Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Makoto's ultimate gun is so much better than everyone else ultimate weapons that it's kind of comical. Other people have things like "reduce Curse damage" or "+10 Magic" or "deals elemental damage" (which is cool, actually), but Makoto's just straight-up makes her better at everything.

I've seen some people say "boy they really want you to use Makoto, huh" but I actually think she kind of needs that boost in the late game to stay a good party member. Yeah, she has Marakukaja and she's almost as good of a healer as Morgana (and if you need Morgana's Salvation regularly you done hosed up so Morgana's honestly overkill there). But the extra Agility and Magic she gets from her ultimate gun can help her stay competitive with damage and move quickly enough that she's going to go first in just about any battle where the party isn't surrounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Speaking of gun transmutation, if you're running low on Model Guns, here's a hot tip: Crank the capsule machines in Akihabara until you get a Mothman figurine, then talk to the guy standing right next to the machines and he'll give you a Model Gun for it. You can do this as many times as you want. Thankfully this isn't Persona 4, and turning the dial doesn't take up your afternoon :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also it is good bet to give Ryuji Mjolnir as it gives a good boost to his electric attacks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Also it is good bet to give Ryuji Mjolnir as it gives a good boost to his electric attacks.

I thought it meant that it gave his melee attacks an electric attribute. Is it actually just like an Elec Boost weapon?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I thought it meant that it gave his melee attacks an electric attribute. Is it actually just like an Elec Boost weapon?

Yep

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Ryuji already learns Elec Boost though, and there's nothing really compelling to replace it with.

Unlike a lot of other characters, Ryuji only really has one final skill-list that makes any sense; God's Hand, Agneyastra, Charge, Matarukaja, Ziodyne, Maziodyne, Elec Boost, Evade Wind.

I guess if Mjolnir gives Elec Boost, you could swap it for Shock Boost in his skill list? That'd give him a slight penalty in his standard attack power from the Super Megido Rod, though. And if you aren't rolling Auto-Mataru on Joker, there's also the Ruyi Jingu Bang to consider.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 2, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Who uses Ryuji's electric spells for damage though?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Instant Grat posted:

Ryuji already learns Elec Boost though, and there's nothing really compelling to replace it with.

Unlike a lot of other characters, Ryuji only really has one final skill-list that makes any sense; God's Hand, Agneyastra, Charge, Matarukaja, Ziodyne, Maziodyne, Elec Boost, Evade Wind.

I guess if Mjolnir gives Elec Boost, you could swap it for Shock Boost in his skill list? That'd give him a slight penalty in his standard attack power from the Super Megido Rod, though. And if you aren't rolling Auto-Mataru on Joker, there's also the Ruyi Jingu Bang to consider.

Might as well take shock boost instead of elec boost since you can't make up for the former on a weapon. You will never use your normal attack on him anyways so the lower weapon damage on Mjolnir doesn't matter.

I also found that Swift Strike was way more consistent than Agneyestra. It's pitiful when it hits once :(

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished the game, and while the impact was dulled because i spoiled myself like an idiot+ was butthurt about spoiling myself I still had a good time. Also (finale spoilers) while I knew Igor was a fake I wasn't expecting the endgame to suddenly become a heroic SMT Chaos Route and that kicked total rear end

so my pros/cons

+ stylish as gently caress
+ story and characters rule
+ the huge amount of elements + the ability to switch teammates/give inactive members exp encourages you to actually use everyone instead of just assembling a team of benchwarmers
+ music also rules
+ good s-links

- some activities pointlessly eat up time for little benefit
- the game eats through your money incredibly quickly
- demon negotiation is still bad(though Sun takes a lot of the edge off of it)
- some of the s-link unlocks should probably have been in by default

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Yinlock posted:

- some activities pointlessly eat up time for little benefit
- the game eats through your money incredibly quickly

Not everything has to be strictly for a mechanical benefit I think. I like making coffee with Coffee Dad, even if it isn't the most optimal thing to be doing on that particular evening. And it's better than it has been in the past (capsule machine...).

And the money thing is counterbalanced by the fact that money is easier and faster to come by in this game than it's ever been as long as you go to Mementos with the ability to confuse enemies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you think activities are randomly eating up time, it's way better than P4G's set. I think P4 is arguably better paced, as the time wasting scenes are usually pretty fun (or dumb as far as figuring out the next crime scene goes), and you don't have a cat telling you you can't do something at night.

I do think better money flow would have been nice. If you're not abusing Confuse on Memento bosses you can run dry very easily especially as you're filling out the Compendium. Like the game's not doing a good job selling me on making use of Iwai's guns if there's never a cost-effective reason to buy and upgrade new guns.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Star 10s unlock skill is so ridiculously good while also not bring entirely game-breaking that I'm astonished it's locked behind a 10 rank social link. It should be available the second you get Yusuke imo.

edit: It's not even the skill that carries over into ng+ ! :psyduck:

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 2, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Star 10s unlock skill is so ridiculously good while also not bring entirely game-breaking that I'm astonished it's locked behind a 10 rank social link. It should be available the second you get Yusuke imo.

All party members should also get full XP without a social link.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If nothing else, Star rank 1's ability should just be baseline. Rank 10 letting you swap during anyone's turn is a pretty compelling reason to rank up Star, but being able to swap in-battle feels so natural for a game like this that it shouldn't be related to a confidant at all. (Just like how I don't think Baton Pass should be gated by confidant rank for party members, either.)

Star's rank 1 ability is kind of a non-issue because I'm pretty sure you can meet her and start her confidant pretty shortly after you recruit Yusuke, but still, it didn't really need to be a confidant thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I never used the confuse trick, fused a couple persona way above my level, made liberal use of affinity readings, and still ended the game with almost a million.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

oh my god I just got to Mementos and your mystery van is the Catbus.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Rangpur posted:

Legit my favorite part of the game so far.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

Not everything has to be strictly for a mechanical benefit I think. I like making coffee with Coffee Dad, even if it isn't the most optimal thing to be doing on that particular evening. And it's better than it has been in the past (capsule machine...).

And the money thing is counterbalanced by the fact that money is easier and faster to come by in this game than it's ever been as long as you go to Mementos with the ability to confuse enemies.

Coffee Dad Time is always good, i'm thinking more of the batting cages or fishing

I never knew about the confuse trick for bosses, I did make quite a bit of money from chihaya's readings + star's double-money thing but I burnt through it all incredibly quickly at the endgame

yes I need a super endgame persona for each element even if i'm just going to use yoshitsune/trumpeter

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

I love how the game explicitly acknowledges the influence of Totoro by being like "this is a popular cognition for some reason"

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I like how they're all "For some reason a cat turning into a bus is a common thing people believe. hmm wonder why :confused:" as though none of them have ever seen My Neighbor Totoro. Which, hell, maybe they haven't. loving millennials.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Baby Babbeh posted:

I like how they're all "For some reason a cat turning into a bus is a common thing people believe. hmm wonder why :confused:" as though none of them have ever seen My Neighbor Totoro. Which, hell, maybe they haven't. loving millennials.

We must all make sacrifices in the name of the greater copyright law.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Makoto's ultimate gun is so much better than everyone else ultimate weapons that it's kind of comical. Other people have things like "reduce Curse damage" or "+10 Magic" or "deals elemental damage" (which is cool, actually), but Makoto's just straight-up makes her better at everything.

I've seen some people say "boy they really want you to use Makoto, huh" but I actually think she kind of needs that boost in the late game to stay a good party member. Yeah, she has Marakukaja and she's almost as good of a healer as Morgana (and if you need Morgana's Salvation regularly you done hosed up so Morgana's honestly overkill there). But the extra Agility and Magic she gets from her ultimate gun can help her stay competitive with damage and move quickly enough that she's going to go first in just about any battle where the party isn't surrounded.

Hey man, you know I'm with you on the Makoto best girl train, but +10 to everything is overkill (not that it'll stop me from giving it to her). If it were +5 to everything maybe that would be more reasonable but she already has a good niche of being a waaaaay bulkier alternative to Morgana with Marakukaja access, with a severe damage spell to round things out.

If there's one party member who'd need that, it'd be Yusuke quite frankly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah, Yusuke needs more than that +10 Agility he gets. He's just totally outclassed in boss fights by just about everyone and even though he's a decent sweeper in random battles (especially with the big Baton Pass damage bonus attacks), Haru beats the hell out of him there. He needs better multi-hit attacks, maybe, or just some sort of niche. I'd almost say give him Debilitate but that might make him too good all on its own, I dunno.

Really the only reason Makoto's +10 to everything is overkill is because a) she's already really fast, and b) what's she really going to use that Strength, Endurance, or Luck for in the endgame? It's not like anyone kept Vajra Blast around in her skill list, she's already got one of the highest HP totals, and she doesn't have a single thing that relies on Luck. Honestly she could've just gotten +10 Magic and she'd be just as great.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The ultimate weapons are really weird, because they seem balanced primarily around the level of the Persona you itemize for them and which characters the devs like than like, against each other, or mechanically suited to the character. Some of them are ridiculously good and others are worse than stuff you can buy from Iwai.

Like both of Ryuji's itemizable melee weapons have 30 less attack power and like 5-10 less accuracy than poo poo you can buy from Iwai, in exchange for strengthening his electric spells (which there's no reason to use other than hitting weaknesses on trash at that point anyway) or giving him a lower crit bonus than one of Makoto's two better itemize weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Joker's ultimate weapons are some weak poo poo, too. Paradise Lost is cool as hell, but its bonus is just taking less Curse damage? Really?

Tyrant Pistol's +10 Magic is nice, though you kind of have to go pretty far out of your way to make magic a more attractive option than physical when Yoshitsune is, like, right there. It's definitely possible to make a magic Persona that wrecks as much poo poo as Yoshitsune does, but it takes a lot more effort.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The worst part of Mjolnir is that not only did they not bother to give it a model that looks like SMT Thor's hammer, they didn't even give it the existing hammer model that some of Ryuji's other weapons use. It looks like a morning star

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I hated the 5th Palace since I relied on Physical attacks to wipe out mobs and it felt 2x the length of the earlier places due to running around the map. I hope it gets better since I'm winding down to the final stages and I never used Haru...

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Harrow posted:

Joker's ultimate weapons are some weak poo poo, too. Paradise Lost is cool as hell, but its bonus is just taking less Curse damage? Really?

Tyrant Pistol's +10 Magic is nice, though you kind of have to go pretty far out of your way to make magic a more attractive option than physical when Yoshitsune is, like, right there. It's definitely possible to make a magic Persona that wrecks as much poo poo as Yoshitsune does, but it takes a lot more effort.

I was about to ask if Joker gets any ultimate weapons that even compare to Makoto's, but I guess not.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zhaan posted:

I was about to ask if Joker gets any ultimate weapons that even compare to Makoto's, but I guess not.

He gets a +5 to everything gun that comes from itemizing Metatron, which is weird because Michael is a component in fusing Metatron and he itemizes into Makoto's crazy-rear end gun.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zhaan posted:

Your options are either +10 Magic, Curse Resistance or +5 to everything. Makoto's gun is ridiculous and there's nothing that compares to it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ChaosArgate posted:

Your options are either +10 Magic, Curse Resistance or +5 to everything. Makoto's gun is ridiculous and there's nothing that compares to it.

Given his actual stat flexibility/grinding capability, the +5 gun is probably actually about equal to Makoto's +10.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
It's me, I think Morgana was consistently better than Makoto for most of the game. Note that I am playing Merciless so my level is about 7 lower than average on any given day:

Makoto gets spells much later than Morgana, especially Mediarama. Level 41, really? Mediarahan at 65? I beat Palace 7 at 57!

Nuclear technicals for real damage off of hard to inflict statuses. If I need to open up an enemy I'd rather apply a mental one that Psi feeds on. Meanwhile, Lucky / Miracle Punch is almost always worth tossing out for the chance of decent damage / baton pass.

Before Marakukaja she didn't have much to contribute, and applying Tarunda was much better than individual rakukajas.

Until level 48 (late Palace 6, early palace 7) all she has going for her is Dekaja and some toughness against Miracle Punch, earlier spell access, some minor utility in recarm. Granted, once you do get 48 Marakukaja is way better than Masukunda.

Also I specifically brought in Yusuke for Palace 7 boss, having access to Masukukaja and items was better than what Ryuji could do (killed him with -karn reflected damage)

Does anyone have documentation on what exactly each stat does? I mean, generally I know str increases physical damage etc., but I was looking for more detail, especially with luck.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Baby Babbeh posted:

Its just like in Anns early S Link when shes talking about how much she admires a "certain femme fatale thief" from a cartoon she watched as a kid

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Harrow posted:

Isnt there a 4-8 hit bless attack on one of the DLC personas?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Meme Emulator posted:

Yes Kaguya/Kaguya Picaro.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Meme Emulator posted:

there is but the tradeoff is it gives you an attack debuff afterwards

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlestonJew posted:

????

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

CharlestonJew posted:

Nope, that's a different skill on a different DLC Persona.

It's irrelevant because you shouldn't buy the DLC Personas.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Messiah (which I believe came out today) itemizes into some really kickass armor but other than that nothing, DLC or otherwise, will come close to invincible Yoshitsune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Meme Emulator posted:

Its just like in Anns early S Link when shes talking about how much she admires a "certain femme fatale thief" from a cartoon she watched as a kid

Considering they used Arsene Lupin, I'm surprised they didn't reference his descendant.