Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I think more to do with anal virginity integrity.
:widowsnypa:

staberind fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Phrosphor posted:

Does anyone know from experience, or have any idea if Some Assembly Required and Horizon will play nice with each other?

Does Horizon do anything to power armour? I like the idea behind SAR, but if Horizon makes power armour a lot harder to use already then it doesn't seem worth it.

I'm also interested in this if anyone has any idea!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I didn't encounter any issues combining them in my last playthrough, but I'm also not 100% certain what Horizon does to power armor, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd say with Horizon power armor is right now a bit useless just because of carry capacity changes, the mod maker is looking into it, but right now if you use pocketed armor which he buffed you'll carry less in the power armor then outside of it and that's not even including one of the systems he added to massively increase your carry weight that doesn't right now work in armor.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Alexander DeLarge posted:

You need to watch this to understand Bethesda. Why do you think Kirkbride went away after Morrowind?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTzi1I-Bg8

The gently caress is this :laffo:

Probably accurate.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd say with Horizon power armor is right now a bit useless just because of carry capacity changes, the mod maker is looking into it, but right now if you use pocketed armor which he buffed you'll carry less in the power armor then outside of it and that's not even including one of the systems he added to massively increase your carry weight that doesn't right now work in armor.

I was just about to create one of those invisi-carriers too. Time to put that on hold then and save the gear for something useful.

Yea my power armor has been gathering dust since I drug it back from Concord. As much as I like Horizon (without sim settlements because I kept getting a 999 Defense bug that seemed to summon godlike raiders) I expected faster power use and some steeper repair/improvement costs but now it won't be worth it for a long time or until the author re-balances it..

Maybe after I get the caravan system going so i can bring the armor to a settlement near someplace I need a big suit of armor to clear something out. Hmm I guess I thought that was planned, upgrade the protection and just play silver-age Iron Man on my enhanced Raider jerks, brook the dead later.

With this slowed level progression I think I may weep with joy when I can actually make a clean water pump. But it's still fun and tense as heck.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Just use the Salvage Beacons mod and not worry about carry weight again.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Romping through a WotC wasteland with a bunch of robot companions is a good idea in theory, but the implementation requires a load of Robot Repair Kits, which require Chemist 2 to construct. On the other hand, I basically never have to worry about carry weight, and my posse is starting to stand up competently to groups of raiders and ghouls at least, and can even clean up Forged if I contribute with a shitton of drugs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Automatron with a few mods does open up a lot of opportunities for fun playthrough variations. My current run has all my supply line provisioners as heavily-armed sentry bots, so any exploration in the middle of the commonwealth is fairly likely to have some very angry backup on my side.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

horse mans posted:

Romping through a WotC wasteland with a bunch of robot companions is a good idea in theory, but the implementation requires a load of Robot Repair Kits, which require Chemist 2 to construct. On the other hand, I basically never have to worry about carry weight, and my posse is starting to stand up competently to groups of raiders and ghouls at least, and can even clean up Forged if I contribute with a shitton of drugs.

Did they patch the drop rate of Robot Repair Kits? I had more than could possibly use just from wandering around.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

Did they patch the drop rate of Robot Repair Kits? I had more than could possibly use just from wandering around.

No, they still spawn in absurd abundance. Killing one pack of rust devils should supply you for months of in-game time.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I think the appearance of Rust Devils in WoTC is gated by the DLC's activation at level 15, which I just hit. So hopefully I'll see them starting to spawn in the Wasteland.

I'm also not sure, but I think proceeding in Minuteman quests and taking settlements has increased the number of Minuteman spawns, which is incredibly helpful. I hope joining the Brotherhood makes BoS spawns non-hostile, because playing with WotC is just a lottery of which terrible thing is going to show up in each spawn location, and the more often that spawn can be a friendly one, the better.

EDIT: Yessss

quote:

* Mod uses new mechanics to generate story faction spawns. That includes Minutemen patrols around the player owned settlements and Minutemen/BOS/Railroad patrols in central Boston and Cambridge areas. Minutemen settlement based patrols will become more numerous and expand their patrol area further from their base, based on settlement population and happiness, while chances to see Railroad and BOS groups will depend on story progression.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I tried Horizon + a bunch of mods suggested in the thread last night and wow it is like a different game. I came out of the vault into a blizzard and it was amazing. The audio reworks and added reverb are brilliant as well. I was sneaking through concord and there was a burst of lightning, the thunder made me nearly jump out of my seat. Suddenly I am very wary going everywhere, rushing to get back to Sanctuary at nightfall and spending a lot more time exploring the immediate area. I also went with Some Assembly Required and it made the first quest with Sturges and co very difficult. The starting armour spawns with a very damaged centerpiece and nothing else. I think I got very lucky because I found two pieces of raider power armour just lying around in the room that all the npc's sit in. It was just enough to get me through the fight with the raiders and Deathclaw. I brought the wrecked and powerless armour back to Sanctuary and for now it is just a statue. I know a lot of people said that power armour is a waste in Horizon because of the changes to carrying, but I was looking to it more being what you strap on when exploring a dangerous area for the first time or when you know a big fight is unavoidable, rather than something you wear all the time.

I am struggling a little with an immediate goal beyond "Get to level 5 asap for the first VANS perk". How do most people start off in Horizon? I need to get to level 3 asap as well so I can grab survivalist, I think I made a mistake getting hunter first.

One thing I haven't gotten working, is the Sim Settlements HUD Framework component with Def_UI, I installed the patch for Def_UI and HUD Framework, but there is also a Def_UI patch with Horizon and I wonder if they are fighting with each other? Has anyone made the two work?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Phrosphor posted:

I tried Horizon + a bunch of mods suggested in the thread last night and wow it is like a different game. I came out of the vault into a blizzard and it was amazing. The audio reworks and added reverb are brilliant as well. I was sneaking through concord and there was a burst of lightning, the thunder made me nearly jump out of my seat. Suddenly I am very wary going everywhere, rushing to get back to Sanctuary at nightfall and spending a lot more time exploring the immediate area. I also went with Some Assembly Required and it made the first quest with Sturges and co very difficult. The starting armour spawns with a very damaged centerpiece and nothing else. I think I got very lucky because I found two pieces of raider power armour just lying around in the room that all the npc's sit in. It was just enough to get me through the fight with the raiders and Deathclaw. I brought the wrecked and powerless armour back to Sanctuary and for now it is just a statue. I know a lot of people said that power armour is a waste in Horizon because of the changes to carrying, but I was looking to it more being what you strap on when exploring a dangerous area for the first time or when you know a big fight is unavoidable, rather than something you wear all the time.

I am struggling a little with an immediate goal beyond "Get to level 5 asap for the first VANS perk". How do most people start off in Horizon? I need to get to level 3 asap as well so I can grab survivalist, I think I made a mistake getting hunter first.

One thing I haven't gotten working, is the Sim Settlements HUD Framework component with Def_UI, I installed the patch for Def_UI and HUD Framework, but there is also a Def_UI patch with Horizon and I wonder if they are fighting with each other? Has anyone made the two work?

It's a pretty big milestone early on, what's wrong with that as a goal?

You're basically just trying to survive initially. Maybe try and work towards a settlement/region you plan on 'living in' for a while and slowly move over there and start clearing zones around it to give you breathing room?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Mr. Crow posted:

It's a pretty big milestone early on, what's wrong with that as a goal?

You're basically just trying to survive initially. Maybe try and work towards a settlement/region you plan on 'living in' for a while and slowly move over there and start clearing zones around it to give you breathing room?

Ah fair enough, I thought that hitting level 5 was a lofty goal to put after something else! I like the changes to Sim Settlements. I was worried they would make it very easy to get a bunch of farms up and running but getting the fertiliser and rotten foodstuffs actually made it challenging. (I thought you could make fertiliser at a chem station?)

The fallout ambiance tracks are quite spooky when you are crawling through the undergrowth praying not to run into some raiders. I forgot how eerie some of them sound. And the total silence during combat works really well too.

I am struggling with defense for my settlements however, I don't have any rifle parts to build turrets and nowhere near enough settlers to run farms and guard posts.. I hope the negative defense thing doesn't bite me in the rear end and mean I get swarmed by a really high level raid.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

turn off the TV posted:

Just use the Salvage Beacons mod and not worry about carry weight again.

That's part of horizon also, you can summon cargo robots iirc. Or a dog to help in combat. There's a lot of features I haven't tried yet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chronojam posted:

That's part of horizon also, you can summon cargo robots iirc. Or a dog to help in combat. There's a lot of features I haven't tried yet.

I was under the impression that the cargo bots are just an explanation for a straight carry weight increase. The Salvage Beacons mod teleports objects from a container to a workshop.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's a (storywise) passive stealth cargo robot you can grab in close proximity for an active carry weight boost, but there are actual npc robots you can manifest then hand off all your loot to, from what I remember reading.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I just read all the horizon articles yesterday, so it's still pretty fresh:

You can use a single-use craftable radio to summon a cargo bot npc with unlimited carry weight for 1 minute. At the end of the minute he disappears and his inventory is transferred to a 'scrap container' you previously built in a settlement.

There is also an armor piece (wrist band thingamabob) that has mod slots for which you can craft mods which give you large carry weight bonuses. The lore explanation is that this represents stealthed cargo bots which follow you around and hold your gear. For obvious reasons they were abstracted down to a magical bag of holding.

Anybody know if a quick-start or alternate start mod works well with Horizon? I think I screwed up my save by forgetting to uninstall Rulebreaker before I started. I just want to skip the scripted pre-war Sanctuary & vault 111 instead of spending 20 minutes going through it for the 100th time.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nevets posted:

I just read all the horizon articles yesterday, so it's still pretty fresh:

You can use a single-use craftable radio to summon a cargo bot npc with unlimited carry weight for 1 minute. At the end of the minute he disappears and his inventory is transferred to a 'scrap container' you previously built in a settlement.

There is also an armor piece (wrist band thingamabob) that has mod slots for which you can craft mods which give you large carry weight bonuses. The lore explanation is that this represents stealthed cargo bots which follow you around and hold your gear. For obvious reasons they were abstracted down to a magical bag of holding.

Anybody know if a quick-start or alternate start mod works well with Horizon? I think I screwed up my save by forgetting to uninstall Rulebreaker before I started. I just want to skip the scripted pre-war Sanctuary & vault 111 instead of spending 20 minutes going through it for the 100th time.

Would a save game work?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/70/

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Normally I'd figure yes, but I'm not sure how the changes to the pool of SPECIAL points would work.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nevets posted:

Normally I'd figure yes, but I'm not sure how the changes to the pool of SPECIAL points would work.

You can reallocate all stats at the end of the save, but yeah that may have problems. Start Me Up would probably work, as far as alt start mods go.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I've used Start Me Up with Horizon and everything seemed to work fine. I think Horizon recently added a Settings Holotape and sometimes those kinds of Holotapes that get added at the start of the game don't always play nice with Start Me Up, but as long as you can craft the Holotape elsewhere or add it through the console, it wouldn't be a problem even if it didn't work correctly.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

This. This is how one is meant to travel in the Commonwealth.

From left to right: Valentine, Me, Murderbot, Codsworth, Piper. If every faction gets roving gangs, then I get a roving gang.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I found some more raider power armour pieces when clearing out the comms room at the radar base near Sanctuary. Are these placed by Some Assembly Required or by Horizon? I never found pieces of power armour just lying around in the open next to a chest.

Is the only way to heal infections taking medicine that you craft? I got infested but I can't craft anything to cure it because I need Medic one, it is a little annoying.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

In very good mod news, I've been posting in a topic on the Nexus about optimizing the game, and mentioned that it's possible to drastically reduce the file size for properly optimized world edits.

Apparently after doing a good deal of testing another user there is writing an xEdit script to automate the incredibly time consuming manual aspect of the process. The end result is that it should be much easier for modders to dramatically improve performance in edited outdoor cells with a fraction of the size of what it would have been before. :toot:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
It sounds like this is heading in the direction of one of those must-have mods that nobody has a reason to play without.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
What is a good mod like Ressurection with grass and trees everywhere?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mpyro posted:

What is a good mod like Ressurection with grass and trees everywhere?

Resurrection is still available on Bethesda.net. However, there are some good alternatives on the Nexus:

Commonwealth Conifers Redux if you like green trees. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16509/

Rustbelt Flora if you like brown trees. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22527/

True Grass for your grass. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23469/

You can also combined Rustbelt Flora and Commonwealth Conifers to have a combo of green and brown trees, which I personally really like. Just load Commonwealth Conifers first and Rustbelt Flora second. There are some issues with floating grass, but it's a very nice combo.

Commonwealth Conifers does not come with a LOD, though, so you'll have to generate one yourself in the CK. It's a bit complicated just doing Commonwealth Confiers, and it's a massive pain in the rear end if you're combining both mods. If you want the latter setup I can send you my LOD files.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

I found some more raider power armour pieces when clearing out the comms room at the radar base near Sanctuary. Are these placed by Some Assembly Required or by Horizon? I never found pieces of power armour just lying around in the open next to a chest.

That's from SAR. Because you don't find frames of whole power armor anywhere now, there are a lot of little handplaced sections, generally in areas where there used to be power armor, but sometimes just in high-risk or out-of-the-way dungeons; the mod page mentions the Museum of Witchcraft, for example.

Most of the handplaced pieces are going to be raider or T-45 gear, but you will find T-51 sometimes. T-60 is only available by joining the Brotherhood or looting them, and there's exactly one set of X-01 in pieces scattered around the Commonwealth.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

aniviron posted:

That's from SAR. Because you don't find frames of whole power armor anywhere now, there are a lot of little handplaced sections, generally in areas where there used to be power armor, but sometimes just in high-risk or out-of-the-way dungeons; the mod page mentions the Museum of Witchcraft, for example.

Most of the handplaced pieces are going to be raider or T-45 gear, but you will find T-51 sometimes. T-60 is only available by joining the Brotherhood or looting them, and there's exactly one set of X-01 in pieces scattered around the Commonwealth.

Ah OK, it's a nice thing to find. I think my main goal needs to be getting level 5 for VANS, and then getting a purified water filter up asap. I am assuming I can drink from it by interacting and get no rads even if I am not producing enough to make purified water bottles?

The fact that there is only of each piece of X-01 in the Commonwealth is one of the things I really liked about SAR, making it a real quest to get that suit. My only problem is that one of the pieces Is on the Prydwind, in the quartermasters store area, and I really don't want to join the brotherhood... I only know about that piece and the Museum piece so far. Will leave looking for them until Much later!

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

turn off the TV posted:

Resurrection is still available on Bethesda.net. However, there are some good alternatives on the Nexus:

Commonwealth Conifers Redux if you like green trees. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16509/

Rustbelt Flora if you like brown trees. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22527/

True Grass for your grass. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23469/

You can also combined Rustbelt Flora and Commonwealth Conifers to have a combo of green and brown trees, which I personally really like. Just load Commonwealth Conifers first and Rustbelt Flora second. There are some issues with floating grass, but it's a very nice combo.

Commonwealth Conifers does not come with a LOD, though, so you'll have to generate one yourself in the CK. It's a bit complicated just doing Commonwealth Confiers, and it's a massive pain in the rear end if you're combining both mods. If you want the latter setup I can send you my LOD files.

Think ill give Resurrection another go and delete the audio file from it. I like the overgrown everywhere from it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phrosphor posted:

The fact that there is only of each piece of X-01 in the Commonwealth is one of the things I really liked about SAR, making it a real quest to get that suit. My only problem is that one of the pieces Is on the Prydwind, in the quartermasters store area, and I really don't want to join the brotherhood... I only know about that piece and the Museum piece so far. Will leave looking for them until Much later!

I wonder if they put the Prydwin one in the wreck if you blow it up

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

aniviron posted:

Well, sort of. Last night I found that there's still X-01 on top of pier 35 and for T-60 there is of course the rust devil tesla set in automatron. Still a great mod though.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Davoren posted:

Well, sort of. Last night I found that there's still X-01 on top of pier 35 and for T-60 there is of course the rust devil tesla set in automatron. Still a great mod though.

There is a patch that adds functionality for the automatron and nuka world sets. All the legendary items still exist but are scattered, like the tesla set.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Ah, should have realised DLC files would be separate, still everyone knows unique power armor is not for wearing, it's for displaying.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I speak Japanese only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQMPms1-47A

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

My beautiful butter bot baby.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Is that the official Japanese Bethesda account? I keep an eye on their Twitter feed because M pops up in there regularly, but I didn't know they had a YouTube as well.

It's even got a minute long video for Press X to Shaun. Glorious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

HitTheTargets posted:

Is that the official Japanese Bethesda account? I keep an eye on their Twitter feed because M pops up in there regularly, but I didn't know they had a YouTube as well.

It's even got a minute long video for Press X to Shaun. Glorious!

It's just a fan blog, but it's been running since at least Skyrim. The youtube channel is also really nice for checking out weapon mods, it showcases all of the animations very well without any fluff.