Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

Why are we arguing about what constitutes a sandwich anyway? We're not angling for an exemption on a tax or tariff.

Because all life is inherently meaningless anyway so this is as valid as any other way to spend what little time we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh, the Mr Peanutbutter approach to happiness? Nevermind then, carry on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Male Circumcision. Yay or nay?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Covok posted:

Because all life is inherently meaningless anyway so this is as valid as any other way to spend what little time we have.

Soon I will leave this body and death will have no meaning.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LuiCypher posted:

Designers and Dragons seems to suggest that a lot of really bad decisions at Wizards/Hasbro that were made to try to push its revenue up into a 'core' brand are to blame.

First, there was a lot of foot-shooting going on with the changes made to the OGL license that just sort of peed in the faces of a lot of people who were interested in producing content for 4e.

Then, Wizards/Hasbro seemed intent on aggressively creating hostile competition by laying off nearly every goddamn important person associated with the D&D brand.

Then, there was Gleemax/D&D Insider. Insider was particularly bad because it spited every single publisher who tried to make content for 4e by ensuring that only Wizards' 4e products worked with it.

4e, despite being a great and well-designed game, was hamstrung at nearly every available opportunity by upper management that also had the nasty side-effect of creating a lot of discontent among fans.

What Mearls did was just a mercy killing. Hasbro basically killed 4e in the crib.

...I also find it hilarious that Hasbro is trying to start their own convention (HasCon) when the first thing they did after acquiring Wizards was jettison GenCon.

Thanks for this, I should pick up that book. While 5e has some cool ideas I wish they hadn't scrapped basically every cool idea that came out of 4e.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kwyndig posted:

Why are we arguing about what constitutes a sandwich anyway? We're not angling for an exemption on a tax or tariff.
I wouldn't mind these meme joke arguments if any of them were even a little bit funny or interesting.

I'm Chaotic Pineapple on Pizza btw

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Halloween Jack posted:

I wouldn't mind these meme joke arguments if any of them were even a little bit funny or interesting.

I'm Chaotic Pineapple on Pizza btw

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, someone made a pokemon tabletop rpg called Majimonsters. Not sure if its any good or just crap.

Too bad I'm more interested in a Digimon tabletop rpg because I'm human trash, though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Thanks for this, I should pick up that book. While 5e has some cool ideas I wish they hadn't scrapped basically every cool idea that came out of 4e.

If you want the history of D&D, you'll need the 1970-1979 book (for TSR) and the 1990-1999 book (for Wizards of the Coast).

If you're looking for just one book, 1990-1999 covers D&D 4e by way of Wizards of the Coast.

To be fair though, Mearls did flat-out remove Fighter daily powers in Essentials because they shouldn't be like wizards.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

So, someone made a pokemon tabletop rpg called Majimonsters. Not sure if its any good or just crap.

Too bad I'm more interested in a Digimon tabletop rpg because I'm human trash, though.

PTU is fine

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Male Circumcision. Yay or nay?
Not a sandwich. Uncircumcised, arguably a sandwich.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Splicer posted:

Uncircumcised, arguably a sandwich.
The presence of cheese certainly indicates towards that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

as a radical sandwich anarchist i propose that the entire human is a sandwich

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FMguru posted:

Cripes

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
edit: that was from a page back and my joke wasn't that good

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 2, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FMguru posted:

Dude, wash your sandwich.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
So, uh, I finished making a tabletop RPG. I've done it before, but my first one kind of sucked, and this one is bigger, better, and fancier. I also figured out how to do discounts on DriveThruRPG.

So, here is a discount code for the PDF, if anybody wants to throw down two bucks for d10 anime nonsense. Code is good until May 5th, and does not have limited uses as far as I know, so if you want to send the code to a friend or something then by all means. Not sure if this is the absolute most appropriate thread to put it in, but I wanted to give the discount to as many TG goons as possible. I don't post much, but lurking and reading a metric rear end ton of threads has drastically changed my opinion of how to do games over the years, and given me a bunch of ideas and a bunch of other games to be looking at in terms of what to do (and what not to do). This seemed like a decent way to shamelessly plug my game say thanks to the forum.

A print version is also in the works, but that's at the whims of DriveThruRPG right now and I don't know how long that usually takes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Covok posted:

Just play Pokethulhu okay

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

I have a hankering for running a bit of a sandbox game so this is an interest check.

Anyone interested in playing a Mutant Year Zero or Vampire the Masquerade (20th Anniversary core book) sandbox game via discord?

The VtM game would be physically based in GTA 5 and have some old World of Darkness adversaries.

This got lost in the dick-cheese posts, but I'm very down!

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Scyther posted:

A sandwich is a food that uses one or more sliced, hollowed, or whole pieces of bread that have been baked prior to assembly (i.e: a pizza is not a sandwich as the toppings are added to the unbaked dough, nor are poptarts sandwiches) to hold one or more toppings.

Toppings can be placed between multiple slices of bread (conventional sandwich, burger, etc), between multiple individually baked flatbreads (e.g naan sandwich), it can be wrapped in a flatbread (e.g wrap, burrito), placed on top of a single slice (open-faced sandwich), inserted into a hollowed out bread (such as a pita) etc.

Are you telling me that clam chowder in a bread bowl is a sandwich?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Serf posted:

as a radical sandwich anarchist i propose that the entire human is a sandwich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3_UHG73oQ

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

Are you telling me that clam chowder in a bread bowl is a sandwich?

I mean the alternative would be to admit I was wrong, and this is the internet, so if you'll excuse me I'm going to go enjoy my clam chowder sandwich.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

*emerges from a crystalline pool*

my man, have you considered FATE?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

more like the parisian catacombs

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Actually, I had a weird idea for a game that borrowed ideas from Chuubos since, when you boil digimon down, the person who wins the episode is often the person who learned a lesson. Turn the Lesson into a quest, person to the left of you at chargen is your digimon, your digimon have quests to their next evolution, people rotate to be the center of focus for the episode, being a higher evolution gives you an edge.

It wouldn't literally be chuubos, but it'd be inspired by it.

How would I handle the fact that digimon were supposed to grow with their partners on an emotional level and represent the element of their personality they sometimes lacked?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

Isn't this literally "Monsters and Other Childish Things" ?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
poo poo. Guys. I've gone too far down this sandwich rabbit hole and now I'm asking questions like "Is a quesadilla a grilled cheese sandwich?"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Monsters and Other Childish Things already exists though?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I looked Majimonsters and they look like Neopet rejects

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cease to Hope posted:

more like the parisian catacombs

Fun story: when I went on a tour of the catacombs they'd search everyone's bags on the way out. The security guard had a small pile of femurs and skulls next to him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Nah, isn't MAOCT more like a goth with an "imaginary" friend who hurts they hate in a macabre take on a childhood reality and less, well, this...nevermind as it seems like there are next to no digimon videos on youtube that aren't amvs or video games. So, anyway, that isn't more a mecha series meets the archetype of "a boy and his dog."

I mean, do you usually go on adventures in a world run by evil monster overlords and fight bad monsters with reused animation in sparse enviroments in MAOCT?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

ROFL, yeah, those look bad.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Covok posted:

Nah, isn't MAOCT more like a goth with an "imaginary" friend who hurts they hate in a macabre take on a childhood reality and less, well, this...nevermind as it seems like there are next to no digimon videos on youtube that aren't amvs or video games. So, anyway, that isn't more a mecha series meets the archetype of "a boy and his dog."

I mean, do you usually go on adventures in a world run by evil monster overlords and fight bad monsters with reused animation in sparse enviroments in MAOCT?

You're a kid with a monster buddy and do monster buddy kid poo poo, I think you may have combined Little Fears and MaoCT together.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
A Chuubos hack for digimon could be cool. You'd just need to decide what sort of digimon thing you're trying to copy. Like originally digimon were tomagatchis for boys that could fight. The digimon video games tend to be more dungeon-crawly like pokemon or persona. Most people think of the digimon anime seasons 1-3, I guess? Season 4 is weird and the kids are power rangers instead of having a digimon partner.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

You're a kid with a monster buddy and do monster buddy kid poo poo, I think you may have combined Little Fears and MaoCT together.

Do you fight other monsters and try to save the universe? Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to get exactly the expected adventure of MaoCT.

Nuns with Guns posted:

A Chuubos hack for digimon could be cool. You'd just need to decide what sort of digimon thing you're trying to copy. Like originally digimon were tomagatchis for boys that could fight. The digimon video games tend to be more dungeon-crawly like pokemon or persona. Most people think of the digimon anime seasons 1-3, I guess? Season 4 is weird and the kids are power rangers instead of having a digimon partner.

It'd probably be based on adventure (which also covers Savers, Adventure 02, and, to an extent), Tamers). Maybe Froniter and it's Power Range thing could be an option. I grew up before X-Cross so that's blank to me.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Plutonis posted:

That doesn't look like anything to me.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

I've only given MAOCT but I also mostly think of Digimon as Tamers, which is my fav of the series so...

You could do a lot of games for the "go on adventures and fight an evil overlord." I think a quick reskin of Battle Century G would do it if nothing else.

Now I'm tempted to make a Digimon homebrew...
It'd probably be mad jank though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nuns with Guns posted:

FATE is barely even a game

Moriatti posted:

The only major flaw with using that game for this is that it has no way of modeling Digimon's evolution mechanics, and that's essential for the experience in my opinion

Moriatti posted:

I've only given MAOCT but I also mostly think of Digimon as Tamers, which is my fav of the series so...

You could do a lot of games for the "go on adventures and fight an evil overlord." I think a quick reskin of Battle Century G would do it if nothing else.

Now I'm tempted to make a Digimon homebrew...
It'd probably be mad jank though.

Sounds interesting enough, really if you can nail the evolution mechanics than a modified BCG/Z would work really well for that

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Plutonis posted:

That frog is my spirit animal. I remember Kiry fighting that cloud. And then there's just a shaggy Pangoro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Doodmons posted:

I love the facial expression of the Diabolic Tutor guy. He's like "ohhhhh poo poo that's a really good idea goddamn why didn't I think of that, well done Mr Skeleton this is gonna be great."

fwiw I'm pretty sure that "guy" is an artist's rendition of 4e designer Rob Heinsoo

• Locked thread