lot of Moderates by appearing strategic and not ripping apart every last department now. It's the same thing Filmon did in the 90s really. Hydro sale and massive deep cuts will come in his 2nd mandate around the time that a scandal will erupt and unemployment will be peaking and the NDP(or reformed Manitoba Liberals lol) will take power.

Also the Manitoba NDP leadership race is in September and if no one else declares against Kinew, Steve Ashton will probably enter just to give the race some legitimacy and help his party.

cowofwar posted:

It may cost less but the public will come out of the deal with the liabilities and the private will come out with the assets.

This is the part of a P3 to build schools I struggle with, as far as my understanding goes it's basically the government putting up some money now for a company to design and build the schools and then the government pays them a pre-determined cost over a period of time to buy them out of the remaining costs of the school(plus interest) or is that completely off base?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Pallister was going to get 2 terms anyways. He's playing the long game right now, his base is upset with him right now for not cutting fast and deep enough, but he's won over a lot of Moderates by appearing strategic and not ripping apart every last department now. It's the same thing Filmon did in the 90s really. Hydro sale and massive deep cuts will come in his 2nd mandate around the time that a scandal will erupt and unemployment will be peaking and the NDP(or reformed Manitoba Liberals lol) will take power.

Also the Manitoba NDP leadership race is in September and if no one else declares against Kinew, Steve Ashton will probably enter just to give the race some legitimacy and help his party.

This is the part of a P3 to build schools I struggle with, as far as my understanding goes it's basically the government putting up some money now for a company to design and build the schools and then the government pays them a pre-determined cost over a period of time to buy them out of the remaining costs of the school(plus interest) or is that completely off base?

Basically a P3 is a way for the government to funnel taxpayer money to private enterprise. Functionally speaking, P3s tend to cost more government money and make worse products that are then run and maintained in worse ways than when the government does everything themselves.

It's especially ironic because most pure government contracts are already public-private in that the government issues an RFP (for, say, construction companies to build a school), tenders bids, and chooses one, and then the private company builds it for the government. But then the school remains in government hands and is operated by the government. P3s are different because they tend to be structured so that the private company continues to run the school (or whatever it is) after it's constructed, in exchange for a fee from the government. The theory is that the private sector will be more efficient than the government would be to run the thing, so the government can get away with paying a fee to the operating corporation that is lower than the cost would have been for the government to run the place on its own.

It almost never works out that way because we know that in practice the truism that the private sector is always more efficient is not actually true. The private companies cut corners, skimp on wages, and so on and so on (Zizek voice), in order to maximize the profit they're getting from their government fee, which means that a significantly smaller amount of money is actually being spent on the programming they're providing than would have been spent by the government (since first of all the fee the government is paying is supposed to be less than the government would have spent to run the place, and then the private company takes profits, executive wages, etc off the top of that), which typically leads to worse service. Often the government is also better able to get deals and cheap rates on things because they buy in bulk and have been running these things for a long time so they have a level of institutional and personal knowledge that a new private corporation doesn't have.

And then what often ends up happening is the private corporation finds out it can't actually run the place for the fee the government is paying them, because the government accepted the lowest bidder (or accepted a politician's friend's company that doesn't actually know what it's doing) and either delivers an unacceptable product, or backs out entirely, leaving the government to clean up their mess, or the government has to step in and provide more funding because the contracts are structured in such a way that the private corporation never actually loses money.

P3s are a scam.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 2, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Thank you for clarifying, I knew it sounded scammy from the government website.

The Senate Ethics Committee recommends expelling Don Meredith, good riddance

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/05/02/ethics-committee-to-table-report-on-senator-don-meredith.html

quote:

OTTAWA—The Senate’s ethics committee is recommending that disgraced Sen. Don Meredith be expelled from the upper chamber for engaging in a sexual relationship with a teenage girl.

It’s now up to the full Senate to decide whether to accept or reject the recommendation.

Meredith must be given five sitting days in which to respond to the committee report, should he wish, so a vote on his fate can’t occur before next Tuesday at the earliest.

The expulsion recommendation follows an explosive report from Senate ethics officer Lyse Ricard earlier this year.

She concluded that Meredith, a 52-year-old, married, Pentecostal minister, had begun a relationship with a 16-year-old girl that later became sexual; she also found that Meredith had abused his position as a senator to take advantage of the teen.

Meredith has called the affair a “moral failing” but insists he did not have intercourse with the girl until after she turned 18 and has rejected fellow senators’ near-universal demand that he resign.

More to come.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lovely P3s probably actually literally killed people in Ontario because the government switched the way it contracted out snow clearing on highways, started just accepting the lowest bidder on every contract, time to clear snow on the highways more than doubled, and in some cases it actually cost more money because the lowest bidder didn't even have the equipment to do the job correctly and the government had to buy it.

quote:

The province is cheaping out on winter road maintenance, Ontario's auditor general says.

In her 43-page special report on roads, Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk claims Ontario's motorists faced less safe winter highway conditions after the province made changes to how it contracted out winter road maintenance work.

She says that starting in 2009, the work was given primarily to the lowest bidders — bidders that she says did not have sufficient equipment to do the work.

"Over the past five years, winter highway maintenance service levels have declined from the level that Ontarians have historically been used to," Lysyk said in the report.

"The Ministry of Transportation has been successful in reducing and containing escalating winter maintenance costs, but the time it takes to clear highways during and after a storm, to make them as safe as possible for motorists in winter, has increased," Lysyk said.

The auditor general pointed to the average time to clear "Ontario's most-travelled highways" after a snow storm in 2009 and 2010 winter was 2.1 hours.

The average clear time in 2013 and 2014 winter more than doubled at 4.7 hours.

Lysyk noted in one case that the lowest bidder actually ended up costing more than the next-highest bidder, because the lowest bidder did not have the necessary equipment and the province had to pay for more equipment to clear roads properly.

If the next-highest bidder had been procured, the area could have been serviced with more equipment at a lower cost, she wrote.

Further, she wrote, more than one quarter of the areas where snowplowing was contracted out did not even meet the province's standard of clearing the most travelled highways within eight hours.

The Opposition Tories jumped on the report, accusing the governing Liberals of choosing savings over the safety of Ontarians.

PC transportation critic Michael Harris said the government "knowingly risked the lives" of Ontarians "to save a few dollars" on snowplowing.

Transportation minister Steven Del Duca called the province's highways "among the safest in North America" despite the report.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/province-choosing-savings-over-snow-clearing-on-highways-ag-report-claims-1.3053718

But it's okay because we can fine them for not fulfilling their contracts, except they can appeal those fines, and also we're locked into the contracts for another decade.

quote:

Companies clearing Ontario highways owe more than $2.5 million in fines for poor performance last winter, but there is little the government can do to collect, except wait.

The province levied $3.25 million in fines against its highway maintenance contractors during the winter of 2015-16, but has so far only collected $693,000, according to new figures provided to CBC News by the Ministry of Transportation.

Ontario's long-term contracts for winter maintenance give snow-clearing companies the right to appeal the fines, and Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said the dispute-resolution process takes time.

"We had asked them to consider short-circuiting what's in their contract and going directly to binding arbitration, something they're not required to do," Del Duca said in an interview. "They considered it, they rejected that."

The ministry says five contractors owing $2.56 million in fines from last winter are involved in the appeal process, which can be followed by mediation, then arbitration or litigation.

Auditor's followup

Ontario Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk's investigation last year into the winter highway maintenance program found that snow wasn't being cleared as quickly or as thoroughly as it had in the past.

In 2009, the ministry made changes to how it contracts out winter maintenance, favouring the lowest bidders with little regard for whether they could do the work.

The auditor general found that the quality of highway maintenance fell after that. "This was especially evident in the harsher winter of 2013/14, which led to us being asked to do this audit," the auditor said.

Del Duca promised immediate changes.

Lysyk recently released a followup to its investigation, saying the government has implemented eight of her 19 recommendations and is in the process of acting on another eight.

Among the improvements that Lysyk noted, the ministry has added 19 inspectors to monitor the quality of snow-clearing during storms and has tightened the process for dealing with contractors who fail to perform work up to standard.

"I feel good about the fact that the auditor found we have made significant progress since last year," Del Duca said. "I feel a particular responsibility to make sure that we do get it right."

But there has been little progress on Lysyk's recommendation to improve its selection of contractors by evaluating bidders' ability to clear the highways adequately. The government agreed, but since the audit in April 2015 it has only awarded one new contract under the stricter guidelines.

With three other contracts that came up for renewal, Lysyk said "bids came in higher than expected and, therefore, the procurement tenders were cancelled and the contracts were never awarded."

Still, Del Duca wants to reassure drivers that the highways will be properly cleared this winter.

"I think we're in a much stronger position certainly than we were a year or two ago and we'll continue to push as hard as we can to make sure we have a winter maintenance system that's functioning properly."

He points to faster updates to the province's highway conditions website and additional coverage on the new TrackMyPlow website.

The ministry sets targets for highways to be cleared within a certain number of hours after a storm, depending on the class of highway. The government says contractors met the targets provincially 97 per cent of the time last winter, up from 92 per cent in the more severe winters of 2013-14 and 2014-15.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/snowplow-companies-fines-highways-ontario-1.3892511

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 2, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Don Meredith did good work. Stop this witch hunt

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
:capitalism:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

A Typical Goon posted:

Well considering he wasn't a Nazi then yeah, your post is inaccurate.

This is where I start agreeing with Helsing ranting at you fuckers.

I'm with you when you make a point like "who the gently caress cares if Freeland said a dumb thing?"

But if you're going to say that "Oh, I just edited a paper putting out Nazi holocaust propaganda, that doesn't make me a Nazi" is a legitimate excuse for participating in the holocaust, then you are a Nazi apologist. That was exactly the argument rejected by tribunals after the war. Every single Nazi aside from Hitler himself could have said "I was just following orders and if I hadn't, then I would have had to face consequences ranging from no longer having access to looted Jewish wealth to becoming a victim of state violence myself," but that doesn't mean that there were no Nazis. There were Nazis and the editor of a paper publishing anti-Jewish propaganda for Hitler in Poland during the holocaust is absolutely a loving Nazi.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my god shut up who loving cares there are more important things to worry about in this country

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god shut up who loving cares there are more important things to worry about in this country

Exactly! Like making housing more affordable or something! Luckily Alberta is here to lead the way and show Canada how to do it right, once again :smuggo:

quote:

Edmonton's first shipping-container apartment building under construction

The developer behind Edmonton's first apartment block made entirely of shipping containers is looking to build more.

Westgate Manor, at 95th Avenue and 163th Street, looks like any walkup and inside, the suites are complete with bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms, all finished in drywall.

But the 20-unit apartment building is put together with 48 steel shipping containers.

The containers were modified in Calgary and prefabricated into apartments. They are then shipped to Edmonton and stacked together. The building's three storeys are expected to take a little more than a day to erect.

"Just like Lego and that sort of thing," said Larry Slywka, director of construction with Ladacor Advanced Modular Systems. "You rebuild everything and minimize the amount of work you do on site which is so intriguing.

"With sea containers everything is steel so you have a better fire rating in the building as well," he said.

AJ Slivinski, a commercial real estate investor and property manager, has been wanting to construct a building out of shipping containers for years, but had trouble finding interested partners.

"A lot of them weren't interested," said Slivinski. "They were so busy with Fort McMurray growth and setting up camps, so they didn't want to get into residential space."

Slivinski, with Step Ahead Properties, cites reuse of materials, quick construction, cheaper financing and less disruption as advantages over traditional materials.

A typical wood frame apartment would take close to a year to build. He expects this one to be done in three months.

"This is an infill site. We didn't want to disturb other neighbours or at least keep it down to a minimum and this type of construction alleviates that," he said.

The one- and two-bedroom suites will be available for rent in August and are expected to rent for a little more than $1,000.

Slivinski is looking for more property and to build higher than three floors on his next project.

"We have looked at going higher because, as we move more and more towards the downtown, to make the projects commercially viable you need to go up."

In October, an Edmonton company opened show homes made of shipping containers.

Ladacor Advanced Modular Systems, the same company constructing Westgate Manor, also built a 60-room hotel in Bruderheim.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Containers are terrible for housing, why hasn't this fad died out?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
gonna make a sweet post-apoc slum

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Artisanal sustainable condos

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Because they're hard to get rid of and piling up fast.

40 foot containers are seriously worth less in alberta than they cost to even truck back to the coast.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

pokeyman posted:

I appreciate this.

In other provincial election news, Nova Scotia is off to the polls at the end of May. The incumbent party sucks, the challengers are uninspiring, and there isn't (yet?) any particular issue that might make anyone give a gently caress. I haven't lived here very long but I get the sense that this is a particularly depressing election.

With any luck the NS Libs will continue their PR fuckups into the campaign and give us something to point at and laugh.

like this?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/n-s-liberal-leader-under-fire-for-comments-about-female-candidates-1.3393863

quote:

HALIFAX -- The leader of Nova Scotia's Progressive Conservative party is demanding an apology from the premier, saying Stephen McNeil has made "thoughtless and dismissive comments" about women candidates in the May 30 provincial election.

Jamie Baillie, campaigning today in Halifax, took aim at comments McNeil made Monday when asked why his party has the fewest female candidates.

McNeil said he was proud of his party's record, noting that the Liberals have elected more women to the house of assembly than any other party.

However, the premier also suggested that some female candidates running for the other parties are contesting ridings they can't possibly win, which he said is a strategy he doesn't support.

The premier said it's important to place women in winnable ridings so that they can be appointed to positions of influence.

Baillie issued a statement today saying the premier's comments were shocking because they suggest young women shouldn't follow their dreams, "even when the odds are stacked against them."

"This is absolutely not the message I give and reinforce with my own daughters or women who choose to run for the PC Party of Nova Scotia," Baillie said. "Yesterday, Stephen McNeil devalued the contributions of women candidates with insulting and offensive remarks."

I don't think he's wrong, but you know, you can't be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There's a stretch of road near my house with BC Liberal election signs every 10 feet. I'm no politics guy but that seems like a waste.