Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get rid of your Comcast modem and stop paying them $5 a month imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just get rid of Comcast

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Variable_H posted:

ISP provided router/modem combos are literal garbage and you'd be well served to disable the routing functions and add your own router to the network. All of your other devices that are running fine would likely see increased speeds as well.

I can confirm this, bought a modem/router combo, because it was a cheap way to fulfill both needs. Used it for about 4 years, and just recently bought a modem and a router, gained about 100 mb/s. Totally worth it, and I wish I would've just done it from the start.

Also, going to parrot what others have said, buy your own drat modem and router. The one you borrow from Comcast they charge you for, is going to end up costing more than buying your own.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

Just get rid of Comcast

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The Android Thread - Just get rid of Comcast

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I want a Pixel Warrior gang tag

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fartzone_42069 posted:

Okay! Thanks so much guys. I post a lot, and in a wordy way like I even have a retard accent when I type.

For fun, at the time I was eligible for a discount by the ever-benevolent technological overlords of Best Buy and VerizonCorp, January, 2017. What phone should have I bought?!

Pixel, but you wouldn't have received it until now

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

My gf got a really good deal on an Xfinity package. I'm ashamed as a proper goony nerd I compromised on bandwidth. FiOS ftw.

Just did a speed test again and now the phone is getting 60mbit d/l! But it's intermittent. I'm sure it'll gently caress up again. Plus the Speed Test app is connecting to a Comcast server. So, fake news!

I know this is the wrong thread, but we're all nerds and friends now. What's a good modem to get and what kind of issues could I expect, or headaches setting it up since it's not the priority flashing light tower of shitiness the Comcast Overmind expects as a device?

I got that cheap router on the way now. If it still sucks then I'll consider a modem. The router is just 2.4ghz 802.11n because we're just 50down, 10up, nothing fancy needed.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 2, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fwiw I use the ISP provided modem with a Netgear router and everything is fine

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Blue Train posted:

As long as you aren't using the inbuilt wifi since it's lovely and they host those free XfinityWifi networks off them. So you get to pay $5 for the privilege of letting Comcast piggyback a network off of your connection! :allears:

Netgear routers own and I get great speeds with my Nighthawk AC1900 on my S7 Edge.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Blue Train posted:

:same: though at&t and not comcast.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Welp. I hope the humble TP-Link N450 is up to the task. TP. Lol.

I post a lot. Thanks for your help! It will slightly enhance my life. :)

And ya, gently caress comcast.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

TP Link is basically always trash so good luck

What we really need are Ethernet adapters for our phones

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Variable_H posted:

Get this, go into your Xfinity shitbox settings and disable the router features, just use it as your modem, and put the new router on the network and let it handle everything.

This advice is great. Listen up, Fartz. Cancel your shitbox N450 router, this will be much faster and actually on the current wifi band. (It'll still have a slower, older radio in it.)

It's fine to use Comcast hardware for your modem if you like paying them rent? But modems are pretty simple, just get one. Routers require some research (which this guy will never do)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I want a Pixel Warrior gang tag

I don't have any actual graphic design skills but I've got a friend who's willing to bang a tag out when he's got some time, so. SOON.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I got myself a Netgear R7800 (Nighthawk X4S), tossed LEDE on it, and enabled a simple QoS algorithm. Both my wired desktop and my wireless Galaxy S8 (on 5GHz AC) get the same download speeds (~75Mbps). I'm pretty happy. Plus LEDE let me set my SSID to 🚽💩

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google Wifi with Google Pixel, Google wifi hooked directly to the ONT via Ethernet. FiOS service is 75/75, I can speed test 86/86 from the bottom of my yard far away from the house.

Though, on LTE, I speed test around 145mbps on my Pixel.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

You sure? That thing is a refurb with not great ratings and people reporting DOA equipment. :ohdear: The shitbox I ordered has a lot of reviews and generally better ones. I trust yall more though.

I guess I could buy a modem too. The $10/month definitely adds up to the cost of a modem. It's still a really cheap deal that we have though. I'm afraid if I set something up it'll go all to hell. I just want my phone's WiFi to work at home. So I don't go over on data like I did this month.

Also, while I'm here. How do I set the Gmail app and Chrome to download to the SD card vs internal memory? I've Googled and only found posts from 2013 (that weren't helpful).

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fartzone_42069 posted:

Also, while I'm here. How do I set the Gmail app and Chrome to download to the SD card vs internal memory? I've Googled and only found posts from 2013 (that weren't helpful).

P sure you don't

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fartzone_42069 posted:

Don't janitor your phone

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Whatcha talking about? The last file I downloaded from Gmail is apparently in Gmail's cache or some poo poo, so I can't even move it to the SD card. Or so it seems...

So order the Linksys AC 900 refurb instead?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fartzone_42069 posted:

Whatcha talking about? The last file I downloaded from Gmail is apparently in Gmail's cache or some poo poo, so I can't even move it to the SD card. Or so it seems...

Go to downloads, long press the file, press the three dot menu, then copy to...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don't Janitor Your Phone
One Plus One Equals Deuce
The Best $800 Phone As Of 05/01/17 Is Still The Pixel XL.
Get Rid Of Comcast
Samsung: Does What It Says On The Tin

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

fartzone_42069 posted:

So order the Linksys AC 900 refurb instead?

They weren't necessarily saying my pick for a router was best, but more that you should just go ahead with wireless ac instead of getting something that is already out of date like the N450. I just picked something really quick that was in the same price range from a brand I'm familiar with and would buy myself. I personally use a Netgear R6300, but this TP Link would probably work just fine. I just don't have any personal opinion on TP Link as a brand, so I'm not sure if it can really be recommended or not.

Not trying to drive you out of this thread, but this one can probably give you a more definitive answer so you don't waste money: The Home Networking Megathread - Yes the OP is accurate, stop asking.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

You should drive me out of here. I'm the worst poster.

I ordered the Linksys, because I decided it was more modern technology for about the same price. Just have the risk of a refurb dud. But with the other one being a super cheapo router, the risk of non-function is probably equal with either.

Wish me luck! Thanks for the help! :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wrap it up boys. AP says you shouldn't buy a Pixel. Samsungs for everybody!

And then today he posted that the Pixel is still the best phone he's ever used

Guys, I'm beginning to think this "tech journalism" might be more about driving traffic than anything!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You see, it's actually about ethics in tech journalism.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Has anybody else tried out the Dex? https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15495036/samsung-dex-station-galaxy-s8-review-desktop-dock

It looks so cool! But I think the drawback is I honestly don't need another computer in my house...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Just stick a mini hdmi port on the phone, use a USB otg cable or bt for mouse and keyboard

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Blue Train posted:

Just stick a mini hdmi port on the phone, use a USB otg cable or bt for mouse and keyboard

Honestly, what? You're saying that if you connect the phone to a usb hub with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse already plugged in, it'll work the same way?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

Has anybody else tried out the Dex? https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15495036/samsung-dex-station-galaxy-s8-review-desktop-dock

It looks so cool! But I think the drawback is I honestly don't need another computer in my house...

I'm hoping to get a live demo from Samsung soon so I will let you know!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

Honestly, what? You're saying that if you connect the phone to a usb hub with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse already plugged in, it'll work the same way?

P much altho I was thinking of a logitech dongle, its same idea as the android tv boxes

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Or are you saying this allows you to plug the phone into an existing computer and have its display mirrored on the monitor because that's dumb as gently caress

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So this $150 box does what exactly that a $150 Chromebox wouldn't? It's the dumbest idea so it's no surprise who's selling it.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

clamiam45 posted:

Seems like a solution looking for a problem, but a pretty cool achievement none the less.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

So this $150 box does what exactly that a $150 Chromebox wouldn't? It's the dumbest idea so it's no surprise who's selling it.

- single point of failure
-

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rereading what I wrote and given my views on Samsung that came out a lot more negative than I meant.

If there's anything that Samsung truly understands, it's that there are a significant number of people willing to pay for consumer tech of dubious utility and they do a great job chasing that segment. If there's any way you could call them "innovative", it's in exactly that space. Some examples would be going to super large screens, adding in stylus support, going full screen, curved displays... the list goes on. The thing is that most of those have questionable utility and all had detractors but some worked out not so badly.

It's not a surprise for Samsung to rush into this idea in this context and I think they'll do alright with it. I mean to say that it won't be good, it won't work well, but they'll sell to all those people who are just too in love with the idea to admit that it's dumb. And who knows, maybe they'll end up making it not too bad. They already apparently did way better than Microsoft (not a high bar to cross) without even fully controlling the platform.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have access to a Nexus 4 that is basically used as an emergency/backup phone. It's on 5.1.1 lolipop. I could flash Marshmallow, but I would like to know the benefits and drawbacks first. Most importantly, will things likely run more smoothly or less smoothly on the device? I'm used to iOS where you generally do not want to update to teh last supported version.

e: I read Nougat is also possible.

e2: wow there is an entire subreddit for this phone. There are a dozen custom kernel and OS configurations, but for stability and performance I'll probably stick with 5.1.1 unless someone here can recommend otherwise.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 3, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
5.1.1 is the latest version for that phone.

While you may be able to get something later running I'd say it isn't worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

I have access to a Nexus 4 that is basically used as an emergency/backup phone. It's on 5.1.1 lolipop. I could flash Marshmallow, but I would like to know the benefits and drawbacks first. Most importantly, will things likely run more smoothly or less smoothly on the device? I'm used to iOS where you generally do not want to update to teh last supported version.

e: I read Nougat is also possible.

That's more a root thread question but I wouldn't expect it to run any worse and in fact I'd expect it to run a little better. While you're at it you can enable LTE support and while it won't be up to date in terms of security patches it will be better than if it were just left on Lollipop.

There is really no drawback to it assuming you know what you're doing. There's definitely not an iOS-like dropoff in performance to be had and even if there was, returning to stock is trivial, literally one line to be typed in the terminal.

dissss posted:

5.1.1 is the latest version for that phone.

While you may be able to get something later running I'd say it isn't worth the effort.

It's worth doing just to enable LTE since 3G networks aren't what they used to be in terms of coverage.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 3, 2017