Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

poly and open-minded posted:

have a degree from one of the 7 approved english speaking nations (US, CA, UK, SA, NZ, AUS, IR) and don't have any felonies and you can get a job

being white and female helps a lot, too.
and it's not just "no felonies", it's "no arrests of any kind,whether or not they resulted in a prosecution"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

You'll probably only be able to find a hagwon job nowadays so a lack of dignity/self-respect is also necessary.

I teach at a Hagwon from the Twilight Zone. There's been zero complaints so far by me and overall they've never done anything hosed up to the foreign teachers.

Edit - that said it is in a sort of lovely tiwn in Gyeonggido

Chimie
Nov 22, 2013
Hagwons still poo poo tho. Like 95% of people who get hosed over in Korea are at Hagwons.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Used to know somebody at a hagwon who was told, "it was a mistake to hire you."

They got a lot of money from the court case.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Why is Korea playing down their relationship to China? P awkward that Xi called them out like that!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is this guy getting trolled in Korea?
https://streamable.com/o30tr :nws: for language

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I feel like I was just trolled by having to watch that gormless a-hole. But yes, that appears to be Korea

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Korean baseball question: What is the best part of the stadium to sit in? Is it like Japan where the fun, constantly cheering home fans sit in the right field bleachers?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

The cheer section is the best section

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FelicityGS posted:

The cheer section is the best section

Yeah, that's where I want to sit. What part of the stadium is that, typically? In Japan it's the right field bleachers.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

There are actual seats called "cheering section" at baseball games here. I don't know which game/stadium you're going to, but here's the Jamsil stadium seating chart : Jamsil Stadium Seats

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FelicityGS posted:

There are actual seats called "cheering section" at baseball games here. I don't know which game/stadium you're going to, but here's the Jamsil stadium seating chart : Jamsil Stadium Seats

Ah, I see. Thank you!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pig slut lisa posted:

Yeah, that's where I want to sit. What part of the stadium is that, typically? In Japan it's the right field bleachers.

Typically it's both sides. Home team tends to get sold out quicker but being in the visiting team's cheering section can be just as much fun.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

The nearer the cheerleaders, the better. But everyone in the stadium will be cheering regardless of section.

If you're going to Jamsil during the summer, the third base side gets some pretty intense sun.

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
I've got the week off starting Monday and I'm thinking of making a last minute trip to Asia. I was in Japan for a few weeks last year, and I don't think I have enough time to get a visa to China. I mostly want to go somewhere to eat/drink for cheap and do some hiking. South Korea seems to hit these points. Is this a good/bad time to go. Is Korea a Bad Idea™?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Gunstav posted:

I've got the week off starting Monday and I'm thinking of making a last minute trip to Asia. I was in Japan for a few weeks last year, and I don't think I have enough time to get a visa to China. I mostly want to go somewhere to eat/drink for cheap and do some hiking. South Korea seems to hit these points. Is this a good/bad time to go. Is Korea a Bad Idea™?

Definitely do Korea. This time of year is as beautiful as it gets in my opinion.

Used to work with a guy who had a girlfriend in Beijing. He liked to go for runs in the mornings. Visited her for a couple weeks and went to the doctor for a checkup after the trip, who said he was healthy... "but just stop smoking and you'll be fine." He wasn't a smoker.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Yeah, this is the brief window before it starts getting humid and lovely. June is when it becomes hell.

Download kakaotalk and add me, 'nullscan' and we'll get you into chat for real time suggestions.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Gunstav posted:

Korea fits that bill really well. An abundance of nice hikes, good food and alcohol are very cheap. Like Love Stole the Day said, this is also a good time of year for weather.

I've done nearly all of the notable Korean mountains, so if you join the kakao chat you can feel free to shoot me any questions about hiking destinations while you're here.

Taiwan wouldn't be a terrible choice either, though they're a bit further into summer and already have the humidity that we'll have in a month's time.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Highly recommend taking in a baseball or soccer game as well.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
If you go to a baseball game, make sure you tape an orange plastic bag to your head. Don't ask me why, just do it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jeonju is a trickster city where you find a bus stop with the route you want, the bus shows as arriving soon on the screen, you see the bus approaching, and then it turns two blocks before it gets to you and disappears off the screen.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Pride is this weekend. Go be a buncha big gay goons

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Thread is dead.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I blame Alex

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Just gotta convince some Koreans that Japanese are gonna take it over.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
10 more days :getin:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I'm here for a music festival and it's hot.

Not as bad as Wisconsin though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was worse a few weeks ago.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It was worse four days ago

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Ashley has had this grilled chicken with pineapple thing this past year and it's really good. Their barbecue ribs are extremely meaty, too.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Love Stole the Day posted:

Ashley has had this grilled chicken with pineapple thing this past year and it's really good. Their barbecue ribs are extremely meaty, too.

Please don't fakepost in here.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I've never been here in the summer before and whoa, why do people not have/not run air conditioning in their apartment just whoa

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of places have a kind of shared HOA heating/cooling thing and if you go over it is heavily expensive.
My place I was at a few years ago just had a window unit that I ran all day.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

TsarZiedonis posted:

I've never been here in the summer before and whoa, why do people not have/not run air conditioning in their apartment just whoa

because using AC is more expensive than not using AC, and if you've ever met a korean grandma you will understand

EDIT: longshot, but if anyone in the seoul area is interested in a Honda Shadow/Steed, my friend is selling his

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Why run the A/C when you can just buy one of those little battery fans--or use one of the many flyers you get as a paper fan!

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Winter is coming

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

idk there wasn't much of a winter last year.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is it ever going to stop raining here?

I really wanted to go biking along the riverside :(

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TsarZiedonis posted:

Is it ever going to stop raining here?

I really wanted to go biking along the riverside :(

I had so many grand plans for hikes during my last summer in Korea. Rain has hosed me hard on most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Even taking some days off work didn't help with getting a hike in. I think this is the wettest rainy season Korea has had since I got here