Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ok cool but do are you denying that when present IME poses a significant threat of compromise and can provide persistence to malware in its default state? if you arent then prove otherwise or gently caress off i guess? no one has time for bs semantics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm denying that ime is active in systems where both components are not present, which is what bangersinmyknickers claimed

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

i'm denying that ime is active in systems where both components are not present, which is what bangersinmyknickers claimed
because it looks like you're saying that ime is inactive even when the operation system sees that the devices exist

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ok cool good luck proving a negative.

someone post something interesting to clear the air pls? all ive got is apparently krebs has found a SaaS outfit which is accidentally exposing their customer list via their sitemap:

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/859430935711887360

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 2, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

because it looks like you're saying that ime is inactive even when the operation system sees that the devices exist

because the OS says those devices exist even when the CPU does not support IME. how is this not coming across? the claim you guys are making is that if either (but not both) of the two components required for a functional IME are present, then it's exploitable. i've not seen any evidence of that and none of the linked sources appear to suggest that.

but yes, this is surprisingly tedious. if an exploit comes out i'll test it on the i3 box and reply with my findings

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 2, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
removed. sorry, I think it turned out to be a joke?

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 2, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no way.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

dont doxx me and my employer.

e: lol now my post makes zero sense because war dogs edited theirs!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 2, 2017

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
infernal machines you might just want to stop before you're too far back for you to catch up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Migishu posted:

infernal machines you might just want to stop before you're too far back for you to catch up

okay, if anyone comes up with proof that IME is active and exploitable when only one of the two required components is present, please post it. i'll apologize unreservedly

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

RIP infernal machines, thought of IME and died

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

okay, if anyone comes up with proof that IME is active and exploitable when only one of the two required components is present, please post it. i'll apologize unreservedly
you went from "sure it's supported on cpus but it's NOT supported on motherboards" to "ok it's supported on motherboards but that DOESN'T mean it's supported by the cpu"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

you went from "sure it's supported on cpus but it's NOT supported on motherboards" to "ok it's supported on motherboards but that DOESN'T mean it's supported by the cpu"

yeah, there are both. there are two scenarios where one but not both of the required components for IME may be present. the original claim was that this was irrelevant and it was exploitable regardless.

a bunch of people here posted screenshots of device manager on boards that do support it. there are boards that do not support IME and don't have that device. you can still install an i5 or an i7 that has vPro support in them.

likewise you can install a celeron, pentium, or i3 that does not support vpro in one of those boards they took the screen shots from. in either case, IME should not be active because it requires both chipset and cpu support.

this is not difficult

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like, i really don't get what's so contentious about this.

IME is used as a differentiating feature on both platform and CPU skus. some don't have it and you can mix and match those components, but according to intel you need both for it to work. if the ones that don't have it actually do, and it's exploitable then fine, but i'd like to see someone demonstrate that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Infernal Machine Engine

infernal machine's enigma

idk that's all i got

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

yeah, there are both. there are two scenarios where one but not both of the required components for IME may be present. the original claim was that this was irrelevant and it was exploitable regardless.

a bunch of people here posted screenshots of device manager on boards that do support it. there are boards that do not support IME and don't have that device. you can still install an i5 or an i7 that has vPro support in them.

likewise you can install a celeron, pentium, or i3 that does not support vpro in one of those boards they took the screen shots from. in either case, IME should not be active because it requires both chipset and cpu support.

this is not difficult

the issue is that going by what other people are saying the board support is very common

which would imply that a hell of a lot of consumer systems with i5 and i7 processors are vulnerable, maybe even most of them, not the relative rarity you're making it out to be

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'll concede that point, i've sold plenty of systems without it, but it appears to be included on many q/x/z series chipset boards, especially in the enthusiast range. it looks like the management engine device is present even in cases where they don't actually support amt as well

e: looks like the ME pci device component was made a standard part of the intel chipset in 2015, previously it was optional

i'm curious how intel defines "Intel-based consumer PCs" now

Also whoa hey:

https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00075&languageid=en-fr posted:

Determine if you have an Intel® AMT, Intel® SBA, or Intel® ISM capable system: https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-5693. If you determine that you do not have an Intel® AMT, Intel® SBA, or Intel® ISM capable system then no further action is required.

https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-5693 posted:

Look for the Intel Management Engine Interface driver. Look in the Windows* Device Manager for the Intel ME device. (Note that some PCs may have the Intel ME and Intel MEI driver, but they are not Intel vPro Technology PCs, so this method is not always reliable.)

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 2, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
worth posting the actual site here too http://www.randomsanity.org/

quote:

How it Works
Get an array of 64 bytes from whatever source of cryptographically-secure randomness you are using
Encode them as hex, and make a REST query to the randomsanity service
The service will return ‘true’ if it those bytes look random and nobody else has submitted the same stream of bytes; otherwise it will return ‘false’.

i definitely trust a http website written by a bitcoin man to verify my crypto has enough crypto in it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how to bytes "look random"

what does random look like?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
bytes presumably "look random" by just meeting some minimum amount of entropy, which is fairly trivial to determine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is a joke

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
monkey chease

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Meat Beat Agent posted:

bytes presumably "look random" by just meeting some minimum amount of entropy, which is fairly trivial to determine

quote:

The service will return ‘true’ if it those bytes look random and nobody else has submitted the same stream of bytes; otherwise it will return ‘false’.

quote:

// Best-effort "have we ever seen this array of bytes before?"
"best effort" :haw:

ah well maybe it can do a basic entropy tes--

the fun part is that you can't reliably link any examples because anybody trying to test the same observation will see "false" :downs:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i am literally angry laughing over here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

the fun part is that you can't reliably link any examples because anybody trying to test the same observation will see "false" :downs:

see? it's just getting more secure every time you use it

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
neat, they return a never-before-seen value as an X-Entropy header:

Python code:
# headers from a prev request
{'Content-Length': '5', 'Server': 'Google Frontend',
'X-Cloud-Trace-Context': 'ccf3f2e90310ec322c1e1fe27f59040e;o=1',
'Date': 'Tue, 02 May 2017 21:38:06 GMT', 'Content-Type': 'application/json',
'X-Entropy': 'f1ccd7df4bb7710e6e244b8a12e1d037329ba4234cba9a634abae9892604e324'}
>>> requests.get('http://rest.randomsanity.org/v1/q/{}'.format('f1ccd7df4bb7710e6e244b8a12e1d037329ba4234cba9a634abae9892604e324')).content
'true'

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Dex posted:

neat, they return a never-before-seen value as an X-Entropy header:

Python code:
# headers from a prev request
{'Content-Length': '5', 'Server': 'Google Frontend',
'X-Cloud-Trace-Context': 'ccf3f2e90310ec322c1e1fe27f59040e;o=1',
'Date': 'Tue, 02 May 2017 21:38:06 GMT', 'Content-Type': 'application/json',
'X-Entropy': 'f1ccd7df4bb7710e6e244b8a12e1d037329ba4234cba9a634abae9892604e324'}
>>> requests.get('http://rest.randomsanity.org/v1/q/{}'.format('f1ccd7df4bb7710e6e244b8a12e1d037329ba4234cba9a634abae9892604e324')).content
'true'

Incase you forgot what you sent and lose all hope of ever recovering your once in a lifetime and officially verified random string.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lol i entered "Weedlord Bonerhitler" in hex and got true

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
so is this dashlane thing any good?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they have a whitepaper on their security model

https://www.dashlane.com/download/Dashlane-Security-Whitepaper-V2.8.pdf

evidently created in word

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Meat Beat Agent posted:

How do you determine "some minimum amount of entropy" in a byte stream that you do not know the source of?
Hint: You can't

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

re: web site push notification chat from a couple days ago

I think they may be supercookies.

There's a unique per-subscription URL involved and a unique client-generated ECDH keypair.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

re: web site push notification chat from a couple days ago

I think they may be supercookies.

are those ones you have to click ok to twice?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How do you determine "some minimum amount of entropy" in a byte stream that you do not know the source of?
Hint: You can't

code:
npm install --save string-entropy

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dex posted:

worth posting the actual site here too http://www.randomsanity.org/

i definitely trust a http website written by a bitcoin man to verify my crypto has enough crypto in it

i really don't understand how the bitcoin protocol hasn't been completely destroyed yet with morons like this as core devs. it's got to be outright dumb luck.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

code:
npm install --save string-entropy

lol (the example looks familiar)

https://www.npmjs.com/package/string-entropy posted:

code:
Example

var entropy = require('string-entropy');

console.log(entropy('correct horse battery staple'));
// outputs  132 

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"disable the ME" isn't a sensible phrase for a few years now, as tenuous as it was before that point

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

minivanmegafun posted:

i really don't understand how the bitcoin protocol hasn't been completely destroyed yet with morons like this as core devs. it's got to be outright dumb luck.

most of the really obvious problems with the protocol itself got fixed in the first few years before it got big.

now all of the problems left will never get fixed because miners will try to block it, but they're mostly things that don't break the protocol, just things that make bitcoin suck to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

ME was a mistake

I'm sure your parents love you and are proud of you regardless of the circumstances of your birth

• Locked thread