Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

echoing everything already said, but also worth mentioning there's an updated release of f/sn that cuts out all the sexual content including the aforementioned sexual abuse. people mention fate/zero a lot but i wouldn't recommend starting with it at all even though it's a prequel, it technically spoils some really big reveals and it's just kind of a way edgier and dumber story than f/sn and will give you a very different idea of what the series in general is like if you're actually trying to get into it

So I'd want to start with the new F/sn if I wanted to check it out? I do like magical minutiae and modern wizard bullshit with an Abrahamic backing. Is it on Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
MOBAs feel like you're playing the twitch aspects of RTS's, which is the worst part of any RTS. Like you're playing it as an action game, clicking around to dodge poo poo.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

The difference is that if I want to play Mortal Kombat or For Honor or Starcraft right now, I can do a whole bunch of matches where the only thing people say is "GG" if they even say anything at all.

Oh boy, you can get some fine choice reactions from Starcraft players if you just worker rush them right at the start

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bogart posted:

So I'd want to start with the new F/sn if I wanted to check it out? I do like magical minutiae and modern wizard bullshit with an Abrahamic backing. Is it on Steam?
Basically. It's the 2012 Realta Nua version you want, which has three separate installs for each route. Unfortunately it's not available officially in English, relying instead upon a fan translation patch. But given how VNs on Steam have gone recently I would not be surprised if someday it does wind up there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macarius Wrench posted:

Oh boy, you can get some fine choice reactions from Starcraft players if you just worker rush them right at the start

Most of the time you'll only get the quiet dignity of the ragequit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cardboard Box A posted:

Darksiders is back!

It's uh... it's Starcraft Ghost?

I'm actually pretty thrilled about this. :allears:

Darksiders clearly had a ton of love poured into it even if it's a little janky, and it didn't deserve to go down with THQ.

Also: The other two are on sale in a bundle this week! Bonus.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

I still have faith given that this is coming from id Software, which had virtually everything going against it from the word go last year and then turned out with one of the best games of the year.

Every multiplayer shooter not named Splatoon is bound to have loot boxes now, I've accepted that in my heart. I'd be more worried about it if this was coming from EA or Ubisoft. When is this coming out?

Quake Champions is not being made by id. I played in the beta too. Gameplay is largely exactly the same as Quake 3/Live but it has all of the bullshit F2P mechanics and monetization between you and the game. There's no real reason to play it over Quake Live, in my opinion. Like none whatsoever. It's kind of weird how it doesn't do ANYTHING better than its predecessors.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dota owns because you can use allchat to take advantage of the toxicity of the playerbase and get the enemy team to tilt so you win. In fact in the recent big tournament the 16th seed took out the 1st seed by using taunts in the middle of fights and beat the 1st seed because they tilted so hard. Of course in combination with good plays but the experience and skill differential meant the 1st seed really should not have lost those games that hard if at all. It was glorious to watch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like how condemned's gameplay makes it look like a game that's just all about brutal violent horror but then you get to the cutscenes and the crime scene portions and it becomes a mix of way weirder, goofier horror and a paranormal crime procedural and the main character is just kind of a police dude who happens to have a weird brain and a reinforced skeleton

which makes it more lol how condemned 2 apparently goes back on all of that and also throws in the illuminati

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

A moba but when you're dead you aren't allowed to type.

I'll take my check in steam dollars Valve.

Hell, Counter Strike practically does this.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Colonel posted:

i like how condemned's gameplay makes it look like a game that's just all about brutal violent horror but then you get to the cutscenes and the crime scene portions and it becomes a mix of way weirder, goofier horror and a paranormal crime procedural and the main character is just kind of a police dude who happens to have a weird brain and a reinforced skeleton

which makes it more lol how condemned 2 apparently goes back on all of that and also throws in the illuminati

Both Condemned games are great. The second one kind of goes off the rails (ok, very much goes off the rails) but it's worth it for the great combat and the bear. Oh my god that bear level.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

mutata posted:

Quake Champions is not being made by id. I played in the beta too. Gameplay is largely exactly the same as Quake 3/Live but it has all of the bullshit F2P mechanics and monetization between you and the game. There's no real reason to play it over Quake Live, in my opinion. Like none whatsoever. It's kind of weird how it doesn't do ANYTHING better than its predecessors.

Graphics, freeness and the fact that it's new will mean it'll probably get a bigger population.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dewgy posted:

Both Condemned games are great. The second one kind of goes off the rails (ok, very much goes off the rails) but it's worth it for the great combat and the bear. Oh my god that bear level.

i'd like to play it but it's the one monolith fps that never got ported to pc. rip

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want a new single player Quake that is based on Quake 1. I liked that setting better then Quake 2.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
whew I really thought that new bandai namco IP was by from, and was really not digging the artstyle

turns out its not a fromsoft project, just another "souls-like." Good, the art style was waaaay too over the top (take note, this is what non-anime fans refer to as too anime) and I am a huge fan of from soft's more subtle approach so this was leaving a yucky taste in my mouth.

It might be worth checking out next year I guess, but its "grimdark" approach combined with the art style is pretty eyeroll-inducing. Who knows though, won't hurt to keep this one on the radar.

Here's a link to the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNefvCy70vA

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 2, 2017

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It's by the guys who did Godeater. So I"m not sure if it will have "souls" style type combat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm itching for another good turn-based JRPG to play after Persona 5 and it just made me remember how I utterly failed to get into Bravely Second. I loved Bravely Default, but somehow, even with the cool things it does (like front-loading the new and exciting jobs), I just couldn't get into Bravely Second at all.

I think it's just because its difficulty balance is totally hosed. On Normal, the bosses are too easy if you know anything about manipulating the Brave/Default system. But on Hard, the random battles are way overtuned, and because leveling up relies on chaining battles together, you're going to have a significantly harder time leveling up enough to take on the bosses if you stay on Hard. I appreciate that you can change the difficulty and even the random encounter rate at any time but doing that just made me fall into a really boring play pattern (go through the dungeon with random battles off, reach save point, turn difficulty down and encounters way up to level a bit, turn difficulty to Hard for the boss).

While I love that I have so much control over things like the encounter rate, I kinda wish the game had just been made so that I don't need to have that control. Is that weird? Have I totally lost touch with what makes games good and accessible? I dunno. It didn't bother me in Bravely Default, but that was because the game just felt like it was well-balanced on Hard and I never needed to adjust the difficulty at all or do anything weird to level up at the right rate. The "repeat everything four times" part got old and I turned off encounters at that point (and did some grinding in later chapters, I don't really mind grinding sometimes), but other than that it just felt like a game that fit together a lot better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

whew I really thought that new bandai namco IP was by from, and was really not digging the artstyle

turns out its not a fromsoft project, just another "souls-like." Good, the art style was waaaay too over the top (take note, this is what non-anime fans refer to as too anime) and I am a huge fan of from soft's more subtle approach so this was leaving a yucky taste in my mouth.

It might be worth checking out next year I guess, but its "grimdark" approach combined with the art style is pretty eyeroll-inducing. Who knows though, won't hurt to keep this one on the radar.

Here's a link to the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNefvCy70vA

Referring to that as grimdark is sort of bizarre when it's basically just Bloodborne with the serial numbers filed off by someone's anime doll.

Harrow posted:

I appreciate that you can change the difficulty and even the random encounter rate at any time but doing that just made me fall into a really boring play pattern (go through the dungeon with random battles off, reach save point, turn difficulty down and encounters way up to level a bit, turn difficulty to Hard for the boss).

You could do that in Bravely Default too though. It's what a lot of people I know did playing through the game.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

exquisite tea posted:

Most of the time you'll only get the quiet dignity of the ragequit.

SC2 has its own swathe of winners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_IKw-Z2HE

An opponent from within the last month:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

I'm itching for another good turn-based JRPG to play after Persona 5

I think people say Tales of Berseria is really good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You could do that in Bravely Default too though. It's what a lot of people I know did playing through the game.

Yeah, I went back and edited my post to include that. I think the thing was that I never felt like I needed to in Bravely Default. I started on Hard and I thought it was a satisfying balance all the way through to when I started getting broken job combinations (at which point it was really easy, but, well, I'm the one who decided to pass that Blood Blade around so everyone fully healed themselves with every attack :v:). I never felt compelled to ride the difficulty or encounter rate sliders because hanging out on Hard, the random battles still felt like a reasonable but not tedious challenge. Either Bravely Second amped up random battle difficulty a lot or I'm somehow way worse at Bravely games than when I played Bravely Default, because Second's random battles on Hard are horrible and I don't think I'd have gotten through two dungeons if I hadn't started turning off encounters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Berseria isn't turn-based though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It's not turn-based.

It is really good though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm itching for another good turn-based JRPG to play after Persona 5

Play the Trails series

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played a Tales game in a long time, so maybe I can look past the turn-based thing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It is really good though.

If you want another PS4 turn based RPG try Digimon Cyber Sleuth or World of Final Fantasy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Might wanna brush up on birds first.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Play the Trails series

I've heard that's really good. Do I need to start at the beginning, or is there a good jumping-on point anywhere else? I'm cool either way, just wondering which one to get first if I jump in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I went back and edited my post to include that. I think the thing was that I never felt like I needed to in Bravely Default. I started on Hard and I thought it was a satisfying balance all the way through to when I started getting broken job combinations (at which point it was really easy, but, well, I'm the one who decided to pass that Blood Blade around so everyone fully healed themselves with every attack :v:). I never felt compelled to ride the difficulty or encounter rate sliders because hanging out on Hard, the random battles still felt like a reasonable but not tedious challenge. Either Bravely Second amped up random battle difficulty a lot or I'm somehow way worse at Bravely games than when I played Bravely Default, because Second's random battles on Hard are horrible and I don't think I'd have gotten through two dungeons if I hadn't started turning off encounters.

Bravely Second is absolutely tuned with the idea you already finished Bravely Default but I think it gives you such powerful tools that I had the opposite experience. Hard was too easy generally especially once you start cheesing poo poo with Wizard and other classes. I found myself tearing through stuff and had to actually go back and make sure to kill more enemies to fill out the enemy notes. I think it really depends on how all-in you go on breaking it bu to me BS's problem was more than it gives you insanely powerful tools and almost nothing that can stand up to them, not even the optional bosses or super Ba'als.

Harrow posted:

I've heard that's really good. Do I need to start at the beginning, or is there a good jumping-on point anywhere else? I'm cool either way, just wondering which one to get first if I jump in.

Trails in the Sky is where you generally want to start (though that's PS3/V) but keep in mind it can be very slow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berseria has pretty good combat and if you have any trouble with it you can turn down the difficulty wherever you're having trouble and it's pretty much a cake walk. it's the absolute best game in the series, it's a bit slow for act 1 but like immediately after that it picks up into something really great that keeps building momentum and getting better and better until you reach the end, and velvet is one of the best jrpg protags ever

for trails, starting with the first game in either sky or cold steel are both equally valid. sky is the first one in the series and it's really good but if you want a more refined game cold steel is also written so you can just jump right in

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 2, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Bravely Second is absolutely tuned with the idea you already finished Bravely Default but I think it gives you such powerful tools that I had the opposite experience. Hard was too easy generally especially once you start cheesing poo poo with Wizard and other classes. I found myself tearing through stuff and had to actually go back and make sure to kill more enemies to fill out the enemy notes. I think it really depends on how all-in you go on breaking it bu to me BS's problem was more than it gives you insanely powerful tools and almost nothing that can stand up to them, not even the optional bosses or super Ba'als.

I think I probably stopped playing Second just before I would've broken stuff wide open with Wizard, but yeah, that'd be a problem, too. I know by the end of Default I was basically never in danger again except in the one fight with four job crystal holders in Chapter 8 that was really status ailment based, because it meant I couldn't use my Poison BP battery without leaving myself open to getting owned by the Salve-maker. Other than that I was pretty much immortal from Chapter 4 onward and it did get kind of old.

Looking at the jobs in Second, it definitely seems like you don't really even need to try all that hard to break the game in half. What's the Wizard skill that just vaporizes things, Rain?

ImpAtom posted:

Trails in the Sky is where you generally want to start (though that's PS3/V) but keep in mind it can be very slow.

Well, I wouldn't mind having a second game for my Vita. (I joke, I have more than just P4G, but that just because they came with the used Vita I bought...)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mordja posted:

Graphics, freeness and the fact that it's new will mean it'll probably get a bigger population.

Oh, sure, but the above is my take on it. In my opinion, there is no reason to play it, really.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Shindragon posted:

It's by the guys who did Godeater. So I"m not sure if it will have "souls" style type combat.

Am I missing something? The trailer seems to show a combat system that apes bloodborne and maybe nioh, rather than GEB's floatier combat

It makes total sense that it's from the GEB crowd though, I knew the art style reminded me of something other than *anime*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

They're all set in the same world, in English there's only really two jumping on points, Trails in the Sky First Chapter (PSP/Vita/PC) an older very slow and wordy JRPG which is cool and has really good characters and world if you like that sort of thing. And Trails of Cold Steel 1 (Vita/PS3 and PC sometime soon) much more modern faster paced game that takes a few cues from Persona's structure but is still its own thing.
Cold Steel has some references and recurring characters but you don't need to have played the earlier games to know what's going on.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I laughed at the bit in the Code Vein trailer where they are fighting a souls-esque 12 ft fall human enemy and it turns around and has a generic anime girl face. It's a way of rendering people that gets more and more jarring for me the more detail and 3d-depth is added to everything else in a game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

berseria has pretty good combat and if you have any trouble with it you can turn down the difficulty wherever you're having trouble and it's pretty much a cake walk. it's the absolute best game in the series, it's a bit slow for act 1 but like immediately after that it picks up into something really great that keeps building momentum and getting better and better until you reach the end, and velvet is one of the best jrpg protags ever

for trails, starting with the first game in either sky or cold steel are both equally valid. sky is the first one in the series and it's really good but if you want a more refined game cold steel is also written so you can just jump right in

Does berseria get some mileage if you played vesperia(i think that's the thousand year sequal)?
Because vesp is kind of dragging and I put it down 2 months ago because of it, but possibly getting more enjoyment out of its improved prequel might motivate me to finally beat a Tales game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Looking at the jobs in Second, it definitely seems like you don't really even need to try all that hard to break the game in half. What's the Wizard skill that just vaporizes things, Rain?

Rain is probably the easiest but there's a ton of things that can do it. Hammer for example means you can pretty trivially be hitting 9999 damage basically the moment you get something strong to combo it with (Summoner stands out here.) Rain is absurdly because when you're hitting for 9999 multiple times an attack there are very few things that can survive very long. Physical damage is pretty heavily nerfed except for Mass Attack cheese though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I laughed at the bit in the Code Vein trailer where they are fighting a souls-esque 12 ft fall human enemy and it turns around and has a generic anime girl face. It's a way of rendering people that gets more and more jarring for me the more detail and 3d-depth is added to everything else in a game.

Right? At first I thought it was From Soft's doing and my internal voice was screeching "Myazaki!!! What is you doin', child?!"

still can't wait to see what those (probably very overworked) developers at from have been working on lately, it's supposed to be 3 different projects

surely one will be as good as bloodborne, right???

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Definitely start with Trails in the Sky 1 on whatever platform is most convenient to you and then just play through them all in order. The release order for the english translations is a little wonky as they skipped over 3 games after the first two Trails in the Sky to get to Trails of Cold steel, but we're getting Trails in the Sky 3 tomorrow and maybe someday we'll get the other two skipped games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm still holding out hope for the crossbell games, the weird in-between duology of trails that takes place around the same point in time as cold steel and centers around you playing as a cop beating up criminals with cyber tonfas in a small city caught in a land dispute between two gargantuan nations

Nasgate posted:

Does berseria get some mileage if you played vesperia(i think that's the thousand year sequal)?
Because vesp is kind of dragging and I put it down 2 months ago because of it, but possibly getting more enjoyment out of its improved prequel might motivate me to finally beat a Tales game.

vesperia is not remotely connected to berseria. berseria is a distant prequel to tales of zestiria, but you don't have to play tales of zestiria and in fact probably shouldn't because there are only a few important connections and none of them are critical to enjoying berseria, and in fact add nothing but frustration. tales of zestiria is a very bad game and the only things you'll get from understanding the connections is an understanding of how much berseria had to mop up its mess

• Locked thread